Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
GotheProbe
Warrp Warrrp

Default Distributor

Hi....I need a new distributor ('94 Probe) and I've got a quote on one that's part number TOT57071 but for KLZE. Can anyone confirm KLZE is just the identifier for a Mazda part - as I think KL01 is the matching Ford part. So in essence I'm 99% sure it's the exact same distributor and the one I need but I just want to be sure of the KLZE Vs KL01.

Thanks if anyone can respond really quickly.

GotheProbe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
professorsabre
NECO

I can't answer your question but you could ask MAZFORD. They will be able to confirm it for you.
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The KLZE was an MX6 Japan only option & was NOT supplied stock on any Probe.
The engine designation for the Probe is KL03 as I recall.
Not sure if this has an impact on the distributor.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
GotheProbe
Warrp Warrrp

Thanks - I took a punt & based on the part # TOT57071 purchased the distributor from a guy/business in Canada. Out of interest here's my learnings.

1) Mazda quote $1032 + GST
2) Local Aust businesses all around the $400 mark give or take $50 for an aftermarket distributor.
3) Reco distributor (incl returning the original) around $400
4) New distributor landed in Aust (paying $100 for quick delivery) AUS $277 - via an E-bay business. That's <$300 TOTAL!!!

Even my mechanic couldn't believe I got it that cheap. He also said the part was great quality.

So my recommendation is don't always just consider what parts you can buy locally. If you can wait a few extra days the dollars saved can be enormous.

Probe back up & running and I'm one happy person
Old 14-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
professorsabre
NECO

As you know my story, similar situation and my mechanic said the same thing, couldn't repair for the price I'm getting the new one for and as with you that includes shipping.
Old 14-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
thearrow

Hey guys I get all my parts from here.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...0&model=COUGAR

The last lot I ordered on a Thursday and was delivered to my house on the following Wednesday. A really great service and the price is right. A full set of double platinum plugs and leads for A$136.63 delivered.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
GotheProbe
Warrp Warrrp

Hey thearrow - just checked out that web site & it's grouse!!! Thanks a lot Very easy to search for parts & prices seem very good. Stick that in the Favourites..
Old 14-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
professorsabre
NECO

Rock Auto are great to deal with and have a lot of manufacturers on board.

We'd be insane to buy parts at local prices.
Old 15-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
MTL10N
red kitty kat

This may be a stupid question, only due to the fact that I'm one complete auton00bile, but how is it possible to buy spare parts from overseas if some areas of the world, eg the states, have LH drive cars? I guess my query is do all the parts actually fit well here with our righties?

I realise if the make and model of the car are identical, then parts should logically be the same as well...but orientation-wise, say around the engine, how does that work? Have any of you guys ran into problems like this or similar with your spare parts?

I guess best bet would be to get UK parts lol.

cheers,
ToeKnee
MTL10N is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #10
professorsabre
NECO

Most parts are identical in our car also same motor and suspension as previous Mondeo (HD-HE). We need to check part numbers match. I don't know if this is the case with all Cougar parts nut some I've seen have listed LHD only. Our Cougars are basically a two door Mondeo, they're built on the same platform.
Old 18-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
MTL10N
red kitty kat

ah ic, make sense...cheers Angelo. I guess it's time to start stockpiling spare parts then. Any suggestions for the usual culprits that tend to wear out/fall apart?
MTL10N is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
professorsabre
NECO

I don't know really. Apart from my windows switches that all got replaced inside one year of ownership this is the only costly mechanical repair I've had since owning the car new from 2001. "touch wood"