Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-07-2021, 10:18 PM   #1
slowsnake
Banned

Default Ozone

Tried to start a thread about the world health issues with ozone inhalation at ground level, its a very interesting story, have down loaded scientific documents but can't get em on to this post?
Have em downloaded onto my drive but cannot upload files?...just my lack of computer knowledge for sure, but I will persevere and any comments are welcome (constructive) of course.

Cheers Sir William

Last edited by slowsnake; 12-07-2021 at 10:36 PM. Reason: punctuation
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2021, 10:48 PM   #2
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ozone

Maybe try attach a link to the website of interest, rather than trying to upload things,
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
slowsnake
Banned

Yes I tried all that thanks, but I just get a pages of letters and numbers, I have a hospital app this morning and will try later, thanks for the positive comment!

Cheers Billy
Old 13-07-2021, 10:15 PM   #4
slowsnake
Banned

https://aircentraltexas.org/en/regio...nd-level-ozone

Hope this works!....yippee I got it to work, and its an interesting read folks

Cheers King Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 13-07-2021 at 10:16 PM. Reason: add a bit
Old 13-07-2021, 10:59 PM   #5
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

King billy, your thought process always intrigues me. What do you conclude from this?

Is it good or bad for my car (runs on petrol)? And will my quarter mile time improve at lower or higher ground ozone?

Or on a more serious note, do you think this contributes to our kid's high rate of allergy? How large of an area does ground ozone affect? A city? A state? A country? A continent?

How does this impact covid?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2021, 12:34 AM   #6
slowsnake
Banned

Thats hard to answer being a layman or boilermaker, I was hoping some folk smarter than me on this forum could maybe throw their bit in the mix.

I chose Texas because its pretty flat like Australia and its industry is oil, which equals pollution, but it affects the respiration of plants which we need to supply our oxygen, and differing weather patterns affect the ozone levels, and the folk it affects are like me, asthma, emphysema COPD, it makes it harder to breath, if we can't breathe we don't grow, and as for allergies in kids, well no doctor will admit ozone is an issue when the big pharma a selling xyz drugs?

I started this thread to get folk interested in what we breathe everyday, we are taught to believe that ozone is up in space, far enough away to cause no harm, but that's bullsh.t, it causes all kinds of allergies, sore eyes, sniffles, sore throats etc, when our immune system gets overwhelmed it gets susceptible to other lesser pathogens, it can't fight everything, and I believe Covid-19 travels in/on Ozone, and I think all the scientists are well aware and have been for a long time.

As for getting a better time for the quarter mile, we'll you know that the changing and humid weather contributes to your times, and its a constant engine/ fuel air ratio adjustment between runs, we all know normal air fuel ratio is 14 to 1, but what is the 14 parts made of?..supposed to be air, but the air quality is based on polluted air not "real pure" normal unpolluted air.

Cheers King Billy
Old 14-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #7
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Local pools near me use it to kill bugs.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #8
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Local pools near me use it to kill bugs.
They use ozone for lots of things in industry, its a commercial commodity, you can buy an ozone generator to clean your house or car, but you can't be in the car or house if they use a commercial machine, it takes every odour including tobacco odour and makes it vanish.

The machines you buy over the counter are for personal use, as in sit em in the room to filter the air, especially around smokers.

The air we breathe is only 21% oxygen and 78% Nitrogen, want some go fast for ya car then you use Nitrous Oxide?
But the point of this thread is to get you lot thinking about just what it is we breathe, what I breathe in the city is different to the beach or mountains!

This covid travels very quietly and quickly, all I can think of as the carrier is ozone, not Nitrogen and Oxygen, the balance between a healthy earth and an unhealthy one can be measured in microns of a percentage point.

And I don't have the answers, I'm looking for them, since covid started we have stopped discussing climate change and holes from ozone especially above the North Pole!
Big issue before covid was Ozone??....what happened??

Cheers Billy
Old 14-07-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
They use ozone for lots of things in industry, its a commercial commodity, you can buy an ozone generator to clean your house or car, but you can't be in the car or house if they use a commercial machine, it takes every odour including tobacco odour and makes it vanish.

The machines you buy over the counter are for personal use, as in sit em in the room to filter the air, especially around smokers.

The air we breathe is only 21% oxygen and 78% Nitrogen, want some go fast for ya car then you use Nitrous Oxide?
But the point of this thread is to get you lot thinking about just what it is we breathe, what I breathe in the city is different to the beach or mountains!

This covid travels very quietly and quickly, all I can think of as the carrier is ozone, not Nitrogen and Oxygen, the balance between a healthy earth and an unhealthy one can be measured in microns of a percentage point.

And I don't have the answers, I'm looking for them, since covid started we have stopped discussing climate change and holes from ozone especially above the North Pole!
Big issue before covid was Ozone??....what happened??

Cheers Billy
If you think the Ozone is the only carrier of covid then your thinking is flawed. what about your winds? that is your problem of spreading anything on this planet.
Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
slowsnake
Banned

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/enviro...enerators.aspx

Cheers Billy
Old 14-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #11
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
If you think the Ozone is the only carrier of covid then your thinking is flawed. what about your winds? that is your problem of spreading anything on this planet.
Cheers

Oh I don't think that at all, I also admitted earlier that i started this thread to get others opinions, if its flawed then its flawed, so you come up with an "unflawed" version! I just wonder what happened to this big climate change ozone issue, one day its in the news then it vanished!

This Covid-19 is not in my lounge room right now, why not, I just had a lung lobe removed, I should be the perfect candidate for all kinds of chest infections!..why am I not sick, and why are the people of Fairfield NSW in lockdown?...I lived in Fairfield, and it and surrounding suburbs are just one massive industrial area.

I walk 50 metres from my unit and I am feeding ducks on the Swann River,
I am breathing the same atmosphere as you!..or am I...are there local winds doing their own thing, are we in Perth and WA breathing the same air as in Sydney NSW?....of course not, Sydney's polluted air would kill a brown dog, I know cos I lived it.

I know what ozone does to my own pulmonary health, and this information is from doctors and scientists, all alternate thinkers, but privately financed by public benefactors because they will not kow-tow to big pharma!

Big illness equals big dollars, I am sure that corona virus can be sorted very easily, but "show us da money".....is the mantra, they big pharma are holding this Government to ransom, and the town fool (Scott Morrison) got played like a fiddle!
Thats our money he is spending, not his!

Cheers Billy
Old 14-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I just wonder what happened to this big climate change ozone issue, one day its in the news then it vanished!
We hear about climate change mainly when there's a new set of models/predictions from the IPCC (AR6 is due out later this month), or when there's been some catastrophic weather event. The bushfires are a distant memory now, temperature is down, rainfall is up. People have short memories.

Quote:
I know what ozone does to my own pulmonary health, and this information is from doctors and scientists, all alternate thinkers, but privately financed by public benefactors because they will not kow-tow to big pharma!
Big Pharma primarily funds clinical trials, or moves research from the level of basic research to applied with an aim to turn it into a product. The vast majority of basic health and medical research in Australia is funded from the public purse via the NHMRC and ARC. There is no conspiracy. Big Pharma will never fund environmental research because it's not a problem that can be solved by one of their products.

Quote:
Big illness equals big dollars, I am sure that corona virus can be sorted very easily, but "show us da money".....is the mantra
If that were the case, the common cold would be uncommon. Anything that spreads easily and mutates quickly is actually very difficult to solve. It's actually astounding that we've got a product going out to people in only a year.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #13
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

...I lived in Fairfield, and it and surrounding suburbs are just one massive industrial area.
I remember when Italy had their initial massive outbreak, it was in the northern parts?, an italian work colleague of mine was telling me that its very industrial up north, and air quality is not great and could be a contributing factor.

Then when Melb had their outbreak, the main "problem areas" were in the north west and west, also industrial areas.....

Now are you saying the same in Syd?

From what work colleagues were telling me, the India outbreak didn't impact the entire country, just some pockets, were they industrial areas?

What about north america and asia? hermmmmmm

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 14-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #14
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I remember when Italy had their initial massive outbreak, it was in the northern parts?, an italian work colleague of mine was telling me that its very industrial up north, and air quality is not great and could be a contributing factor.

Then when Melb had their outbreak, the main "problem areas" were in the north west and west, also industrial areas.....
Correlation != causation. Alternative explanation - groups of people working on a production floor together rather than in individual offices. Also socioeconomic, more likely to use public transport, more likely to live in high density housing, etc.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I just wonder what happened to this big climate change ozone issue, one day its in the news then it vanished!
Cheers Billy
Not vanished at all just not news worthy at the moment, it will come back one day in the headlines when the time is right like all news stories.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #16
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Correlation != causation. Alternative explanation - groups of people working on a production floor together rather than in individual offices. Also socioeconomic, more likely to use public transport, more likely to live in high density housing, etc.
That would explain New York.

Rides (past and present)

Old 14-07-2021, 09:56 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.windy.com/-Show---add-mo....538,145.723,3

Not sure how accurate it is, but Australia doesn't have much ozone pollution.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2021, 10:55 PM   #18
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
https://www.windy.com/-Show---add-mo....538,145.723,3

Not sure how accurate it is, but Australia doesn't have much ozone pollution.
Mmmm, click on the NO2 button, the gas mask, nasty, sulphur dioxide too is killing us off.
Everything that is bad for us we create more of it, if we breathe 5ppm of ozone we are dead!

Am just happy we have a new discussion going....

Cheers slowsnake.
Old 22-07-2021, 10:00 PM   #19
slowsnake
Banned

The effect of lockdown due to coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic on air pollution in four Southern European cities (Nice, Rome, Valencia and Turin) and Wuhan (China) was quantified, with a focus on ozone (O3). Compared to the same period in 2017–2019, the daily O3 mean concentrations increased at urban stations by 24% in Nice, 14% in Rome, 27% in Turin, 2.4% in Valencia and 36% in Wuhan during the lockdown in 2020. This increase in O3 concentrations is mainly explained by an unprecedented reduction in NOx emissions leading to a lower O3 titration by NO. Strong reductions in NO2 mean concentrations were observed in all European cities, ~53% at urban stations, comparable to Wuhan (57%), and ~65% at traffic stations. NO declined even further, ~63% at urban stations and ~78% at traffic stations in Europe. Reductions in PM2.5 and PM10 at urban stations were overall much smaller both in magnitude and relative change in Europe (~8%) than in Wuhan (~42%). The PM reductions due to limiting transportation and fuel combustion in institutional and commercial buildings were partly offset by increases of PM emissions from the activities at home in some of the cities. The NOx concentrations during the lockdown were on average 49% lower than those at weekends of the previous years in all cities. The lockdown effect on O3 production was ~10% higher than the weekend effect in Southern Europe and 38% higher in Wuhan, while for PM the lockdown had the same effect as weekends in Southern Europe (~6% of difference). This study highlights the challenge of reducing the formation of secondary pollutants such as O3 even with strict measures to control primary pollutant emissions. These results are relevant for designing abatement policies of urban pollution.

Cheers Billy,
Old 22-07-2021, 10:59 PM   #20
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live in the country near orchards so all I’ve got to inhale are herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, hormone growth promoters etc etc.
Gotta die of something I guess but I hope to die in a brothel (as a customer ....) after a steak and a spliff while celebrating my 100th birthday.

Last edited by shedcoupe; 22-07-2021 at 11:00 PM. Reason: because I can
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 11:18 PM   #21
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe...just maybe...someone is telling us we need to look after our planet a little better.

Rides (past and present)

Old 22-07-2021, 11:28 PM   #22
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah good plan but the natural role of species is to consume the resources in their environmental niche and increase their numbers until the resources are depleted and then the population crashes.
Environmental management is a good idea but governments seem more interested in business as are populations.
While I was chaining myself to things thirty-five years ago I thought 'people will get it any day now' and then they started to, but now it seems like fiddling at the edges of the problem is all that's really happening.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2021, 06:18 AM   #23
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe View Post
Yeah good plan but the natural role of species is to consume the resources in their environmental niche and increase their numbers until the resources are depleted and then the population crashes.
Environmental management is a good idea but governments seem more interested in business as are populations.
While I was chaining myself to things thirty-five years ago I thought 'people will get it any day now' and then they started to, but now it seems like fiddling at the edges of the problem is all that's really happening.
The natural role of any species is to procreate, that's a natural phenomenon either plant or reptile or animal do it naturally and humans deliberately!

It's not the instinctual species that plan the demise of our environment but the intellectual species
We create our own waste and we live in it, even birds don't sh.t in their own nests, only humans do that, we are what we have created, we are it, the cause of all our woes, we pollute with impunity, the rich control gov ministers mouths, that's because they live above the squalor in their penthouse offices and business suites, we on the street must look like ants going about their business, supporting a Queen somewhere, but never questioning!..
Geez I loved the unions, that was/is all average Joe Citizen had, now that's taken away.

Cheers Billy
Old 23-07-2021, 06:28 AM   #24
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Maybe...just maybe...someone is telling us we need to look after our planet a little better.
I'm very close to the truth, but can't use what I know to convince others, and you my friend are very close to seeing what I see, but, I can't force others to see what is happening all around them!...they cannot and do not want to comprehend change, they like the status quo, only because it's too easy, no effort needed to improve their lot!

Most folk have lost their fire, their intensity, what they had in their teens has now gone, seems like it happened to someone else, not to them, our live are changed because we allowed it, we choose chaos over peace and harmony, how sad we are

Cheers Billy
Old 23-07-2021, 06:50 AM   #25
slowsnake
Banned

What is ground level ozone?
Ground level ozone is considered the most pervasive air pollutant world-wide, and a serious threat to the conservation and sustainability of world forests. Ozone in the lower atmosphere is formed from the reactions of precursor pollutants, primarily nitrogen oxides (NOx) and volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) in the presence of sunlight. Automobile engines and industrial processes produce most of the compounds that result in ozone (O3) pollution. Ground level O3 is a major component of urban smog and part of the mix of greenhouse gases that contribute to global warming.

The airborne transport of O3 to remote forested areas has led to increasing concern about how this pollutant is influencing the health of individual trees and forest ecosystems. In the United States, periods of high ozone concentration coincide with the growing season when plants are most vulnerable to injury. Possible impacts of ozone on forest species include reduced growth and vigor, reduced seed production, and increased susceptibility to insects and disease. Long-term ozone stress may lead to changes in species composition, reduced species diversity, and simplification of ecosystem structure and function

Cheers Billy
Old 27-07-2021, 08:08 PM   #26
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:

the only way to save the planet is? ...............................

get rid of the homosapiens as that will cut back on soo much crap that is put into the air we breathe, water we drink, the food we eat, etc etc.

but that is just my opinion
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #27
slowsnake
Banned

That's spot on, this planet does not need us homosapiens, nor the minerals, the plants or animals!
But we need this planet, and the minerals, plants and animals, its seems that our planet Earth and our Sun and Moons were purpose-built just for us, just for us to use and abuse, or, to nurture and reproduce, to make it a happy place to exist not this shambles we have now

Cheers Willy
Old 30-07-2021, 10:50 PM   #28
slowsnake
Banned

Originally posted by CSL.

Throughout spring and summer 2020, ozone stations in the northern extratropics recorded unusually low ozone in the free troposphere. From April to August, and from 1 to 8 kilometers altitude, ozone was on average 7% (≈4 nmol/mol) below the 2000 to 2020 climatological mean. Such low ozone, over several months, and at so many stations, has not been observed in any previous year since at least 2000. Atmospheric composition analyses from the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service and simulations from the NASA GMI model indicate that the large 2020 springtime ozone depletion in the Arctic stratosphere contributed less than one quarter of the observed tropospheric anomaly. The observed anomaly is consistent with recent chemistry‐climate model simulations, which assume emissions reductions similar to those caused by the COVID‐19 crisis. COVID‐19 related emissions reductions appear to be the major cause for the observed reduced free tropospheric ozone in 2020.

Cheers Billy
Old 31-07-2021, 01:14 PM   #29
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally posted by CSL.

Throughout spring and summer 2020, ozone stations in the northern extratropics recorded unusually low ozone in the free troposphere. From April to August, and from 1 to 8 kilometers altitude, ozone was on average 7% (≈4 nmol/mol) below the 2000 to 2020 climatological mean. Such low ozone, over several months, and at so many stations, has not been observed in any previous year since at least 2000. Atmospheric composition analyses from the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service and simulations from the NASA GMI model indicate that the large 2020 springtime ozone depletion in the Arctic stratosphere contributed less than one quarter of the observed tropospheric anomaly. The observed anomaly is consistent with recent chemistry‐climate model simulations, which assume emissions reductions similar to those caused by the COVID‐19 crisis.
COVID‐19 related emissions reductions appear to be the major cause for the observed reduced free tropospheric ozone in 2020.

Cheers Billy
What that tells me is that due to Covid there has been a major reduction is Air, Sea and Land traffic.
Old 31-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #30
slowsnake
Banned

Exactly, no or less pollution less covid cases!....so is it because folk are locked indoors not polluting with vehicles, or planes etc slowed or halted, and cleaner air to breathe?

Cheers BBBB