Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #31
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Default Re: lightest steering

Thanks for the input.

Yes. If there is no AU speed sensitive steering. Then it seems the problem with my Forte, is the rack is not getting the extra pressure it needs at idle/low speeds?
So knowing nothing about how to fix that, I assume it has to be a fault in the valve, wiring, or ecu?

And taking my own post ot...I too felt a difference with the B series being heavier. Test drove a BF wagon and it felt much heavier that the AU wagon I ended up buying. I also had a BF RTV ute and one of the reasons I sold it was because the steering felt much heavier. I've now bought a BA ute RTV running gear to do a conversion on the AU wagon and notice it's optional whether to change the steering rack or not...so maybe I should be leaving the AU rack in?
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2021, 11:44 AM   #32
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id leave the AU rack if it were me if you like the AU feeling (i for one do), there is a post somewhere on this forum (i think) from a wrecker that had put BA engines in AU's and left the AU rack... the fittings/threads are the same, and ive checked that side of it myself. he said you can just bend the BA high pressure line by hand to get it to screw into the AU rack... seems you know about that anyway.

Where the lines go into the rack is just a bit different position on BA's, im assuming they rotated the BA rack threads a little to better clear the BA V8. (along with using banjo bolts on the BA V8 lines)

If your forte rack has the pressure switch working right, you should be able to feel the engine rpm compensate for steering when stationary... compare it to the other cars you have. If that seems ok Id guess pump pressure is low, id probably try swap pump before considering the rack itself.

And yeah when you jump in a BA for a quick spin or short drive you will feel the difference some... but on really long drives where you are doing hundreds if not thousands of steering inputs, like an interstate trek etc, well you feel it more, and I prefer an AU in such circumstances, it becomes apples and oranges the longer you drive.

BA's have a different ratio to AU's also by the way, less turns lock to lock, so they tweaked that also.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #33
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
I dont think any AU racks are speed sensitive. I have a few different models, including wrecks/parts cars, series 1 and 2, never seen one.

The 6's just have the pressure switch to up the engine idle so the pump has more pressure when steering at idle/low speeds.

The v8 racks look the same to me, the hole where the switch goes is just plugged. Ive put v8 racks in 6's and vice versa and not felt a difference. All the ones ive driven felt the same to me (lightness), including an ex police forte v8 with live axle.

Im not sure if XR racks are different but I suspect they arent.

For what its worth I always prefer driving an AU over a BA or later for long distances, the steering weight adds up over time, I dont tire driving AU's, even driving them hard on highways and twisty roads after hundreds of k's.

If/when my BA rack lets go/leaks im going to try an AU one in it... the pressure lines are a little different but the rest seems the same in terms of physical fit.
There all the same for AU, switch is purely for IAC/Speed control as the 6 is more sensitive to engine load; if you want light steering, ensure the stock sway bar is fitted to the front and reduce the caster to the minimum settings.

I like the tighter steering and my LTD was too light for my liking so I've got 30mm front bar, 24mm rear and set the caster up around 7 1/2*-8* degrees positive with half degree split.
Wider tire's obviously also contribute to heavy steering
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #34
asimplelife
Donating Member2

I haven't been able to make the time yet to investigate further this AU I have with much heavier steering.
But something I did notice in the recent cold snap, just with this car, is when I started driving it on a cold morning, I had to fight with the steering wheel it was so heavy.
This was for about 50 meters and then it just released back to just the usual heavier steering.
It seemed like either the fluid somewhere or part of the steering itself had frozen?
What might that be?
And could it be related to the overall heavier steering of this car?
Old 03-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #35
asimplelife
Donating Member2

Because I continue to have no time to work on my AU's as I had planned, I am putting my Forte i6 Option 20 police pack into the mechanic next week.
First thing was to resolve this heavy steering (much heavier than my 5 other i6 AU's).
I have a seal kit to go in the existing pump.
If there is no improvement, I have a good spare pump to go in.
And if there is still no improvement, I've got a good spare rack to go in.

I want to keep this car long term and spend more on it (manual & vct conversions, respray).
But I can't keep it if the steering is so heavy...I just want it to be like my other AU's...I love the light steering in a big car.

I was speaking to another AU Option 20 owner. He has 2 other AU's. And he said that the steering in his Option 20 is much heavier too.
My mechanic (who tells me I am wasting my money, and that he prefers heavier steering in his falcons) had previously asked me, if it was possible the Option 20's deliberately came with a heavier steering?
I have not been able to find any reference to that being the case though.
Would really appreciate if anyone knew anything about this thankyou.

Last edited by asimplelife; 03-12-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #36
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

My old OPT 20's steering was light as a feather. Some of my AU's are heavier than others, doesn't bother me at all.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #37
asimplelife
Donating Member2

Thankyou very much for the feedback.
But when I bought those side skirts from you a while back...you suggested you might be a little ocd...at least with AU's...so I guess it should be clear to me where I now sit on that scale
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #38
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XF Fairmont Ghia was the lightest steering I've ever used, was almost dangerous at high speed
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #39
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
Thankyou very much for the feedback.
But when I bought those side skirts from you a while back...you suggested you might be a little ocd...at least with AU's...so I guess it should be clear to me where I now sit on that scale
I guess it depends how heavy it is and the feel you like. For me, there is nothing wrong with any of them in the steering, all components are good. I have no idea why some are lighter and some aren’t but I’m ok with it. Depends how heavy we are talking though, I wouldn’t consider any of mine “heavy” so to speak.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #40
asimplelife
Donating Member2

Well all fixed!
Just installed an ebay power steering pump seal kit, and now the steering is lighter than any of my 7x AU's.
It was also suggested that maybe due to the poor seals, the power steering pump was being effectively bypassed?
Although there were no fluid leaks from the pump.
I had already replaced the ball joints and had the wheel alignment shimmed up.
All that I didn't replace was the pump itself or the rack.
And the theory that maybe option 20 police packs have different steering is debunked.

Thanks to all for the guidance.
I am very happy with the result.
Now this is my sedan keeper and I can start putting some money into it.
Old 17-12-2021, 08:39 AM   #41
asimplelife
Donating Member2

Happiness is but a fleeting emotion anyway.

So after installing the power steering pump seal kit, the steering in this option 20 forte became the lightest of all my (x6 actually) AU's.
Then I loaned the car to someone for a few days, who put a load of km's on it.
Got it back yesterday, the steering is heavy again.
Maybe not quite as heavy as it was, but very close.
I have no idea what could be going on now?

It seems like my next step is to replace the whole power steering pump with a good one from another AU that I am wrecking?
2 users like this post: