Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-05-2021, 07:43 PM   #151
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: 2001 AUII ute immobilizer problems

Hi. Have you tried the ford PATS reset of holding the key in the start position for 3 seconds, You may have fixed the problem but just need to reset the BCM. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2021, 10:45 PM   #152
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Citroënbender Do you mean I am able to run a number of live test using the Dashboard, Oscilloscope or Table views???
FuriousFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #153
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Have you tried the ford PATS reset of holding the key in the start position for 3 seconds, You may have fixed the problem but just need to reset the BCM. Cheers MD
Not sure what you mean by fixing the problem, as I'm still having the same issue. The PATS programming option is not available to perform the reset procedure. Holding the key in the ON position for 3 seconds does nothing, as the smartshield icon/light is flashing fast repeatedly.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #154
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Not sure if I can do this, but am I able to transfer all the required components from the AUI ute I have to the AUII ute?

If so, what is needed (i.e. key, key barrel and TILA, PCM, BEM)?

Being mindful that I only have one key for the AUI ute.

Or can I just swap over the BEM?
Old 03-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #155
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Not sure if I can do this, but am I able to transfer all the required components from the AUI ute I have to the AUII ute? Being mindful that I only have one key for the AUI ute.

If so, what is needed (i.e. key, key barrel and TILA, PCM, BEM)?

Or can I just swap over the BEM? However, the BEM in the AUI ute is yellow and the BEM in my AUII ute is blue. Not sure and correct me if wrong, but I think the yellow BEM is mid series to include the power windows, ABS and other powered accessories.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #156
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Hi. Did you have power at the fuse box for fuses 10 & 11? If no then check for power on yellow/black wire on back of fuse box If yes pull out BEM (above your left knee and check for power on a black/pink wire (a12) and a yellow/black wire (b10). Cheers MD
Sorry for the delayed reply foxtrot3, but checked power to the BEM via A12 (black/pink wire) & B10 (yellow/black wire). Using test light I have power to both wires.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:51 PM   #157
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

At the moment I don’t have an AU to examine how Forscan presents itself in use.

Nearly all these diagnostic programs have actuation tests per module; eg run the fuel pump, click the purge solenoid, dry fire injectors and generate sparks. On the BEM I’d expect to find horn test, possibly blinkers, maybe door lock cycling.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #158
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousFord View Post
Not sure what you mean by fixing the problem, as I'm still having the same issue. The PATS programming option is not available to perform the reset procedure. Holding the key in the ON position for 3 seconds does nothing, as the smartshield icon/light is flashing fast repeatedly.
Hi. Ford have a reset procedure so when the problem is fixed (blown fuse. damaged wiring. etc.) you hold the ignition key in the start position for 3 seconds to force a read of the chip in the key otherwise the BEM will stay in theft mode. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #159
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Citroënbender Yes I am able to perform live test using FORScan as pictured in the screenshot below. Without being able to turn the ute over, I am still able perform stationary test while the ignition is the on position.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #160
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Hi. Ford have a reset procedure so when the problem is fixed (blown fuse. damaged wiring. etc.) you hold the ignition key in the start position for 3 seconds to force a read of the chip in the key otherwise the BEM will stay in theft mode. Cheers MD
Okay understood Michael. Have tried holding the key for 3 secs as suggested, but it's still immobilied.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #161
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Citroënbender Yes, I am able to perform live test using FORScan as pictured in the screenshot below. Without being able to turn the ute over, I am still able perform stationary test while the ignition is the on position.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-05-02 220735.png (86.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #162
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Correct me if wrong, I unable to perform a parameter reset as I only have one key?

If I can do the reset using one key, the other issue is that PATS programming option is not available after running FORScan diagnostic test, so doing the reset is not an option in the menu for some reason.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #163
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parameter reset only requires 1 key to do as your only linking the bem and pcm
2 keys are required if you replace the bem

Can’t help much on forscan as I don’t use it
You may need a upgraded licence to carry out parameter reset try contacting forscan
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #164
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Re BEM tests, it looks like I was inaccurate in my description of how these are done in Forscan. Attached thumbnail is very early BA but AU2 should be similar.

Not shown at left bottom of screen is the triangular “play” symbol to start the on-demand sequence. It cycles the locks, blips the horn, flashes the blinkers and drives the wipers.

If you can’t do this then you probably don’t have sufficient dialogue with your BEM.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #165
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Yeah those other test do not appear when I select test mode. These are the only test that do appear, so the BEM probably died on me. If the BEM has died, do I only need to replace the BEM or do I need the PCM also??? After making a few calls, I was able to track down a matching BEM, PCM, key, ignition barrel and TILA to match the key from another AUII ute for $350.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-05-02 210843.png (42.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by FuriousFord; 07-05-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #166
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I think you’ve possibly got a power supply issue. Pretty sure you can do a cluster test on the AU.

A BEM would need two unique keys to pair with the PCM.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #167
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

I've got power to the interior fuse panel and all fuses are are testing positive and I've also checked the power supply to the [COLOR=#F80000 ]BEM[/COLOR] via A12 (black/pink wire) & B10 (yellow/black wire), which is also positive. Any ideas on what else also needs testing for power supply?
Old 21-05-2021, 07:39 PM   #168
lachiewalker85
Starter Motor

Anymore updates on this one? I have an AU11 which has done the 3 attempted starts and now the red hand. Did you end up doing a parameter reset?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
lachiewalker85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2021, 11:41 PM   #169
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachiewalker85 View Post
Anymore updates on this one? I have an AU11 which has done the 3 attempted starts and now the red hand. Did you end up doing a parameter reset?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Nah not as yet. Re parameter reset, I'm a little confused as some guys are saying I need two keys and some are saying I only need one. Another matter is that I'm using FORScan app with OBDlink EX and PATS programming is not showing up after performing diagnostics test. So, obviously there is some dialogue problem between TILA and BEM or BEM and ECU. Still have no interior lighting even though I have power to interior fuse panel, all fuses are testing positive and I have power to BEM. Reason I haven't added to this thread recently is that I have saved up enough to buy another PCM,BEM, key and ignition barrel with TILA. Gonna try that out and if I'm still having dramas after installing, then it's obviously some wiring problem. Still going to preserver until I get it mobile one way or another. Unless somebody pops up with some other suggestions, then I'm just going to replace the new kit and see what happens. Will give update after replacement.
Old 22-05-2021, 08:36 PM   #170
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Another matter is that I'm using FORScan app with OBDlink EX and PATS programming is not showing up after performing diagnostics test.

do you have the extended licence?
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2021, 01:13 AM   #171
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
do you have the extended licence?
Nah I still need to purchase the extended licence. But do I need one key or two for PATS programming? I'm confused.
Old 23-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #172
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You need two keys with unique chips. Only one has to actually turn the ignition, at a pinch.

I would like you to verify some pinouts/wires starting from the diagnostic port.

Can you please check:
  • There are two permanently grounded pins.
  • One permanently live pin
  • Continuity of the CAN pair that go direct to the PCM
  • Continuity to the far side of C-158, for wire 70
  • Continuity between PCM pin 13 and corresponding diagnostic connector pin
Old 23-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #173
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your NOT doing PATS programming as such which is programming 2 keys to the BEM and has already been done before you got the vehicle

When carrying out a parameter reset you are linking the BEM to PCM and will proceed with the first key that is used ie. 1 key

This may fix your problem or you may have something else causing your problem

Did you program your new remotes yet
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #174
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Quote:
Nah I still need to purchase the extended licence. But do I need one key or two for PATS programming? I'm confused.
You don't have to pay for the extended licence. There is a 2 month free trial;
https://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #175
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Your NOT doing PATS programming as such which is programming 2 keys to the BEM and has already been done before you got the vehicle

When carrying out a parameter reset you are linking the BEM to PCM and will proceed with the first key that is used ie. 1 key

This may fix your problem or you may have something else causing your problem

Did you program your new remotes yet

with the full licence you can do more than what shows up and as mentioned previously ^above quote^ you will only need the one key for the reset as mentioned [it's actually in the BEM Pats Programming section], so refer pic [it's from my BA]

when you go into that section you can either do the full Pats programming [using 2 working keys] OR do a reset where you can/do only use the one key. the other parts of it are help & exit.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #176
WagonJunkie

Just wondering if the OP ever found a smoking gun with this?
WagonJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2022, 09:04 PM   #177
WagonJunkie

Anyone know if FF got this sorted?

My AUIII Ute has mysteriously gone into smartshield vault/lock-out/****-off-not-starting mode. No clues yet. Was running fine, and then over the course of one day it got harder to start and then smartshield threw the toys out.

I was hoping this excellent thread was heading to a conclusion...?
Old 02-09-2022, 11:26 PM   #178
asimplelife
Donating Member2

His last post ever was the one in this thread...it sounds like he gave up.
Because no one has answered you yet, I'll tell you what I would do in your position, but I don't know much, and someone who knows more might still help.

You need a device with forscan software with an extended licence and a working OBD adapter (am pretty sure all that is detailed earlier here if you need that).
I prefer a windows laptop and a USB OBD adapter. Less potential issues.
Then you need 2 working keys and hopefully they are originals.
If one or both are clones, they may still work, depending on the type of clone (again there is info earlier in this thread on how to work around 1 working key with foil).

Then I would follow the prompts in forscan to do the key reset.
If your ECU and BEM are ok, this should resolve your problem.
As I understand it the ECU/BEM can just lose it's programming and this will fix that (although I have not had this problem - but I have swapped ECU's before - which causes the same effect - and this process does work).

If the process completes but your problem still exists, then it is likely to be a faulty ECU or BEM.
If you've just got a standard 6 cyl ute then you can probably pick up both from a wreck for $50.
If you have an XR/V8 then you might have to search harder for the ECU. Ebay is usually good still. But I believe it must be a ute ecu.
I think all S2 & S3 BEM's are pink and the the same? If they don't come as a pair.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:23 AM   #179
WagonJunkie

Thanks for your reply asimplelife.

I ran a scan on it the other day, but i was short on time. It sent back 3 codes. One was faulty coolant temp signal to the IC, one was PCM Communication fault (might be the clue)... and one was something else.
I listed them in the FORScan forum with more detail.
One cleared & didn't return, but the coolant & PCM dtc's persisted & smartshield did not surrender.
Anyway, I won't be back home 'till next month so it's on hold for now....
And I have both the original keys with transponders too.
Was hoping Mr Furious found the issue... very similar to my problem methinks. Maybe i can round out the thread next month.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #180
asimplelife
Donating Member2

As a seemingly perpetual AU beginner, I am probably only 1 step ahead of you, having done a job in this area once, but in theory I should be able to give you the pointers you need when you are ready.
I won't go into detail on anything now, as I am just going from memory, and I think it's all been included already in this thread. But if not, and you get stuck, then ask again then.

Forscan is what you need but those functions are not where you solve this problem.
You need to install the extra licence/functions (this doesn't cost much and may be free for a short time) to get the PATS reset.

What has happened to you is likely you have lost the hand shake between Keypad and BEM/BCM (maybe the PCM/ECU/ECM is involved but that is not really relevant yet).
Your problem may or may not mean you have a faulty component.
But you will know that after you complete the process, if the problem has been resolved or not.

If you still have a problem then it will most likely be a faulty BEM.
And for series 2 and 3 6cyl I believe they all use the same pink one?
You also use PATS to make the new BEM talk to the existing PCM as well as the keys.