Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 29-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
stickybeek

Default Removal of non donating members

I can't for the life of me understand why a member, that's not a donating member, that is an expert in their field, is forced to remove their name and by the looks of it, are no longer going to be part of this forum.
I honestly thought when I signed up to this forum, it would be open, non bias and helpful. But non the less, one moderator has determined that a particular member is not welcome to use there name in this forum and their knowledge in their field is not welcome.
It looks like my original thoughts about this forum were way off the mark.
Perhaps what should have happened, was prior to this member being accepted to post on here, the moderators should have checked out the name, rather than wait for postings to be made by them, then tell them their not welcome on here.
What next. If you mention a product name, that isn't associated with a donating member, you'll be asked the same thing? A little bias I reckon.
I won't name the people involved over this all, but I'd love to hear comments from other members about this

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

This site is free to use for all members - you don't HAVE to pay to use it. Some choose to donate money to keep the site going and that's their choice. As part of that the site is also sponsored by companies who have a right to be a little bit more "prominent' in their use of the site. A little bit like me saying to you I don't know you, I dont pay you anything, but I'm still going to come into your business and sell my products over yours and there's nothing you can do about it. Rather unfair for those who have put in the heard yards and paid the money to be the experts in their field on the site.

Now as for screening forum names, maybe you don't realise just how many new members signup every day. Can tell you that most of the time its over 20. Times that by 365 and thats a lot of time to sit there and check over everybody - and it's not a paid job, you have to fit it in between your other jobs.

I dont for one second believe that FFAU is a site that discourages 'free speech' - if I did I wouldnt be on here. But I do think that site sponsors have a right to be the more recognised people on here (they pay good money for it) and while other companies are welcome to share info (the more the better), the sales pitches are better left to other areas.
Old 29-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this is a pretty touchy subject, if said user was going into the sponsors sub forums and posting there or actually trying to sell there products, i could see the problem. However since that said member is an expert in a product that many of us own, i dont think they should be pushed away like that. just my opinion, plz dont ban me :P
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybeek
I can't for the life of me understand why a member, that's not a donating member, that is an expert in their field, is forced to remove their name and by the looks of it, are no longer going to be part of this forum.
I honestly thought when I signed up to this forum, it would be open, non bias and helpful. But non the less, one moderator has determined that a particular member is not welcome to use there name in this forum and their knowledge in their field is not welcome.
Perhaps what should have happened, was prior to this member being accepted to post on here, the moderators should have checked out the name, rather than wait for postings to be made by them, then tell them their not welcome on here.
What next. If you mention a product name, that isn't associated with a donating member, you'll be asked the same thing? A little bias I reckon.
I won't name the people involved over this all, but I'd love to hear comments from other members about this
No one has been removed as a Donating Member before I start, No One has been removed as a sponsor either, no posts have been deleted to throw more into the basket as well.

Maybe your user name suits you well, mine certainly does as to the way I want these forums managed

Your arrogance is on rivaled by my reply yet your ignorance to the fact rivals none. Your recent post a clear indication of your purpose on this site, when you signed up did you take your own wisdom into account as well?
Quote:
Sounds like your disappointed their boofhead.
Quote:
Pull your head in pal. The last posting before you stuck your head in, was it's a waste of time on the street. Then stupid you said exactly the same thing. Go see OPSM and get your eyes checked, or pull it out of your ***
Quote:
Wake up stupid.
Quote:
So who's the weirdo? Not me
Your such a forward thinker and asset to the chromosome line!

Before shooting off next time be it known that there is no issue for products to be discussed, proven many a time daily and highlighted by the endless signatures people have, but there is an issue where the forums are abused for self promotion where others pay for that right, we take latitude to the endmost degree but fool us once and then there is no recourse and certainly no remorse by us to protect the members of these forums

Feel that is censorship, stiff!

Last edited by Laminge; 29-12-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs24
I think this is a pretty touchy subject, if said user was going into the sponsors sub forums and posting there or actually trying to sell there products, i could see the problem. However since that said member is an expert in a product that many of us own, i dont think they should be pushed away like that. just my opinion, plz dont ban me :P

Certainly wouldn't for that post, but alas as I mentioned above, the first thing we do weigh the costs of multiple sponsors for the same product, the second is give others a chance to explore the benefits, however as I said, if they intend to do so with an aim to bite, ignore or otherwise, the hand we offer, then the doors are shut tighter than a fishes rear end and we will offer the chance to someone else.

After all, if that's the attitude towards members on the forums, then we don't want them on this site.
Old 29-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

We welcome everyone's input to our Forum, surely this can be done without the mobile billboards and self company promotion, if someone wants to be a genuine member and help others they don't need a business name to post.

We have sponsors here that support the Forum and its members in turn we support our sponsors.

I have friends/members here that have a business and are happy to be involved and post without having to promote or mention there business name.

Edit: I would also like to say 3 out of 5 administrators of this site have a business, do we ever hear any self promotion.
All administrators and moderators are here because we like what we do, try and make something good here for the Ford and Car enthusiasts who like to use this site.
All administrators and moderators are not paid, no one takes or gets a cent.
Money raised through sponsorship goes to running the site, it's events, sponsorship, trophies and Charity etc.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 29-12-2008 at 11:11 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm on about a dozen forums, mostly non-car related, but all with their own sponsors, and I must say I don't find this forum to be overly heavily moderated at all. I can't say theres been a time where I've thought to myself 'thats a bit slack' at something a moderator has done. I do think they do a good job of getting rid of the scumbags . With any site with sponsors its a fine line between allowing free speech and impeding on a sponsors rights to have their product 'pushed' a little more than others, and I believe AFF does a fine job indeed. I believe a site should 'encourage' sponsors sites and goods, but not disregard everyone elses.

Head over to a fishing forum I'm on - you can't even mention Kmart (its automatically censored) because Kmart sell fishing gear and they don't sponsor the site. You can't even openly suggest a non-sponsors store to purchase any fishing goods from. Talk about pathetic.

Keep up the good work Australian Ford Forums.
Old 29-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
05_ENFORCER

Hell hath no fury like a Laminge scorned
Old 30-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #9
stickybeek

Why all the crap there Laminge. Got nothing better to do I see. I just opened up a thread to get open thoughts and you want to carry on like a pork chop.

Those postings you seem to have put up as quotes, look well doctored. I gather you've done that, because you want to discredit the thread and myself? Or is it this thread hits a nerve, that it does resemble some sort of truth?

I'm keepng names well out of the forum, to do with this, for that very reason. To stop the slandering that does occur.
So how about stop the name calling. It goes to show the intelligence level you have because I'm not going to bring myself to argue with an idiot on that level.

Maybe we can get some open intelligent discussion about this topic. And I did say intelligent, not pathetic stuff like you just posted there laminge

As for my username. I chose it specifically because I like to stick my nose in and help where possible, when it comes to a vehicle. I fix them daily and as stated, this forum is here to help people. Or is that just a front?

When my nose is punched the way it has been, I tend to bite back hard. I'm not going to sit back once it's been hit and cry to mummy.

Yes, I have been banned, because my nose was punched and I bit back real hard. I won't mention the people concerned, unless you want me to. Yes, Laminge you punched my nose again and yes I bit back once again. Will you ban me for it. Who knows. That's for you to decide. So how about we stop the crap slaying and get on with the topic at hand.

Last edited by stickybeek; 30-12-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 30-12-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Why all the crap there Laminge. Got nothing better to do I see. I just opened up a thread to get open thoughts and you want to carry on like a pork chop.

Those postings you seem to have put up as quotes, look well doctored. I gather you've done that, because you want to discredit the thread and myself? Or is it this thread hits a nerve, that it does resemble some sort of truth?

I'm keepng names well out of the forum, to do with this, for that very reason. To stop the slandering that does occur.
So how about stop the name calling. It goes to show the intelligence level you have because I'm not going to bring myself to argue with an idiot on that level.

Maybe we can get some open intelligent discussion about this topic. And I did say intelligent, not pathetic stuff like you just posted there laminge

As for my username. I chose it specifically because I like to stick my nose in and help where possible, when it comes to a vehicle. I fix them daily and as stated, this forum is here to help people. Or is that just a front?

When my nose is punched the way it has been, I tend to bite back hard. I'm not going to sit back once it's been hit and cry to mummy.

Yes, I have been banned, because my nose was punched and I bit back real hard. I won't mention the people concerned, unless you want me to. Yes, Laminge you punched my nose again and yes I bit back once again. Will you ban me for it. Who knows. That's for you to decide. So how about we stop the crap slaying and get on with the topic at hand.

I WASNT GOING TO BUY INTO THIS THREAD , BUT THAT IS A VERY DISRESPECTFUL REMARK THAT YOU ARE DIRECTING towards the administrator there mate. you trying to get banned. you can always choose not to come here if you dont klike it you know .
you arew acting very childish. and speaking very much on behalf of other members . how about you speak for yourself rather than make a tool of yourself over somebody elses business or issue.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 01:33 AM   #11
Justin@
Banned

Quote:

You really are a tool mate.....
Justin@ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #12
stickybeek

It maybe disrespectful towards the administrator as you see it, but I'm not about to be disrespected on here like that. Yes, they may ban me, but the way I see it, I opened up a topic for general discussion, not to have mud slung round in the thread. I don't think the moderators should be allowed to sling mud round in threads either. If we do it, we're banned aren't we? What do they get?

As for speaking for other members. Don't know where you get that from. I have purposely left names out of it, to save any sort of slandering or backlash that may occur. It might be started because of a comment made to me directed. You don't know. So, I think we'll leave it there and see if some more intelligent comments can be made in response to the topic, like have been made by a few
Old 30-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #13
stickybeek

[/QUOTE]You really are a tool mate.....

Yep. A sledge hammer.
What sort are you?
Old 30-12-2008, 02:10 AM   #14
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:

I'm keepng names well out of the forum, to do with this, for that very reason.

Maybe we can get some open intelligent discussion about this topic.
And your post is so intelligent, I am wondering if we we allow a free for all advertising by non sponsors why would any business bother supporting the site.

I am not fussed if you mention names, if you wanted to keep names out of this this matter you should have sent me a PM like 2 other users did tonight to find out some information on the same matter before this thread went up.

The same thing happens to at least 6 business's every month on this Forum, everyone would love some free advertising and promotions but its not going to happen.

This company your beating your drum about was told 3 months ago about site rules and T/C and being in breach of crossing the line as a user and or as a seller and they wanting to sponsor.

The same company offered goods to me in exchange for sponsorship, I said no all our sponsors pay the same low fee.(this is only fair)

We don't stop any members from posting personal experience with any shop, as long as they are a member and not self promoting business.

We also don't tolerate Adults only rated threads posts or pics.

I would like to add no good drawing an attack on Laminge, he throws in plenty of his own money in to this Forum for no gain or promotion to himself then he reads your 1st post and 99% of it has no factual content, then your next post is the kamikaze post means what (look at poor me everyone I got banned).

Old 30-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #15
SpoolMan

Quote:

As for speaking for other members. Don't know where you get that from. I have purposely left names out of it, to save any sort of slandering or backlash that may occur. It might be started because of a comment made to me directed. You don't know. So, I think we'll leave it there and see if some more intelligent comments can be made in response to the topic, like have been made by a few
After reading through your short history here and the way you speak to other members of this Forum you are clearly a troubled and very arrogant person and has a lot of trouble posting an intelligent response you always prefer to be rude.
People like you and your rudeness towards others means you are no longer welcome here, normally we have 3 strikes and your out policy, and you just made it in 2.
I have no doubt this is the result you wanted, goodbye time to stick your ‘’beek’’ somewhere else.

Old 30-12-2008, 02:45 AM   #16
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the AFF administrators allowed free advertising on these forums it would add new meaning to the word spam and create havoc when trying to navigate through the various threads and sub-forums.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 05:49 AM   #17
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the exact set of circumstances that played out, but by the sounds of it someone registered using a company or product name? If so, then shouldn't they have contacted the forum's staff seeking permission for what is essentially the intent to advertise to members of the forum without seeking to be a sponsor? If they aren't a sponsor and they have signed up with the intent to promote their business or product, then aren't they just taking advantage of the forum to spam Ford enthusiasts? Think about it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 07:20 AM   #18
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Quote:
just from this post its obvious that you have double standards.
on topic, i for one will admit that i have promoted a compnay that i worked for and was told quite nicely by admin that the post was too much like advertising and took away from those companies that sponsored the site. i was given the option to make the company i worked for a sponsor. so you honestly cannt say that the person you are referring to wasnt given a choice or warning. if they have been banned, then obviously they had persisted in their activity and gave the moderators very little choice. but as Laminge stated, no one has been banned recently nor have posts/threads been deleted. i assume that this person was a friend of yours the way you're carrying on here, but did it ever occur to you that maybe they havent posted in a while? or that they pulled out of the site under their own terms? a lot of people do that you know. but then, being as narrow minded as you are, you prbably cann't understand that.
to tell you the truth, im surprised laminge or another moderator/admin took so long to ban you, you should be lucky you weren't kicked out for good. but then, i know for a fact that the guys and girls who run the show are a giving bunch, and will allow people to have their say and have their fair share of chances. if i were you, id button my trap and hide in a corner for a while and think about what has been said in this thread and how you as a person can change your way of thinking and open your mind a bit.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #19
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Thanks Spoolman

Coupled with the pm I received his 2nd strike has been changed to a Perm Ban
Old 30-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
phoon
BOLLOCKS

To all that are reading this thread, I can tell you as a site sponsor here, you will not get better bang for your buck as a sponsor than on AFF. I dont know the circumstances behind s/beaks whinge, but if the business he or his mate tried to promote cant afford the meager costs charged by this site to be a sponsor, then it cant be much of a business. Rant over.

Cheers

Jeff
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #21
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

It is a shame that people set out to be so rude and vexatious but Mr SB appears to be good at it.

Keep up the good work Admins, you do a very good job for Next to nothing.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #22
46302ute
gunna get there

i know this is a no win situation and do not know the full details. but can i ask what is required for sponser/donating member?
I do work in the industry etc. and dont want to step on toes but here in the back waters of SA not much happens.
I am reasonably happy with most of this forum and how its run.
Bring on 2009.
:
46302ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 12:29 AM   #23
reece1
reece1

yes what is the sponsor cost is there a page to look at on this
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #24
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

May I suggest those that are looking at sponsoring the forums send one of the admins a PM requesting for the pricing but also putting forward what they believe they can bring the members of the forums in becoming a sponsor.

Plext Russellw Spoolman Wulos Laminge
Old 31-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #25
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
I know who you're talking about, he's still a part of this forum. No bull.

It's a pity you're no longer here. /e-sarcasm off

Quote:
but I'd love to hear comments from other members about this
lol.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #26
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I know who you're talking about, he's still a part of this forum. No bull.

It's a pity you're no longer here. /e-sarcasm off

lol.
^^ Yeah, my thoughts too. ^^

With regards to moderation, having recently had a nasty response from said 'banned' indidvdual, and reading all of the above, I think the Mods here have done an exceptional job. Well done Admin & Mods.

Lastly, referring to the quote, it would appear that SB was simply an alter ego for another recent member and having read some of the banter between SB and alledged 'alter ego' it would seem to further this belief. I was under the impression that this was not allowed?
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Even if you pay as donating member it doesnt give you the right to advertise your business in competition to Forum sponsors regardless, so really this thread is a waste of time...

You can give advice knowledge and all that useful stuff but when you add your telephone number and address to your signature, ur walking over the line.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post