Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Shannons auction - 2005 Mustang

Hello all,

I need some help with this seeing as I'm heading into unchartered territory and don't want to be burnt financially.

Next week at a Shannons auction there is a yellow mustang that has caught my eye down in Melbourne.

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...266437ENV055C/

Looks nice, have asked a few questions on the phone but they seemed to want to not give out specifics, so I have been sending some emails.

I'm a little concerned that it isn't registered. They have said it was properly converted and ADR complied.

By email they have also confirmed that the previous owner has lost all the paperwork on the car. (this is the part that has got me worried).

They have sent me through the following images:

The red one looks like something to do with compliance?

Can someone please share their thoughts? Why does that red plate look like it's been digitally modified? That white section with the VIN looks way too unblemished compared to the rest of it?

These pictures have come from Shannons auction representatives.

I have emailed for specific details of the modifications from their point of view as an insurer - I'm yet to receive a reply.

Cheers,

Jason

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 08:11 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Shannons auction - 2005 Mustang

You can identify and contact the workshop (Crossover Car Conversions, PIN 10001) who did the conversion, I think the white panel has been accentuated by the camera - possibly in portrait mode by mistake. They are in Ferntree Gully and are current in trading.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #3
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely Shannons are responsible for guaranteeing clear title and free of finance or other encumbrances
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Surely Shannons are responsible for guaranteeing clear title and free of finance or other encumbrances
The T&C's of the auction seem to make the onus on the buyer to check.

I emailed that exact question and they confirmed that it's checked but then mentioned if it was never registered it may not appear:

"To protect he Buyer and the seller Shannons does a PPSR on every vehicle to make sure that it is not encumbered. If the ppsr has a record and shows that there are funds owing this is discussed with the owner and sorted out pre auction. Please keep in mind sometimes for some reason some vehicle do not show up on the ppsr reports ( many reasons - eg never been registered) ."

The km of the car do not reflect its age. I'm wondering if it was ever registered after RHD conversion, and if not why? If it were registered it would have been a selling point??

The person then said if I have more questions to call them. No, they were wishy washy on the phone the last time and talk means nothing after the fact.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
You can identify and contact the workshop (Crossover Car Conversions, PIN 10001) who did the conversion, I think the white panel has been accentuated by the camera - possibly in portrait mode by mistake. They are in Ferntree Gully and are current in trading.
True, I was going to do that. But really the conversion was done some 10 years ago. Perhaps they will ask for some $$ to re-issue paperwork?

And if that was the case, why didn't the vendor arrange it themselves??

Something doesn't sit right with this car.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If you are mistrustful already, let it go. It won’t get better.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 09:00 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
If you are mistrustful already, let it go. It won’t get better.
I was stupid enough to call Shannons to try and get an insurance quote...

That call lasted over an hour.

The gist of the disagreement was they refused to quote until I purchased...

They tried to impress me with their legalese that a quote is a legally binding contract that must be honoured.

What a joke....

The ONLY variable was the purchase price.. I was told that without a fixed price it was against their T&C's to quote.

Kept giving me examples of all the things that could go wrong if they dared give me a estimate based on a realistic purchase price.

After a while I asked for a supervisor... after 10 minutes waiting on hold I was told I can get an anonymous quote.

That took 25 minutes. Because after each question I was reminded how this discussion isn't binding...

I needed 2 Panadol after that conversation...

If her name wasn't Karen it should have been...

Over 1 bloody hr....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Old 03-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #8
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id be concerned also if there was no evidence of being registered. If it wasnt, its a little odd that somebody would go to the trouble and expense of converting it and getting it approved, then letting it sit as a collector car... but that can happen. Of course the flip side is there was some kind of issue in registering it, so it never happened. Possibilities you have to think about and clearly have.

The red plate is basically the Australian compliance plate, it is required on cars like this if they are to be registered. Looks legit enough, but you can never know unless followed up.

The fact that the conversion place is still trading as already mentioned is a bonus though, many from back in the day are not... I have a Camaro that is in that situation... but I knew it was registered in the past (I was given the NSW rego papers, expired for couple years) , and everything matched the cars numbers and the plate added here, so I wasnt worried about it.

Finding if the conversion is legit should be much easier for you than if it was done at a place no longer operating. I guess you just have to contact them and find out.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2021, 09:23 PM   #9
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I was stupid enough to call Shannons to try and get an insurance quote...

That call lasted over an hour.

The gist of the disagreement was they refused to quote until I purchased...

They tried to impress me with their legalese that a quote is a legally binding contract that must be honoured.

What a joke....

The ONLY variable was the purchase price.. I was told that without a fixed price it was against their T&C's to quote.

Kept giving me examples of all the things that could go wrong if they dared give me a estimate based on a realistic purchase price.

After a while I asked for a supervisor... after 10 minutes waiting on hold I was told I can get an anonymous quote.

That took 25 minutes. Because after each question I was reminded how this discussion isn't binding...

I needed 2 Panadol after that conversation...

If her name wasn't Karen it should have been...

Over 1 bloody hr....

I did a bit of looking around, and that VIN shows up to be currently registered in Victoria, until 22/1/2022. The rego number is BKW483 (VIC).

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 09:25 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
I did a bit of looking around, and that VIN shows up to be currently registered in Victoria, until 22/1/2022. The rego number is BKW483 (VIC).
The plot thickens... what the hell is going on?? Can it be another car??

No paperwork, advertised as unregistered yet its registered??

Old 03-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #11
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it could well be simply just registered and they are selling it without plates as its easier to just pull them, its a requirement in Vic even if you dont want to do the transfer paper route etc.

Not cool that Shannons (and perhaps the seller) are being all cagey about it.. because if they could just show you that car is indeed BKW 483, show you they had a vic rego paper in their possession, Id lean towards it being all above board. But given what you have (havent) been told, again id have concerns.

Youd think they would do all they could to legitimise the vehicle, and if it is currently registered why hide it. Strange indeed.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:02 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I understand they can't really quote without a purchase price (assuming this is agreed value) surely if you gave them a price roughly around what you would be willing to pay then the premium can't be more than that if it goes less?

It shouldn't take an hour plus of them ****ing you around though, that's ridiculous that they couldn't just suggest that. I have done heaps of online quotes without purchasing the car by putting in a ballpark figure.

In any case the factory RHD Mustangs are not that expensive so maybe just wait a bit for one of them.

Sure they won't be anything special but you won't have to worry about any of this BS.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2021, 11:02 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wouldn't buy any conversion cars, unless it was done by an outfit like HSV/Walkinshaw or the old Tickford Mustangs.

Seen too many ****ing bodgy disasters from second stage manufacturers, cut on shut on wiring looms that cause problems etc.

Then there's the issue with the replacement parts, good luck trying to find replacement parts for a conversion car.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #14
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Wouldn't buy any conversion cars, unless it was done by an outfit like HSV/Walkinshaw or the old Tickford Mustangs.

Seen too many ****ing bodgy disasters from second stage manufacturers, cut on shut on wiring looms that cause problems etc.

Then there's the issue with the replacement parts, good luck trying to find replacement parts for a conversion car.
Agree it can be hit and miss, some are reasonable, but some are terrible.

Im less afraid as I can weld and wire , and was a dealership tech that worked on euro stuff ... but you make a good point that people should approach with caution.

Most of the time you cant see how things have been done until you have a chance to inspect things really closely, including up on a lift.. and under the dash also.

At least the mob who did this 'stang in question are still around, perhaps a sign that they do a decent job. So many from the 90s and 00's have dropped off the face of the earth.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 11:45 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love my Fords but I wouldn’t pay $10k for that letlone the $30-$40k estimate.
BA/BF GT would crap all over that and be a much better long term investment.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2021, 11:48 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Agree it can be hit and miss, some are reasonable, but some are terrible.

Im less afraid as I can weld and wire , and was a dealership tech that worked on euro stuff ... but you make a good point that people should approach with caution.

Most of the time you cant see how things have been done until you have a chance to inspect things really closely, including up on a lift.. and under the dash also.

At least the mob who did this 'stang in question are still around, perhaps a sign that they do a decent job. So many from the 90s and 00's have dropped off the face of the earth.
There's a couple still around which churn out shonky **** on the regular

Think cut and shut wiper linkages to suit RHD geometry, electrical and mechanical cables and the like, things made bespoke on a per car basis rather than as a production line item and all the variances that brings 10+ years down the track.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:05 AM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how much having Walkinshaw doing RHD conversions cut the local converters grass

I suppose if you want a special Mustang or F truck it makes no difference though since you can't get them any other way.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 12:13 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I wonder how much having Walkinshaw doing RHD conversions cut the local converters grass

I suppose if you want a special Mustang or F truck it makes no difference though since you can't get them any other way.
For someone like Performax International they'd be a huge threat, but they branched out to all other American utes though not just the couple that Walkinshaw do.

VDC only does Ford stuff.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:03 AM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
While I understand they can't really quote without a purchase price (assuming this is agreed value) surely if you gave them a price roughly around what you would be willing to pay then the premium can't be more than that if it goes less?

It shouldn't take an hour plus of them ****ing you around though, that's ridiculous that they couldn't just suggest that. I have done heaps of online quotes without purchasing the car by putting in a ballpark figure.

In any case the factory RHD Mustangs are not that expensive so maybe just wait a bit for one of them.

Sure they won't be anything special but you won't have to worry about any of this BS.
Looking back, the person either has no grasp of common sense or is a mindless robot reading a script that can't be deviated from.

I have another car insured with Shannons for several years and I was close to asking them to just cancel my other policy if providing a quote is just way too hard for another car with them.

Some pearlers from the conversation:

"Quotes are legally binding documents and MUST be 100% accurate and we are legally liable to cover ANY car we quote".

"You can simply bid on the car, then if you win ask the auctioneer to allow you time to seek clarification on the insurance premium - only once we know the value can we legally provide a quote. If you don't like the quote just simply pull out of the sale - happens all the time when people change their mind".

"Any person that is asking what insurance costs on a car as a deciding factor when buying perhaps shouldn't be buying that car.. don't you think?"

"There are dozens of variables that go into an insurance policy and you must know all of them, if you don't then you are practically conducting fraud for providing false information".

And when I reminded her the ONLY variable was the price..

"The purchase price is the MOST IMPORTANT variable when it comes to insurance.. say you give us the wrong price and you take out a policy and you have an accident then you have misled us as your insurance may be void.. that's why I simply can't provide you a quote".

"We will need evidence that you can handle such a car - have you owned or driven a car like this in the past? That answer will have a great bearing on if we can provide you cover".

When finally getting permission to get an anonymous quote I mentioned that the car will be parked in an under ground secure resident parking area in my own closed off garage.

"So, you say that it's parked in an apartment building - most are open space parking right? Oh, its closed off" But other people can access it right? - it's only closed off at the street right? Oh - you have an individual garage? Who else can access it? Is it open from the sides? Oh, you have a garage - does it have a door, like a roller door or something or is it open? you said the parking is secure but you didn't specify if you have a garage? Oh, you do, that's quite rare, are you sure? Garaging has a GREAT EMPHASIS of our decision to insure you and I will remind you that by providing false information may generate now a different outcome later on".

Can you imagine 30 questions having that sort of banter?

The person loved the sound of their own voice, constantly spoke over me, constantly interrupted me and just cut me off to explain the legalities of everything I said without allowing me to finish anything I was saying.

Actually... I'm tempted to make a formal complaint - it really shouldn't be that hard to give a quote for a car they themselves are selling and to keep an existing customer happy.

As for the more recent RHD cars - I take your point but they are a little too 'mainstream' for me to be honest.

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 04-06-2021 at 01:28 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2021, 01:07 AM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
I love my Fords but I wouldn’t pay $10k for that letlone the $30-$40k estimate.
BA/BF GT would crap all over that and be a much better long term investment.
Yes, but I just like the look of it, and it's the right colour.

Would happily pay $30-$40k as it is a little different.

Not really interested in the long term investment side of things.

2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #21
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
The plot thickens... what the hell is going on?? Can it be another car??

No paperwork, advertised as unregistered yet its registered??

Appears to match to this vehicle:

Registration check
Results for BKW483 as at 04/06/2021 08:01 AEST
Registration number:
BKW483
Registration status & expiry date:
Current - 22/01/2022
Vehicle:
2005 YELLOW FORD COUPE

VIN/Chassis:
1ZVHT82H865148868

Engine number:
Registration serial number:
Compliance plate date:
10/2009

Sanction(s) applicable:
None
Goods carrying vehicle:
No
Transfer in dispute:
No

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #22
Pis-ton broke
Banned

has a history search been done?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
has a history search been done?
Not yet, but will do it if I decide to go ahead.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #24
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crossover conversions are now Mustang Australia im sure, Good reputation they may have more detail for you.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #25
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

When you register it in NSW, will they need an ADR or similar compliance cert for the conversion?
After just reading this thread thought Gee who can be bothered.. Then clicked on the link for the car.. Its rather nice and different to the newer stangs so would be def worth it!
Old 04-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #26
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
When you register it in NSW, will they need an ADR or similar compliance cert for the conversion?
Isn't that the purpose of the red compliance plate ? This plate was fitted by the company that carried out the conversion, presumedly AFTER it was converted to RHD. Also an engineering certificate would have been issued at the time.

The plate seems to have all the info for full ADR compliance for all states in Australia. I don't believe that a LHD Mustang of that age would gain ADR compliance.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #27
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Appears to match to this vehicle:

Registration check
Results for BKW483 as at 04/06/2021 08:01 AEST
Registration number:
BKW483
Registration status & expiry date:
Current - 22/01/2022
Vehicle:
2005 YELLOW FORD COUPE

VIN/Chassis:
1ZVHT82H865148868

Engine number:
Registration serial number:
Compliance plate date:
10/2009

Sanction(s) applicable:
None
Goods carrying vehicle:
No
Transfer in dispute:
No
There is something odd about this proposed sale by Shannon's that needs to be cleared up with them. Otherwise it looks ok.

Both the above members appear to have determined this car is actually STILL registered in Victoria up to 22/1/2022. So why are Shannon's saying its being sold unregistered ? , ie could it have been a club registration that is null and void on resale ?

YF a call to Shannons advising you have details that the car is still registered etc so why are you guys advising it will be sold unregistered would be in order as the add also says its located in Melbourne.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 03:42 PM   #28
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
, ie could it have been a club registration that is null and void on resale ?
Doesn't look to be club rego as it wouldn't have that number plate range for club rego?

Might just be the standard "sold unregistered" spill
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #29
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Isn't that the purpose of the red compliance plate ? This plate was fitted by the company that carried out the conversion, presumedly AFTER it was converted to RHD. Also an engineering certificate would have been issued at the time.

The plate seems to have all the info for full ADR compliance for all states in Australia. I don't believe that a LHD Mustang of that age would gain ADR compliance.

Dr Terry
That's what I was thinking seeing as the date on the red plate matches the rego information.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare ss View Post
Doesn't look to be club rego as it wouldn't have that number plate range for club rego?

Might just be the standard "sold unregistered" spill
Too new for club rego??