Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-04-2024, 09:50 PM   #181
Trendseeker

Default Re: Diabetes: Discussion thread.

Could have been this one?
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...el-beer-garden
Old 25-04-2024, 11:18 AM   #182
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
This time, he was much more insistent about turning the alerts on. Recent news of a diabetic killing 5 people while driving with low glucose and not having the alerts turned on
He had alerts turned on, but chose to ignore them. One way or another someone was going to provide him with a table so he could have lunch.

Sorry, but he was a stubborn old fool and I hope they throw the book at him. Diabetics lived for years without apps and real-time monitoring. Hell, even us non-diabetics know what low BG feels like, my diabetic dad went for years without a monitor just by feel.

Hasnt stopped his lawyers from trying to get him off describing this as nothing more than a medical episode. But at what point do you hold him responsible? He ignored *nine* alerts.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2024, 11:23 AM   #183
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
. Hell, even us non-diabetics know what low BG feels
Sorry to be blunt, but no you don't.
Old 25-04-2024, 12:16 PM   #184
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but no you don't.
Plenty of people get reactive hypoglycemia these days since plenty of people are obese and/or have T2D.
Old 25-04-2024, 03:38 PM   #185
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
He had alerts turned on, but chose to ignore them. One way or another someone was going to provide him with a table so he could have lunch.

Sorry, but he was a stubborn old fool and I hope they throw the book at him. Diabetics lived for years without apps and real-time monitoring. Hell, even us non-diabetics know what low BG feels like, my diabetic dad went for years without a monitor just by feel.

Hasnt stopped his lawyers from trying to get him off describing this as nothing more than a medical episode. But at what point do you hold him responsible? He ignored *nine* alerts.
From what I was told yesterday, yes he ignored the warnings from the sensor. And in that regard, he has no argument to make.

I guess my intent with the post was to say the sensor can be used against you in a case like this. In this case, he is quite rightfully screwed.

I've had Diabetes since 1992. The stuff that I had to use to manage my diabetes is a world away from what is used today. My parents had to pin me to the bed to give me injections from nasty syringes, no pretty pens with tiny little needle tips, huge lances to draw blood from, glucose meters that were the size of a brick and took ages to deliver a result.

It's now 2024 and I have only been on a glucose sensor for two years now, and I still refuse to have a pump. So, I know what it takes to manage the condition with or without modern tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Plenty of people get reactive hypoglycemia these days since plenty of people are obese and/or have T2D.
Not to discredit or argue with you, more out of curiosity, can I ask what symptoms you get when presented with hypoglycemia? It can be different for every person, so I'm interested to hear what someone without a full diabetic diagnosis experiences.

Personally, I decent level hypo for me can be quite a nasty feeling -

- Elevated heartbeat
- Lethargy
- Sweating
- Shortness of breath
- Pins and needles in my extremities
- Blurring vision (black lines in extreme cases)
- Loss of coherence (extreme cases)

I've been close to lights out a couple of times as well. Quite often, all of the above then leads to fatigue, headaches and exhaustion later on.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2024, 05:06 PM   #186
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Racing pulse, cold sweats/clammy hands, pale skin, tremors in hands. I used to get these episodes when I was younger and underweight after major physical activity. Then when I got older and overweight, it would happen after having a softdrink on an empty stomach - 5-10min later, hands get clammy, hands shake, heartrate goes up. Stops happening altogether when I lose weight.

My dad refuses to go on a pump, but he manages his sugar pretty poorly. Wildly overestimates how much sugar he needs to get himself back to a healthy range. So his BGL is chronically high, and he has eye issues now :/
This user likes this post: