Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #31
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Which cars will Australia Police force use once no more Australian made cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
The future of police cars in Australia

More than capable of driving from the station to Maccas and back for burgers - and lets face it that is what 95% of cop cars do all day.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #32
CheftonUTD

Default Re: Which cars will Australia Police force use once no more Australian made cars?

Today I saw a guy get pulled over by some sort of unmarked Hyundai hatch-back thing.

Also been seeing plenty of Highway Patrol cars getting about lately, they're still all Holdens and Fords at the moment.
CheftonUTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #33
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

It is going to be so weird seeing police cars that aren't Commodores here in SA. At my local station, practically 100% of the marked cars are VE Commodores (some VFs have started to be phased in too).
It will be a funny sight to see a 4 cylinder FWD police car trying to pull over a speeding driver in a RWD V8 or I6T!
The VE Commodore has made a great patrol car because with those big flared guards and wide body, it looks tough and has a lot of presence... I laugh when I see a Camry police car, they don't look mean at all.
In fact, I can't remember ever seeing a patrol car in my local area that wasn't either a Commodore or some sort of 4WD (paddy wagon), they don't even seem to use Falcons here.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #34
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Police cruisers might be Subaru Libertys and imported Camrys. I've seen Mondeo police cars, maybe state governments could buy more of them.

Highway patrol cars might become Chrysler 300C SRT8s. Perhaps even some EVOs and WRXs?
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #35
MrXR8

I'll say for hwy patrol they might use the new dodge charger as they are currently using them in the states. Saw it on classic restos love that show. Or the Toyota aurion trd as it certainly has the grunt.
When a car gets past you, you just want to go after them, you want to chase them down, you want to pass them. It's primal. But then there's another side to it, where you just completely forget about all the other cars on the track, and you feel like you're in another world. It's just you, at one with the road and the car.

Eric Bana
MrXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #36
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXR8 View Post
Or the Toyota aurion trd as it certainly has the grunt.
The TRD Aurion was axed in 2009.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #37
PlukaDuck

Take your pick

http://getcaptured.blog.hu/2013/04/1...j_ha_tudsz_124

Old 13-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #38
jamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
The TRD Aurion was axed in 2009.
They use the Aurion Sportivo on the Goldcoast we service them at work..
Old 13-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #39
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

Conspiracy theory , all state Road traffic Authorities will / have reduced speed limitsby the time GMH & FORD have gone so that police don't need fast ( AUSSIE) pursuit cars to catch us 2 klms over the limit because we will all be doing 50 klms per hour everywhere as we all know by now "Speed kills " folks ....
They will be driving i20 s lol as that's all they will need.
OwnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #40
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Ford Taurus and Chevy Impala (with a Holden badge on it)
Impala is a great car...we rented an LTZ model in Vegas. Went really hard for a plain six cylinder FWD car. Tyres were a bit crap...obviously cheap rental-quality ones, but with the right tyres it would be a rocket. Plenty of space too.

HWP cars being Mustangs? Not sure they'd want a two door car for police duties...be cool though...

High speed pursuits are on the way out...what with helicopters and number plate recognition. It was said many years ago that the car hasn't been built that can outrun radio signals travelling at the speed of light, and all the cops have to do is radio ahead.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 13-12-2013 at 09:12 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #41
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

General duties cars have to be 4 doors, but specific HWP cars do not.
They can be 2 door.
Remember Chargers and Falcon Hardtops, even Minis?
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #42
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
More than capable of driving from the station to Maccas and back for burgers - and lets face it that is what 95% of cop cars do all day.
Bwaaah hah hah hah hoo hoo - oh stop it Spammy you're killing me!!!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #43
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they should use the BMW 135i as a hwy patrol car for ***** and giggles.lol
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #44
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

http://youtu.be/lBelrmQcJxA

and nsw highway patrol have had quite a few utes, so 2 door sedans aren't ruled out.
Old 13-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #45
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
High speed pursuits are on the way out...what with helicopters and number plate recognition. It was said many years ago that the car hasn't been built that can outrun radio signals travelling at the speed of light, and all the cops have to do is radio ahead.
And assume that there is another Police vehicle up the road who can deploy a stinger or otherwise intervene for the radio caller. Call as much as you want on VKI, if there is no one else around to help you out at that moment, you're it. Chases are over in the space of a couple of minutes, not the hour long escapades you've been watching on the news.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #46
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Is there scope for a “pursuit” spec Ranger? It’s not a pursuit vehicle per se, but can be modified to go faster and lower the centre of gravity to make it less prone to rollovers.

One thing I have noticed both in terms of a general policing trend and the type of vehicles, is the rise of the dual cab ute for general duties use, practically replacing everything else.

The reason for this has nothing to do with vehicle availability and the new car market and everything to do with the increase in violent crime in city and urban areas.

A dual cab ute with a prisoner module on the back can transport 4 coppers with all their accoutrements to a particular job, and still have room on the back to throw the bad guys in if they nab one, and keep that person isolated from the cops in the vehicle and anyone else.

You can’t do that with a sedan or a traditional ute. Or a Mustang either.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #47
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Bwaaah hah hah hah hoo hoo - oh stop it Spammy you're killing me!!!
Was a statement of fact rather than a joke - but glad you found it funny all the same.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #48
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen a few lancers around Newcastle. Maybe some Ralliart Lancers to fit the bill?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #49
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

If they can't buy aussie they can't buy aussie so they'll find the next most suitable option for whatever criteria they have or develop. They won't lose much sleep over it I don't think.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #50
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thinking outside the square. With Ford and Holden closing, there should be less people starting families in the northern suburbs of Melbourne and Adelaide post 2016. This should lead to a large natural decline in the required police resources and police cars.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #51
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So i work at a mental hospital here in Idaho, and the cops brought some guy over on a hold and I noticed the cop car was a Caprice. First thing I say to the cop as he is handing over the patient "you know your car is Australian, right?" He said "yeah it's a Holden." I asked him he liked it, he was telling me the others were jealous cos they didn't get to drive it. I wonder if GM will continue the Commodore and Caprice as global cars beyond 2017. I think the Mustang would be fine for some HWP application. I see the occasional one here. Perhaps Ford should offer Interceptor versions of the Ranger, Everest, and Taurus all with 3.5L V6 EcoBoost for cops.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #52
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motorcycle and car replacement has already begun in Queensland.

Last edited by paule11; 26-12-2013 at 06:32 PM.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #53
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
Was a statement of fact rather than a joke - but glad you found it funny all the same.
Ahhhh - so that's what those two cop cars are that I see parked outside KFC all day every day. They're the other 5% that don't like pickled cucumbers!

Mate you're an absolute genius - thanks for that!!!

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #54
Squish

I think Mustangs and SS Camaros are the logical choice. Quick enough, easy enough to drive and large enough. The smaller Japanese cars sound good in theory but once you put all the Highway Patrol kit in them such as MBT, speed cameras, dash cams, radios, switch banks to control everything, computer systems and warning devices it gets quite cramped in front. Not to mention things like road spikes, bullet proof vests and other goodies in the back. Having had the opportunity to sit in the drivers seat of a current gen XR6 Turbo Highway Patrol car there really isn't much room in there. Passenger side seemed worse too.
Squish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #55
Insidious

At the end of the day...we the tax payer will foot the bill for whatever the government buys for them, so be ready for a massive tax and find increase to fund the cost of the hp cars there need to bump up there revenue

07 TX RWD Territory
Insidious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #56
OCTANEBOSS

Outlawed Harley Fergusons maybe
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #57
jamies

On the Goldcoast I've seen hyundais, VW Golfs, ford Focus XR5's an orange and black one.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #58
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The search has begun

http://www.caradvice.com.au/289111/l...-police-fleet/

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #59
staity

I heard NSW Police were testing the Chrysler 300, and Volvo S60 as their HWP. That came from a local cop.

2013 Ford Kuga Titanium Gunmetal Grey
staity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #60
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue.