Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Windsor Mondeo
Starter Motor

Default 75000 km service

Hi Guys

I hit the 75000kms with my Mondeo this week and went in for its service. Thought a new thread would be worth starting.

Major issue for me was the replacement of front brakes (left and right) and had to replace the front right brake disc rotar ($750 in total).

Noticed the car really appreciated this service. Car has been serviced every 15000km religiously and at the same place.

Total cost of service including brakes, wiper blades (again), and wheel balance and rotation - around $1000.

Would be interested to hear anyone else's story.

Old 16-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Katoomba

Thanks for the report.

When you say 'replacement of front brakes (left and right)' I guess you mean brake pads?

I'm surprised a disc rotor had to be replaced at 75,000. Could that be considered normal wear and tear or a case for a warranty repair?

I always get nervous as I'm approaching a service about how much it's going to cost.
Old 17-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Re replacing disk rotors, heard a story that BMW rotors are 'consumables' and replaced every 40K kms. Also, look at the price of Falcon replacement discs - I was suprised by how comparatively cheap to other parts. In contrast, my 2003 Outback still has original rotors at 150K kms, with only one machined lightly for scoring when new pads fitted. Never had a 'full' service cost anytwhere near $1000 - maybe towards half that !!!
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Katoomba

My 2000 Laser with around 260,00kms still has the original disk rotors too. That's why I querying replacement of the Mondeo at just 75,000kms.

"BMW rotors are 'consumables'"

Another reason, among many, why I'd never, ever own a BMW.
Old 18-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

My LR ford Focus 1.8 went through a full set of discs and pads after just 40,000kms, They were completely shot.

And Im not overly hard on brakes.

I was quite shocked to see this as my previous falcons never even looked like a wearing out rotors before 100,000kms. So shocked I pretty much called my service department liars when they told me they had to replace all brakes at just 40,000kms, which I later apologised after seeing the parts.

My mondeo has 45,000 on it now, and I think I'll get to minimum 70,000 before I need to make a change.

Hopefully EBC, DBA or RDA make a replacement rotor soon, they should last much longer than factory items. Aftermarket brake pads are currently available through mintex and EBC that I know of.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Sounds like they are a pretty soft disc with a hard compound pad.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
warren77

I agree with LR - I think I will be going after market when my rotors go.
My main reason to go after market is hopefully they will shed less brake dust! Assuming that I have the car that long.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
Windsor Mondeo
Starter Motor

In relation to the brake rotars I was told by my mate at Ford that the Euro brake pads are softer than the Australian ones. Saying this the brakes deteriated only in the last 15000Kms. I did have the other brake pads changed in the 60000km service.
I asked the question about warranty and it was considered part of normal wear and tear. I must admit I did see alot more brake dust around the front wheels in the last 15000kms but still shocked as the 60000km report said I still have 50% left of the front brakes and no indication of issue with a brake rotar.

For me end of the day it is a company car and Ford is a client of mine so I will use a Ford Service everytime thus cost does become a second thought when the business pays for it.
Old 19-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I guess it's the way of the world these days. Build in obsolescence to ensure that there are replacements. I doubt mine will see 75K by the end of its lease (Jan 11), so I'm not too concerned about it. City driving must speed the replacement up too.
The amount of brake dust is pretty amazing. My old man is always having a go at me about the state of the front wheels, but I clean them and soon it's back.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i had me focus i had to replace discs and pads at around 35,000km!
mac_man_luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
Zippy7

Thats quite disappointing to hear the rotors being replaced so early, but then it's not a massive surprise. My previous car was a VW Passat v6 sedan which had to get both its front and rear rotors replaced before 60,000kms. I do not consider myself a hard driver on the car (I'm relatively fuel-economy aware), and the missus drives it most of the time, and she's pretty light footed most of the time.

I presume they replaced both front rotors as well as pads. Your post seems to indicate they only changed the front right rotor? (implying they did not change the front left)

Just wondering if your Zetec is a sedan or hatch.
Old 19-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
Windsor Mondeo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7
Thats quite disappointing to hear the rotors being replaced so early, but then it's not a massive surprise. My previous car was a VW Passat v6 sedan which had to get both its front and rear rotors replaced before 60,000kms. I do not consider myself a hard driver on the car (I'm relatively fuel-economy aware), and the missus drives it most of the time, and she's pretty light footed most of the time.

I presume they replaced both front rotors as well as pads. Your post seems to indicate they only changed the front right rotor? (implying they did not change the front left)

Just wondering if your Zetec is a sedan or hatch.
Only replaced front right rotar but both front pads. It is a hatch (gives me more room in the boot than the sedan) - since the change of pads I am very suprised to see NO BRAKE DUST. Brake Pads built for Australian Conditions dont really leave the dust as the Euro designed ones do.
Old 19-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
Bit surprised only one rotor was worn sufficiently to warrant replacement. Seems to me that there was something different between the sides, either harder pads on the right or a soft rotor on the right.

But don't get too excited about less pad dust. Braking involves wear and that means either pads or rotors or both, if there is little pad dust then it just might be the rotors are now wearing faster than used to be the case.

I think I'd prefer more rapid pad wear and more frequent wheel cleaning than vice versa on the simple basis that pads usually are less expensive than rotors.

Did the invoice provide a cost for a rotor?

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
Windsor Mondeo
Starter Motor

Yes it did but cant remember as the invoice is with the accounts dept at work. I think it was around $400.
Old 20-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well if your memory is correct some one knows how to make money in a hurry.

When I refurbished the front brakes on my 2004 TX last may I researched some costs for rotors and found a guy on eBay, out of Benalla, I recall, who would provide a pair of after market rotors and heavy duty pads for around the $150 mark. Can't make any comment about quality, since I ended up skimming the existing rotors and fitting a set of Bendix pads that cost me $60.

I was at a ford dealership today getting the courtesy service on the recently acquired Mondeo and while I was waiting for our car a guy came in to pick up his Territory, 2006 TS model I think, he was handed a bill gfor $1708, which included some rear brake work and suspension bushes. They would have some serious explanations to give me for a bill that high. Our TX's biggest bill has been $480 at a dealership and that included a exchange of both coolant and brake fluid.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #16
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Euro ford parts in australia are expensive. Its just how it is. I've had three euro fords now and its been the same with all of them.

Go here and import your own and get ford to install. These guys have good service.
http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/c/brake_components_463/
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post