Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Super Capacitor Jump Starters

These are really starting to push into the market now. The pluses I read are: Light weight, quick replenishment and significant service life.

I haven’t used one, where I moonlight we usually just grab a new large battery off the rack. Has anyone here put one of these through its paces - like maybe on an industrial or remote site? What about the claims of sub-30 minute recharges and up to 10K starts?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #2
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Super Capacitor Jump Starters

I've got a little Gooloo 1200A I keep in my toolbag.. jump I've used it about 10 times over the last 12 months on mine and other peoples cars, works great, cost $119 only ever charged it once!

Jump started a dead patrol no worries, not sure on how good the big units work but I'm sure they're just as good, I think the days of every workshop having a battery cart for jump starting trucks and machine days are numbered
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
These are really starting to push into the market now. The pluses I read are: Light weight, quick replenishment and significant service life.

I haven’t used one, where I moonlight we usually just grab a new large battery off the rack. Has anyone here put one of these through its paces - like maybe on an industrial or remote site? What about the claims of sub-30 minute recharges and up to 10K starts?
It really does sound over the top eh, I wonder if it cuts ya nails and even combs ya hair too!
The marketers know full well it will never be used if ever more than once or twice in its life, I mean how many cars did you jump start on the side of the road this week? 5?...10 maybe?...how about none, and 10,000 recharges?..

Give me a break, my names Billy not Silly, lol...hahaha

Cheers Come In Spinner King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
It really does sound over the top eh, I wonder if it cuts ya nails and even combs ya hair too!
The marketers know full well it will never be used if ever more than once or twice in its life, I mean how many cars did you jump start on the side of the road this week? 5?...10 maybe?...how about none, and 10,000 recharges?..

Give me a break, my names Billy not Silly, lol...hahaha

Cheers Come In Spinner King Billy
Not much chop at jump starting a 14ltr diesel starting system of a Cummins.
In fact I couldn't even get one to jump start one of my little trucks even though it said it could. maybe a new breed of them have improved ??
There is however a supercapacitor battery system I remember a truck forum member raving about in the US. Not quite the same system.
I'll look for the thread.

EDIT found it Maxwell was the brand.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threa...cement.195121/

Last edited by roKWiz; 18-06-2021 at 11:59 AM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

Must admit I was bit sceptical about these little jump start packs at first but have been privy to see a few people using these devices and most certainly impressed for what they are, have thought about buying one at times but I do carry a set of jumper leads.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm calling bull**** - Ive destroyed precisely five of those lithium ion jump packs.

Admittedly two were on a Kenworth though to prove a point to the sales rep, apparently it could start large agricultural equipment, it turned the starter very slowly over quarter of a turn and then it was dead

Both times, rep was convinced that the first time it may not have been charged fully so I gave him another opportunity for me destroy the second one.

I've killed three just jump starting cars, they work for something which still has enough to turn over just a little too slow to fire, but if it's further gone those lithium ion jump packs are junk

Nothing beats big *** jumper leads and a bunch of batteries on a trolley or another car with a good battery - jumper leads with minimum 35mm2 worth of copper or 70mm2 when you start getting serious.

Happy to test out the super capacitor variation, haven't used one yet.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-06-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm calling bull**** - Ive destroyed precisely five of those lithium ion jump packs.

Admittedly two were on a Kenworth though to prove a point to the sales rep, apparently it could start large agricultural equipment, it turned the starter very slowly over quarter of a turn and then it was dead

Both times, rep was convinced that the first time it may not have been charged fully so I gave him another opportunity for me destroy the second one.

I've killed three just jump starting cars, they work for something which still has enough to turn over just a little too slow to fire, but if it's further gone those lithium ion jump packs are junk

Nothing beats big *** jumper leads and a bunch of batteries on a trolley or another car with a good battery - jumper leads with minimum 35mm2 worth of copper or 70mm2 when you start getting serious.

Won't work with a 24V start 12V system. Yeah big a*** truck and farm batteries and heavy gauge jumper leads for me.

Old 18-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*swearing
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 01:12 AM   #9
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I've got one of gooloo li-ion jumper packs to use in minor emergencies away from home. I still have a big lead acid jump pack and jumper leads of course, but those little jumpers aren't for dead batteries jump starting. They're for when the engine turns over but doesn't fire, or the starter turns and doesn't engage. There's no replacement for displacement - They're for when you left the radio on when sleeping in car after a major bash at a friends, or left the lights on for a few hours at the shops. IE Things you do when not at home for example and just need a helping hand to crank the engine. If you truly **** your **** at up at home or work then there's going to be better equipment at hand!
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 01:21 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post

*swearing
Contains lithium polymer pack.

Had I known that I would have had more fun with mine
Old 19-06-2021, 03:50 AM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son bought one of those LiPo units, paid over $100 for it. Useless pos, and now doesn't work at all.

When new, fully charged, it could help start a 4 cylinder that had a good battery but was just struggling to turn-over.

The most obvious problem, is that you're simply NEVER going to get serious current through those ****y little wires. That's basic physics, and it doesn't change.

Using a Capacitor to start an engine is an old idea. It never took on because in older cars, the capacitor couldn't sustain the current for an extended crank.
Then when modern electronics allowed for faster starts, the capacitors had the unfortunate problem of frying them.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

I feel like people missed the super capacitor part...

I think the OP is referring to these types
https://transquip.com.au/products/sp...p-starter.html
Old 19-06-2021, 11:41 AM   #13
slowsnake
Banned

We should go way back to the days they started trucks with a blank 12g shotgun cartridge, I watched a guy do it back in the 70's.
I think it was a Diamond Rio or Ford Blitz, not sure now?
But there was a device attached to the engine that was placed to discharge straight onto the flywheel!
Just put cartridge in and lock in place, and hit striking pin with a 4lb lump hammer!

Pretty cheap way to start an engine.

Cheers Technical King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I feel like people missed the super capacitor part...

I think the OP is referring to these types
https://transquip.com.au/products/sp...p-starter.html
Wires going to the jumper clips are still nice and tiny
Old 19-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Wires going to the jumper clips are still nice and tiny
and 700A for 3 seconds. wow.

Old 19-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
We should go way back to the days they started trucks with a blank 12g shotgun cartridge, I watched a guy do it back in the 70's.
I think it was a Diamond Rio or Ford Blitz, not sure now?
But there was a device attached to the engine that was placed to discharge straight onto the flywheel!
Just put cartridge in and lock in place, and hit striking pin with a 4lb lump hammer!

Pretty cheap way to start an engine.

Cheers Technical King Billy
Saw an old tractor on YouTube being started in the same way.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 05:08 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
My son bought one of those LiPo units, paid over $100 for it. Useless pos, and now doesn't work at all.

When new, fully charged, it could help start a 4 cylinder that had a good battery but was just struggling to turn-over.

The most obvious problem, is that you're simply NEVER going to get serious current through those ****y little wires. That's basic physics, and it doesn't change.

Using a Capacitor to start an engine is an old idea. It never took on because in older cars, the capacitor couldn't sustain the current for an extended crank.
Then when modern electronics allowed for faster starts, the capacitors had the unfortunate problem of frying them.
The same thing happened at work, one of our company cars was flat and no one could figure out how to start it, a friendly truck driver had one of those lithium ion jump packs and it wouldn't get the car to turn over, so they sent me out on a 100km round trip to check it out.

Took work Colorado, took my jumper leads, jump started flat company car, fired up

Appreciated the 100km round trip though, got me out of the office where I got to listen to music cruising around Melbourne's freeway network
Old 19-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #18
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

We have a couple of these https://www.repco.com.au/en/globes-b...09a/p/A5359356

and one similar to this:
https://cometbattery.com.au/wp-conte...-Starter-A.jpg

There all described as "Ultra Capacitor Jump Starters".

So far they have worked every time we have tried them on everything including the Falcons my son's Hi-Lux Diesel. You have to be patient in letting the residual charge in the battery sufficient time to fully charge up the capacitors. But they probably have each only be used twice or less.

If they did fail I also have this https://www.repco.com.au/en/globes-b...00a/p/A9436576

But it's considerable weight makes it less convenient than the ultra cap jump starters and not some you can easily keep in you car like the ultra cap jobbies. But I also use it as a ECU memory saver when I have to change car batteries or do similar things. I also need to buy a small trolly for it though as it's just barely portable.

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-06-2021 at 05:57 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #19
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

I tried to start a 4 cyl diesel Triton.but alas no go.Borrowed a set of jumper leads to jump start and away we go.Emailed the company asking why,if this thing was rated to 600AH,wouldn’t start the little diesel.Sadly 2 years later,still waiting for an answer
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I had a Powercon LV1995 (I bought one after destroying two for the sales rep )

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...-jump-starters

Was recalled, it did work fairly well on my Caprice though, it reckons it could start up to 13L engines, but I proved it bull****
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I had a Powercon LV1995 (I bought one after destroying two for the sales rep )

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...-jump-starters
That is lithium battery powered not ultra cap powered as are the two You Tube videos. The Ultra Caps one use the residual charge in the battery to charge up the super capacitors that then can give a sufficient one time jolt of volts to start the car; the contain no batteries. Most can also charge up the caps from a USB source if the one off jolt of volt fails.

These are the more relevant You Tube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnOZHgRC_90 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMfo4mk3eIw

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-06-2021 at 06:07 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
That lithium battery powered not ultra cap powered.
Yes, I am quite aware of that

If anyone wants me to destroy their ultra cap jump starter, feel free to contact me
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #23
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Saw an old tractor on YouTube being started in the same way.

Yep a Field marshall..99.99% certain they use Blanks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb0-br7hTw0
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
If anyone wants me to destroy their ultra cap jump starter, feel free to contact me
I am sure you can, but I will pass thanks.
Old 19-06-2021, 06:38 PM   #25
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

I like your style of words but as said nothing beats jumper leads.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post