Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2019, 01:18 AM   #31
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: Uber Melbourne flying taxis by 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
There is a reason why big companies Google, Amazon, apple and car makers etc are trying to build autonomous cars, it's a trillion dollar industry.

Amazon and Space X are fighting it out for space now.
I'd rather see a man/woman/team on Mars before flying cars.

ooooh, that rhymes. (copyright marty351)
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #32
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Melbourne doesn't even have a TRAIN to the airport yet....
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #33
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
On a serious note, this is what is wrong with the Corporate World as it currently works.

Uber had a great idea, they pioneered ride-sharing on a large scale, got a huge job on the competition and should have parleyed that into an immensely profitable sustainable business. But the drive is to keep growing at an explosive rate, and once markets become established the only way to do that is to expand by diversifying. Which is great if there are legitimate opportunities available. But instead they are squandering billions on crap like autonomous cars, and this BS.
And the drive to fund this from their core business means they are being undercut by their competitors.

The autonomous cars are what will make the Uber business model profitable - article I linked had 50+% of business income gone in wages iirc. If they can liberate that, they are quite profitable.
Old 17-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #34
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The number of Uber-marked vehicles I see breaching road rules - most commonly disregarding "No Stopping" signs - makes me hope that an autonomous fleet might be an improvement for other road users too.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #35
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are no road rules anymore! The burden of road rules got shifted onto the poor kids doing 120 logged hours for Ps, while anyone else can come on all sorts of licences and drive any way they like!

As an example, one of our son's friends here for his masters, reckons the 12 points are a challenge and if you haven't used through them all you aren't living!
Old 18-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #36
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Here's a great recent article on them Dazz:

https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2...f-destruction/
I would disagree with some of their points, but essentially yes.
There is a disconnect between the Business, and the Corporate. The latter being overinflated by massive investment, overhyped, and with an (unfortunately all too common) model of chasing inflated share prices based on constant growth and acquisition.

Be interesting to see if the ride-share business survives once the corporate parent collapses.
Or more likely it will go through one of those corporate mergers, where everybody comes out claiming to be a winner, after writing off $20B.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #37
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
The autonomous cars are what will make the Uber business model profitable - article I linked had 50+% of business income gone in wages iirc. If they can liberate that, they are quite profitable.
That's probably salaries paid to their executives and developers.

Not sure how an autonomous car would be cheaper than Sandeep and his 5yr old Corolla, working for about $3 an hour after fuel costs.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #38
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Don't forget the lawyers, court cases and bribes to Pollies.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post