Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 17-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Mackspower

Default Hill Start - correct operation?

Just wanted to share my experience with the Hill Start function on my MC Titanium hatch auto and to hear from others if this is typical.

The Hill Start function reliably engages when I stop on a suitably steep incline. I get the Dashboard warning telling me Hill Start is active with an "OK" screen button highlighted.

The problem is, if I a) take my foot off the brake pedal, Hill Start immediately deactivates or b) if I press the "OK" button on the steering wheel, Hill Start deactivates (regardless of the brake pedal status).

For starters . . . and if I understand the owners manual correctly, if I remove my foot from the brake pedal once Hill Start has (auto) engaged, the vehicle should hold steady until I depress the accelerator and there is sufficient engine torque to move the vehicle forward.

I would be interested to hear your experiences or your take on this.

Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Allusion

Default Re: Hill Start - correct operation?

I don't know about the ok button as I've never clicked it but mine keeps the brake on until I accelerate, or at least long enough that I have been able to accelerate without any problems and it's stayed rock steady every time. Sounds like a glitch to me.
Old 17-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It shouldn't deactivate until you touch the accelerator based on my experience in a Passat with DSG.

And therein lies a trap for the unwary... I bumped the accelerator while waiting at traffic lights and stopped just in time to avoid hitting the car in front. So I'd recommend leaving the brake on while stopped, which kind of negates the purpose of the feature.
Old 17-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Allusion

It is only for hills though when you need to start moving. The car will actually roll backwards if you take your foot off the brake when launch assist is turned off, all the other autos I've had didn't do that, so I'm grateful for it.
Old 17-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
ian b

My MBXR5 holds for around a second once I take my foot off the brake pedal, and the release of the hill assist is accompanied by a warning bleep.
Maybe the operation is different for us with 3 pedals.
Old 17-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Fishman

I think you can alter how the hill start activates in your car. I have the setting so that it comes on automatically, but you can have it so that it'll ask if you want it. Works flawlessly on mine, but I have accidentally rolled my foot onto the accelerator and accidentally deactivated the hill start.
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are we adding complexity to our driving! I remember when hill start in a manual was my driving test,what is wrong with using the handbrake its one of the reason its there?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Are we adding complexity to our driving! I remember when hill start in a manual was my driving test,what is wrong with using the handbrake its one of the reason its there?

apstar
It's actually very useful in a car with a dual clutch gearbox. As they don't have a torque converter, they will start to roll if you're on a hill and take your foot off the brake. It basically holds the brake on for you until you press the accelerator and start to move.
Old 18-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #9
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:

apstar
+1 ...
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
kayjay
Starter Motor

My understanding is that if the Hill Start Control is working it will hold for a couple of seconds whilst you move your foot from the brake and place it on the accelerator to move off. Also be aware that you may also experience what is happening with our MB Zetec TDCi. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Currently it's back at the dealer for rectification of Multi function display, Bluetooth and radio problems for about the seventh or eighth time. Also the auto wipers seem to have a mind of their own and will randomly operate even when the wipers are fully switched off. Of course Ford deny that they are experiencing any problems with the Mondeo like we are.
kayjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its exactly what I was referring to Complexity

apstar
Old 18-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Allusion

Quote:
Its exactly what I was referring to Complexity

apstar
The Hill start assist isn't complex, you take your foot off the break, and accelerate.

Adding a handbrake start when it's not required adds complexity particularly for people that are used to driving automatics where the handbrake was never needed.

Manuals may be a different matter though and I could imagine some drivers getting too used to it in the mondeo and then forgetting they need the handbrake if they drove a different car.

It can always be turned off but for me it's a great feature and makes the car behave more how I expect it to behave.
Old 19-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't say it was.I was referring to the thread above mine about the TECH stuff that kayjay was having problems with for the 7th & 8th time!

apstar
Old 21-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Allusion

ah sorry apstar, completely misread
Old 21-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allusion
ah sorry apstar, completely misread
No probs

apstar
Old 24-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
vunny
Starter Motor

I was confused at first.. but now I can't live without it... just enough hold to get off the line on a steep incline.
vunny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
kayjay
Starter Motor

As I said in my earlier post when it works it works well. The problem that we are experiencing is that every now and then it does not work and that's where you need to be right on the ball in case the car starts to roll backwards. Could be embarrasing.
kayjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #18
Mackspower

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Based on our collective knowledge, the drivers manual isn't quite right. Hill Start will only hold the car for a second or two after brake release. Not (as claimed) until the car is generating sufficient torque to prevent roll back.

Like many of you, I still love this feature . . . it even works in reverse gear.
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post