Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2024, 03:35 PM   #61
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian fuel efficiency standards aimed at cutting petrol bills, 'catching up' with US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Yep, and Mike Hudema. What’s their financial gain pushing these proposed measures, as nothing these lot do is without financial benefit.

This bodes very poorly for Ford, with 80% (approximately) of their sales in Australia being Ranger and Everest. I wonder how long Ford US decide to pull the plug on Australia’s market.

The government want to push the citizenry to drive the cheap, dangerous junk coming out of China (think BYD).

Interesting times ahead. About people got off their backsides and told their local MP’s they don’t support a measure forced in such a short time frame.
Aren't the diesel utes exempted/on a different emissions scheme?
Old 07-02-2024, 05:52 PM   #62
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Australian fuel efficiency standards aimed at cutting petrol bills, 'catching up' with US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Aren't the diesel utes exempted/on a different emissions scheme?
The "new" Euro 6A, which is already a decade old, comes into play in 2025 with a grace period till 2028 which will affect diesel utes as well.

This new fleet emissions will also apply as an added incentive to clean up emissions.

Quicker we get brands to **** off junk diesels with numerous components that fail (DPF, EGR, overpriced injectors running 30,000 PSI, etc) the better.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2024, 11:50 AM   #63
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought that VW were only trying to improve the fuel economy of that product that they got caught with, that was deemed so toxic and numbers came up of how many people would die from such pollution ? but they got fined !
Not to mention i believe it still passed the standards set for the year before the new standards ?

But then again here in Aus people love to go and block off the EGR with no regard at all.

I come across many old and even new diesel 4X4's that stink and blow smoke. that i shut off the fresh air, even sitting at the red lights, they stink !

Not all Diesel's stink, some smell fine, more like Kero smell burning clean as !
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2024, 11:54 AM   #64
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
I thought that VW were only trying to improve the fuel economy of that product that they got caught with, that was deemed so toxic and numbers came up of how many people would die from such pollution ? but they got fined !

Not to mention i believe it still passed the standards set for the year before the new standards ?

But then again here in Aus people love to go and block off the EGR with no regard at all.

I come across many old and even new diesel 4X4's that stink and blow smoke. that i shut off the fresh air, even sitting at the red lights, they stink !

Not all Diesel's stink, some smell fine, more like Kero smell burning clean as !
DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) delete is the most common thing they do. That's when you see them pumping out the black smoke out the back. I usually report them to the EPA
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2024, 03:10 PM   #65
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
in many cases owner has simply cranked up the pressure on the old mechanical fuel pumps to try and get more performance. Unfortunately, without increasing airflow, all this does is chuck smoke out of the back as the car runs rich.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2024, 01:52 PM   #66
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Germany - Compared to December 2023, sales of new electric vehicles were down 54.9 percent, while sales of plug-in hybrids were down 19.6 percent in the first month of 2024. On the other hand, the markets for vehicles with internal combustion engines were up more than 9 percent — +9.1 percent for gas, +9.5 percent for diesel.

No incentives anymore , could that be the sole reason ?
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2024, 02:35 PM   #67
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Interesting statistic, do you think it augurs a trend?

In terms of “catching up to the US” we seem to not be slowing in our love for landfill waste.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 02:38 PM   #68
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Exactly. 1 month is hardly a trend.
Old 12-02-2024, 02:41 PM   #69
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its still a trend
Old 12-02-2024, 02:43 PM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

In terms of “catching up to the US” we seem to not be slowing in our love for landfill waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
Exactly. 1 month is hardly a trend.

As said above, Germany ending cash incentives for buyers of BEVs, so yeah
there could be a lot more to this now that prices paid have increased.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 02:47 PM   #71
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Aligns with Germany ending cash incentives for buyers of BEVs, so yeah there could be a lot more to this….
When the US dropped their subsidies, manufacturers dropped their price too. Manufacturers who came to market with a proper strategy and not being dependant on subsidies to make their cars affordable will be fine.
Old 12-02-2024, 03:24 PM   #72
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
As said above, Germany ending cash incentives for buyers of BEVs, so yeah
there could be a lot more to this now that prices paid have increased.
There's been a shift too, US middle class consumer is showing resistance and EVs stacking up on the lots, we've got news like Polestar being valued at zero, for some reason channels like TFL are showing drawbacks like with their zero temperature tests, Ford, GM and VW are backpedalling to hybrid, masses of EVs in lots in China, Tesla is lowering prices, energy and rare earths miners are being keelhauled, it's a different mass-psychology at present.
Old 12-02-2024, 03:26 PM   #73
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Volvo will suffer ... go woke go broke
Old 12-02-2024, 03:28 PM   #74
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
Volvo will suffer ... go woke go broke
They won't. Polestar is redundant given they're using the same Volvo platforms. Polestar's problems aren't Volvo's

EX90 will do very well for them as well as the EX60.
Old 12-02-2024, 03:31 PM   #75
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I can't tell where this will end - will the legislative driven changeover occur and the technology future will continue to be inevitable, or will countries back down from globalisation into self interest and abandon the targets, using the sovereign energy they have domestically which for a lot of them is still oil and gas? Could all the negative press be opinion-influencing, or could it actually reflect the real-life reality many people are experiencing?

Fascinating times.

If you are concerned about the CO2, the sheer amount of new coal plants going in in the northern hemisphere will cook the goose anyway, it's an enormous amount of CO2, truly stupendous compared to historical amounts, enjoy each day you can.
Old 12-02-2024, 03:34 PM   #76
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Germany - Compared to December 2023,
why do people keep comparing anything to December sales? It's never a typical month for anything.

Edit

EV sales were dropping in Germany for months before this
Old 12-02-2024, 03:35 PM   #77
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
why do people keep comparing anything to December sales? It's never a typical month for anything.
It's convenient when you have an agenda
Old 12-02-2024, 03:42 PM   #78
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the comparison they are making is not about Dec figures alone, its how they relate to the rebates ending vs Sales for the same period and how the trend is leaning without an agenda.
Old 12-02-2024, 03:55 PM   #79
real time

Quote:
I think the comparison they are making is not about Dec figures alone, its how they relate to the rebates ending vs Sales for the same period and how the trend is leaning without an agenda.
Maybe ppl are starting to realise all that glitters is not gold
real time is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 06:34 PM   #80
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Harry's Garage - Harry breaks down why he has gone from EV to PHEV and back to diesel in co$$$t terms, and then takes a look at the market and depreciation over there at present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZysvgm2_Aw
Old 12-02-2024, 06:40 PM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) delete is the most common thing they do. That's when you see them pumping out the black smoke out the back. I usually report them to the EPA
Its ironic, I was following my own truck, which is a pre-emissions mechanically injected 8.3L diesel engine, and the only time it blew smoke was a tiny puff on gear changes,

The thing has 300,000km on the clock, is over 25 years old, has no electronics and its cleaner out the exhaust black smoke wise than a diesel Territory.

Or maybe its just because the hole is bigger so it disperses the smoke better
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 07:07 PM   #82
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even when new, the calibration on the diesel terry was embarassing :(

I don't know if it was launched as Eu3 or 4, but regardless the internal requirement was for 'no visible smoke'
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2024, 07:09 PM   #83
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Its ironic, I was following my own truck, which is a pre-emissions mechanically injected 8.3L diesel engine, and the only time it blew smoke was a tiny puff on gear changes…
So, you’re saying it vapes rather than smokes?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 07:21 PM   #84
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Harry's Garage - Harry breaks down why he has gone from EV to PHEV and back to diesel in co$$$t terms, and then takes a look at the market and depreciation over there at present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZysvgm2_Aw
Why do we keep quoting UK and US people for their questionable motivated videos to be some kind of gospel.

Literally everyone I know who has gone EV hasn't looked back. There will always be outliers and those looking for clicks.

If the video said why "I'm never going to back to a ICE" vs "why I'm ditching my EV", which would get more clicks?

That video was just an Ad for Range Rover.

Last edited by kypez; 12-02-2024 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2024, 07:30 PM   #85
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
even when new, the calibration on the diesel terry was embarassing :(

I don't know if it was launched as Eu3 or 4, but regardless the internal requirement was for 'no visible smoke'
Must have been Stevie Wonder who signed off on it then because those things chaff like nobodies business when you get on the throttle

Quote:
So, you’re saying it vapes rather than smokes?
Its going to look like the 2019/2020 bushfires out the exhaust when I'm driving it, don't worry.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 07:55 PM   #86
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Why do we keep quoting UK and US people for their questionable motivated videos to be some kind of gospel.

Literally everyone I know who has gone EV hasn't looked back. There will always be outliers and those looking for clicks.

If the video said why "I'm never going to back to a ICE" vs "why I'm ditching my EV", which would get more clicks?

That video was just an Ad for Range Rover.
It actually included a discussion on how the EV market and used market is going there, tried to explain private buyer reluctance, noted the influence of depreciation and insurance on used prices, noted the view of the trade on used EVs - and then at the end posted suggestions on how to overcome this and increase EV takeup.

It concluded to do this similar efficiency standards would be needed as done before by legislation on diesel and petrol, these efficiency standards being standardised electricity consumption data (it noted Tesla as most efficient); and it pointed out legislation and business claims have led to the development of many expensive, performance EVs which are different to the simple, smaller and affordable a private used market wants - hence not many bids, hence horror depreciation.

One other good point was that in future, for the trade and wholesalers/used dealers to be happy to take EVs as stock, displaying their battery health using a standardised method, clearly on the vehicles at the yard will be a prerequisite to overcome used buyer reluctance.

There was a lot more to it than the new, diesel RRS.
Old 12-02-2024, 08:08 PM   #87
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
It actually included a discussion on how the EV market and used market is going there, tried to explain private buyer reluctance, noted the influence of depreciation and insurance on used prices, noted the view of the trade on used EVs - and then at the end posted suggestions on how to overcome this and increase EV takeup.

It concluded to do this similar efficiency standards would be needed as done before by legislation on diesel and petrol, these efficiency standards being standardised electricity consumption data (it noted Tesla as most efficient); and it pointed out legislation and business claims have led to the development of many expensive, performance EVs which are different to the simple, smaller and affordable a private used market wants - hence not many bids, hence horror depreciation.

One other good point was that in future, for the trade and wholesalers/used dealers to be happy to take EVs as stock, displaying their battery health using a standardised method, clearly on the vehicles at the yard will be a prerequisite to overcome used buyer reluctance.

There was a lot more to it than the new, diesel RRS.
But in Australia, EV resale (on anything except the i Pace) is great. That we don't have conditions that make EVs drop range and have huge amounts of solar (at home too) to power them.

The resale of my EVs are still very strong locally. There is no reluctance of private buyers. The only ones reluctant and those who either don't understand technology, don't buy new or don't want things to change. Anyone with even a modestly open view to the world will see they have their place and are great at what transport issues they address.

UK have a problem in that most of the insurance companies have been found to be bank rolled by big oil and are pushing EV premiums up to get people out of them. We don't have that issue here.

I agree with him that you'd be crazy to buy the EV Range Rover at the premium they want. You'd also be crazy to entertain that the iPace was a good idea and buying any Range Rover is a good decision given how poor their reliability is.

Euros problems aren't ours.

Misinformation is why people hesitate. First it was they last only 50,000 kms. When I hit that they said, wait till you get to 100,000. Then it was 150,000...
Old 12-02-2024, 08:23 PM   #88
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"The significant growth in new electric vehicle (EV) sales has seen the values of used EVs plummet in many countries around the world, including Australia.

Here, resale values of EVs declined by more 21 per cent in the 12 months to January 2024 – meaning a used EV depreciates more than its internal combustion engine (ICE) equivalent."

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...xperts-144507/

That's 3 days ago, Australian media.

Interesting to raise insurance-oil links, that would be worth investigating. I think if used prices are falling heaps the insurance companies would want to protect themselves at any rate.

In Harry's video, at 13:30ish there was a mention of Bjorn Nyland (iirc) who has kept records of different brands of EV and how their batteries deteriorate - again, Tesla does well. That was useful to see, too.
Old 12-02-2024, 08:37 PM   #89
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm just stockpilin' AUs!

Last edited by ozpacman; 12-02-2024 at 08:54 PM.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 08:54 PM   #90
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
"The significant growth in new electric vehicle (EV) sales has seen the values of used EVs plummet in many countries around the world, including Australia.

Here, resale values of EVs declined by more 21 per cent in the 12 months to January 2024 – meaning a used EV depreciates more than its internal combustion engine (ICE) equivalent."

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...xperts-144507/

That's 3 days ago, Australian media.

Interesting to raise insurance-oil links, that would be worth investigating. I think if used prices are falling heaps the insurance companies would want to protect themselves at any rate.

In Harry's video, at 13:30ish there was a mention of Bjorn Nyland (iirc) who has kept records of different brands of EV and how their batteries deteriorate - again, Tesla does well. That was useful to see, too.
Again. Australian media will follow the hype. Yes, resale has fallen as supply has increased. People were flipping Raptors and Rav4's for $10k profits as were people with EVs. That is gone. That doesn't mean it's fallen rather than the inflated market has been restored.