Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #301
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Crypto $$$

Just watching a youtube video. Someone bought 450 million XRP in one shot. Roughly $981 million USD purchase!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #302
Saski

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I believe if you transfer more than $10,000 overseas it raises flags for the govco. I get this from my elderly neighbour who got divorced, and discovered chinese hookers. They are constantly transferring money back home to family, but always in less than $10k lots.
Having worked for a major bank for many years l'll try and clarify a little here without going into too too much detail.

AML laws or Anti Money Laundering does not only just look at amounts of over $10K but rather patterns in transactions also, or anything that could raise a flag - even if you conduct totally legal business or general banking. Yes amounts over $10K must to be reported to Austrac but lesser amounts can still place you on the radar depending on what internal systems the bank or financial institution uses - some more sophisticated than others. It's not just human bank workers who process physical transactions, there is sophisticated software at play. And it affects all sorts of transactions - not just international transfers. Example: Your granny here in Australia gifts you $10K and you walk into the bank and deposit it - you have just been reported. The teller may just casually ask you something that sounds like general chit chat like "it's a good feeling to be able to deposit this to your savings" or whatever - in the hope that you give them some info which is added to the the report sent to Austrac. It's then up to Austrac to investigate further. Finally, Austrac = Gov.

Oh, and a sure fire way to get on the radar quick fast is to deposit amounts just under $10K. Of course it's fine if you conduct legit business or banking. At some point in time most of us will have a report sent anyway, example: when you buy a home, pay deposit, sell a home, buy a car, transfer largish amount of funds for those much needed car mods from your preferred tuna

A lot of this info is publicly available so it's no secret.

Last edited by Saski; 31-12-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Saski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #303
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw4NIsPlmF8

First half is of interest.
Old 31-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #304
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Tax plan is to cash out in Germany.....
. . . . . And stash it in Hitler's bunker ?
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2017, 11:47 PM   #305
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
. . . . . And stash it in Hitler's bunker ?
Whatever works
Old 01-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #306
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

. . . Or you could issue us all with 'Crypto currency stimulus packages'
Old 01-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #307
Lunch
Wait, what?

The crypto ebb and flow
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #308
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well if you hold for over 12mths, under 12 mths it's classed as income. At least there's no GST on transactions. Also you don't get a dividend or franking credit on crypto's unfortunately.
That's what I was wondering, how does the ATO view Crypto Currency trading? Do they class it as any other investment/capital gain scheme?

When you say hold it for 12 months do you mean keep your funds in the BitCoin trade account and after 12 months withdraw it would be classed as a capital gain? So you would be better off withdrawing under 12 months and declaring it as income you would get taxed less or would you get taxed more as it would be classed as a "second" job/income?
Which is the better option, declare it as income or as investment?

Quote:
Well, all your fees/costs are taken into account in your cost base, as is inflation, so it works in your favour, plus only declaring half your all up gain helps a lot too.
When you say declare only half your gains, whats the risk factor here?

There must be ways to minimize your tax on Crypto Currency trading, I'm not meaning anything illegal, but there must be ways around certain taxes, there normally is.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #309
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

you should talk to an accountant (hopefully you can find one that knows about crypto). the ATO has a published policy on their website, but it's still early days.

You don't want to take advice from 'someone' on a website, and get stuck with a massive tax bill. get professional advice - they have insurance for if they mess up their advice.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #310
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
you should talk to an accountant (hopefully you can find one that knows about crypto). the ATO has a published policy on their website, but it's still early days.

You don't want to take advice from 'someone' on a website, and get stuck with a massive tax bill. get professional advice - they have insurance for if they mess up their advice.
Yeh I understand that, was more to get a feel of what is involved on the tax front and how it is classed as by the ATO.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #311
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
Yeh I understand that, was more to get a feel of what is involved on the tax front and how it is classed as by the ATO.

See links from Snap0964 below:

Quote:
A bit of light reading, just as a heads up for the Tax consideration.
https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Gen/T...cally-bitcoin/
https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/Gene...tcoin/td-p/980
Rough general rule of thumb is same for most investments, sell under 12 mths, declared as income after expenses taken out. Sell after 12 mths, classed as a capital gain, so you only have to declare half, after expenses taken out.
Interesting that after 01Jul17, no GST on crypto transactions - nice PITA to not deal with at the moment.
In the second link is a response stating less than $10k would be considered a personal use asset and therefore exempt from Compulsory Gains Tax????

I plan on confirming that with accountant, as I won't be dropping anywhere near $10k into it, but surely it can't be if it cost me less than $10k to buy throughout the year then I don't need to declare it - would have thought it would depend on how much I sold it for (or more specifically how much profit/loss I made when I sold)?

But the 10K is referenced in there by both an individual (WolifBolf) who claims to be a Tax Agent that is in to crypto, and is then repeated by an ATO-certified user (AmandeE).

"However, gains from disposal of personal use assets are disregarded. Personal use assets are CGT assets, other than collectables, used or kept mainly for the personal use or enjoyment of you or your associates. Any personal use asset you acquired for less than $10,000 is disregarded for CGT purposes. If you did mine a small amount of Bitcoin as part of a hobby then your cost is generally only the actual costs incurred by you."
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #312
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
See links from Snap0964 below:

In the second link is a response stating less than $10k would be considered a personal use asset and therefore exempt from Compulsory Gains Tax????

I plan on confirming that with accountant, as I won't be dropping anywhere near $10k into it, but surely it can't be if it cost me less than $10k to buy throughout the year then I don't need to declare it - would have thought it would depend on how much I sold it for (or more specifically how much profit/loss I made when I sold)?

But the 10K is referenced in there by both an individual (WolifBolf) who claims to be a Tax Agent that is in to crypto, and is then repeated by an ATO-certified user (AmandeE).

"However, gains from disposal of personal use assets are disregarded. Personal use assets are CGT assets, other than collectables, used or kept mainly for the personal use or enjoyment of you or your associates. Any personal use asset you acquired for less than $10,000 is disregarded for CGT purposes. If you did mine a small amount of Bitcoin as part of a hobby then your cost is generally only the actual costs incurred by you."
Thanks Iggle Piggle!
Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #313
CJR09
RPO 77

Quite a good XRP blog...

HERE

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #314
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
you should talk to an accountant (hopefully you can find one that knows about crypto). the ATO has a published policy on their website, but it's still early days.You don't want to take advice from 'someone' on a website, and get stuck with a massive tax bill. get professional advice - they have insurance for if they mess up their advice.
This is correct - seek guidance from an accountant, or ask the ATO - and as always, get something in writing or an email so you have evidence to produce.
What I've discussed and the links I've provided are designed to give you a heads up only. Do read through them to get a basic understanding - better now than to leave it til when you sell up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
There must be ways to minimize your tax on Crypto Currency trading, I'm not meaning anything illegal, but there must be ways around certain taxes, there normally is.
You do have a number of options, just a few - making a contribution of crypto business earnings to super - taxed at 15% rather than your marginal rate. If you've got a CGT amount - bringing forward capital gain loses to offset from previous years, and so on. Seek qualified advice.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #315
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

There is a buy order in now for ripple of $290,000 AUD. Dont know why I stressed about my $500 lol.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 01-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #316
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

It seems to me that the big buy orders might be finance companies/Banks. It also says that ripple may have found its low price point.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #317
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
It seems to me that the big buy orders might be finance companies/Banks. It also says that ripple may have found its low price point.
Yep if I had more money I would be buying up right now.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 03-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #318
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can anyone tell me how to use the Ripple QR code on the BTC Markets deposit page to deposit funds and also I take it that the AUD - BPAY Biller code and reference number is my unique deposit reference?

Is the QR code payment method the quickest?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #319
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to use the Ripple QR code on the BTC Markets deposit page to deposit funds and also I take it that the AUD - BPAY Biller code and reference number is my unique deposit reference?

Is the QR code payment method the quickest?
Dont know about the QR code for deposit but the BPAY code is unique to you (ref number). Pretty sure BPAY cleared in one business day for me.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 03-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #320
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

In regards to the QR code do you mean the two factor authentication thingo? If so you just need to download the google authenticator app to your phone. The QR code is used by that app. It doesnt have anything to do with deposits it is just added security for when you log in.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 03-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #321
Lunch
Wait, what?

Just reading the btcmarkets tweets, they’re currently attempting to get through 20,000+ bpay deposits.. business is booming
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #322
steve101

lost so much money waiting for bpay to clear is there a quicker way to add funds newbi
Old 03-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #323
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve101 View Post
lost so much money waiting for bpay to clear is there a quicker way to add funds newbi
Not unless your bank supports poli payments. They did stop accepting those payments accross the holidays so not sure if that option is back.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 03-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #324
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATAL View Post
In regards to the QR code do you mean the two factor authentication thingo? If so you just need to download the google authenticator app to your phone. The QR code is used by that app. It doesnt have anything to do with deposits it is just added security for when you log in.

No, not the two factor Authentication. Its on the account/deposits page and under Ripple there is a green box labeled "show Ripple address", if click on it a QR code is shown. How do you use this for deposits?
Old 03-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #325
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've been waiting since I wanted to buy at $0.99c, waiting for my verification letter and now for funds to clear only to watch it go up by the minute.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #326
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
No, not the two factor Authentication. Its on the account/deposits page and under Ripple there is a green box labeled "show Ripple address", if click on it a QR code is shown. How do you use this for deposits?
That is for depositing actual ripple / XRP that you already own elsewhere. You need to deposit AUD not ripple. Once you deposit AUD you can then buy ripple.

The deposit ripple is so you can have it stored elsewhere in a secure wallet and then when you want to sell it you then deposit it back onto btcmarkets and then sell it.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #327
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Double up...

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 03-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #328
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Double up...
Sweet, thanks.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #329
steve101

Quote:
Not unless your bank supports poli payments. They did stop accepting those payments accross the holidays so not sure if that option is back.

yeah not going to happen unfortunately anz looks like i have to wait
Old 03-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #330
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
yeah not going to happen unfortunately anz looks like i have to wait
You should get an email as soon as the funds are there.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD