Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 30-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
alpineraven

Default MC Mondeo - Trailer wiring - genuine Ford loom

Good Morning all,
Picked up an towbar from wreckers on other day, Before I start pulling apart my MC Mondeo - I just want to check if there is a plug ready to go to plug into this green connector on this black box (see photo)?

Also does anyone have fitting instructions that Ford would've supplied?

Cheers
AP
alpineraven is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MC Mondeo - Trailer wiring - genuine Ford loom

Suggest trying ford parts or pre delivery for instructions as wiring has to be intergrated at fuse box in rear
You will also need to have ford program system so it recognises it has trailer plug fitted.
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Is the vehicle sedan or wagon? Yes there should be a plug already tapped to the vehicle harness which you need to untape and fit to the trailer module.

As per 11ford11, you will need a Ford dealer to program the vehicle to know a tow bar is now fitted once you complete the job.

If it is a wagon, I have the instructions but they are too big to attach here..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
alpineraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Is the vehicle sedan or wagon? Yes there should be a plug already tapped to the vehicle harness which you need to untape and fit to the trailer module.

As per 11ford11, you will need a Ford dealer to program the vehicle to know a tow bar is now fitted once you complete the job.

If it is a wagon, I have the instructions but they are too big to attach here..
Its a wagon
Cheers
AP
alpineraven is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
bf2fairmont

Hi, I have MC Mondeo Hatch and Ford Towbar and Computer from wrecker. Wanting any advice on where Computer sits? Is on the Left Rear side? Sensor wires enter on Right rear.
Ford have told me no reprogramming of sensors required (that is what the computer module is for). Should be plug and play - just need to confirm where to plug and play.
Was quoted 4 to 6 hours at $130 per hour for Ford to fit with me supplying the parts!
Cheers for the help.
bf2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

for the hatch mine is on the RHS behind the covering just up from the corner. Mine isn't programmed and it goes off (crazy like) when reversing with a trailer. At least I can turn it off manually. I should look into forscan if it can do it for me. That and I need to mod the plug, trailers with LED lights end up 'strobe like' (indicating no connection sensed) because of their low current usage, bulb types are fine.
Old 24-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
cyclone1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
for the hatch mine is on the RHS behind the covering just up from the corner. Mine isn't programmed and it goes off (crazy like) when reversing with a trailer. At least I can turn it off manually. I should look into forscan if it can do it for me. That and I need to mod the plug, trailers with LED lights end up 'strobe like' (indicating no connection sensed) because of their low current usage, bulb types are fine.
To fix the LED problem I bought the Ford Ranger harness adapter which just plugs in between the car and trailer. Works a treat. You can get it on eBay however my Ford dealer had heaps in stock and gave me mine for $30.00. Easy.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
bf2fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
=======

Thanks, got the bar on and routed the cables through the same hole the reverse sensors go through on the RHS you mention.

I have the Ford wiring kit that disconnects the reverse sensors when towing and avoids need for having to reprogram anything I have been told. I have a MC 2013 hatch which may be different from the earlier models??

Didn't get time to look at the loom or where to mount the computer (any instructions or tips appreciated. Plan to post a "how to" after for others...

Cheers
Old 25-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #9
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Yes the central car configuration parameters will need to be programmed in the vehicle to initialise trailer sway etc..
Old 26-02-2017, 07:52 AM   #10
bf2fairmont

Quote:
Yes the central car configuration parameters will need to be programmed in the vehicle to initialise trailer sway etc..
===========

Thank you! I rang Ford service department and got to speak to the Foreman who assured me no programming would be required as I had the Ford computer included as part of the tow bar wiring harness... Will go in there next week rather than over the phone! Some wiring install instructions would be great...

Cheers
Old 26-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Instructions for wiring attached in two parts as would not load as one document, too big???

Step 19 on clearly shows programming required in the last few pages.

MC Mondeo Wagon Trailer Wiring 1.pdf

MC Mondeo Wagon Trailer Wiring 2.pdf
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #12
bf2fairmont

Thumbs up Re: MC Mondeo - Trailer wiring - genuine Ford loom

Great stuff! Thank you very much! Would never have worked out what went where without the instructions... I have the hatch but can see wiring same just fuse box etc in slightly different place behind LHR taillight on hatch. Will wire up then go to Ford for reprogram and post how I get on.
Cheers
Old 27-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #13
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You mean sedan then, by hatch I thought you meant wagon, as there is only wagon or sedan. Sedan instructions below..

MA-MB-MC Mondeo Sedan Towbar Wiring Instructions 2007-31072008.pdf
Old 27-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #14
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
as there is only wagon or sedan.
lol I chuckle when checking etis my vehicle comes up as Saloon (obviously meaning sedan) but it catches out many places when looking for parts, so hatch I say to clear things up....then comes another stunned look when they're looking at the screen....'Oh yeah 103kw', then you get a nod with everything is okay expression.

anyone else notice that?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
nevetsg

I almost had a heart attack when I saw the extra cabling to the go to the fuse panel. But that looks like a wagon only thing. GTLEGEND's non-wagon instructions don't show that.
I have installed a 2nd hand Ford towbar from an MA into my MC and then discovered that the lights didn't work. From there I discovered that the Tow Module for MA (6G9N-14B192-AC)is different to MC (am2j-19h517-ac). $250 to Ford later and I now have the new module.
Now they want $71-$100 just to tell the computer that it is there... Anyone know if this is something a mechanic can do for cheaper?
I would like to leave the gooseneck in place without the parking sensors seeing it...

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box

Last edited by nevetsg; 12-07-2017 at 10:46 AM.
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #16
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

you've spurred me on to look at my own, at least the stick on the door:

what annoys me is it's genuine but till triggers off the sensors if in reverse with a trailer connected.

I'll have a look at the box tomoz. I might do that mod to the connector.
Old 13-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #17
nevetsg

My old MA (the car this tow bar came off)(RIP) never sensed the tow bar or a trailer when connected. Reverse sensors still worked fine for parking etc.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
Old 13-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
bf2fairmont

My MC you can just turn off parking sensors by pressing the button on the dash when you want! Ford struggled to connect the module I had and managed to connect it but somehow messed up the parking sensors (I have it booked back in for them to fix it after the school holidays!) Ford Module didn't work with LED lights on my trailer so I went to a 3rd party towbar place and they removed the Ford module and put their 3rd party module and wiring in for $150 fitted and works sweet with LED lights. I spent $120 just in labour for Ford dealer to connect Ford module and mess things up. In hindsight if not a new vehicle and just plug and play would steer away from a dealer in future. programming of Ford computer I would only worry about if you are going to tow heavy trailers! I will only occasionally tow garden trailer and nothing serious...
My ten cents...
Cheers
Old 13-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #19
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf2fairmont View Post
My MC you can just turn off parking sensors by pressing the button on the dash when you want! Ford struggled to connect the module I had and managed to connect it but somehow messed up the parking sensors (I have it booked back in for them to fix it after the school holidays!) Ford Module didn't work with LED lights on my trailer so I went to a 3rd party towbar place and they removed the Ford module and put their 3rd party module and wiring in for $150 fitted and works sweet with LED lights. I spent $120 just in labour for Ford dealer to connect Ford module and mess things up. In hindsight if not a new vehicle and just plug and play would steer away from a dealer in future. programming of Ford computer I would only worry about if you are going to tow heavy trailers! I will only occasionally tow garden trailer and nothing serious...
My ten cents...
Cheers
For LED trailers you also need the patch harness with part number AB3915436BF at around $50 from Ford to stop the LED lights flashing on your trailer.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...ABhScNnJDEK0SE
Old 13-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #20
nevetsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf2fairmont View Post
for $150 fitted and works sweet with LED lights.
You just made me sad that I will just have to give ford more $$.

Hitting the off button is an option but I want to be able to leave the Goose neck on all the time and still have sensors. I am lazy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old 14-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #21
bf2fairmont

Goose neck will not be picked up by reverse sensors so not a problem...
Only when have trailer attached and reversing will need to turn off with button (not often for most)
Cheers
Old 14-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #22
nevetsg

My sensors are 'seeing' it. Hoping that Ford making the changes to the computer today with fix that up.

If it is still all fail, no trailer lights and annoying sensors, then I may need the name of that 3rd party place that did yours...

Old 17-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #23
nevetsg

results: so I sweet talked Ford into switching on the trailer config in the computer for me. The sensors now work correctly, don't detect the towball but do detect other things I am reversing up to. And the trailer lights now work! even though the LED lights blink fast.

I am too scared to plug in the old MA module 6G9N-14B192-AC to see if that works as well.

If anyone in Syd wants a 6G9N-14B192-AC tow module I can give you a good price...