Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 21-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Territory2014
Diesel virgin

Exclamation Less equipment on new 2014 Mondeo MC Zetec wagon TDCi?

I'm due to pick up my new 2014 MC Mondeo Zetec wagon TDCi in the next few days. From what I've seen here and on the web I'm convinced Ford is slowly stripping the Zetec spec of some of its standard equipment. I saw the car today in the pre delivery yard and was somewhat shocked to find no rear air vents in the B pillar. I am sure this was a standard feature until recently. The sound system now only accommodates one CD, as opposed to a 6CD previously. Tyres are also narrower at 215, instead of 235 not so long ago. Roof racks are also different, no longer having a gap between the roof and bar. Coming from Mitsubishi and Holden cars, where over the years the level of equipment increases on newer models, it seems Ford is reducing its levels. Is this normal?
I'm confused...please help

Territory2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Binny

Default Re: Less equipment on new 2014 Mondeo MC Zetec wagon TDCi?

Hmm some of them I can't really comment on but I doubt the tyres are a cost cutting exercise. The MA had 235/45-17 on the Zetec and TDCi which are a very common size and much cheaper to buy than the 215/50 on the newer models. I'd imagine its to do with lower rolling resistance/better economy more than anything. The official fuel economy ratings are taken so seriously these days.
Also with the stereo do people even use 6 CD stackers any more? If my LX had Bluetooth streaming and USB like the Zetec does I wouldn't even use the CD at all. I'd have a USB stick full of music instead.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
Deo

I'd be surprised if you confirmed any changes to trim besides the MA/MB/MC cycle. The dropping of 6 CD to single CD happened across the range for the switch from MB to MC, but on the Titanium badge I'm sure that it was the only downgrade.

I would have preferred to get 6 CD but I think they updated the alternative audio inputs to compensate (bluetooth/aux).

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
steve289

My MB Zetec has the 6 stacker CD unit.
In the 3 years i have had this car, not 1 CD has been played or even entered into the stacker. USB all the time!
steve289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MC Titanium, 2 1/2 years old, like Deo's, the CD player is still virgin!

Steve
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Yeah our '09 MB Zetec doesn't have rear vents, the 6cd stacker is present but we'e yet to use it too. USB or BT gets used all the time though. I did notice the Titanium get is though. Not sure on the reason to change to 215 tyres, perhaps it gives a slightly more nimble feel, not sure...

They are asking a big jump in sticker price going from a Zetec to Titanium if you ask me.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The OP should get what has been paid for.

In Europe there is a capability to option much stuff into the build when ordering, but in Oz, if you pay for a car "off the showroom floor" so to speak you will get what ford has specified for the car when they order a bunch of the for them Oz market. I'm not sure, but I believe that if you are prepared to wait you can option what you want still. Since I'm not in the market I haven't tried though.

If you can find out the VIN and then use the ETIS site you can find out the full build spec for the vehicle you have waiting for you.

Ours has the 6 CD system and it gets a lot of use as it will play mp3 files and across 6 CD's that's more than 30 hours of material. By the time you get back to disc 1 track 1 you have forgotten what it was! And since those discs stay in the car I don't have to remember an alternative source of material, but that's just me.

The 215 section tyres have been an option since the MA but tended to come on 16 inch steel rims. People travelling on dubious quality roads often asked for them as they have a bigger numbered profile and give a softer ride.

I'm not sure what B pillar (the pillar between the doors(?)) vents you mean, as the extraction vents on our sedan are in the rear parcel shelf, but that isn't an option on the hatch and wagon and the air feeds for the car rear are routed under the driver and passenger seats.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Deo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
I'm not sure what B pillar (the pillar between the doors(?)) vents you mean
Cheers
Yes, between the doors some cars have A/C vents for the kids to have their own control of hot/cold air.

MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Old 24-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
Territory2014
Diesel virgin

Unhappy Re: Less equipment on new 2014 Mondeo MC Zetec wagon TDCi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
I'm not sure what B pillar (the pillar between the doors(?)) vents you mean, as the extraction vents on our sedan are in the rear parcel shelf, but that isn't an option on the hatch and wagon and the air feeds for the car rear are routed under the driver and passenger seats.

Cheers
The Etis site is great and quite useful, and confirms ' Less Rear Comp Duct'.
This is a major interior design difference from vehicles built before June last year, which had the air vents on the B pillar between the doors. Most of the reviews I've read online took into account cars built prior to this change, and made specific mention of the inclusion of these ducts on the Zetec badge. I'm really disappointed with Ford taking out this feature, obviously to save money, yet the retail price of vehicle has not changed. Looks like the Zetec is slowly heading towards the LX badge...
Old 24-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Deo

Post Re: Less equipment on new 2014 Mondeo MC Zetec wagon TDCi?

As AlanD says, you should get what you pay for.
So if you look at the brochure here you can see - unless they've changed it - that a Zetec should come with the rear air duct.
But it also clearly comes with 215 tyres as you can see here
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch

Last edited by Deo; 24-08-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 24-08-2014, 11:44 PM   #11
Territory2014
Diesel virgin

Hey Deo, I can only wish that the current brochure looked like that one from 2011...'rear compartment air duct' has been removed!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408884263.995614.jpg
Old 25-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #12
Deo

AH so you were absolutely right - they have changed the spec mid-series!! :sly:

MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Old 13-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

The rear air ducts was one of the reasons I purchased mine just two years ago. The Mazda 6 I was considering at the time didn't have rear vents in that series and with family, I considered then very important. I was also looking at the specs and the advert on the Ford site recently and they seem to have also deleted the FRONT parking sensors as well. That is really disappointing as I find them very useful with the sloping nose of the car.

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Canyonero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
Territory2014
Diesel virgin

Front sensors still there, definitely no vents
Old 14-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Need rear vents in Australia..it will be interesting to see the new Mondeo Specs....
Old 17-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

One of my daughters hates the fact that our hatch doesn't have rear vents. She pines for the AU wagon!

I wouldn't buy a Mondeo wagon now if it didn't have the rear vents.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #17
Territory2014
Diesel virgin

Tell Ford. I told them I was very very disappointed with equipment being taken away from the new model. I've never heard of reducing equipment, on the contrary, it's always added to new models. Go figure...
Old 17-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Classic Ford de-contenting. They are masters at it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post