Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #151
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
Getting paid to drink Coronas and eat KFC and sell the odd tv when someone disturbs you! Yeah, good crew those guys- I've even been to a couple of their Christmas Parties! lol
Hahaha yep, that pretty much sums it up! I was a pretty average salesman though. Yeah they're a good bunch of guys, I never made it to one of their parties though...they sound pretty rowdy haha.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2015, 03:34 AM   #152
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

This is the family setup- what we use everything bar the epics for. As I've said before I know there's haters on the Bose gear, but it has it's place. This is precisely where it's perfect IMO. Everything we watch is in 5.1, there's one remote and the wife likes that there isn't towers sitting in the middle of the room. It sounds great for what it is too- certainly better than inbuilt tv speakers!

In a couple of the other photos you can see the Sonos system throughout. I love this stuff! Bowers and Wilkins speakers in ceiling (note there's four) and a cheeky Sonos sub hiding in the corner. It is AWESOME. I also have another four B&W in ceilings and another Sonos sub in the Alfresco area. We run a second Panasonic 39" TV out there too, with audio line ins on the Sonos zone players which mean I can even sit in the Alfresco and play Call of Duty on the PS4 that's inside whilst listening to it through the speakers and sub! Love this stuff!

2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #153
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Home Theatre systems

Nice of you to pause the best part of True Lies for us Jim.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #154
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sony 65" KD65X8500B UHD 4K 3D LED LCD TV will be joining my theatre setup Thursday night Managed to secure one of the last units available in Perth, most other shops are waiting 2-4 weeks for their next orders.

Retail is $3,699 on them (they're generally listed around the $3,300 online at GG/HN etc) and I'm picking it up for $2,942 or less. JB Hifi said they'd honour the lowest price I'd gotten quoted by another store...I asked if they'd beat it so he said as long as I bring in the written quote by the other store...so not sure on the final price but will be at LEAST $2,942 or better. Which I don't think is too bad at all.

I'm a bit gutted I missed out on a deal VideoPro online were running for their Boxing Day sales for $2,589...but then I didn't know about it until now, given I wasn't looking. Oh well, still reckon I've got a decent deal. Either way, it's a bit of a step up from my current 37" screen haha
3 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #155
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Nice job Graphicgoose. Getting a 4K TV is hard to get under $4k let alone $3k. I love my Sony TV. Just a superb unit all round. That's not a bad deal at all. I paid $3k for my 70" (non 4K) brand new delivered to my door a year ago due a connection I have. So to get that sort of deal direct out of the showroom isnt bad mate. They are a killer unit.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #156
rednose
RNS10S

Yep, Sony 70" (non 4K) has an awesome picture quality, 4K would be better again.

$2500 is what I paid with an extra 2 year warranty.

I paid $3300 for my 40" Bravia about 7 yrs ago.

TV's are pretty cheap these days considering the sizes they come in.
PTE6235 - 11.0 @ 135 on Nitto Invos - 10.4 @ 140 on ET Radials
rednose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #157
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, unfortunately Sony aren't selling the 70" version of the one I'm getting anymore. Still, 65" should be big enough
Old 10-02-2015, 12:14 AM   #158
rednose
RNS10S

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
Yeah, unfortunately Sony aren't selling the 70" version of the one I'm getting anymore. Still, 65" should be big enough
Not for long, kinda wish I went 80"

Seriously
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 12:31 AM   #159
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Not for long, kinda wish I went 80"

Seriously
Hahaha always the way! Oh well, $3k was the most I really wanted to spend on a tv...so it'll to. Massive upgrade from my current tv though!
4 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 02:38 AM   #160
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Nice pick up Goose! That'll be a nice upgrade to the theatre!

I'm going in to pick up my gear from west coast tomorrow, ended up ordering a Thor PS10 power conditioner too. Everything else is in bar the Audioquest cables and waiting on release of the Denon avrx7200 next month- I've got the first one they get!

By the time it gets here I should have everything ready to go and all of the .4 elements of the Atmos setup installed. Just watched 300 rise of an empire in 3D in the theatre and despite not being a great movie, was pretty bloody cool! Haven't been able to top Avatar and Tron for 3D goodness outside of the animated movies that really exploit the format.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 03:01 AM   #161
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers man, I'm looking forward to it. If it was my own house I'd have a projector in the theatre room...but given it's a rental it kinda has to be a tv.

I need to come check out your system once it's all together man!
Old 10-02-2015, 03:11 AM   #162
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
Cheers man, I'm looking forward to it. If it was my own house I'd have a projector in the theatre room...but given it's a rental it kinda has to be a tv.

I need to come check out your system once it's all together man!

Well you've got some great gear in their mate, I reckon it'll sound and look awesome! Like I said, I absolutely loved and miss my Focal Chorus 700's, they were sweet speakers. And so versatile- great for movies but handled music so well.

Hopefully the rest of the system should be up and running over the next 4-6 weeks and like I said earlier, probably the part I'm excited about the most is getting those monoblocks hooked up and giving those Neuphonix hell! You're welcome to come around for a look man, no problem! I'll even buy you a drink!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 10-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #163
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
OK, got a Q for the Audiophiles.

In the early days we were told base does not have direction, and that is why it is OK to have one subwoofer (BTW I disagree with this premise, and always have).
But now there are 5.2 and 7.2 systems with two subwoofers.

In such a system, are the two subwoofers processing the left sub 50hz, and right sub 50hz, or do they both have the same signal ?
Very deep bass doesn't have direction, and it is most certainly ok to have just one subwoofer.

99% (perhaps more) of our recordings have mono sub bass, therefore can faithfully be reproduced by a single mono sub.
All vinyl has mono sub bass.

Where multiple subs may be handy is simply due to room size, packaging and evening out room modes.

It's not a given though, that 2 subs will outperform 1 sub, unless the single sub is way to small for the given room and SPL required.
I would always prefer 1 high quality sub in favour of 2 poor quality subs.

It's preferable and cheaper to throw some bass traps in a room, than to purchase a second sub.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #164
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
Well you've got some great gear in their mate, I reckon it'll sound and look awesome! Like I said, I absolutely loved and miss my Focal Chorus 700's, they were sweet speakers. And so versatile- great for movies but handled music so well.

Hopefully the rest of the system should be up and running over the next 4-6 weeks and like I said earlier, probably the part I'm excited about the most is getting those monoblocks hooked up and giving those Neuphonix hell! You're welcome to come around for a look man, no problem! I'll even buy you a drink!
Thanks mate! I've always been super happy with my Chorus 700 gear...only thing I'd like would be a beefier sub, but other than that it's a fantastic setup. As you say, it's versatile and sounds good for both movies and music

Sweet as dude, you'll have to let me know once it's all done. Could kill 3 birds with 1 stone; theatre system, XY, modded and pumped FG
Old 10-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #165
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Very deep bass doesn't have direction, and it is most certainly ok to have just one subwoofer.

99% (perhaps more) of our recordings have mono sub bass, therefore can faithfully be reproduced by a single mono sub.
All vinyl has mono sub bass.

Where multiple subs may be handy is simply due to room size, packaging and evening out room modes.

It's not a given though, that 2 subs will outperform 1 sub, unless the single sub is way to small for the given room and SPL required.
I would always prefer 1 high quality sub in favour of 2 poor quality subs.

It's preferable and cheaper to throw some bass traps in a room, than to purchase a second sub.

You see, I have a problem with the premise that very deep base does not have direction - this statement needs a qualifier.

If there was a subwoofer in Bathurst and I slowly walked from Lithgow to Orange, there would be time I hear it, and it gets louder, and it fades.

If I was in a room with two Cellos hitting their lowest notes, but not in synch, could I not tell the difference ?

Sorry, in some arenas this is like a religious difference.
Some say that the directionality comes from higher frequencies that are a necessary part of the music (the wrist slap, the plectrum)

But I would offer reasons why this is not an adequate analysis.
1) no crossover is perfect, so when listening to music the left and right sub base would have a different signal.
2) if a recording was made at sub base with left and right given exactly the same frequency, in a perfect sign wave, but out of phase with each other, single subwoofer would sum to zero and make no sound, stereo subwoofers would make a sound.
3) there would be an almost immeasurable difference in sound traveling to two microphones (left and right) that pick up base (due to the fact that sound takes time to travel), and while the sound itself may no have direction, these timing differences give ambiance.

In a Home theatre designed for Video, the Sub woofer gets just the LFE channel, not the sub base from left and right - it will be quiet during CD music playback. - so you could argue that I want 3 sub woofers, Left, right and LFE ;-)

Sorry, the above is actually off topic, back to my question.

when a system specifies 5.2 or 7.2 do the subwoofer channels have different signals, or is it simply a provision for a second subwoofer to fill the "holes" per sox above ?
(I have researched the ONKYO system I was interested in, to find that these will always have the exact same signal
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #166
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
You see, I have a problem with the premise that very deep base does not have direction - this statement needs a qualifier.

If there was a subwoofer in Bathurst and I slowly walked from Lithgow to Orange, there would be time I hear it, and it gets louder, and it fades.
That's just SPL decreasing with distance.
Spin you around 5 times with your eyes closed, aside from being dizzy you will not be able to detect the direction of the sound.
Quote:
If I was in a room with two Cellos hitting their lowest notes, but not in synch, could I not tell the difference ?
You could easily tell the difference, however that's due to the harmonics of the cello, not the sub bass frequencies.

We're not discussing localisation of the bass notes from instruments, rather the sub frequencies of subwoofers.
Quite a different thing.
Quote:
Sorry, in some arenas this is like a religious difference.
Not with the people who know.
Quote:
Some say that the directionality comes from higher frequencies that are a necessary part of the music (the wrist slap, the plectrum)
This is correct, and why many subwoofers can be localised.
A crossover frequency which is too high, harmonics, distortion, overdriving, etc.
Quote:
But I would offer reasons why this is not an adequate analysis.
1) no crossover is perfect, so when listening to music the left and right sub base would have a different signal.
Doesn't really matter, so long as both are reproducing frequencies below the threshold of localisation.
Besides, crossovers whilst not perfect, are certainly close enough to not show any significant (audible) differences anyhow.
Quote:
2) if a recording was made at sub base with left and right given exactly the same frequency, in a perfect sign wave, but out of phase with each other, single subwoofer would sum to zero and make no sound, stereo subwoofers would make a sound.
Luckily this doesn't happen in practise. What would be the point?
Sub bass is about the feeling - directional cues come from higher frequencies.
Quote:
3) there would be an almost immeasurable difference in sound traveling to two microphones (left and right) that pick up base (due to the fact that sound takes time to travel), and while the sound itself may no have direction, these timing differences give ambiance.
The sub frequencies don't, only higher frequencies.
Bass instruments can only be localised because of the upper harmonics.
Quote:
In a Home theatre designed for Video, the Sub woofer gets just the LFE channel, not the sub base from left and right - it will be quiet during CD music playback. - so you could argue that I want 3 sub woofers, Left, right and LFE ;-)
All AVR's have settings which allow the sub to be used under any playback condition.
Quote:
Sorry, the above is actually off topic, back to my question.
It's audio, it's on topic...
Quote:
when a system specifies 5.2 or 7.2 do the subwoofer channels have different signals, or is it simply a provision for a second subwoofer to fill the "holes" per sox above ?
(I have researched the ONKYO system I was interested in, to find that these will always have the exact same signal
Exactly.

There's nothing wrong with using multiple subs, however the reasons are different to what a lot of people think.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #167
rednose
RNS10S

Sox, do you calibrate AV systems???
Old 10-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #168
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Sox, do you calibrate AV systems???
I can do the audio, but not video.
Having said that, it's not something which is my main focus, as I'm mainly in the manufacturing side of things.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #169
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

OK so I feel a bit bad asking this when people here have systems worth more than my car..LOL...but...

I am just after an entry level receiver with at least 3x HDMI inputs, is something like this ok or not worth the effort?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-en...eceiver/71665/

Against say something like this...

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-bl...-receiver.html

What are the basic specs I should be looking at. Please keep in mind that I currently only have sound out of the TV so anything is going to be an improvement. Looking at plugging in my TV, PS and a Computer.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #170
rednose
RNS10S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
I can do the audio, but not video.
Having said that, it's not something which is my main focus, as I'm mainly in the manufacturing side of things.
pm incoming
Old 10-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #171
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
OK so I feel a bit bad asking this when people here have systems worth more than my car..LOL...but...

I am just after an entry level receiver with at least 3x HDMI inputs, is something like this ok or not worth the effort?

What are the basic specs I should be looking at. Please keep in mind that I currently only have sound out of the TV so anything is going to be an improvement. Looking at plugging in my TV, PS and a Computer.
I'm not really into either of those brands, however the Yamaha should be miles ahead.
I would avoid the Sherwood if you want something approaching even mild quality.

As for basic specs, just go with something that does the job in your situation as it's a price point where real quality doesn't exist. So purchase on features, but avoid the crappy brands.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #172
rednose
RNS10S

Quote:

Maybe better off going with a sonos system, I think JB have them as well.

Alternatively look at second hand gear as you can sometimes get really good gear for a 1/4 of what they were new
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #173
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

These things reliable? Id be ****ed dropping some cash on something second hand to chase a slightly better sound with no warranty.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #174
rednose
RNS10S

Best thing to do is join a forum like AV Forum Australia or StereoNet.

Most guys on there are safe to buy from.

Always a risk buying second hand but in most cases the products are in very good condition.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #175
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Best thing to do is join a forum like AV Forum Australia or StereoNet.

Most guys on there are safe to buy from.

Always a risk buying second hand but in most cases the products are in very good condition.
Great thanks...

So something like this then?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/anner...ver/1069461962

#tightbum
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #176
rednose
RNS10S

If you can get a demo and you are happy with it then go for it.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #177
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Polyal - I have a Yamaha receiver/amp and it has 5 HDMI outputs, 7.2ch. Its the RX-V675 model. At the time it cost me about $700RRP. Probably cheaper now, but it does all I need it to do in my Home Theatre. Has ability to stream music from your phone as well as other cool features.

http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v675/review

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #178
Sox
RIP...

Both respectable brands, though at the low end of the food chain.

For the $$ pretty hard to beat though and leaps and bounds ahead of TV sound.

That kind of thing would make a lot of sense at your budget.

Quote:
Great thanks...

So something like this then?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/anner...ver/1069461962

#tightbum
Old 13-02-2015, 01:38 AM   #179
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New t.v. and cabinet added to the theatre today

5 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 03:01 AM   #180
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Nice man!!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5