Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation QLD Mobile Phone $1k Fine from Feb 1. Also includes passengers.

'And it’s not just novice drivers who can get in trouble thanks to the actions of their passengers. Depending on the circumstances, any driver can be fined if a passenger is using a phone in a way that distracts them.

“Using a mobile phone in a manner distracting the driver will affect the driver’s proper control of their vehicle. A passenger can be fined up to $2,669 ($170 on the spot),” Ms Gao said.

The Queensland Road Rules say a driver “must not use a mobile phone that the driver is holding … while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked”. Picture AAP/ David Clark
The Queensland Road Rules say a driver “must not use a mobile phone that the driver is holding … while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked”. Picture AAP/ David Clark
“If a passenger holds a mobile phone with a visual display while the vehicle is moving, and the image on the screen is visible to the driver from the normal driving position or is likely to distract another driver, the driver must not drive. Otherwise, the driver can be fined up to $2,669 ($400 on the spot).”

Exceptions apply if the phone is used as a navigational aid." https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...fa257409cb852d
Old 31-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Re: QLD Mobile Phone $1k Fine from Feb 1. Also includes passengers.

Gee, the next thing you know, they will legislate against drunk/druged driving.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I guess it follows along the line of fining the passenger for not wearing a seatbelt law.

Passed a sign along a country road the other day, flashing LED's to warn me not to TXT and drive at the same time. WTF.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I guess it follows along the line of fining the passenger for not wearing a seatbelt law.

Passed a sign along a country road the other day, flashing LED's to warn me not to TXT and drive at the same time. WTF.
Did you take a pic as you went past and send it out to warn everyone on bookface ??

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wow, this seems very open to interpretation
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well if a person was txting they wouldn’t see the sign anyway
I wonder which government department has to use up their budget with these?
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Same thing here in Melbourne, all these signs saying police targeting X, Y, Z on our freeways and major roads.

Needs to be police on the roads to target something first
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Wow, this seems very open to interpretation

I agree..The Coloured Bit will be a Can of Worms..

The Queensland Road Rules say a driver “must not use a mobile phone that the driver is holding … while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #9
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

I don’t see the confusion. Leave it alone while your driving, keep your eyes on the road where they should be and you’ll be right. It’s doesn’t have to be the rocket science it’s being made out to be.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2020, 11:12 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Same thing here in Melbourne, all these signs saying police targeting X, Y, Z on our freeways and major roads.

Needs to be police on the roads to target something first
We have those 'Police Now Targeting' signs on some of our major roads here in SA, on one I saw a number of years ago someone had spray painted over the word 'speeding' and replaced it with 'Your Wallet'
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I agree..The Coloured Bit will be a Can of Worms..

The Queensland Road Rules say a driver “must not use a mobile phone that the driver is holding … while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked
Really, a can of worms?

that simply means stopped in traffic versus actually parked: engine switched off by driver and car stopped in a correct parking spot.

The legislation mentions that because some drivers claim it's 'safe' if they hold or touch the phone while stopped in traffic.
We've all seen it, driver in front head down looking in their lap every time the traffic comes to a halt.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Really, a can of worms?

that simply means stopped in traffic versus actually parked: engine switched off by driver and car stopped in a correct parking spot.

The legislation mentions that because some drivers claim it's 'safe' if they hold or touch the phone while stopped in traffic.
We've all seen it, driver in front head down looking in their lap every time the traffic comes to a halt.
It'll come down to "plod's" Interpretation of whether you're "Stationary or Parked" I would think..

A quick google search reveals that in Typical Aussie fashion all states have slightly different definitions of what a "Parked" car is..

Anyway, It's not gunna affect me, As all My trucks have a fixed hands free Phones, Light vehicles all have Bluetooth. Plus I NEVER use the phone whilst Driving (Much to My Wife & Kids disgust) My License is far Too Valuable To Me.....
4 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #13
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Maybe this will stop the hyperbowl here

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/saf.../mobile-phones

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #14
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple, don’t touch your phone until you have stopped and parked in a legal spot, engine off. Otherwise be prepared to cop a fine. Can it get much simpler than that? Absolute opposite of can of worms, black and white as it gets.

If you’re not happy with that definition of parked, familiarise yourself with your own states legal definition of parked. But I’m sure the above description will be sufficient in all states. Just don’t use your phone while your car is in use!!
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
That would be Vicroads.

We keep talking about driver using the phone......I'm more curious about passenger use and how it effects the driver as these road signs are far more distracting than a passenger using their phone.

My phone is on airplane mode while driving.

3 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #16
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That would be Vicroads.

We keep talking about driver using the phone......I'm more curious about passenger use and how it effects the driver as these road signs are far more distracting than a passenger using their phone.

My phone is on airplane mode while driving.
Funny you mention that. While I agree phones are the ultimate distraction for many (just look at all the walking dead wandering about the place with heads in their phones oblivious to all) there’s also many other external distractions that would attract the average muppet such as advertising etc etc. money talks and that’s not going to get looked into is it?

I did the same as you, throw it on flight mode and drive. Must admit it makes the drive a lot more pleasant.

The parking issue sounds very cut and dry but I’m sure there will be different interpretations by many. A while back my daughter got pinged by a camera in Brisbane, bumper to bumper traffic, red light, nothing moving and a clear way . She was in the outside lane, let he BF hop out still no movement, several changes of lights before she was through the intersection... some camera pinged her for parking in a clear way. To be fair I think it was a council camera . Not exactly the same I admit, but there’s a dollar to be made they will find it. So in the eyes of the law she is still driving since the engine is running but the council says she was parked because the door was opened? I suggested she drop him off next time without stopping but it didn’t seem to get a lot of approval from her for some reason.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #17
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'Parked' means exactly that - i.e. not just stopped in the traffic at a red light or similar stationary traffic situation.

You need to be off the road and parked where it is safe and lawful to do so. Not by stopping in a 'No Stopping' area or a turning lane to answer the bloody phone like you see some numb nuts doing.

There is no requirement to turn the engine off, otherwise vehicle occupants in the tropics would be sweltering after about 10 seconds. Park in a safe spot with the parking brake applied and you're good.

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 11:21 PM   #18
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CAV : From the RACQ : "Hi Chris, it doesn’t specify how long you have to intend to stay at the place, so if you pull over to somewhere you can legally park, stop and put the vehicle in park (or Neutral if it is a manual) and have the handbrake on, then you’re parked and can use your phone."
Old 27-02-2020, 11:51 PM   #19
hayseed

https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/ne...6b71aec43b05ff
Old 29-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Regular day in Benalla for the cops.

Old 29-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #21
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
'Parked' means exactly that - i.e. not just stopped in the traffic at a red light or similar stationary traffic situation.

You need to be off the road and parked where it is safe and lawful to do so. Not by stopping in a 'No Stopping' area or a turning lane to answer the bloody phone like you see some numb nuts doing.

There is no requirement to turn the engine off, otherwise vehicle occupants in the tropics would be sweltering after about 10 seconds. Park in a safe spot with the parking brake applied and you're good.

Russ.
i hope your right about the engine running, many times i,ve pulled over and sellected park ,handbrake on and lh blinker , but leave the engine on, cause it s been 40c outside.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i hope your right about the engine running, many times i,ve pulled over and sellected park ,handbrake on and lh blinker , but leave the engine on, cause it s been 40c outside.
It is in SA at least, the Police Commissioner recently released a statement to clarify their position with regards to this and said it's not the intention of the rule to book people for leaving their engine running so long as they've met the other obligations of parking in a safe place with handbrake applied and hazard lights on.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #23
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

The last I heard there were 340 fines issued in QLD for phone use, that was a week ago. $340,000 into the revenue raising pockets from what can only be called idiots. No doubt there’s a few license cancellations included with that.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
3 users like this post:
Old 29-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #24
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Why is it that taxi drivers are allowed to drive all over the road, drive way slower than the speed limit, be distracted while looking at and/or operating their dispatch system (which has a digital display), and not be fined??

Was following a taxi yesterday, and the guy was all over the shop. At one stage he even crossed the line onto the opposite side of the road! Driving 15km's under the limit!! How and why is this legal?
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #25
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
The last I heard there were 340 fines issued in QLD for phone use, that was a week ago. $340,000 into the revenue raising pockets from what can only be called idiots. No doubt there’s a few license cancellations included with that.
Theoetically 340,000 but when a lot of the offenders don’t pay the fines the true figure might be half of that,but some are so addicted that they just don’t seem able to help themselved.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #26
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Theoetically 340,000 but when a lot of the offenders don’t pay the fines the true figure might be half of that,but some are so addicted that they just don’t seem able to help themselves
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #27
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

GOOD.....Still getting off too light in my opinion ...$1000 and a few months off the road the first time and double if ever caught again ..No sympathy for these gooses..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #28
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
Definitely right Ptb. I've confirmed this with the Officer in Charge of our local Road Policing Unit.

I'm in Far North Qld and there's no way you can sit in a closed vehicle in the sun any longer than about a minute once the engine has been turned off.

No problem with leaving the engine running. The test is that the vehicle needs to be legally parked.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #29
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford.
Why is it that taxi drivers are allowed to drive all over the road, drive way slower than the speed limit, be distracted while looking at and/or operating their dispatch system (which has a digital display), and not be fined??

Was following a taxi yesterday, and the guy was all over the shop. At one stage he even crossed the line onto the opposite side of the road! Driving 15km's under the limit!! How and why is this legal?
I suppose it comes down to not being a communication devise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100
Theoetically 340,000 but when a lot of the offenders don’t pay the fines the true figure might be half of that,but some are so addicted that they just don’t seem able to help themselved.
Not in the long run. When you don’t pay the fine they cancel your rego and stupid does what stupid does, drive unregistered and cops more fines that go un paid and ends up driving un licensed.
There’s no known cure for that special kind of stupid

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
2 users like this post:
Old 29-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #30
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
I suppose it comes down to not being a communication devise.
Isn't it though? Taxi drivers have to communicate with HQ when it comes to accepting or rejecting a call out, which involves pressing buttons on a visual display, which requires the driver to take their eyes off the road for a number of seconds. In other words, exactly the same as someone texting on their phone.

What about Uber drivers? They have to use their phones as their dispatch computers. Uber drivers are always operating their phones while driving??

Seen it so many times. The taxi/Uber is driving all over the road, at varying speeds, while the driver is concentrating on his dispatch computer in his car. How is this not the same as texting while driving? If one's phone was attached to a mounted cradle as the law requires, and you were to do the same as a taxi/Uber driver touching buttons on his mounted computer, you would be fined.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post