Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-12-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
CrankR
XR6 Madness

Default Pool Pumps

I have an Onga pool pump thats as noisy as hell. I expect it could be the bearings but am having trouble pulling it apart.
Does anyone here have experience in pulling these down and fixing them?

I've taken some pics to show how far i have got. Do worry to much about the fact that i have busted the tab on the side and can see the windings... that can be sealed.

The cooling fan on the end has a flat blade screw bolt but the other end (impellor) is all plastci with no way off undoing it. I expect it could be pressed on some how???

What do u guys think?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg christmas 06 068.jpg (60.5 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg christmas 06 069.jpg (63.7 KB, 126 views)
Custom Tune, Underdrives, Paccie #4490's with 2 1/2 Magnaflow
CrankR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I'm sure there is a nut on end of shaft with spring, seal etc under it... In 99% of cases the seal had been leaking...Spray with WD40 and use some graphite grease on assembly where water is i contact on thread ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
CrankR
XR6 Madness

Might see if i can find a site where they show u a detailed pic on pulling it apart.
Old 26-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Being a swimming pool technician, this brand of pump are not that crash hot, specially when something goes wrong (the problems continue).
I would recommend replacing it...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I think i can of assistance here, ive done this more than a few times...

You'll need bearings and mechanical seals(below) for the pump

http://www.sparepairs.com.au/category89_1.htm

You need to get the impeller off the shaft first.
Get a screw driver and give it a tap with a hammer(see pic below), if it doesnt work just hold the other end of the shaft where the fan is. You may need to give it a few taps to get it off, but they usually come away easily. But not easy enough by hand.

Once that is off, the rest pulls off quite easy. You will also need to take the fan off the otherside. Easily done with a little leverage.

Once all that is off and all you can see is the shaft going into the pump motor you should see the bearings at either end. Face the end down that has the bearing more exposed. The end with the bearing on the inside of the motor should be facing up. Then give it a little take with your hammer and it should come out.
Slide it out being careful of the windings inside the motor as you slide it out.

Find out what bearings you need, pop them off the shaft and replace them.
You may need a length of pipe just big enough to slide over the shaft to know the new bearings into place where they stop on the shaft. You'll see the lip where they stop.

Do in reverse.

Dont think i left anything out... Its been a few years...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
Being a swimming pool technician, this brand of pump are not that crash hot, specially when something goes wrong (the problems continue).
I would recommend replacing it...
I think the ONGA's arnt too bad a pump, they're all much of a muchness these days. Davey's are another good pump too, dont mind them either. They are also Australian made/owned by memory.
Parts are also readily available from most pool shops.

Buying a new one would be another option, depending which one you get you can get 2 or 3 year warranties on ONGA's now. Not a crummy 12months like those cheap *** Chinese and Korean Pumps.

To get a replacement pump your probly looking anywhere from $3-500 depending where you go. See http://poolshop.com.au/category5_1.htm has a listing pumps and prices.
Best off just seeing/calling a few of your local poolshops.

Otherwise you can just fix the one you have, might cost you $50-70 in parts.

You might also want to get some lube for the O-Rings on your pump body too.
Old 26-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndOwner
I think the ONGA's arnt too bad a pump, they're all much of a muchness these days. Davey's are another good pump too, dont mind them either. They are also Australian made/owned by memory.
Parts are also readily available from most pool shops.

Buying a new one would be another option, depending which one you get you can get 2 or 3 year warranties on ONGA's now. Not a crummy 12months like those cheap *** Chinese and Korean Pumps.

To get a replacement pump your probly looking anywhere from $3-500 depending where you go. See http://poolshop.com.au/category5_1.htm has a listing pumps and prices.
Best off just seeing/calling a few of your local poolshops.

Otherwise you can just fix the one you have, might cost you $50-70 in parts.

You might also want to get some lube for the O-Rings on your pump body too.
Yeah Daveys are quite a good pump. But anyways thats just my thoughts on the matter.

If you do replace the pump Heef101.
Id recommend a hurlcon pump
http://www.hurlcon.com.au/default.htm
They are a sponsor on Jim Reads top fuel dragster 2
Old 26-12-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Poolrite pumps are the best in the business. www.poolrite.com.au
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 10:42 PM   #9
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

hmmm^
Old 27-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
CrankR
XR6 Madness

Wow thanks guys, now i can have a crack at it with some idea : (hope i don't stuff it up)

Yeah, i have seen the price of new pumps and got scared off so i want to have a crack at fixing this one, especially after the pump only cost me a carton and i have had it running for 6 months now... was always noisy but it's getting to me now.

See that peice out of the casing in the above pic... i was just going to cover it with seally's NeadIt or similar... what u reckon? just needs to be weather proof...
Old 27-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
hmmm^
hmmm^ indeed. I have been in plastics for 28 years and was involved in the pool equipment manufacturing industry for several and still consult. The raw materials that go into poolrites pumps on the cheaper pumps are 20% glass filled ABS, (others use 10%). At the high end pumps they use 30% glass filled polyphenylene ether. The material is as tough as nails and by far the best material for pool pumps. I actually saw an old bloke take a pump back to poolrite that had given up the ghost. He wanted a new pump identical to the one he was replacing. The pump he was replacing was 24 years old. This is my opinion and in no way is meant to say other pumps are not good value, but like everything, you get what you pay for. Hurlon are quite good as well. ONGA :evil_laug
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2006, 04:04 PM   #12
CrankR
XR6 Madness

Just to clarify, the pump in question is only used during winter times to run my solar heating and only for a couple of hours a day therefore i would love to fix it to keep costs down and also just so i know how to. Still have many months to save for a new one if nessesary. :

My main pump system in all new gear if anyone's interested ^
Old 31-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #13
CrankR
XR6 Madness

Unhappy

Well this is how far i've got...

Can see both of the pesky bearings that i want to get off but still can manage to get the black plastic impellor off. Tryed the screwdriver method but to no avail. Next i will use my sledge hammer unless you guys have a better idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pump294_001.jpg (61.7 KB, 166 views)
Old 31-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heef101
I have an Onga pool pump thats as noisy as hell. I expect it could be the bearings but am having trouble pulling it apart.
What do u guys think?
I think you should'nt have mentioned pool pumps!!

We went away for a 3 day break only to come home to find ours (a Davey) has seized. Of course it happened at the beginning of a long weekend/Holiday period!!
Old 31-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heef101
Well this is how far i've got...

Can see both of the pesky bearings that i want to get off but still can manage to get the black plastic impellor off. Tryed the screwdriver method but to no avail. Next i will use my sledge hammer unless you guys have a better idea
Maybe try some multigrips, or get someone to hold the other end while you give it a tap. Dont be afraid to give it a good hit, you can always replace the impeller, they shouldnt be to expensive.
I never had too much trouble with removing them.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
CrankR
XR6 Madness

Talking

Hah! All is sweet!

My uncle (who just so happens to manage the local waterslide park) came over last night and showed me how to do it.

Grip the shaft with vice grips and unscrew the impellor off anti-clockwise. Piece of p#ss!

Now to buy the bearings etc. Thanks for the support guys _2:
Old 13-07-2021, 08:22 PM   #17
Currimundi
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: Pool Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankR View Post

I've taken some pics to show how far i have got. Do worry to much about the fact that i have busted the tab on the side and can see the windings... that can be sealed.

The cooling fan on the end has a flat blade screw bolt but the other end (impellor) is all plastci with no way off undoing it. I expect it could be pressed on some how???

What do u guys think?
I've repaired a few of these, it takes a lot of force moving it side to side and bashing it very hard, but it is also very easy to accidently break it.

Also important to note that the most common reason for failure after a repair is almost always the seal when you put it back together. You need to clean all joining parts very well or else the seal will fail over a few months. Even when this is your full time job it takes about 6 months of doing it every day before you become competent at it.

www.pumpandchlorinatorexchange.com.au - these guys run an exchange program where they will sell you a fully reconditioned machine regardless of the condition of your current machine and back it with a 12 month warranty.
Currimundi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2021, 08:24 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Pool Pumps

A 14 year thread mine! nice work for your first post.

Welcome to AFF by the way.