Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
josem

Default Is Focus bumper ABS or polypropylene? What Glue to use ?

Hi, My car is a 2011 ford focus. I have a very small chip to my front bumper. No holes, just need to connect 2 vertical pieces together. This are part of the semi flexible molded plastic bumper and not the rigid plastic part you find on the grille. I went to bunnings and most of the super glues and araldite have warnings that you cannot use it for most plastics like PTFE, polyethylene and polypropylene. I am guessing that the bumper bars of newer cars are now polypropylene (PP). Anyone out there have any experience in gluing small broken parts in their plastic bumpers together I want to hear your experience. I don't need any backing material as it is not a hole. Thanks everyone in advance.

josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is Focus bumper ABS or polypropylene? What Glue to use ?

the official way is to "weld" them by heating but it needs the correct temp. I have had no luck with glue
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
josem

Thanks marg99 for your reply. The smash repairer did say the proper remedy is to plastic weld it but he is charging me $700 for it. It is almost the price for a new bumper plus labor to put it on.
I noticed that the bumper plastic material behind the paint is coloured white. Most ABS plastic is black. It might be ordinary white plastic. I might try a small portion with super glue.
josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

You could try roughing up the surface on the underside of the bar and using a fibreglass repair kit, there's not much it won't stick to and by using the fibre cloth it will give it extra strength as well, might be worth a try first considering the price of the options. I would also recommend trying to find an independent plastic welder / repairer, $700 to repair a crack seems a bit steep but I suppose that would probably involve repairing and respraying so it's probably about right
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post