Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #11581
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

‘Fallen off a cliff': Vaccination clinics encourage second doses as AstraZeneca demand plummets

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...?ocid=msedgntp
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #11582
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A lot of airtime is being given on the ABC to Professor McLaws, a lockdown enthusiast.
Old 18-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #11583
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

Occupancy rates in CBD offices are at all time lows, businesses have discovered WFH saves them a fortune in rent, and providing hot desks allows them to down size when people have to come to the office.

To be honest the Melb CBD is a ghost town compared to pre covid and it's now quite noticeable the amount of vagrants and undesirables that call it home, on top of the unprecedented number of boarded up shop fronts from businesses that didnt survive...

On top of that a Mayor/council obsessed with eliminating cars from the roads, making it incredibly frustrating and difficult to get in there now anyway.

From someone who spends alot of time in Darling Harbour, Sydney CBD isn't much better.

Old 18-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #11584
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
From someone who spends alot of time in Darling Harbour, Sydney CBD isn't much better.
Worse still, many of the now less useful structures are difficult to make into practical, compliant residential buildings. That’s poor planning to me.
Old 18-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #11585
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
My cynicism goes further, expecting that its recipients to date will eventually be told they have to fully re-vaccinate with another product. I’m pleased that the spin-off in better confirming/treating blood clots may have enduring benefits.........
As far as I'm aware, the problem is with TTS, not the efficacy, so unlikely people who have had it will be asked to re-vaccinate. There will be boosters coming, that I think is pretty much confirmed. My folks have had their 1st. Their 2nd is due soon but they don't seem an ounce worried.
Old 18-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #11586
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its just rambling. Seems to appear when someone puts up a contrary view that all may not be well from the end of town that likes to lecture others. They are so sure of themselves, but they feel the need to criticise everyone else at every opportunity.

We are seeing a shift from CBD to surburbs. In some countries this had already started pre-pandemic. Businesses are going to have to adapt to survive. There are talks of encouraging / forcing people back into CBD for work. We received an email last night from our global CEO alluding to the fact that we are all going to have to go back to the office at some stage. I'm guessing there will be some pressure from the business council. Whilst a number of boutique small businesses are closing, go closer and some will say "relocated to xxxxxx", I'm guessing there will be a bit of rent shopping.
Old 18-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #11587
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Its just rambling. Seems to appear when someone puts up a contrary view that all may not be well from the end of town that likes to lecture others. They are so sure of themselves, but they feel the need to criticise everyone else at every opportunity.

We are seeing a shift from CBD to surburbs. In some countries this had already started pre-pandemic. Businesses are going to have to adapt to survive. There are talks of encouraging / forcing people back into CBD for work. We received an email last night from our global CEO alluding to the fact that we are all going to have to go back to the office at some stage. I'm guessing there will be some pressure from the business council. Whilst a number of boutique small businesses are closing, go closer and some will say "relocated to xxxxxx", I'm guessing there will be a bit of rent shopping.
Rambling and lecturig now
Your special T3 hope that slap leaves a good inprint.
Criticise everyone else ? where/who, turn it up mate......
I don't think you like someone responding or countering to Your pov.

roKwiz, for someone like you who frequents the areas you mention And we were at Watsons Bay pub most of Sunday past for eg it sure wasn't quiet/barron.
It was busy as, as was all the other restaurants/cafes etc....
The Burbs are busy as, normal day to day life.
Traffic is as per pretty normal.
Sure its not like pre covid as you'd expect but business is carrying on.
Companies/small business's have adjusted where they can so they can operate and keep employing people.
We're living pretty ok here in Syd just as others from Qld have quoted.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #11588
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Rambling and lecturig now
Your special T3 hope that slap leaves a good inprint.
Criticise everyone else ? where/who, turn it up mate......
I don't think you like someone responding or countering to Your pov.

roKwiz, for someone like you who frequents the areas you mention And we were at Watsons Bay pub most of Sunday past for eg it sure wasn't quiet/barron.
It was busy as, as was all the other restaurants/cafes etc....
The Burbs are busy as, normal day to day life.
Traffic is as per pretty normal.
Sure its not like pre covid as you'd expect but business is carrying on.
Companies/small business's have adjusted where they can so they can operate and keep employing people.
We're living pretty ok here in Syd just as others from Qld have quoted.
Yes I know the suburbs are great and getting on with it. We were talking about CBD's.
According to my father who looks down on DH apart from last and spends all his time there (due to travel restrictions OS) Apart from Thursdays fireworks CBD is dead and has been since March last year. He even commented on smaller food type businesses closing down due to the workforce not being there.

2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #11589
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes I know the suburbs are great and getting on with it. We were talking about CBD's.
According to my father who looks down on DH apart from last and spends all his time there (due to travel restrictions OS) Apart from Thursdays fireworks CBD is dead and has been since March last year. He even commented on smaller food type businesses closing down due to the workforce not being there.
yes re CBD has had its "down" no doubt about that - alot of companies have leased less floor space as any would and some small shops/cafes depending where located have closed. Depends which part of town your small biz was.
Obviously the cbd white collar brigade has had a massive re set to adjust to, imo this has been a good whittling down of the fat cats some, the little biz have been the ones to suffer the most.
2 of my kids are cbd based business employees, some time ago their companies informed back to office no more WFH.
Thats been healthy and many other companies have instructed this as well.

In saying that comparing apples for apples our cbd would be no where as baron as Melb's Thanks to not locking down anywhere as much as them.
As I've kept saying, in the big picture were living pretty ok but as we know depending the business sector your involved in, some have lost unfortunately and some are thriving.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 18-06-2021 at 12:20 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #11590
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm in the CBD most days a few blocks back up the hill from the Quay. I can confirm it's probably 80% back to normal in foot traffic, outdoor gym sessions, people in cafes, etc. CQ is missing all its OS tourists of course, but at least you can walk there now

But I know what yr father is saying - I went to a function in DH last week and it was pretty dead apart from the buildings that hug the CBD. A lot of empty office space there and Pyrmont/Ultimo.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #11591
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I'm in the CBD most days a few blocks back up the hill from the Quay. I can confirm it's probably 80% back to normal in foot traffic, outdoor gym sessions, people in cafes, etc. CQ is missing all its OS tourists of course, but at least you can walk there now

But I know what yr father is saying - I went to a function in DH last week and it was pretty dead apart from the buildings that hug the CBD. A lot of empty office space there and Pyrmont/Ultimo.

It’s coming baby….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
6 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #11592
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Pacific Rim - top flick
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 01:08 PM   #11593
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hence pressure from industries to also reopen international borders. International students at CBD campuses alone would make a bit of difference to accommodation, leisure, eateries and some small retails.

The suburbs of Melb is far from a "ghost town". Even during the last "lock down" people were out, long queues outside the more popular cafes etc, driving through the likes of Hawthorn, Malvern and Phraran (inner east) and you wouldn't even think there were restrictions in place.
Old 18-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #11594
.:4:.
Kicking back

So i still stay in contact with my old manager. So this is referring to comercial electrical. So when i left that job, i was a service electrician. So with the majority of clients staff working from home the service calls died off. Scheduled maintenance, a lot of that died off because no one was in the office so therefore there was less and less maintenance required. Now work did pick up for a few months, but that was purely due to companies heving success with people working from home, so to save money they would downsize their offices. A lot have adoped the method of people sharing a desk, but alternating the days between them of coming to the office and working from home.
One management style my old company adopted which was legal, but a bit of a dog act in my opinion was due to the amount of people looking for work, they'd be willing to do the same job for less pay. So there was a high staff turnover as management was sort of pushing people out. I left on my own terms for my own reason, so i wasnt pushed out. But things had changed anyways. Just little things, like team meetings used to be held with the boss taking us out for lunch, that ended. A lot of little perks that made it feel like the company was looking after its employees ended. Also other stuff. So it used to be encouraged to take clients for coffee etc. The compamy would pay, it was to create customer relationships. Not every day/week or whatever. But then that got taken away to save money as the business advisor deemed saving pocket change more important the keeping good customer relationships and repeat business. So with covid slowing down work, in my mind wouldnt you want to keep as many customers as possible? Any tom, dick or harry can do most jobs we were doing, but if a client likes the service, they dont shop around, they stick to who they like.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #11595
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
‘Fallen off a cliff': Vaccination clinics encourage second doses as AstraZeneca demand plummets

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...?ocid=msedgntp
More people have died from vaccination blood clots than covid in australia in 2021
Old 18-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #11596
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
More people have died from vaccination blood clots than covid in australia in 2021
Wrong.

They died for other reasons mostly, of old age and/or comorbidities, not the vaccine, so get your facts straight sir.

It is only when people test positive for covid that they dont die from old age or other factors, its the 'rona every time.

Last edited by lumen8; 18-06-2021 at 01:56 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #11597
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT June 17th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

16 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.003%.

2 cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.958% and active cases 22.

The UK had a higher 10,809 cases yesterday and 19 deaths.

A higher 14,023 new cases in the USA yesterday and 423 deaths sees CMR at 1.793%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 178M, the last 1M in 3 days;
Global deaths pass 3.85M, the last 50k in 5 days;
Asia passes 54M cases;

Namibia (2,075) on 16/6;
Afghanistan (2,313);
Mongolia (2,642); and
Zambia (3,394)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day
average and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 18-06-2021, 03:00 PM   #11598
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Wrong.

They died for other reasons mostly, of old age and/or comorbidities, not the vaccine, so get your facts straight sir.
Perhaps you should get yours straight. As far as I can see the numbers are actually equal. There have been two deaths in Australia this year contributed to COVID19 and 2 TTS deaths that are believed to be related to AZ. The decision yesterday was based on there being a further 7 TTS AZ related cases being identified bringing the total to 48.
While the media concentrated on the 7 (out of 12) new TTS cases in the 50-59 age group the last 2 weeks have seen 11 (of 20) cases reported in the over 60's age group.

Of course AZ is no longer considered safe for the under 60's but ok for the over 60's even though they represent the bulk of confirmed TTS cases.

From this weeks TGA report:

This takes the total Australian reports assessed as TTS following the AstraZeneca vaccine to 37 confirmed cases and 23 probable cases.
Most cases have occurred in people aged over 50 years because the AstraZeneca vaccine has been used almost exclusively in this age group since the recommendation from ATAGI on 8 April 2021 that the Comirnaty vaccine is preferred in people under 50.

The TGA’s adjudication committee, which met to review these cases on 16 June 2021, confirmed that seven of the 12 new cases this week were in individuals aged 50–59 years old.

Of those 60 cases, 36 have been discharged from hospital although some are still receiving care; 22 are still in hospital (4 critical) and 2 have died.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #11599
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was actually being facetious there.

If I remember right, over 200 people have died after being vaccinated according to govts own website somwhere or other, mightve been a TGA page. I know correlation does not equal causation though.

That said, the official death number attributed to the vaccine is listed as 2, but its not beyond the realms of possibility that within those other 200+ deaths there may have been more adversely affected by it.
Old 18-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #11600
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
I was actually being facetious there.

If I remember right, over 200 people have died after being vaccinated according to govts own website somwhere or other, mightve been a TGA page. I know correlation does not equal causation though.

That said, the official death number attributed to the vaccine is listed as 2, but its not beyond the realms of possibility that within those other 200+ deaths there may have been more adversely affected by it.
“To 13 June 2021, we received 303 reports of death following vaccination for COVID-19 vaccines.

By chance, some people will experience new illnesses or die from a pre-existing condition shortly after vaccination, especially if they are elderly. We review all deaths reported after vaccination and compare the expected natural death rates in a similar case group to observed death rates following immunisation to distinguish between possible side effects of the vaccines and coincidental events.”
Old 18-06-2021, 06:40 PM   #11601
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All this chopping and changing on AZ. Offer it to anyone who wants and export any surplus at this point I reckon.

Give Pfizer to anyone who wants it once the vulnerable and front line workers are finished and we just have to deal with supply issues until we get either more Pfizer and Moderna and Novamax supply starts coming in.
Old 19-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #11602
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yes AZ has risks but every medical act, as well as life in general has an element of risk.

They need to compare the AZ risks to other actions we do every day to show how minor the risks are in reality.

I think a marketing campaign comparing AZ clotting risks to things like:

* getting struck by lightning
* having an accident on the way to vaccination
* getting food poisoning
* breaking a leg playing sports
* having a heart attack
* catching covid and developing long term problems

Will show that the risk of not getting it may be worse than other risks we accept every day.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #11603
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The media have done a great disservice to our vaccine rollout when it comes to AZ.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #11604
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post

Give Pfizer to anyone who wants it
Last Tuesday I walked into a Pfzier only vaccination hub(waited about an hour) and received a Pfzier shot and I am older than 60. No questions asked. There was also other people in that age group who received it as well. Too much hype in the media on what you can't and can have.
Old 19-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #11605
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How have people gone with getting their vaccination?
I've just had my second shot (Pfizer) on Thursday. I had a sore arm after the first shot, and no side effects after the second shot.

I did get a cold after getting the first shot, but that I blame on the kids as they passed their colds on to me.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #11606
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
Last Tuesday I walked into a Pfzier only vaccination hub(waited about an hour) and received a Pfzier shot and I am older than 60. No questions asked. There was also other people in that age group who received it as well. Too much hype in the media on what you can't and can have.

I am in Perth and am 68 yrs old, I have refused AZ 5 times, for reasons I have recently explained.
I asked my GP last week to give me Pfizer vaccine, his reply, I can't, you need to go to a hospital ED and ask there?....

Cheers Frustrated King Billy
Old 19-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #11607
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I am in Perth and am 68 yrs old, I have refused AZ 5 times, for reasons I have recently explained.
I asked my GP last week to give me Pfizer vaccine, his reply, I can't, you need to go to a hospital ED and ask there?....

Cheers Frustrated King Billy
The Qld government said that they will give the injection regardless which one, even like me turning up to a Pfizer only hub. GP's can't give the Pfzier injection as it needs to stored at -70C, which GP's haven't got the equipment to do this. Hospitals and injection hubs currently are the only places with this equipment.
Old 19-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #11608
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT June 18th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

8 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.002%.

1 case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.958% and active cases 23.

The UK had a lower 10,270 cases yesterday and 11 deaths.

A lower 13,518 new cases in the USA yesterday and 382 deaths sees CMR at 1.793%.

Other notable points:

Mongolia (2,746); and
Brazil (98,135)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day
average and Nepal drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 19-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #11609
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
The Qld government said that they will give the injection regardless which one, even like me turning up to a Pfizer only hub. GP's can't give the Pfzier injection as it needs to stored at -70C, which GP's haven't got the equipment to do this. Hospitals and injection hubs currently are the only places with this equipment.
Would think any one with a fridge could dish it out, some ones telling porkies. https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topi...ion_fact_sheet
- The vaccine can be stored for five days at refrigerated 2-8°C conditions.
After storage for up to 30 days in the Pfizer thermal shipper, vaccination centers can transfer the vials to 2-8°C storage conditions for an additional five days, for a total of up to 35 days. Once thawed and stored under 2-8°C conditions, the vials cannot be re-frozen or stored under frozen condition

Last edited by five 7; 19-06-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 19-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #11610
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Would think any one with a fridge could dish it out, some ones telling porkies. https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topi...ion_fact_sheet
- The vaccine can be stored for five days at refrigerated 2-8°C conditions.
After storage for up to 30 days in the Pfizer thermal shipper, vaccination centers can transfer the vials to 2-8°C storage conditions for an additional five days, for a total of up to 35 days. Once thawed and stored under 2-8°C conditions, the vials cannot be re-frozen or stored under frozen condition
It took almost a year for the logistics of the temp requirements to be met so that the vaccine could be given to people here in Aus. The update on the lower temp requirements is only recent, give it time.
They're not likely to change the process so quickly so for now, yes, only places that can handle the (original) temp requirements have the vaccine. Besides, it still needs to be diluted and there are processes in place around that too, else we end up back in that scenario where those oldies were given 4x the dose they were supposed to get.
It's not difficult for anyone to take themselves to a hub if they want to pfizer shot.

Closed Thread