Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #361
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
I've been watching the prices of genuine XW Fairmont V8's for a very long time.

I am still not confident I'll be able to afford what I want (grecian gold, factory 351) by the time I am 50 and still able to enjoy it. I am 35 now and long for the prices of the late 90's seeing them for under 10k in every unique cars magazine I could get my hands on.

Prices are easily north of 100K for immaculate factory V8 cars, north of 75k for clean V8 swapped cars and over 50k for even a 6 cyl beater that is still running.

Is there anyone who might like to hazard a guess as to when prices will soften enough to bring them back to a realistic classic car option? Is it a generational thing? will the early falcon stuff lose popularity as the current owners age and lose interest? Or will the values just keep rising?
Hi Calais, good luck to finding what you wish. Grecian gold, oh wow, what a colour that is. I do not know if they will soften in price soon, for the baby boomers who saw them in their youth, and Gen X who drove them on their P's, still have quite a bit of purchasing power - note all the new 200s and stupendous caravans going around, as well as 3m+ priced coastal property... Not to mention how Gen Z (my kids' mates anyway) regard them in awe when one is around.

From my study of Ford history, the XW Fairmont was available with a 302, but no 351. With the XY you could option the 351 2V and there were about 300 cars so fitted(?). Our Fairmont is late 1969 build, 302 and mechanically optioned as highly as you can without buying a GT. If you want a 351 in one, I'd hazard it would have to be added later, ie non-original.

I remember the late 90's, I had an XW Fairmont V8 wagon bought for 4K. Loved that car but came on hard times and sold it in 99. Kicked myself as it left the driveway. So I determined I'd find another XW Fairmont, took till 2002 working around Australia to find it, an original one with V8 and GS pack at 7K. What I loved about the GS at the time is it had the extra goodies like the dashboard, wheel, rims and stripes, but didn't attract too much attention (then!) compared to the GT which was all colours, decals and noise. Ie people didn't bother with them. Nowadays, however... Also, do you know, for a 52 year old car, it turns over more easily than any car we own! It's just so sweet.
Similarly, I liked the ED Sprint for its understated looks. Maybe that one now is beginning to look classic/valuable? Dunno.

I think the XY years and final years into 2016/7 will remembered as the two peaks of the Australian muscle car industry and will be held in high regard into the future, moreso than the model T days are regarded today (although those were important too!). If we fail to ever make cars again these eras will be extra special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
they didn't feature in any popular movies ex Hollywood either.
There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I spare your lives. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have one full day to decide.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:46 PM   #362
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I spare your lives. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have one full day to decide.
I have no idea what that quote is from
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #363
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hehe - it was worldwide influential and inspired much bondage gear

oh yes, and had Falcons and Monaros
Old 13-06-2021, 01:12 AM   #364
DTFRMONT

I wouldn't be surprised if anything capable of towing a caravan, or capable of a decent road trip will still command high prices even when overseas travel starts up again.

I suspect international travel won't be as free & easy as pre-covid, nearly all countries will probably require vaccination as a condition of entry & pre-trip testing might be a requirement.

The other elephant in the room is travel insurance. Wouldn't be a surprise if those over 70 or so find it difficult to obtain travel insurance, also those who are unable or unwilling to be vaccinated will most likely be unable to obtain insurance.

Also, Cruising probably won't be the cheap & cheerful holiday option it once was, with the extra measures the cruise lines will have to implement.

As a result, there'll be a large number of people who will still be restricted to holidaying locally.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #365
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There’s price madness about.
Heard a story about a guy in regional WA with a Landcruiser on order when covid hit.
Dealer offered him $20k to cancel the order as he had customers lined up waving handfuls of cash at him.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #366
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did a search I'd given up on doing (UZJ100 Cruisers, I just like them) as it got ridiculous last year - thought I saw ask prices coming down a bit for 200,000km cars... is it easing?

Also, travel around Oz costs have gone through the roof, so different to when I did it for work early 2000s, where it was $6 a night for caravan + family of 4 at a caravan park in some out of the way spots... No wonder the youngins are grabbing a van and just parking on the street, and monopolising beachside carparks and toilets.
Old 13-06-2021, 07:20 PM   #367
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Land Cruisers are all absolute drug money at the moment, forget about anything sub $20K

Even the undesirable unleaded variations are big spondoolies.

Forget cryptocurrency, property and shares all you need is a fleet of ****box Land Cruisers and you're rubbing shoulders with Elon Musk and the Clintons on the next flight to Epstein Island.

Rock up to the bank and they'll roll out the red carpet, someone inside rocks up with a gold card on a silver platter with 'VIP' on it right at the end of the carpet and with your immense equity you'll be able to buy Australia 108 tower.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-06-2021 at 07:25 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #368
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep these were asking 25s

It's enough to get young crew thinking about offroading some really rare and exotic stuff <10K prices...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-m89AWfe90
Old 13-06-2021, 10:56 PM   #369
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

There's still some good buys for older cars, just not Australian or European ones

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6835956/?Cr=0

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7233918/?Cr=4

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-3559589/?Cr=0

There was a nice 1970s Fiat 124 Coupe that sold for about $16K recently in Melbourne.

Or a UZS171 Crown - for about half the value of the JZS171 variation with the VVTI 1JZGTE:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6845906/?Cr=4
Old 13-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #370
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My neighbour’s niece’s husband just picked up a newish Prado (I think, pretty certain not a Cruiser) ex one of the central Australian indigenous organisations. They considered it at end of service life; five years. Fleet vehicles were sold by sealed tender.

$5K.

I offered to double his money, no dice.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #371
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Land Cruisers are all absolute drug money at the moment, forget about anything sub $20K

Even the undesirable unleaded variations are big spondoolies.

Forget cryptocurrency, property and shares all you need is a fleet of ****box Land Cruisers and you're rubbing shoulders with Elon Musk and the Clintons on the next flight to Epstein Island.

Rock up to the bank and they'll roll out the red carpet, someone inside rocks up with a gold card on a silver platter with 'VIP' on it right at the end of the carpet and with your immense equity you'll be able to buy Australia 108 tower.

I think I've found the Young Person's Landcruiser Alternative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFINZ6riQBo
Old 14-06-2021, 08:05 PM   #372
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
There's still some good buys for older cars, just not Australian or European ones

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6835956/?Cr=0

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7233918/?Cr=4

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-3559589/?Cr=0

There was a nice 1970s Fiat 124 Coupe that sold for about $16K recently in Melbourne.

Or a UZS171 Crown - for about half the value of the JZS171 variation with the VVTI 1JZGTE:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6845906/?Cr=4
Did you see the smaller white Fiat coupe recently? Was just under $8k. Got snapped up almost the same time it was listed.

Missed out...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 08:06 PM   #373
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I think I've found the Young Person's Landcruiser Alternative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFINZ6riQBo
That was an epic effort if ever I saw one.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #374
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drug money prices asked for the last panel vans is real

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/curr...van/1276099088

The astute might remember my pick in the COVID car price appreciation thread was as many XG/XH as 10K would buy...
Old 16-06-2021, 07:09 PM   #375
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
It's crazy when you consider it. When he gets past the bogged 60 Series coming off the cape beach... I could get my ED up some of the radio tower tracks for work back in the day (when my 60 was in for service) - but that was rocky tracks and I'd stop and get out to physically remove bigger rocks haha

My young one does some decent 4x4 with his mates, and being without a rig despairs at the pricing now. So he's been off to the odd parts of youtube looking at people 4wding some really strange, 2wdish, unlikely stuff. That link was one of his.

Also have a look for the RTV doing Fraser, that was nuts and it looked like he had bouncy castles as wheels!
Old 16-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #376
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
It Wasn't until the late 60's early 70's when 4WD vehicles became a bit prevalent. Every Vehicle that went up there was 2WD...

It's amazing where those Old Skinny Wheeled Vehicles from the 20's & 30's could Go..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2021, 08:34 PM   #377
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Check out some of the RAID videos - a few are on YT. Citroëns 2CV covering near implausible terrain for a tinny little aircooled two-pot car. Eg: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_1iVe9ubG8o
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2021, 09:11 AM   #378
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Check out some of the RAID videos - a few are on YT. Citroëns 2CV covering near implausible terrain for a tinny little aircooled two-pot car. Eg: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_1iVe9ubG8o
Gutsy effort. No suprise for a 2CV considering they were designed for the farmer to drive across a ploughed field.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #379
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Drug money prices asked for the last panel vans is real

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/curr...van/1276099088

The astute might remember my pick in the COVID car price appreciation thread was as many XG/XH as 10K would buy...
Glad I bought the XF van now, problem will be the parts now.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #380
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw Jimnys listed at 40k the other night. I guess technically second hand if someone has bought one for 25k then listed it right away. Told my workmate who just took delivery of hers she could probably make an easy 15k if she sold it, but she loves it and wants to keep it.

Whether they're actually selling at 40k could be another story entirely.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 07:16 PM   #381
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interior shots give me flash-backs to late 80s - looks well kept: https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-60010...sedan?spr=true
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #382
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I saw Jimnys listed at 40k the other night. I guess technically second hand if someone has bought one for 25k then listed it right away. Told my workmate who just took delivery of hers she could probably make an easy 15k if she sold it, but she loves it and wants to keep it.

I really like the new Jimny, I don't even have an interest in 4x4ing its just a cool little retro throwback, I see a fair few on my daily commute and in the inner city.

But I don't love it at $40K.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 08:21 PM   #383
slowsnake
Banned

Geez I wish I kept my 62 EK panelvan now, I cut it up and made a trailer for my brother in Qld in the late 70's, it had one of the Repco crossflow heads, it was cracked between the valves on No 5 chamber, but fixed that with a lot of heat and some Eutectic nickel rods, must of gone through 4 blocks, grey motors take 5,500 rpm, but crank snaps at 6000 rpm, lol.

Always carried a spare diff and gearbox in the back!
It was quick too, and windowless.
That Ford van with the windows is not a van to me, and he won't get his $46 grand, maybe a V8 with a top loader box, but even drug money has to show a profit, but not on that

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #384
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
I really like the new Jimny, I don't even have an interest in 4x4ing its just a cool little retro throwback, I see a fair few on my daily commute and in the inner city.

But I don't love it at $40K.

Have to agree there, even a ride like Kylie Minogue in gold hotpants, would pull less dollars, lol, hahaha.
But $40 grand for that bit of tin, it reminds me of a sardine can, just missing the key!...

Cheers King Billy
Old 23-06-2021, 08:28 PM   #385
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I haven't had a truck yet, I reckon thats gotta be the next weekend ****box for Franco

Seem to be worth less on the second hand market too in that LR class and there's some cool **** like Ford F600/F700.

Check out this thing

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7280187/?Cr=0

Perfect candidate for LS1
Old 23-06-2021, 08:32 PM   #386
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Interior shots give me flash-backs to late 80s - looks well kept: https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-60010...sedan?spr=true
What a damn shame its a 6 and not a nice little 289 tucked under the bonnet or even a 302, I associate the Fairlane Marque with prestige and power, but nice car and very good price, if I was looking I would buy it!

Cheers King Billy.
Old 23-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #387
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I haven't had a truck yet, I reckon thats gotta be the next weekend ****box for Franco

Seem to be worth less on the second hand market too in that LR class and there's some cool **** like Ford F600/F700.

Check out this thing

Crash gearbox Franco, you wouldn't like it
Old 23-06-2021, 09:43 PM   #388
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Crash gearbox Franco, you wouldn't like it
Anyone got a spare T5? Give ya half a pack of winnie blues and 6x VB cans for it, with my driving might need a couple because it'll break before I get to the end of my driveway

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...8094355818093/

Imagine Franco cruising Chapel Street in this absolute weapon

The tray itself is 5.5M long, the Lebonator would fit on the back of that for when it blows the trans cooler lines again, might just leave it on the back and drive the F600 around

Greentop + turbo, 0 to 6 feet under in less than 10 seconds for sure

Why buy an F100 when you can have an F600, its 500 better

A 'ute' could be handy

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 23-06-2021 at 09:56 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #389
hayseed

Quote:

Check out this thing

Go to the Auctions Buy a Hybrid Camry Wreck, Do a Driveline Transplant...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 01:59 AM   #390
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post

All that crazy is trickling down market, any 90s Suzuki Sierra or Daihatsu rocky is now listed for 8-10 grand where I live.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz