Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
professorsabre
NECO

Angry Compressor

Gotta get this off my chest...

Just my luck my air conditioner compressor is dying and I need a new one pretty soon. Its been leaking oil over the last couple months, I'm amased it's still working.
Anyway I went to the dealer and after 4 days they've just got back to me saying a new compressor costs AUD2500 : They can't find one new or reconditioned anywhere. I told them to look for an 01 Mondeo compressor as same engine.

I logged onto a US OEM Ford online parts dealer and found a NEW compressor for USD208 :the_finge I'm going to order it from the US as I have with many other parts as you can see it's a hell of a lot cheaper! I could buy 10 and still be in front!

Anyway my rant is how can Ford justify charging AUD2200 more for an OEM part when I can get it couriered here for AUD300. What a joke and yes I'm NOT HAPPY JAN.
:

professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
FumDuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsabre
Gotta get this off my chest...

I logged onto a US OEM Ford online parts dealer :
Hey, where is the US OEM thing, I wanna look into some new headlights, maybe we can share postage or somthing?
Cheers
RicK
Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
professorsabre
NECO

Sorry Rick I've already ordered it. Will keep this in mind if some of us need to order some more stuff from the us.
Funny you should mention Aussie head lights because they have them, Aust headlight not US spec, about AUD400-500 cheaper than we can get it for here, work that out : Here's the link Aussie Headlights (TeamFord USA)
Don't hesitate emailing any question to Bill Jekins is very helpful. The email on their contact page will get him.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #4
pcperfection
Cougar

I had a seal kit (full reco) done on mine for $260, not sure on the labour cost for removal & re fit or the re gas as it was under warranty, this was 2 years ago and last month the misses comes home from work telling me that the car is running hot, I has a look and fair enough it's boiled over, I was almost certain she cooked it, checked every hose/clamp - thermostat - main belt - all good, just about had me beat till I search NECO and found a similar issue, there is a second water pump belt (service belt) under the Duratec cover (right side) in my case- no belt - gone - missing not even a thread left, 2-3 trips (100m) down the local spares joint and I got a belt and all is good - well for the engine side that is, misses comes home 2 days later saying the A/C is not working, get a A/C mech to look at it thinking that the compressor has gone AGAIN but it turns out that when she over heated it expanded the gas in the low side A/C pipe and blew a hole in it, getting the piping out to fix the hole is a nightmare, $250 later all is good and cold, so that's my rant over with.

Cheers
Mark
pcperfection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

2500 for a compressor. That's what we call trying to bend someone over. Really can't see how they can justify that when u can get it courierd to AUS for 300 bucks. I hope u told them where to shove their 2500 bucks ;)

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Jesus! And I thought $65.00AUD for ONE wheel nut was steep...

Doesn't it just p!$$ you off to know we own such exclusive cars we get to pay beyond premium pricing for our parts in Australia?

Thank God for the Internet!

Dan
Old 11-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #7
professorsabre
NECO

This is just robbery and the dealer agrees but as they said they don't set the prices Fraud Australia do.
I just love to hear the justification in price difference between US and Australia. It's ridiculous how much more it is and it's even more ridiculous that they get away with it.

Forget the ACCC investigating fuel price fixing stick your nose in the Auto Parts Industry.
Old 13-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
GotheProbe
Warrp Warrrp

Ha - read my thread on a new distributor (for an '04 Probe). Exact same senario for me where I was quoted $1032 +GST from local Mazda dealer but got the part from Canada, landed within 4 days, for AUS$277!!! and $100 of that was delivery. It's an absolute joke what dealers charge here.
GotheProbe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 01:44 AM   #9
professorsabre
NECO

As you know i feel your pain. Mine is on the way now. saved myself two grand! Can't blame the dealer, it's Ford AU pricing. Poor dealer is was such a shock to hear that kind of pricing they copped the brunt of my anger. I've been going there for so long they understood and were pretty cool about it.
Old 14-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #10
GotheProbe
Warrp Warrrp

I'm really happy for you that you found the alternate supplier option At two & a half grand I would done some pointer finger exercises in readiness to use the window wind button - lol.
GotheProbe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
professorsabre
NECO

I've been using alternative suppliers for ages, although a few days slower at times the cost saving factor outweighs the wait and it's still an OEM part not generic.
Well I'm happy
Old 18-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
MTL10N
red kitty kat

Oh my poor kitty...suffered a heavy blow. Last sat night was cruising along Syd's superb quality roads. Didn't spot blackhole soon enough. Passenger side went right in and over *THUD THUD*. Mind you was only doing 60-65-at most in a 70 zone. Well after that didn't get far when starts hearing this really rough, bumpy sound at the front, not to mention steering started convulsing violently. So instantly hazard lights go on and had to manoeuvre across 3 lanes to find a side street to pull over. At least the gf got a free demonstation of how to put on a spare.

Next morning goes to only tyre place open on a sunday, BJ T-mart. Forks out 149 for a pair of Maxxis. Maybe should've shopped around first for something better for value? What do your kittys roll on and how much did you pay?
MTL10N is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL10N
Oh my poor kitty...suffered a heavy blow. Last sat night was cruising along Syd's superb quality roads. Didn't spot blackhole soon enough. Passenger side went right in and over *THUD THUD*. Mind you was only doing 60-65-at most in a 70 zone. Well after that didn't get far when starts hearing this really rough, bumpy sound at the front, not to mention steering started convulsing violently. So instantly hazard lights go on and had to manoeuvre across 3 lanes to find a side street to pull over. At least the gf got a free demonstation of how to put on a spare.

Next morning goes to only tyre place open on a sunday, BJ T-mart. Forks out 149 for a pair of Maxxis. Maybe should've shopped around first for something better for value? What do your kittys roll on and how much did you pay?
Yeeeouch dude! I remember hitting a pothole really hard in my last car, and I didn't notice anything weird til I pulled up at a set of lights and my driverside mirror was hanging off the car!

As for tyres, I've got Dunlop Direzza D-101's, price I dunno, but they came packaged with my 19's.
Opinion? These crap all over the previous Yokohama's and Nexen's I used on the car (Nexen's are a no brainer I suppose), getting far more wear and these are a lot quieter than the Yokohama's I originally had on my 17's.

Dan
Old 18-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
professorsabre
NECO

I'm going the Maxis option when I get new tires, heard a lot of good stories. Did very well in the Wheels comparo. Currently on Dunlop LeMans LM702. Can't recall the exact price but I do know I paid quite a bit for than the Maxis option.