Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 07:46 AM   #1381
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post

I believe that many people think that “boring” jobs don’t need to be taken seriously, thereby attracting less initiative-inclined people, and so the spiral continues.

Just demand and supply doing its thing.
That's like our accounts team, I've had to baby 6 of them who've come and gone over the past 3 years I've been with this company.

They contact me 6 months after having issues getting payment out of a customer, then say that they won't answer the phone and they don't have updated contact details.

Looked at the delivery address and business name, quick Google and got them the new phone number.

The fact they didn't even have the initiative to search first before stopping and interrupting me over something so basic shows you can have all the university degrees in the world but have no initiative.

It's like they operate on yes/no flowcharts and if they hit a no the next action is ask Franco
Old 05-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #1382
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Looked at the delivery address and business name, quick Google and got them the new phone number.

The fact they didn't even have the initiative to search first before stopping and interrupting me over something so basic shows you can have all the university degrees in the world but have no initiative.

It's like they operate on yes/no flowcharts and if they hit a no the next action is ask Franco
Sounds like you have the same HR “talent acquisition” process as we do! We have a saying “you can’t fix stupid” .
So many of these people don’t give a single squirt of rats urine about the actual job, they just perform a process, yet the same ones complain their job is not satisfying. Here’s a news flash, use your brains , think outside the square and make it a learning experience for future skill sets that may serve you very well in the future .
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #1383
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Yeah, you're a hypocrite.
Your attitude to others is rotten. Not all, in fact very few are like the evil lazy nitwits that you complain about. Try something radical, and treat others with some respect and humanity. No one, but the desperate would really want to work for you, with that attitude.
Is that what you got from my posts?
If someone worked with you for a month and they still didn’t show any initiative after being by shown and then instructed many times, would you keep them on? I’m not a charity, 1 month is plenty long enough to see if someone is worth putting effort into or not.
5 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #1384
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I assume these lazy workers you get to help you do the physical tasks you cant do are fully covered by Workcover in case they become injured doing what you cant or are you like many sole traders and just have private accident insurance to cover yourself?
$275 a day with ABN, lucky to be onsite 8hrs and maybe 4-5hrs hard work, I even pick one of them up as he doesn’t have a licence. One has their own insurance, not sure about the others. Funnily enough she is the one I would hire haha!!!
4 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #1385
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Sorry if this has been posted before but I've only just watched it.
A reason for GM to keep Holden (and Pontiac) alive.

How to register an illegal Holden Ute in the US.

https://youtu.be/hjTOEX-qJB8

This user likes this post:
Old 06-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #1386
Vekgib

I'm not sure what the last two posts have to do with whether the Holden brand will survive.....

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #1387
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you wanna have a go at BENT_8 over his work vehicle then I suggest you start a thread dedicated to that.

Last edited by PG2; 06-03-2020 at 10:36 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #1388
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It was the straw that broke the camels back. Holden had a plan but needed the investment. The goading by the libs just showed them they couldn't care less about keeping Holden manufacturing here, and led to GM making the decision to stop Commodore production.

It wasn't the sole reason, but it contributed to it.
I guess the question is would they have stayed post this RHD pullout?
Saying that if the Commodore (Aussie one) had stayed on there would be one in my driveway to replace the Falcon.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #1389
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Saying that if the Commodore (Aussie one) had stayed on there would be one in my driveway to replace the Falcon.
It should be obvious that regardless of what happened locally, GM was destined to pull out of Australia.
Holden not following buyers with locally produced SUVs pretty much sealed their fate.
Instead of a Statesman, it needed a zeta based "Territory", not embracing that years ago
is what really sealed Holden's fate. The inability to transition buyers to at least one vehicle.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #1390
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It should be obvious that regardless of what happened locally, GM was destined to pull out of Australia.
Holden not following buyers with locally produced SUVs pretty much sealed their fate.
Instead of a Statesman, it needed a zeta based "Territory", not embracing that years ago
is what really sealed Holden's fate. The inability to transition buyers to at least one vehicle.
GM went with the adventurer instead. Considering they could do no wrong after the VT release it was probably a cheaper option to develop. It wasn't like Ford gave Australia their blessings with the Terri. But it kept production going.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #1391
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Without the other countries sales, i’d say it was probably doomed no matter what. It was really the loss of europe, sth africa and india that drove the nails into the coffin. The massive drop off of holden sales was just the final one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Pretty sure their plan was to build a commodore based suv. They dubbed it nullabor. Pretty sure they already had design work done on it.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #1392
Struggo

The GFC and the subsequent rape of Holden by the newly formed GM sealed it's fate. ☹️

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/holdens-lost-heroes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holden-suv-ss-v (1).jpg (85.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #1393
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Without the other countries sales, i’d say it was probably doomed no matter what. It was really the loss of europe, sth africa and india that drove the nails into the coffin. The massive drop off of holden sales was just the final one.

Pretty sure their plan was to build a commodore based suv. They dubbed it nullabor. Pretty sure they already had design work done on it.
Zeta was engineered to cover an SUV up to 120" wheelbase - most likely the Chevy Traverse.
So leading from that perhaps survival was SWB and LWB SUVs along with Commodore?
Old 12-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #1394
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden dealers have lawyer'd up on compensation from GM. Go hard and I hope they can give GM a big kick in the balls.

We can all argue that is was over from 2017 but that was not the public position from GM or even privately.

I don't know the specifics of the deals but from some reports it looks like this was dropped cold on dealers when this decision was actually months in the making.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #1395
Eurotrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Holden dealers have lawyer'd up on compensation from GM. Go hard and I hope they can give GM a big kick in the balls.

We can all argue that is was over from 2017 but that was not the public position from GM or even privately.

I don't know the specifics of the deals but from some reports it looks like this was dropped cold on dealers when this decision was actually months in the making.
Plus, it seems like GM made it clear that some dealers weren't allowed to take on other brands, which ultimately has hurt these dealers. This type of decision and along with making dealers upgrade their showrooms 12-24 months out from making the announcement to leave, I think, has put GM in a weaker position.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #1396
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

It looks like a Vietnamese Auto maker wants to take over the facilities??

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 13-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #1397
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

Could be the same one that got some good R&D data last year from Toyota and Honda - not via an approved method either.
Old 13-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #1398
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

NUP. It's history.
Old 13-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #1399
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo View Post
The GFC and the subsequent rape of Holden by the newly formed GM sealed it's fate. ☹️

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/holdens-lost-heroes
That actually looks fantastic!!
Old 13-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #1400
minheim

Quote:

At best they might pick up some design/engineers but otherwise the only facility that they could look at would be the testing track as I suspect the manufacturing plant would have been stripped.
Old 13-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #1401
Sioso
irregular member

Why couldn't they start selling these, I'd buy one for sure:

https://jalopnik.com/chevy-is-puttin...van-1842213938
Old 13-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #1402
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:

Vin fast been setting up next door for the last 6 months. It'll be R&D like Ford is. Already poaching people from suppliers and Ford. Also heard a few of the Holden people went over.
Old 13-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #1403
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Vin fast been setting up next door for the last 6 months. It'll be R&D like Ford is. Already poaching people from suppliers and Ford. Also heard a few of the Holden people went over.
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...-maker-114971/
Old 13-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #1404
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Adelaide Holden dealer building a new $3m showroom is taking on VW/SEAT. SEAT must be coming back ?
Old 13-03-2020, 11:14 PM   #1405
Eurotrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
The Adelaide Holden dealer building a new $3m showroom is taking on VW/SEAT. SEAT must be coming back ?
SEAT?? You sure? SEAT is present in New Zealand, but nothing has been announced for Australia. Maybe it's Skoda?

Which Holden dealer? City Holden at Mile End? They were building their new 6.5million dollar showroom before the announcement.
Old 14-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #1406
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eurotrash. It is City Holden. I got the cost wrong
I cannt find the article. But they said "VW/SEAT will be in the showroom." Its annoying you read something and then cannt find it !
Old 14-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #1407
Eurotrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Eurotrash. It is City Holden. I got the cost wrong
I cannt find the article. But they said "VW/SEAT will be in the showroom." Its annoying you read something and then cannt find it !
I knew they were on the lookout for another brand and they do have "City LDV' and are currently sharing the same showroom with 'City Holden'.

I know a guy I could ask, if it is true that they're picking up a Volkswagen franchise. Still not sure about SEAT though, that one doesn't seem to be correct. Volkswagen has said for years SEAT wouldn't be making a return to Australia and instead they would concentrate on Volkswagen and Skoda. If they do bring SEAT back, then they've kept that announcement quiet.

Solitaire already have two city Volkswagen dealerships here in Adelaide, suburbs of Medindie and Hawthorn and there is Southern Volkswagen down at Reynella, so a fourth city dealership seems a bit much, unless Solitaire are closing down one of their sites?
Old 14-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #1408
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Why couldn't they start selling these, I'd buy one for sure:

https://jalopnik.com/chevy-is-puttin...van-1842213938
BA Baracus would have one. Black with red alloys?
Old 15-03-2020, 06:14 AM   #1409
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash View Post
I knew they were on the lookout for another brand and they do have "City LDV' and are currently sharing the same showroom with 'City Holden'.

I know a guy I could ask, if it is true that they're picking up a Volkswagen franchise. Still not sure about SEAT though, that one doesn't seem to be correct. Volkswagen has said for years SEAT wouldn't be making a return to Australia and instead they would concentrate on Volkswagen and Skoda. If they do bring SEAT back, then they've kept that announcement quiet.

Solitaire already have two city Volkswagen dealerships here in Adelaide, suburbs of Medindie and Hawthorn and there is Southern Volkswagen down at Reynella, so a fourth city dealership seems a bit much, unless Solitaire are closing down one of their sites?
Solitair's vw workshop is over the road i can't see that happening plus city holdens workshop is a s***y tin shed down the road not a good image

Last edited by davenl5l; 15-03-2020 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 15-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #1410
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt very much that VAG would re-introduce the SEAT brand in Aust. while we are in a declining new car market.

We have seen the demise of over 10 new car brands since 2000, Holden being the latest , with Dodge & Infiniti only last year & there are rumours of others. The SEAT thing would be a pipe dream.

Dr Terry
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread