Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
BJMXR

Default Remove Traction Control?

Hey all...

Im a bit over traction control spoiling my fun... particularly in second gear where it seems to be more noticeable than 1st. What i need to know is how easy is it to turn traction control off, and is it worth it from your experience... what should i expect?

Its a 2000 AUII XR8 by the way...

Cheers...

If you live in usa check this website: Cvs weekly ad.
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

If you have it there should be a button on the dash to turn it off. You will know its off when the orange light shaped like a wheel doing a burnout comes on.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
parawolf
beep beep

You could also be experiencing torque truncation enforced by the ECU. I believe (could be way wrong) that Chiptorque are looking at a J3 plugin chip to remove/reduce this as it is a common problem with the AUII/AUIII XR8's.
Old 15-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
BJMXR

Im sure its the traction control... you can feel it gradually reduce the power and not wheel spin. And my model AUII dosen't have the button on the dash... i think they took it off for this model.

Essentially im convinced its the traction control... someone mentioned to me that i may be able to remove a fuse or the connection to the mechanism that controls it?
Old 15-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMXR
Im sure its the traction control... you can feel it gradually reduce the power and not wheel spin. And my model AUII dosen't have the button on the dash... i think they took it off for this model.

Essentially im convinced its the traction control... someone mentioned to me that i may be able to remove a fuse or the connection to the mechanism that controls it?
If you dont' have the button on the dash to turn off traction control, then you don't have it at all. Put money if power is being reduced its torque truncation.
Old 15-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I know only Fairmont Ghia's and Fairlane/LTD's (possibly Fairmonts and T-series too) got Traction control.. XR's werent avaliable with it.
Old 15-08-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Traction control doesnt gradually reduce power on the AU's, it just shuts it all down in a hurry.
As parawolf said, if you dont have the button, you dont have TC. All AU XR's have the spot in the dash for the light (mine does) but not too many were fitted with it. I'm betting its auto related however I dont know if its torque truncation or simply your auto overheating which can have a similar effect.

Old 15-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
BJMXR

Its a manual... so the Auto auto overheating cant be it... excuse my slighly limited knowledge, but what is Torque Truncation?

I was sure that this model simply didn't have the option to turn it off at the dash but still had traction control as a feature... hmmm... for example the new BA XR utes have traction control, but not the button on the dash...
Old 15-08-2005, 10:48 AM   #9
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Its a manual... so the Auto auto overheating cant be it... excuse my slighly limited knowledge, but what is Torque Truncation?
Torque Truncation is where the ECU retards timing to protect the drivetrain. This reduces power output fairly linearly and calmly. However if you are really getting stuck into it, it can retard quite heavily and it will feel like you car is being flooded with petrol and then it will pick up again.

I recall back with the AU's you could either get LSD or Traction Control. Since the XR8's get an LSD by default you couldn't get traction control.

Quote:
I was sure that this model simply didn't have the option to turn it off at the dash but still had traction control as a feature... hmmm... for example the new BA XR utes have traction control, but not the button on the dash...
BA XR utes definately do NOT have traction control. I know my partner has one.
Old 15-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #10
AU3XR

None of the AU series XRs came with TC. I would also like to know what torque truncation is?????
I wish I had a problem with wheelspin on my 220.......
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Before everyone gets carried away with the menace of torque truncation, remember:
Its rare, only occurs in some circumstances and is inconsistant. It's like a "blame all" ghost these days. There are only a few recorded instances of it effecting V8s although it can be assumed it is effecting all to a small degree. The greatest effect seems to come with changing diff gears. There is no known and proven effects on I6 cars at all.
Also, the effect is inconsistant. There is no rhyme or reason to the amount of power it pulls out... or how. Therefore it cant be "tracked" in its effects very easily.

Before everone starts jumping on the TT bandwagon, its a fair chance the the vast majority of issues "blamed" on it have nothing to do with it.

"torque reduction, the issue that became a legend that became an excuse"

Old 15-08-2005, 11:23 AM   #12
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Before everone starts jumping on the TT bandwagon, its a fair chance the the vast majority of issues "blamed" on it have nothing to do with it.

"torque reduction, the issue that became a legend that became an excuse"
Its the excuse for the moment

One small degree of timing for power, one giant degree of timing for torque _
Old 15-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #13
buickman
buickman

I give TT the thumbs up on wet days. Happy with it & have not had any real issues only on bumpy dirt roads & I turn the TT off.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
smithmr5
matty

so does any one know if in can be switched off in a auto III xr6?
smithmr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #15
Cheahman
BOSS 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmr5
so does any one know if in can be switched off in a auto III xr6?
None of the XRs in the AUs had traction control.
Cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #16
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

None of the AU XR's had traction control. The only AU's that had traction control were the Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane Ghia, LTD, T1 TE50 (with optional automatic), T1 TS50, T1 TL50, T2 TE50 (with automatic), T2 TS50 (with automatic) T2 TL50 and the T3 TL50. Traction control was only available as switchable on/off, so if you do not have the switch on your dash you do not have traction control.

If you do have traction control fitted, you'd know about it. When it cuts in the engine sounds like it has had half the number of spark plug leads pulled out. Because this is exactly what it does, it cuts the ignition to cylinders gradually untill control is regained. You feel it, and you hear it.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #17
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
None of the AU XR's had traction control. The only AU's that had traction control were the Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane Ghia, LTD, T1 TE50 (with optional automatic), T1 TS50, T1 TL50, T2 TE50 (with automatic), T2 TS50 (with automatic) T2 TL50 and the T3 TL50. Traction control was only available as switchable on/off, so if you do not have the switch on your dash you do not have traction control.

If you do have traction control fitted, you'd know about it. When it cuts in the engine sounds like it has had half the number of spark plug leads pulled out. Because this is exactly what it does, it cuts the ignition to cylinders gradually untill control is regained. You feel it, and you hear it.
My non-ghia AUII Fairmont has TC I love it. Also when it activates a light on the dash blinks to let you know.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
My non-ghia AUII Fairmont has TC I love it. Also when it activates a light on the dash blinks to let you know.
my car has it. and yeah, its a weird feeling :
Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #19
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

You don't have traction control and its unlikely to be torque limiting in the ecu affecting it in second more than first, look elsewhere for the problem and see if you can clarify exactly what the problem is.

And yes Traction control became standard on all Fairmonts from AUII on.

It is switchable so its not a problem
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #20
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

This symptom sounds like fuel starvation.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #21
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
This symptom sounds like fuel starvation.
This sounds more likely to me too. good pick up
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #22
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Can TT be fitted? I mean isn't it just a reading taken from each ABS sensor and then compared with the speed of each wheel (from the ABS sensor on each wheel) and some computer calcs done etc...

Therefore, would it just be some sort of computer to be hooked up? Or something enabled in the ECU?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #23
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Quote:

That would be the clutch letting go. do a test by calder launching, ride out first gear really hard and fast then snap second and if it doesnt chirp then is your clutch....but thats my way of doing it.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #24
Cam
Stroking it...

Why the hell would you want traction control, i just disconnected mine. I mean hell, if i can afford to fuel up my daily driver (AUII GHIA 347) to get to work then i can afford some wheelspin here and there :P
In the wet it is interesting, but the mixture of good tyres and just being cautious means i dont end up with wheelspin everywhere, unless i hit the loud pedal, heh
D/c it did kill ABS too obviously, that god for nice big ap racing brakes, lol. And to date i havn't locked up.

My 2 Cents anyway
Cam
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #25
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
That would be the clutch letting go. do a test by calder launching, ride out first gear really hard and fast then snap second and if it doesnt chirp then is your clutch....but thats my way of doing it.
He said it's losing power, not revving its ring off & going nowhere which is what you get with a slipping clutch.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #26
macxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ASFAIK, all XR's come with the same ABS module as they higher spec ones, thus have T/C wiring in them. I wrecked an AUII XR6 and it had all the wiring there for T/C.
macxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #27
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxr8
ASFAIK, all XR's come with the same ABS module as they higher spec ones, thus have T/C wiring in them. I wrecked an AUII XR6 and it had all the wiring there for T/C.
Nope, your wrong. The XR's had a 3 channel ABS module. The high series had a 4 channel ABS module. You cannot have T/C without a 4 channel module so fitting an XR with T/C is going to be very time consuming, for little gain.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I give TT the thumbs up on wet days. Happy with it & have not had any real issues only on bumpy dirt roads & I turn the TT off.

buickman
i`m with you buickman wet weather would be nice ,i took me old mum out today for mothers day, i hit a slippery spot on the ring road accelerating moderatley and the xr stepped sideways, very surprising given the throttle opening, traction control yes thanks.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 05:42 AM   #29
macxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
Nope, your wrong. The XR's had a 3 channel ABS module. The high series had a 4 channel ABS module. You cannot have T/C without a 4 channel module so fitting an XR with T/C is going to be very time consuming, for little gain.

Then why did this XR have all the wiring in place for the traction control? AUII 5 speed? VCT and IRS. Maybe the higher end spec stuff had it.
macxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 02:44 PM   #30
mark2002
Starter Motor

Default Re: Remove Traction Control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Why the hell would you want traction control, i just disconnected mine. I mean hell, if i can afford to fuel up my daily driver (AUII GHIA 347) to get to work then i can afford some wheelspin here and there :P
In the wet it is interesting, but the mixture of good tyres and just being cautious means i dont end up with wheelspin everywhere, unless i hit the loud pedal, heh
D/c it did kill ABS too obviously, that god for nice big ap racing brakes, lol. And to date i havn't locked up.

My 2 Cents anyway
Cam
How did you disconnect it? Permanently, I am having lsd fitted so don’t need it any longer

Thanks
mark2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post