Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
msford

Default Front passenger door actuator part number question

Hi

My front passenger door hasn't opened automatically for ages I am trying to save maybe $600 by buying a part second hand as I can't justify the full Ford price.

The part from Ford that I've been quoted has a part number 8M2AR21813CB (this is also visible on the photo of the part) and it goes for $683 but I've found a second hand one on eBay for only $66 but its part number is 8M2AR21813CA. Both are listed as for the left front door lock. The difference is the final letter, "B" at Ford vs "A" on eBay (smash repair dealer located in AU).

I've got a 2011 MC Titanium TDCI but the eBay part says it came from a 2010 2.0 petrol 107kW.

Any way of finding out if the parts are identical and I can safely use it?

Thanks in advance
msford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #2
alfamale87
Starter Motor

Default Re: Front passenger door actuator part number question

I have had a quick look they look like the same part even when comparing to UK parts.
Probably worth the $60 risk in my opinion wouldn't this be essential to be operating for passing a rego inspection?

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
alfamale87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamale87 View Post
I have had a quick look they look like the same part even when comparing to UK parts.
Probably worth the $60 risk in my opinion wouldn't this be essential to be operating for passing a rego inspection?

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
In Vic, no annual rego check; just pay the renewal. I know; seems crazy. I grew up in NSW and had to get one done every year, except since the new vehicle exemption came in. I can only imagine the condition of some people's vehicles on the road. Lol.

I've tried finding manuals online with parts numbers and couldn't find any. Like you, to my eye they look the same but I'm not mechanically-minded so, who knows, there may be a different connector or cable somewhere.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The final letter change will be a design revision.

Have you seen Fleabay item 264977193839? $60 free post.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The final letter change will be a design revision.

Have you seen Fleabay item 264977193839? $60 free post.
Thanks for that. Just checked it out now. Looks the same as the other one, has the A on the end. And I have no choice as it looks like the other one has been bought as I can't find it available now.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #6
mourati

Correct - as per Citroënbender last comment the letter "B" is just a revision for the part ending in "A" - will be the same part basically and you have nothing to worry about. I had a similar experience but it was the rear door. $800 from the stealer dealership vs $70 from a wrecker.
mourati is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #7
msford

Thanks, mourati. Good to know.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
msford

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered that part via eBay and it's on its way.

I know it's not the same issue but my cruise control has also carked it, which is a serious inconvenience for me as I drive to NSW (when permitted) 8-10 hours each way several times a year and I missed not having the cruise control on the last journey.

Ford have quoted me $665 for the part and fitting.

You wouldn't believe it but that same seller on eBay has this item for sale

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254808244956

Dare I try my luck and save another $600? I assume that listing has all the parts I would need? I've already read up on other threads about the contacts issue and have tried various fixes including spraying contact cleaner in the little holes on the side but no luck, unfortunately.

My only question would be who would I get to fit it because it is way beyond my capabilities? Would anyone have a recommendation in the Melbourne area?

Thanks again
Old 11-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #9
mourati

I have a guy I go to and he's based in Craigieburn
Manny has a heap of Mondeo's on his front lawn and knows these cars inside out.
I buy all my parts from him now and he offers installation too and super competitive prices. Your air bag needs to come off before cruise switches. If you did not buy them off flea bay he has them too!!!
I wouldn't recommend playing with your air bag unless you know what you're doing.
Sing out if you need his number?
mourati is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2021, 05:58 PM   #10
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourati View Post
I have a guy I go to and he's based in Craigieburn
Manny has a heap of Mondeo's on his front lawn and knows these cars inside out.
I buy all my parts from him now and he offers installation too and super competitive prices. Your air bag needs to come off before cruise switches. If you did not buy them off flea bay he has them too!!!
I wouldn't recommend playing with your air bag unless you know what you're doing.
Sing out if you need his number?
Thanks so much for the recommendation. Sounds perfect. I've sent you a PM.

Cheers
Old 18-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #11
msford

Just in case anyone comes across this thread about the actuator part numbers I thought I'd correct a misunderstanding in relation to the part number and the correct part required for a Titanium.

The part I sourced on eBay was from an MA Mondeo, though it is compatible with the MB and MC. However, not for the Titanium because the Titanium version of the actuator has an extra motor for the keyless entry feature. Mondeos without keyless entry do not have the extra motor thus it is a different part.

Thus if you have the same issue as me and you have a Titanium then you need to source the Titanium version of the door actuator, not the standard one, as I did.

I was fortunate in that the mechanic I went to (whom I was referred to by member mourati and I am glad to recommend; just PM me) is a Mondeo genius and was able to fix it for me without having to buy another actuator.

Thanks again to mourati for the referral as it saved me over $1000 and now I have both my front passenger door keyless entry and cruise control working for about 20% of the full retail cost.

Cheers
Old 18-06-2021, 10:41 PM   #12
Mondaveo

Thanks so much for coming back to update us on the outcome, especially that gotcha about the different mechanism required for keyless entry.

As it happens I've also got a 2011 Titanium with a front passenger door that doesn't unlock properly. In my case however, this is due to a slapdash repair done by my insurer following a fender bender a few years ago. They replaced the door skin and transferred the internals over from my original door, but ever since, the unlocking mechanism hasn't worked reliably - you can see the button doesn't come all the way up, and the door lock intermittently 'sticks' and remains engaged when the car is unlocked. But as it's a guaranteed repair, it will be up to the repairer to sort it out for me, when I do get around to taking the car back to them (once the current round of travel and appointments are done)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post