Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
fordmondeoman

Default Service items

Gday all,

Just serviced my mb tdci, using castrol ll04 oil which is designed for diesel engines with a particular filter, seems to be the best oil i can find for it. Wondering what other people are using and if anyone has had any issues with there particular filter's (hope not as they are suppose to last awhile and arnt cheap)
My main question is i want to changed the filter and oil in the auto (yes i know its life time but a little tip is that life time isnt that long with manufactures these days)
Auto's are to expensive to fix, replace.
Anyone had any issues filling them up or changing the filters?
Thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

The oil will be fine, the particulate filter should not be anything you ever have to worry about. How many k's on the auto? Be aware that modern hi-tech auto's are sealed for life for a reason and warranty is covered by the maker of the auto not by Ford so you WILL void your warranty if you service it yourself.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Treny
Starter Motor

According to Castrol website it states Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40 for the Mondeo TDCI. It also gives a list of other lubricants and coolant.
Treny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
MOND30
If You Seek AU

I found a few things that indicated a 5W-30 for the TDCi. I bought some Castrol Edge Sport tonight, and went to change the oil but found it's not really a home job... oh well, will just do an early 15k service when I get back from the trip to Sydney and Melb next week
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30
I found a few things that indicated a 5W-30 for the TDCi. I bought some Castrol Edge Sport tonight, and went to change the oil but found it's not really a home job... oh well, will just do an early 15k service when I get back from the trip to Sydney and Melb next week
An oil change is doable at home, but will take time unless you have a hoist. You have to jack the car on the lifting points just inside the sills, then you can put stands under the sill jacking points. Next job is to remove the undertray, then it's just like a normal oil change!

5W-30 is the correct grade

Last edited by NZ XR6; 14-05-2010 at 05:06 AM.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
fordmondeoman

i do all my work on a hoist so its easy but the undertray isnt to bad on this model compared to some cars i think.
Old 14-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
MOND30
If You Seek AU

No wonder my stack of two paving bricks didn't quite cut it... works fine for the X-Trail
Old 03-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
Diesel
Sea Grey TDCI

Hi all, I have just serviced my 08 MA TDCI Mondeo, (i will only pay $300 once for an apprentice to service my car at Ford.)
The oil filter is Genuine part only and costs approx $30 from spares,
i went to my local Valvoline depot and ordered my oil in for the car it is a 5W-30 low ash synthetic diesel oil, i spoke to technical support at valvoline for recommendation as it wasn't listed in their catalouges,(Very helpful guys) i can't remember the exact name but i will repost after i check. It only came in 20Lt container which cost around $250.00.
The nappy on the bottom is simple to get off and the oil filter is even easier to change as it is up top.
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Diesel
Sea Grey TDCI

The Valvoline oil for the 2.0L TDCI that i ordered in was Valvoline Synpower ENVC2 SAE5w-30. This was the recommended low ash diesel oil for ford Mondeo's. It was a order in item only. (From my local valvoline dealer) Others may stock it.

Happy servicing
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
MOND30
If You Seek AU

I just got quoted $450 for the 15k service on the TDCi. I'm a bit gobsmacked. This was the dealer I bought it from, so I'm waiting for a call back from another dealer with a quote - yes, they have to look it up and call me back *sigh*

Is this the famous Ford customer service I've heard so much about?
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I'd be calling a few different dealers. Also check the service book, it will have the items that need to be checked / replaced. Get a quote for all the parts that need replacing according to the book, than add the hours it says are needed, possibly 1.2 or there about’s, times that by $110 and there’s your service costs. At 15,000k's they are only changing the oil and filter in the engine, that’s it! Fuel and air cleaner won't be due unless your subject to a lot of dusty roads. Don’t get sucked into all the ‘required’ little extra’s they are just profit builders for the dealer, no benefit to you and totally unnecessary.

On the above example you’re looking at
Labour 1.2 hours x $110 = $132
Oil = approx $65
Filter = approx $30
Shop rags and sundries = $20
GST approx = $25
Total should be around = $272

Shop around buddy …… shop around!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Thanks Paulie, will definitely check out some options.

The only issue is that the selling dealer offers a 5-year warranty if I have the services done there, and I'm thinking about all the electronic gizmos in the Titanium that could go wrong in a few years time... and is an extra $180 once a year really that big a price to pay? Hmmm *ponders*
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
entheos

Quote:
I just got quoted $450 for the 15k service on the TDCi. I'm a bit gobsmacked. This was the dealer I bought it from, so I'm waiting for a call back from another dealer with a quote - yes, they have to look it up and call me back *sigh*

Is this the famous Ford customer service I've heard so much about?

The Scheduled servicing rrp on your Mondeo Diesel is $320 including everything as far as filters, oil, shop supplies etc. the XR5 Turbo is the only one that carries such a price for it's 15k servicing. ;)

and my guess is that it's a Ford Extended warranty which stipulates that you have to get it done at A ford dealer...not nessecarily THAT ford dealer..

PM me if you get stuck mate.

Groomy
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
warren77

Groomy: what is the RRP on the Mondeo services?

(if not too much trouble to ask).
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 AM   #15
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
The Scheduled servicing rrp on your Mondeo Diesel is $320 including everything as far as filters, oil, shop supplies etc. the XR5 Turbo is the only one that carries such a price for it's 15k servicing. ;)

and my guess is that it's a Ford Extended warranty which stipulates that you have to get it done at A ford dealer...not nessecarily THAT ford dealer..

PM me if you get stuck mate.

Groomy
Thanks mate. Sadly it's a dealer-specific extended warranty, and the conditions clearly state it must be serviced by them.

They came back and said it was high because they include by default the 'odour filter' replacement, which they said isn't always necessary and it's up to the customer. If we take that off the list it comes down to $370.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
entheos

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Groomy: what is the RRP on the Mondeo services?
15,000 - Petrol $300 / XR5 $450 / Diesel $320
30,000 - Petrol $300 / XR5 $450 / Diesel $320
45,000 - Petrol $300 / XR5 $450 / Diesel $320
60,000 - Petrol $440 / XR5 $725 / Diesel $485

(if not too much trouble to ask).
See above. XR5's carry a special XR5Turbo.com forum price as found on the website under ' NSW Cruisin ' but you need to be an active member and contact me to book it in. ;) - I know you are warren, but for those interested, just shoot me a PM or email (mgroom@sinclairford.com.au)

Quote:
Thanks mate. Sadly it's a dealer-specific extended warranty, and the conditions clearly state it must be serviced by them.

They came back and said it was high because they include by default the 'odour filter' replacement, which they said isn't always necessary and it's up to the customer. If we take that off the list it comes down to $370.
The Pollen filter usually carries about a $90 charge fitted. You will see that in my post on the link above) It still doesn't change the fact that the RRP on the Scheduled Servicing is $320 for your car using all the items required on the Service requirements(excl. Pollen filter) [oil, filter, workshop consumables] the $50 extra they are charging you is for nothing...it's over and above the RRP...but then it's just an RRP and if you can sell it for more, then you can sell it for more... Let me know how you go mate. And make 100% sure that it's a dealer specific extended warranty as opposed to a Ford Extended warranty.

Cheers,

Groomy
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If the odor filter is not part of the scheduled service than its part of the dealer 'upsell' and won't effect your warranty. Get the service done less the filter.

As for the extra $50, its worth the peace of mind re your extended warranty.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
warren77

Groomy: Thanks for posting.
Might be a bit far for me to come from WA ;)
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post