Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2023, 12:51 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Queensland drivers could be quizzed on road rules when they renew their licence.

Queensland drivers could be quizzed on road rules when they renew their licence. ( Nine News)
Queensland drivers could reportedly soon have to do a test when they renew their licence under a government plan to tackle a worrying spike in the state's road toll.
Transport Minister Mark Bailey is set to announce a raft of safety measures today in a bid to address bad drivers, the Courier Mail reports.
Drivers caught travelling more than 40km/h over the speed limit will have their licence immediately suspended as part of the new changes, the newspaper said.
High-risk speeding offences already attract a suspension, but there is generally a 21-day wait until the suspension period comes into effect.
Last year, 299 people died on Queensland roads, making it the highest annual road toll since 2009.
The carnage on the roads led to the state government holding a roundtable meeting earlier this year with road safety experts and stakeholders to discuss ways to address the problem.
Bailey told the Courier Mail discussions at the road safety roundtable had repeatedly come back to speed being responsible for taking many lives on the road.
"We saw too many fatal crashes last year where speed was a contributing factor, and so we'll be looking at a harsher penalty for high range speeding offences," Bailey was quoted as saying.
"Another issue raised was driver education, and so we'll look at a potential road rule refresher when people go to renew their licence.
"Thankfully we are off to a far better start to the year on our roads in 2023 but we know how quickly that can change, which is why we need to do all we can to make our roads safer." https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063933949974
Old 10-04-2023, 01:14 PM   #2
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Queensland drivers could be quizzed on road rules when they renew their licence.

Driver training

Mum training l plate daughter driving at 95 in the fastest lane on the four lane M1 Gold Coast- Bris motorway

See this a lot. Learners being trained to drive the wrong way

I had keep left unless overtaking rammed into my head

Bad training lax licensing creates bad drivers plus phone distraction plus vehicles ( Thai specials) that handle brake poorly.

What a toxic cocktail
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2023, 01:26 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Queensland drivers could be quizzed on road rules when they renew their licence.

I had a hell of a time learning how to drive, the first time I saw traffic lights was in my licence test, I spent 200+ hours on my Ls just cruising on country highways

The next day after I got my licence I was picking up customer cars from South Melbourne and bringing them back to the workshop in Essendon - I learned how to drive AFTER I got my licence by driving in customers cars by myself through metropolitan Melbourne.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Queensland drivers could be quizzed on road rules when they renew their licence. ( Nine News)
Queensland drivers could reportedly soon have to do a test when they renew their licence under a government plan to tackle a worrying spike in the state's road toll.
I would have thought that an actual on road test would be a better idea.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:30 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

So all the millions of law abiding drivers in Queensland now get punished by a refresher quiz
because some safety jerk off thinks that’s what’s needed to lower the road toll. What a putz….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2023, 04:20 PM   #6
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
So all the millions of law abiding drivers in Queensland now get punished by a refresher quiz
When you get your L's in Queensland you're tested on the road rules, whats wrong with testing people to make sure theyre up to date with any changes and to make sure they remember them?
Considering the number of people I see every day who have clearly no idea about some of the most common road rules, I'm not against the idea!
Old 10-04-2023, 04:34 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
When you get your L's in Queensland you're tested on the road rules, whats wrong with testing people to make sure theyre up to date with any changes and to make sure they remember them?
Considering the number of people I see every day who have clearly no idea about some of the most common road rules, I'm not against the idea!
Agree, I would go one step further (every state) and have a full test for everyone every 5 years.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 04:41 PM   #8
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Another revenue raising exercise, who do you think is going to foot the bill for all this extra testing?, it aint going to be the government that's for sure.

Lets have a guess on how much it will cost you for this refresher quiz, Im thinking $180 a pop.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 04:55 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Another revenue raising exercise, who do you think is going to foot the bill for all this extra testing?, it aint going to be the government that's for sure.

Lets have a guess on how much it will cost you for this refresher quiz, Im thinking $180 a pop.
I just think its a good idea at getting crap drivers off the road, hopefully permanently.

Old 10-04-2023, 04:59 PM   #10
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I just think its a good idea at getting crap drivers off the road, hopefully permanently.
It will be just like when you went for your licence the first time, do everything by the book answer the questions with what they want to hear, then once you have your licence drive however you feel like.

Most people do the right thing but there are plenty that think that they can drive however they like and have no regard for the other drivers on the road, no amount of retesting is going to stop that and they know it.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 05:10 PM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
It will be just like when you went for your licence the first time, do everything by the book answer the questions with what they want to hear, then once you have your licence drive however you feel like.

Nothing wrong with that, keeps you up on regulations and gives the cops more right to nab the idiots doing the wrong thing. IMO.
In this day and age of safety PC everything, why are we still allowed to teach offspring how to drive when half the parent teachers flaunt the rule themselves.

After what I saw on Friday on the Hume I reckon half the jokers don't have licences anyway so don't stress if you don't think its important.

This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 05:47 PM   #12
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Its no different to yearly fees for different licences, why do we need to pay for a licence every 4 years but don't have to re train or sit a re exam?, is it for my safety or to fill the budget surplus, I would say the latter, the amount of licences I myself have to renew all the time on something I was trained in many years ago, that they provide no further training in, but I have to have a current paid licence to be able to do it is a joke, this will be no different, if you were trained right in the beginning then there should be no need for paying for it again.

Forklift ticket, drivers licence, A/C ticket, even when I had the wrecking yard, dealers licence, salesman's licence, motor vehicle repairer licence, flammable liquid licence, plus there are heaps of others that I have just let expire as its a waste keeping them all valid, none of them provide any updated training, once you got it you are trained for life.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 05:56 PM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Its no different to yearly fees for different licences, why do we need to pay for a licence every 4 years but don't have to re train or sit a re exam?, is it for my safety or to fill the budget surplus, I would say the latter, the amount of licences I myself have to renew all the time on something I was trained in many years ago, that they provide no further training in, but I have to have a current paid licence to be able to do it is a joke, this will be no different, if you were trained right in the beginning then there should be no need for paying for it again.

Forklift ticket, drivers licence, A/C ticket, even when I had the wrecking yard, dealers licence, salesman's licence, motor vehicle repairer licence, flammable liquid licence, plus there are heaps of others that I have just let expire as its a waste keeping them all valid, none of them provide any updated training, once you got it you are trained for life.
Well aware of tickets, OHS training crap, working in construction and owning trucks.
No different to the old Unions, people whinged about, they would show up and close a site down for safety breaches endangering their workers.
Now we have Workcover (or whatever the call themselves in other states)
They like to show up and close down building sites for monetary reasons.

This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 06:33 PM   #14
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Everyone's an idot on the road except us.

Next year my doctor has to assess if I am able to continue driving, this means getting reports from my: psycharist; chiropractor; pediatrist; allied health assessment; DVA nurse; occupational therapist; dentist; OPSM; Hearing Australia and finally my wife.

I should take him for a fang in the ute

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 08:03 PM   #15
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

None of the 13 year olds stealing cars have licenses...but he cant stop them.
Much easier to go after the ones with licenses.

Population of Qld has grown massively, roads are decades behind, but he wants the death rate to be LOWER than before???

A nice thought but wont happen, despite the fact Qld road fines are amongst the dearest in Australia and are propping up the budget by $billions...gotta pay for the Olympics nobody wants somehow.
Jastel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

When are they just going to admit they have no clue how to bring the road toll down, and that speed is just the scapegoat that can be used to make money?

Excessive speed is only a factor in a small number of crashes, yet it's their go to for anything. And nothing changes, the road toll never drops despite cars getting safer and safer. This quiz isn't going to stop that idiot sending a text message while driving, or stop old mate from getting so bored sitting on the highway at such a low speed limit that he drifts off to sleep.

Time to find some new ideas you clowns.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2023, 11:53 AM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Everyone's an idot on the road except us.

Next year my doctor has to assess if I am able to continue driving, this means getting reports from my: psycharist; chiropractor; pediatrist; allied health assessment; DVA nurse; occupational therapist; dentist; OPSM; Hearing Australia and finally my wife.

I should take him for a fang in the ute

Don't worry they don't let me drive either, make sure you drive in the right lane 30 under the speed limit.

I look forward to welcoming you into the no licence car club next year
3 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2023, 02:26 PM   #18
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
When are they just going to admit they have no clue how to bring the road toll down, and that speed is just the scapegoat that can be used to make money?

Excessive speed is only a factor in a small number of crashes, yet it's their go to for anything. And nothing changes, the road toll never drops despite cars getting safer and safer. This quiz isn't going to stop that idiot sending a text message while driving, or stop old mate from getting so bored sitting on the highway at such a low speed limit that he drifts off to sleep.

Time to find some new ideas you clowns.
Unfortunately unless its making them more money they won't consider any new ideas, so we are stuck with ever increasing speeding fines.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2023, 02:32 PM   #19
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2023, 07:19 PM   #20
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be happy if people just had to demonstrate that they know how to use a roundabout properly and stay in their own lane...

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2023, 08:49 PM   #21
HONK
*Honker*

I used to think QLD drivers were stupid til I got back down to Vic.
It's like everyone is stoned and is driving a Volvo down here or something.
What has happened in the past 10 years?

Way too many slow 4 cylinder cars, suv things, and goofs in their Americanized "trucks" on the road now.
Every roundabout you got some turkey cutting straight across the axis of both lanes, clowns doing 80 on the 110kmh freeway, merging at 72kmh, sitting 10 car lengths behind the next one at the stop lights, gawd.

Learn to drive you gronks!

Last edited by HONK; 13-04-2023 at 08:59 PM.
HONK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2023, 09:00 PM   #22
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONK View Post

Way too many slow 4 cylinder cars, suv things, and goofs in their Americanized "trucks" on the road now.
Every roundabout you got some turkey cutting straight across the axis of both lanes, clowns doing 80 on the 110kmh freeway, merging at 72kmh, sitting 10 car lengths behind the next one at the stop lights, gawd.

That isn't unque to Vic, it's the same in NSW as well. I honestly don't know how some of these people ever got a licence.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2023, 11:08 AM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONK View Post

When the nanny state goes after the public for so much as even going a smidge over the speed limit, this is the result.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2023, 08:34 PM   #24
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Having just driven from Nth Qld to Melbourne and back I agree with Bossxr8.

Everybody in VIC was doing 96kmh and overtook at 99kmh so one car got past per overtaking lane.

In Qld the 96kmh pensioner would be blasted off the road by someone doing 140kmh but at least there was no 3 km long of cars trying to overtake him...and the speed demon was out of sight, at least until the next roadworks when we all stacked up again.
Unfortunately Anna has seen the $$$ VIC makes and is getting more of these cameras up here.

Averaging Cameras and roadworks clump people together and this is when people take risks and accidents happen...on open roads where everyone can do the speed they want there are less problems.

There is currently plenty of flood damage needing fixing but do we need 20-30kms of 80kmh zones when there is actually nothing being done and nobody around? If people and machinery are there working fine slow it down for a km or two and then let it back to normal.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2023, 08:38 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Having just driven from Nth Qld to Melbourne and back I agree with Bossxr8.

Everybody in VIC was doing 96kmh and overtook at 99kmh so one car got past per overtaking lane.

In Qld the 96kmh pensioner would be blasted off the road by someone doing 140kmh but at least there was no 3 km long of cars trying to overtake him...
Thats EXACTLY how I lost my licence, however it was 161km/h, as soon as that overtaking lane opened up I went past properly

Cop was sitting in the middle of the highway, in one of two overtaking areas in the 75km stretch of the road.

First and only time I've seen them there, but it was the one that counted

Thats what they do though, in the 75km stretch of the road, there's two overtaking lanes along the length and then maybe 4 other spots where its safe to do an overtake - thats where they chuck the mobile speed cameras.

Usually what happens is in your two overtaking lanes, someone is going 82km/h and someone else passes at 88km/h and they take up all of the overtaking lane, leaving a huge queue behind them.

A lot of it is due to lack of etiquette to other drivers, people aren't willing to pull over to let people pass when they want to go slow, they'd rather just do 70km/h in the 100 zone, speed up in the overtaking lanes when you try overtake then go back to 70km/h because **** you thats why.

Did you experience the bankup of the 15 or so cars all tailgating each other as the slow poke does the 88km/h overtake in the overtaking lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Averaging Cameras and roadworks clump people together and this is when people take risks and accidents happen...on open roads where everyone can do the speed they want there are less problems.
My local highway has had 30x fatalities and 250x accidents in the past 20 or so years, because of what you're talking about, its a straight road with a couple curves - but the driver behavior people get frustrated, overtake in dangerous spots and have head ons and various accidents.

Its considered a 'blackspot' but its just chock full of retards who like doing 20-30 under the limit, who need to be euthanised.

One of the other local highways, we've had parts of it down to 60km/h for 18 months now, because of a few minor potholes, but the 60 zone extends for over a kilometer past the pothole area and people are sick of it, they just go through at 100km/h, or one person does the 60 then they get overtaken by 10 cars.

Its exactly like when the safety car comes out and the whole field suddenly backs up behind each other - thats the overtaking lanes and the roadworks.

Was in Sydney recently and took the old man out around to do touristy stuff as he'd never been - the old man noticed that on their roads, people move around with more pace than they do around Melbourne, its a big difference.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-04-2023 at 09:06 PM.
Old 15-04-2023, 07:53 PM   #26
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Yep long lines behind one idiot doing 30kmh under and despite a few pull off areas not moving over.

I did notice various signs on overtaking lanes saying "Keep Left, Let People Overtake" or similar words. but as we all know it means "Warning the caravan in front of you will suddenly increase his speed to prevent you getting in front of him...then he will slow up again".

Police need to fine people for bad driving...not only speeding which is the easy one.

In a few places I noticed speed cameras, then a few kms along the road was a mobile guy getting the ones who put the foot down after seeing the camera.

In 8500kms I only saw 2 RBT's, there was usually a speed camera or radar each morning and afternoon, moreso around the coastal routes, on the inland roads saw nothing. In NSW I did notice they were tough on the heavy vehicle inspections...never saw one open in QLD.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2023, 08:03 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Talking Re: Queensland drivers could be quizzed on road rules when they renew their licence.

Watch out Cav; I hear they are planning to introduce a gender test (no non-binaries allowed in right wing Qld) and then an IQ test next.

Last edited by aussiblue; 15-04-2023 at 08:13 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2023, 10:42 PM   #28
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think implementing this quiz on renewal could single handedly solve the "climate crisis". This would put half of Queensland's cars off the road at anyone time for weeks and months at a time.

Throw in some questions about roundabouts and it would take 90% of the cars off the road over night.

I think it's a brilliant idea!
arm79 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2023, 10:45 PM   #29
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Watch out Cav; I hear they are planning to introduce a gender test (no non-binaries allowed in right wing Qld) and then an IQ test next.
Cav will fail both....
Old 16-04-2023, 08:17 AM   #30
myrpo

Yep, the government fails to acknowledge 1200 to 1500 people are going to die in vehicles every year regardless.

I would say manufacturers have done their part around the modern cars with ABS, TC, SC, better suspension, radial tyres etc. The modern car is leaps and bounds from a 1950s model but speed limits are still the same. Poor roads in design and surface still prevail much the time, and governments just want everyone to drive slower and increasingly dumber so the speed camera click away.

If governments are that concerned with loss of life perhaps they could force manufactures to govern vehicle road speeds via satellite. Not many votes in that I imagine.

I feel a little uncomfortable saying it, but I have become one of those impatient lawless stupid drivers, and I'm 52. Where I am at least 75% of the road users do 10 -15km under the limit, and it seems the more powerful, prestigious, or sporty the car the slower they drive. These are not red or green P platers, they are open licence drivers of considerable time. But when you strike it 3/4 of the time it becomes a problem.

So I have taken to overtaking on double lines where practical, or get on the horn behind them, and of course tail gate. I figure if its acceptable for me to get fined for doing 4km over the limit, then its acceptable to harass people who do 10 or more under. Kind of a mutual road user respect thing.

I am not saying I am perfect and had thought it was my age (52) making me grumpy. But nowadays driving for a living it became painfully obviouse just how many people have been beaten into submission by the over use of speed cameras. Furthermore could not care less if they hold up other road users regardless of or whatever state of fear they are in.

The trick is to learn how not too be effected by these stupid people, harassing then is like pulling into the drive way, putting on your seat belt, or any other part of driving a vehicle. With intent, attention, and concentration.

So I would say the governments efforts to save lives and reduce accidents has a counter effect. Its like they have created driverless cars but still have the human running the show.

Last edited by myrpo; 16-04-2023 at 08:25 AM.
myrpo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post