Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default coronavirus, why cafes/pubs/restaurants seem busier than same time previously

hi everyone

was wondering why pubs and cafes and restaurants seem so much busier than the same time last year and one before.

because ever since you can have 10 people sitting outside all those industries have been so much busier to a point where you have no life and no one can keep up and they're at stage where they badly need a break but are suffering because they cant take a break as they're needed in the industry.

it seems like its not getting any better for the workers in the industry who are probably past the point where they need a break but have to keep going.

for the ones who are planning on changing industries in the near future sometime but are hanging on until the times right which might be because they need the money and also because of the friendship with the workers and the owners, what do they do to get through to make things seem easier.

also was wondering why it seems the current middle aged workers change their jobs as much nearly as they change their laptops and dont plan to stay in same job forever and the current boomers onwards keep the same job from when they leave school to when they retire or maybe only have 2 jobs.

would it be because of the throwaway time we live in now or would it be because some want to advance quick and if the current place wont do it fast enough theyre off to try again or what else would it be.

was wondering what the older ones on here think has happened to the day where people lasted in jobs and didnt get tired of it after a short time which makes it bad for the genuine ones who might have had enough after doing it for 10-15 years especially hospitality and are just patiently waiting until times right to make the change.

for those in hospitality who are just hanging on till time is right how do they improve the life balance when theyre nearly always needed and dont get much of a life.

there is a difference in a bit busy and busy that you cant keep up

theres probably a lot facing same thing

thanks

thanks
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: coronavirus, why cafes/pubs/restaurants seem busier than same time previously

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
hi everyone

was wondering why pubs and cafes and restaurants seem so much busier than the same time last year and one before.
With Australia's international borders closed, people are of course travelling less, even interstate, with the fear of snap state border closures at any time.

But people still want to unwind and enjoy, so they are choosing to flock to pubs, cafes and restaurants as their alternative "outlet" more than ever.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2021, 09:00 PM   #3
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: coronavirus, why cafes/pubs/restaurants seem busier than same time previously

You’s recon it’ll get better as in it be safe to keep open as in all states no international yet and no quarantine and how do hospitality workers get the same holidays when some might be just hanging on till times right and how do they deal with it when they need a break but suffer because they can’t have it

When will it get better as some need a break but can’t have it and are trying hard to hang on and many of that field need breaks too

Last edited by car10002; 13-03-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 16-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you’s think things in that area will get better and when will it be safe enough to start travelling without border closures at anytime noticing also that emergency workers are working harder than ever and are past the point where they need a break and are suffering because they’re needed, one example is that someone with a broken hip in adelaide apparently waited over a hour for a ambulance

Also noticing that waits in cafes and pubs are longer some days too
Old 16-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im in the construction industry and ever since JobKeeper and the construction grant kicked in, my work has doubled to the point Im burning out. I can't get quality help, and people are screaming for their work to be done so they dont miss out on the grant. So Im trying to push myself a bit longer until the end of this month when the grant ends in a hope that work load will stabilize.

I too have seen cafe's/restaurants and other places just booked out for weeks, even months in advance due to the uncertainty of border closures. Booking anything interstate now used to be a non issues thing I used to do. Now I am second guessing whether or not to do it and when, planning on what happens if Im forced in quarantine once I cross the border and how much extra to save for. It's actually a joke to think like this in our country.

These days, I am biding my time, avoiding peak times and if I do want to eat at a restaurant, I will book months in advance to ensure Im not disappointed. Forget doing anything on a whim. Anything you want to do now, plan weeks in advance to avoid bitter disappointment. It's a sad state of affairs but if you want to play the game this is the new normal.

Alternatively, stay at home, order your food online and binge watch streaming tv until its your turn to get the jab. lol

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
hi everyone

because ever since you can have 10 people sitting outside all those industries have been so much busier to a point where you have no life and no one can keep up and they're at stage where they badly need a break but are suffering because they cant take a break as they're needed in the industry.

it seems like its not getting any better for the workers in the industry who are probably past the point where they need a break but have to keep going.

for the ones who are planning on changing industries in the near future sometime but are hanging on until the times right which might be because they need the money and also because of the friendship with the workers and the owners, what do they do to get through to make things seem easier.

also was wondering why it seems the current middle aged workers change their jobs as much nearly as they change their laptops and dont plan to stay in same job forever and the current boomers onwards keep the same job from when they leave school to when they retire or maybe only have 2 jobs.

would it be because of the throwaway time we live in now or would it be because some want to advance quick and if the current place wont do it fast enough theyre off to try again or what else would it be.

was wondering what the older ones on here think has happened to the day where people lasted in jobs and didnt get tired of it after a short time which makes it bad for the genuine ones who might have had enough after doing it for 10-15 years especially hospitality and are just patiently waiting until times right to make the change.

for those in hospitality who are just hanging on till time is right how do they improve the life balance when theyre nearly always needed and dont get much of a life.

there is a difference in a bit busy and busy that you cant keep up

theres probably a lot facing same thing

thanks

thanks
At least these places are employing people now. My daughter just got a full time job in a trendy CBD cafe. She's working hard every day but couldn't be happier. I guess she appreciates not being unemployed.

I've always told my daughters that when things are really busy and work gets tough, just work harder and you'll always have a job.

Last edited by X-AHH; 16-03-2021 at 11:18 AM.
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

Once people can start travelling overseas do you’s think cafes pubs and restaurants work loads will stabilise and will it ever be same as before and will qr codes and signing in come to a end eventually

Do know that this will all probably go on for a few years

What should we all expect

And if you live with someone who’s known to get sick what could you do to reduce exposure especially on certain time when the property isn’t properly setup for you to not be affected and/or with 2 bathrooms and kitchens minimum when you’re waiting until you can afford to buy your own property and have 20% for a deposit
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

Was wondering with coronavirus wether there’s any hope that hospitality will get easier because work in that industry and in last 12-18 months it’s gotten harder and harder and the starts we’re getting earlier.

In that industry as you’s know there’s no life as you work every weekend and public holiday most of your time is spent there and wondered if there’s hope to get out in next 5 years wether the current owners will change in next 5 years or if it’s upto you to do something.

In last 12-18 months hospitality has gotten harder and harder and wondered if coronavirus has pushed it or wether it’s just you starting to get tired of it or both and would like to have a better work-life balance.

Is there any hope to have better work-life balance in next 5 years and if current owners are still there what is best way to talk to them about just concentrating on the secondhand side and/or a easier work-life balance or getting out altogether based on what they do

You see everyone else having good time on weekend while you always work and after nearly 20 years which is what it’ll be in 5 years it’s long enough in hospitality

With secondhand there may be some weekend work but won’t be same

Won’t be doing much for about another 3-5 years but probably need to start thinking while there’s still enough time.

With home loans where they say dsp or aged pension is accepted in home loans do you have to be working for someone else or does self employment count

Last edited by car10002; 11-07-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:51 PM   #9
leesa

Quote:
In that industry as you’s know there’s no life as you work every weekend and public holiday most of your time is spent there and wondered if there’s hope to get out in next 5 years wether the current owners will change in next 5 years or if it’s upto you to do something.
It is up to you to do something. Most people in this world will take advantage of you if you let them, noone is going to bat for you. They will take take take from you until you have no more left to give and then they will replace you with someone else.

It is up to you to make sure you're not getting taken advantage of. If you're getting taken advantage of, leave and go find fair work for fair pay. I say leave and not re-negotiate because once you've let a company take advantage of you they're not likely to give up the reins and start treating you fairly.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2021, 10:50 PM   #10
PTurnedge
Starter Motor

We (my wife and I) own and operate a small cafe in our home town in the Dandenong Ranges, we have seen quite a few new people coming through though we are not really a tourist town. Most people are rediscovering their own backyard because they can't go anywhere else, or are too worried to leave the state incase something happens and they cannot get back. That being said, with the current lockdown being only 2 days old, we are down 60% at the moment, so people are heeding the rules pretty well it seems. We are choosing to keep our staff on and not have any pay ourselves so they can rest a bit easier about their finances.

My gut feel is the QR codes will be around for a couple of years, every other COVID related rule will be in and out depending on cases etc. As soon as the international and state borders open with some stability, people will be jetting off all over the place again as soon as they can.

One thing I will say, I don't know about other states, but in Victoria, the business is the one to be fined if people don't check in rather than the individual, so if ever someone asks you to check in, don't rant, don't abuse, just do it, they are only protecting themselves, not making a political statement. The fine in Vic is $10k to the business for a breach. Kind of hard to wear that as a small business.
PTurnedge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2021, 06:29 PM   #11
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTurnedge View Post

My gut feel is the QR codes will be around for a couple of years, every other COVID related rule will be in and out depending on cases etc. As soon as the international and state borders open with some stability, people will be jetting off all over the place again as soon as they can.

One thing I will say, I don't know about other states, but in Victoria, the business is the one to be fined if people don't check in rather than the individual, so if ever someone asks you to check in, don't rant, don't abuse, just do it, they are only protecting themselves, not making a political statement. The fine in Vic is $10k to the business for a breach. Kind of hard to wear that as a small business.

Better have the book ready...I don't have a phone...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2021, 06:36 PM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Surprisingly most places do have the ability to manually sign you in with pen and paper as I for one don't carry my phone all the time.

Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #13
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
It is up to you to do something. Most people in this world will take advantage of you if you let them, noone is going to bat for you. They will take take take from you until you have no more left to give and then they will replace you with someone else.

It is up to you to make sure you're not getting taken advantage of. If you're getting taken advantage of, leave and go find fair work for fair pay. I say leave and not re-negotiate because once you've let a company take advantage of you they're not likely to give up the reins and start treating you fairly.
with hospitality no matter what area you pretty much work non-stop from when you get there till you leave for day and theres no work-life balance

would like to have a better work-life balance and get out hospitality eventually and do part time electrical testing and tagging and because the current owners are good friends am still there and time isnt yet right to do anything.

just giving it 5 years to see what happens with the current owners.

not yet in any hurry to do anything and giving it 5 years tops to see what happens but getting out hospitallity is a goal that would eventually like to reach and just thinking things through while theres still plenty time.

if it wasnt for the little bit of extra dollars and the owners and team then would have got out ages ago and trying to hang on for about another 5 years because of that.

am soon seeing the local counsellor to slowly work through each little problem.

do have options in mind based on what they might do and based on a few things

how come people these days dont last 15 years minimum like prevoius generations, is it because things are disposable now or has this generation grown up always changing and upgrading or is it likely that people just take something just to get money while they keep looking

Last edited by car10002; 18-07-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 18-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #14
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTurnedge View Post
We (my wife and I) own and operate a small cafe in our home town in the Dandenong Ranges..........
Good on you! Where is your cafe? I'll drop by and grab a snack in a couple of weeks, when we are out of lock down.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #15
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Hi

Once people can start travelling overseas do you’s think cafes pubs and restaurants work loads will stabilise and will it ever be same as before and will qr codes and signing in come to a end eventually

Do know that this will all probably go on for a few years

What should we all expect

And if you live with someone who’s known to get sick what could you do to reduce exposure especially on certain time when the property isn’t properly setup for you to not be affected and/or with 2 bathrooms and kitchens minimum when you’re waiting until you can afford to buy your own property and have 20% for a deposit
Well first thing it to keep yourself clean, wash your hands properly and wear a mask around someone who is sick or unwell!
But washing your hands is the best advice I got before I left hospital, and to disinfect properly, your taps too after using the loo, but you should be fine, so don't overly worry about things!

And remember " Cleanliness is next to Fordliness "..just made that up, lol

Cheers a Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 18-07-2021 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Add a bit
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2021, 07:54 PM   #16
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Surprisingly most places do have the ability to manually sign you in with pen and paper as I for one don't carry my phone all the time.

Cheers
I live in Perth, I have an old Nokia, so no Q code, ( another name for movement tracer, as used by WA Police ) they got caught out too.

But, I go as usual weekly, newsagent, chemist, IGA, Woolies and maybe TAB, and I sign my name and phone number everytime, last 12 months or longer!..and bottle hand sanitiser at most, and Woolies especially have rolls of wet wipes for trolley handles!
Most folk are good about toeing the line, if they say masks for 5 days, you comply, you'd be a mug if you dident?

Cheers Billy.

Last edited by slowsnake; 18-07-2021 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Add a bit
Old 18-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #17
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What’s reason people these days don’t last 20 years in jobs is it because they’re along with everything disposable or is it likely they take just something to pay bills while they continue to look or just middle aged and younger generations always wanting change
Old 18-07-2021, 10:22 PM   #18
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
What’s reason people these days don’t last 20 years in jobs is it because they’re along with everything disposable or is it likely they take just something to pay bills while they continue to look or just middle aged and younger generations always wanting change
Well younger people need money to pay the bills if they are at University, they go to Uni lectures during the day, and work nights and weekends, a lot of families are just average folk, basic jobs and good saving and accounting skills, but the kids have to help!

Some folk are not born as smart as everyone else, nothing wrong with that it's the way it is, but they are happy, cheerful, usually content at their jobs and get pleasure being Fathers and providers, these folk want a job that gives them and their families security!

Then you get some folk who are basically lazy and bone idle, uncaring and do not have a conscience, social or otherwise, somewhat like a Politician or maybe a gangster, neither thinks they are responsible for their mistakes and misdemeanours, and they always blame others!

Then yet another type of person, happy all the time, through good and bad, indifferent to pleasure or pain, happy if it's a sunny day, or equally happy if it is wet and raining!
They are helpful to others, show kindness to folk when others don't, never put others down, always have something nice to say about other folk!

So as you see this world takes a whole lot of different folks to make it turn, and somewhere in that group is a place where I fit, or you fit, everything has its place, we just see it our way, others, another way!

Cheers Billy
Old 19-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #19
PTurnedge
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Yep, definitely have the paper sign in, we realise and recognise not all people have a phone or a phone capable of checking in
PTurnedge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #20
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you a actually start the part time test and tag business will it grow as quick as a automotive business that someone recently started and what are other reasons why people of today don’t last as long and/or change jobs more often than previous generations did
Old 19-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #21
.:4:.
Kicking back

Due to liability insurance for businesses, test and tagging is not going to go away. The main thing is to be able to supply businesses with either a log book as proof or a digital register as proof for their insurance purposes. The company i used to work for had a flashy seaward primetest. Prices have come down on those, but it was 8 grand at the time. Also construction sites need (usually) everything on site tested monthly. Usually the on site sparky does that though. But the way ohs is going these days, the demand is only going to become greater.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #22
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why else don’t people of today last 20 years or a whole working life time like previous generations
Old 19-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #23
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Why else don’t people of today last 20 years or a whole working life time like previous generations
Dunno, maybe people get over repetition, short attention spans, changes in industry regs, changes in management styles. Could be a multitude of reasons. I was at my old job for a bit over 14 years. That being said, there are some rare instances. Potato instances. My mum has a friend whos husband worked for 30 years before getting sacked. 25 of those years he would do his 40 hours sitting at a desk yet not have anything come to his desk. So doing nothing. It was a government job.
On the other hand, some people dont like watching grass grow and are motivated to move up. So they use one job/position as a stepping stone to further job advancement.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #24
leesa

Quote:
Few people can afford to repay a mortgage with the wage they earn out of highschool/university. Back then you could buy a house, have kids, support a partner and live comfortably on the first job you got, so there wasn't a lot of need to seek other opportunities. Why would they want to leave? The factory job was enough to have all their needs met, they had a good life and so could stay in that one job for 20 years.

That kind of life doesn't exist today. You can't get a job out of highschool and have it meet your financial needs for the next 20 years of your life. Instead, people need to keep improving their skills and constantly chase salary increases or new jobs until it reaches a point where they can afford a mortgage and start a family of their own.

IMPO everything comes back to the cost of a house. Every item or service that you buy in Australia goes back to the labour cost to pay people who themselves ultimately just want to buy a house in this country. If house prices are expensive, everything from hiring an accountant to paying a nanny will reflect that, they're just trying to pay their mortgage too.
For anyone complaining about the cost of goods and services here, nothing will change until housing is a reasonable portion of the average wage again.

Last edited by PG2; 19-07-2021 at 04:02 PM. Reason: PM sent
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #25
slowsnake
Banned

Everything is worked out using the cost of a loaf of bread, and how many minutes the average garden variety person works to buy said loaf!

It's an industry standard, it's how inflation is worked out!..no ****....

Cheers Billy.
Old 19-07-2021, 05:55 PM   #26
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I live in Perth, I have an old Nokia, so no Q code, ( another name for movement tracer, as used by WA Police ) they got caught out too.

But, I go as usual weekly, newsagent, chemist, IGA, Woolies and maybe TAB, and I sign my name and phone number everytime, last 12 months or longer!..and bottle hand sanitiser at most, and Woolies especially have rolls of wet wipes for trolley handles!
Most folk are good about toeing the line, if they say masks for 5 days, you comply, you'd be a mug if you dident?

Cheers Billy.
mate, I know you'll say you've covered yourself, off the grid or something as such, they can't find me lol.....
But really, make life easier when going around, cheap enough for any budget
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30400227...SABEgImLfD_BwE

They can provide instructions how to use
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #27
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What’s reason people these days don’t last 20 years in jobs is it because they’re along with everything disposable
No. Wage growth is the lowest it's been in a long time. For many people the only way to get a pay rise is to move to another company.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #28
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
mate, I know you'll say you've covered yourself, off the grid or something as such, they can't find me lol.....
But really, make life easier when going around, cheap enough for any budget
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30400227...SABEgImLfD_BwE

They can provide instructions how to use
I have an iPhone and hate it, I sign in when directed and leave phone number?..thought that was the go, I have watched folk walk up to the QCode and hold the phone quickly, but "switched off"???

Covid is not the problem, people are, like guns really, guns are safe, its the idiots who use em that aren't

Cheers Billy
Old 19-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #29
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Hmmm, so why quote "I have an old Nokia, so no Q code, ( another name for movement tracer, as used by WA Police ) they got caught out too."

People have always been a/the problem since adam/eve/cavemen and so on.....
Nothing new there.

What do you watch how people scan in ? how can you tell they do it right or not ? hang right near them ? I've never or would bother got no time for that and again thats their prob in turn comes back and bites us abiding rank and file who try to do the right thing for the big picture, whatever that is to some.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2021, 05:37 PM   #30
zilo
BANNED

Using a smartphone with a QR code is recklessly trusting a government.

A bit like the numb nuts who use their real names on facebook then wonder why they get a visit almost instantly from the fun police.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post