Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Leyland Force 7V Auction July 14th.

Burns & Co Bayswater, Melbourne Auction 14th July is brimmed full of quality and fortunate enough to be offering a super rare Leyland Force 7...here’s a little introduction to this outstanding opportunity.

This Force 7V was one of the ten, (out of a rumored 56 near complete vehicles), that survived the crusher when Leyland Australia ceased Manufacturing.

*At the time of auction in 1975, it was the only known registered vehicle to survive. It is also alleged to be the only 100% complete vehicle at the time with the addition of a "B" pillar stiffening plate.

*It was registered as Leyland Australia's engineering and product development vehicle (original registration number HBR 278). Senior engineer Kjell Eriksen used it as his company car for evaluation purposes. At time of auction it had approx. 11,300 kms on the speedo.

* Being a development and evaluation vehicle, it had been fitted with most of the options for that era, power steering, air conditioning, AM radio with electric aerial as well as dual exhausts. It is alleged to be the only known Force 7V to have been fully optioned with all these items and the only one to have been fitted with dual exhausts.

* It was purchased from the auction in 1975 by Warren Wright who owned Con Wire Cables that provided choke and throttle cables to Leyland Australia and B.M.C.

* The current owner purchased the vehicle from Mr. Wright's estate in September 1990, making him the third owner including Leyland.

* The vehicle remains in original unrestored condition with only tyres, mufflers, rear shocks and brake master cylinder being the major items replaced. The engine remains untouched barring the usual servicing procedures (oils, filters, fluids etc) and has only traveled 28,714 kms at the time of writing. The original Uniroyal tyres are in storage and will go with the car if sold.

* The vehicle has full company documentation including log books with service history, company car pass to the Product development/ engineering/ model evaluation department, company letter outlining instructions to the driver in the event he/she gets questioned by authorities, a form to complete in case of an accident as well as a driver observation note pad.

* The vehicle has been fully road registered since being purchased by the current owner, with the registration only recently expiring on the 13- 05-2019.

General details

* The Force 7V was the first totally designed, engineered and built hatchback in Australia. (The Morris Nomad was also a hatch built here before the Force 7 but was not designed and engineered here, so there will always be a debate over which one was first).

* The Force 7 shares only the windscreen with its P-76 cousin as far as exterior panels are concerned. It was a completely re tooled vehicle which was slightly shorter than the P 76 also. The interior on the surviving pre* production/evaluation models were derived from the Super (mid-range model) in the P 76 range.

* All ten Force 7V vehicles survive today with 8 in Australia (6 privately owned and 2 in museums), one in New Zealand and one in Greece. It.is believed that only 5 of the survivors are in original, unrestored condition. With two of them in museums, obtaining an untouched original example is becoming near impossible

Last edited by csv8; 12-08-2019 at 11:26 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Leyland Force 7V Auction July 14th.

I wonder how they would have sold in comparison to the P76.
They were at the production ready stage but never got the final green light from management to begin, given the backlog of P76's that were made, but not selling.

CyberWasp is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when I worked at Les Vagg Holden during school holidays. It was 1973 and I used to walk from Beecroft to Pennant Hills.

I saw a black Force 7 driving along Pennant Hills Road, most likely a prototype. I recognised it from magazine articles but those days were a long time from phone cameras! Haha!

It stood out as it was quite modern looking at the time.
Old 23-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

never got their true marketing potential ....parity. I seem to remember something about a conspiracy and blockade by the major 2 manufacturers
Old 23-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
[/URL]
GM and Ford were at the high point of 2-door style about that time. That Leyland coupe would have stood no chance.

FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #6
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I'm not sure if it was stated in Survivor Car mag or not but the owner was chasing around $750K for it. Will be interesting to see what happens. I'm thinking that it more than likely won't make reserve.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's an interesting part of our Motoring History, but some things are rare for a reason, and belong in the "freaks" section of the museum.

I remember my brother buying a P76 in the 70's, because you could get a near new one for next to nothing. It was a piece of Junk.
I remember he sold it for $112.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #8
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Burns & Co Bayswater, Melbourne Auction 14th July i........

General details

* The Force 7V was the first totally designed, engineered and built hatchback in Australia. (The Morris Nomad was also a hatch built here before the Force 7 but was not designed and engineered here, so there will always be a debate over which one was first).
Hi. Maybe that honour could go to some of the 400 odd aussie made bolwell MK7's that were made in the late 60's. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
I'm not sure if it was stated in Survivor Car mag or not but the owner was chasing around $750K for it. Will be interesting to see what happens. I'm thinking that it more than likely won't make reserve.
There is a very low milage P76 with 12,000 km's currently on car sales - asking $12,000. Force 7V @ $750,000 "tell him he is dreaming..."
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Maybe that honour could go to some of the 400 odd aussie made bolwell MK7's that were made in the late 60's. Cheers MD
I don't believe that the rear of the Mk7 had an opening hatch. I think it was just a fully enclosed coupe.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #11
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I don't believe that the rear of the Mk7 had an opening hatch. I think it was just a fully enclosed coupe.

Dr Terry
Hi. That was the reason I said "some of" as I remember one from my early days in the trade having been fitted with a "custom" hatch by its prior owner. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
PhilT2

Someone here in Brisbane bought a few of these when Leyland shut down; I think it was the owner of the Pineapple pub in the gabba. I think he had a used car yard beside the pub. He managed to sneak one in and get it registered but got got busted for it and told that he wouldn't be allowed to renew it. None of them had ADR approval apparently.
PhilT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
* The Force 7V was the first totally designed, engineered and built hatchback in Australia.
But isn't this somewhat irrelevant, given it never made it into Production?

The Torana GTR-X was developed around 1970, but never made it into production.
Then there was a hatchback version of the LH.
I imagine the first into production was the UC Torana.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 11:49 PM   #14
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
But isn't this somewhat irrelevant, given it never made it into Production?

The Torana GTR-X was developed around 1970, but never made it into production.
Then there was a hatchback version of the LH.
I imagine the first into production was the UC Torana.
LX was first 2 door Torana Hatchback
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post