Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Day-mow
rexnet

Default is Nulon engine oil any good

hey guys. just wondered what your thoughts where on nulon engine oil. alot of ppl rave about their coolant. wondered if it was similar story for engine oil

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
sleeper393

YEAH i used it once , but went back to penrite
http://www.getprice.com.au/images/up.../350_14912.jpg
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's all I use now. Did wonders in the camry when I had it, so stuck with it.

Camry had 5S-FE, notorious for sludge. When I got it, oil came out black and was black again almost straight away after the first change. A few runs with fully synth 5W30 (for diesel and petrol) and it got cleaner every change.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

I have used it and it seems to stay cleaner then others.
JK EX CHASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I gained about 30-40km in range when I initially switched but then on my second use of it my sump mysteriously emptied itself over about 7000km so I went back to Penrite.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
DW260

I put it in last oil change and the morotr hasn't seized, so I've no complaints.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Been using the full syth in mine since new no complaints

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've switched to 100% synthetic nulon from penrite semi-sin it seems to stay alot cleaner but could that mean it's not cleaning as much ?? Otherwise it's been good i've had no probs.
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I like the Nulon my engines have always stayed together and run well...full synthetic 15w/50..
New one will also get Nulon after 7500 klm..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

gotta be better than bloody penrite
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
stoodoo
Falcon R.I.P. 1960 - 2016

i've been using Nulon 100% Synthetic 10W-40 Hi-Tech Fast Flowing Engine Oil for some time now. I was previously using penrite HPR 10 and HPR gas 10 semi synth oil. I've found the Nulon keeps the noise of those pesky lifters down somewhat, compared with the Penrite stuff. It also comes in a six litre pack which gives a full filter change as well as a bit extra if you need it. It is also pretty reasonably priced.

Cheers
stoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I sue the Nulon stuff or Penrite - whichever is on sale at the time I need it.

Anyone used Calibre oil from Supercheap? (made by Caltex - my suspicion is that it's just Magnatec repackaged and $10 cheaper).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #13
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's wrong with penrite? I generally use the fully synth 5w40 and it runs great
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
sbcb
BA Xr8

The big oil debate is always interesting. Hard to find solid independent data. My sister inlaw married a bright fella in the UK who works for an engineering company contracted to CAT. He will actually lead a design team which is tasked with improving engine performance for CAT. I thought I'd ask for his highly knowledgable input and was surprised when he said they didn't care at all about different brands when testing. Only the viscosity against the environment temperature. He said he used magnatech in his own cars (Audi) and thought it was good but called BS on the cold engine sticking technology they advertise. Thought that was funny, someone that designs and performance tests engines didn't care about different brands.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Been using the full syth in mine since new no complaints
I did the first 10k with mineral oil, for bedding in purposes, then swapped to 15/50 Nulon full synthetic ever since.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #16
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
What's wrong with penrite?
this:
Quote:
Nulon keeps the noise of those pesky lifters down somewhat, compared with the Penrite stuff.
I've found in several applications that penrite increases lifter noise. Not to mention they have completely bizarre viscosity ratings. Virtually 0 are good for an I6 for QLD - 5w40 is too thin on startup, 10w50 is too thick operating and too thin on startup, and 15w60 is way, way too thick operating. 15w40 (which they don't make!) is juuust right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Anyone used Calibre oil from Supercheap? (made by Caltex - my suspicion is that it's just Magnatec repackaged and $10 cheaper).
Not magnatec mate, magnatec is a Castrol line. Caltex make Havoline - I suspect it's just that. The calibre brand in supercheap gives a very good impression of being super dodgy - until you look and see who makes it, and realise they are nearly all good big name brands.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah calibre oil is made by caltex which is different from castrol
there are some new synthetics that they have
i mainly use them for flushing

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
this:
5w40 is too thin on startup
thin is good for startup. less pressure, more flow.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #19
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i use 20w 50 in my car, penrite every day driving stuff, been using it for a long time and was a pretty good oil,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Not magnatec mate, magnatec is a Castrol line. Caltex make Havoline - I suspect it's just that. The calibre brand in supercheap gives a very good impression of being super dodgy - until you look and see who makes it, and realise they are nearly all good big name brands.
Cheers - Castrol/Caltex - starts with the same letter!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`ve used the nulon myself it seems ok, at the moment useing penrite, can`t recall the viscosity, it seems ok , my mate uses the penrite always has, he reckons it feels more powerfull , i would`nt mind giving royal purple a go , it seems to get a good write up.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #22
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

didnt royal purple have an issue with false advertising recently?
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #23
Veefore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcb
The big oil debate is always interesting. Hard to find solid independent data. My sister inlaw married a bright fella in the UK who works for an engineering company contracted to CAT. He will actually lead a design team which is tasked with improving engine performance for CAT. I thought I'd ask for his highly knowledgable input and was surprised when he said they didn't care at all about different brands when testing. Only the viscosity against the environment temperature. He said he used magnatech in his own cars (Audi) and thought it was good but called BS on the cold engine sticking technology they advertise. Thought that was funny, someone that designs and performance tests engines didn't care about different brands.
I saw a test out of the US on 70 taxi's that all started with newly rebuilt motors that gave the same conclusion. Get the right API rating and correct viscosity for your temperature range and it doesn't matter which brand you use.
Veefore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
Mr Hardware

I'd believe that
that's why I can't understand why penrite would come out with all kinds of whacko viscositys that don't match up to industry standards. Just marketing gimmicks.
Old 13-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Nulon is good stuff, especially for the Ford 6's. My old EL loved it, actually the XR8 liked it too.

It's also a 100% Australian company, owned and made here so that has to be a good thing.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
didnt royal purple have an issue with false advertising recently?
did they .......bugger
Old 13-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #27
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I use 10w30 nulon in my XR8. Havent looked back since.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #28
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

For what it is worth Penrite for the last 5 or so years years is different to the Penrite of old, the company was sold and that is when things changed .
Here is a old post about oils from RussW worth a look if you haven't seen it before
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=333
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #29
EV1LXR8

im running 20/50 valvoline im loosing oil pressure when in my s1 xr8 am i using the wrong oil and should i change to a 10/40 or something? i allmost loose all oiul pressure when i pull up at lights after i have hit running temp?
EV1LXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
For what it is worth Penrite for the last 5 or so years years is different to the Penrite of old, the company was sold and that is when things changed .
Here is a old post about oils from RussW worth a look if you haven't seen it before
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=333
interesting link Whoosh, a good percentage of those oils were pretty average really, i wonder if todays royal purple synthetic is still up to standard, i took notice of my last oil container penrite semi synthetic 5/40 also looked a bit average in those tests, i`ll give the full synthetic a go next change.