Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #91
XRQTR
TBA Customs

That's basically what I'm talking about.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #92
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

I Agree
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #93
Pistol
pistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
That's basically what I'm talking about.
Sorry mate
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #94
Pistol
pistol

I'm convinced that this will work ,who do we boycot first,
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #95
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

It depends, which small business owner do you wish to bankrupt first ?

You don't like fuel prices so you want bankrupt a few hundred Aussie owned businesses, try researching the topic instead of getting a bee in your bonnets over random fuel boycott chain emails.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #96
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I received my Motorcharge statement from June. I compared it to May's statement. The only difference being my Super Pursuit sat in the garage for the month of June, as I really didn't need to use it for work. I drove my Mitsi Express Van instead for odd site inspections and planned my travels a little more thoroughly. There was around a $600 lower fuel bill between June and May.

Bottom line is fuel prices aren't hurting my business I just don't drive the ute as much. Plus, as others have mentioned, I have a greater appreciation of the SP when I drive it.

As some else said in a previous post, crude oil prices are being driven up by investors bailing out of property investments and are pooring their money in oil and energy companies. I know, I do it with my SMSF, and am reaping the benefits of higher oil prices.

I tell you what though, if Iraq and Iran are left alone oil will dramatically fall in value. It's the war mongers keeping crude oil prices high.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #97
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

spam ^^^^
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #98
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Siomeone pointed out something interesting to me today. Fuel prices hae more than doubled in the last year as a result of an increase in oil prices
Where were you buying petrol from in July last year for less than 80 cents per litre??
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #99
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
It depends, which small business owner do you wish to bankrupt first ?

You don't like fuel prices so you want bankrupt a few hundred Aussie owned businesses, try researching the topic instead of getting a bee in your bonnets over random fuel boycott chain emails.
I agree. It's not the retailers jacking up the price of fuel, neither is it really the oil companies either.

60% of oil produced comes from state owned entities i.e. oil companies account for 40% of oil production.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #100
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
So I take it then that you tried this in the last country you lived in and it didn't work.

I find it amazing that people would not be willing to try something that could make a difference.

As for the number of people in cars I say this all the time, I try to push people to car pool all the time, and this coming from someone that makes money from cars breaking down, the less on the road would mean less work for me but at least diesel would be much cheaper.

You also mention we have used over half of the "easily available crude", this is something that's used to justify price hikes due to deeper drilling and exploration costs, these costs would be payed for in a month if you go by the rough figure I gave for a one week boycott.

Would it inconvenience you in any way to boycott say BP or Mobil or Clatex for a week?? if the answer is no then what do you have to lose?
I havent tried painting myself orange and dancing naked in the middle of a major intersection to lower petrol prices, however, I am convinced, it wont work.

You dont need to jump off a 600ft cliff to realize it will kill you, unless of course the laws are gravity are different in *your* country.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #101
OJ_Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here we go again...

MMR Built short motor, all the good gear.
Kenne Bell 2.6 intercooled kit from BPR
Tuned by Xtreme Ford Tuning - 400rwkw
Build thread here
OJ_Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #102
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
I havent tried painting myself orange and dancing naked in the middle of a major intersection to lower petrol prices, however, I am convinced, it wont work.

You dont need to jump off a 600ft cliff to realize it will kill you, unless of course the laws are gravity are different in *your* country.
Im willing to pay you money to dance naked!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #103
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Im willing to pay you money to dance naked!

how much?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #104
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The fuel companies are actually making less profit with the inflated prices, they pay world price for it and sell at a fixed price per unit, high price means they sell less.
I dare say you are incorrect in your statement there. Exxon attributed their record $40B profit last year, partly to high oil prices.

If pressed, I will find the release to prove my point.

Anyway, oil companies make what they make. They just pass the wholesale cost on to the consumer. Their 'margins' will always guarantee a profit under just about any circumstance.

What I don't understand is that governments all over the world are making more revenue... in other words, our federal govt is making almost twice the money that they did 18 months ago just from fuel excise alone... yet they see fit to introduce additional (carbon) taxes. Go figure!
Old 06-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #105
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
So I take it then that you tried this in the last country you lived in and it didn't work.

I find it amazing that people would not be willing to try something that could make a difference.
Again with this silly nonsense. The point is, you're never going to polarise enough people to make a difference. I've been receiving these bollocks emails for years now and most likely sent to a much wider audience than a Ford enthusiast website, net result? 0.0 change.

I pull into the servo I pull into, I favour BP as it receives most favourable reviews for my car and I get 5% off fuel. If you decided that BP was going to be the target for your boycott I'm now required to use a lesser fuel and pay an extra 9c/litre in the process. Pass.

Get 1000 people over the country to follow this silly scheme, do you think a chain like BP will even notice a difference? Doubt it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 02:59 AM   #106
fordAU

Bugger Oil and bugger OPEC, its time we moved on to something else that's viable, and having said that......drumroll....... Gentleman I present the future of Motoring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon

I wonder if RDP and the other tuners could edit one of these babies :hihi:
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #107
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
I dare say you are incorrect in your statement there. Exxon attributed their record $40B profit last year, partly to high oil prices.

If pressed, I will find the release to prove my point.

Anyway, oil companies make what they make. They just pass the wholesale cost on to the consumer. Their 'margins' will always guarantee a profit under just about any circumstance.

What I don't understand is that governments all over the world are making more revenue... in other words, our federal govt is making almost twice the money that they did 18 months ago just from fuel excise alone... yet they see fit to introduce additional (carbon) taxes. Go figure!
Spot on about the govenment revenue. I personally dont care about the petrol prices but I do care that we are paying way more tax and our hospitals are full, education costs too much and public transport is a joke. The higher petrol prices at least get people to think before just wasting petrol to drive to the local milk bar.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #108
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard

how much?
I'd say as much as it takes to keep your dancing viable for the sustainability of the cause.

So $1.60/minute ;)
Old 08-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #109
turbo4me

Petrol over here at the moment is $2.25 for 95 and about $2.31 for 98.
Makes you think twice before you get in and drive.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #110
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
I may be way off the mark here .But its seems to me oil went up around the time the U.S.A got there hands on it in iraq.

Wait until they try for Iran!!!

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #111
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
Bugger Oil and bugger OPEC, its time we moved on to something else that's viable, and having said that......drumroll....... Gentleman I present the future of Motoring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon

I wonder if RDP and the other tuners could edit one of these babies :hihi:
Now one of those would make the early plastic Falcon petrol tanks look a pretty attractive alternative in a decent rear-end shunt....
Well more attractive then daily Chernobols happening on the Ring-road???
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #112
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Spot on about the govenment revenue. I personally dont care about the petrol prices but I do care that we are paying way more tax and our hospitals are full, education costs too much and public transport is a joke. The higher petrol prices at least get people to think before just wasting petrol to drive to the local milk bar.
Unfortunately the price of petrol is a key driver that resonates throughout the rest of the economy............everything gets affected because our social fabric is built around using oil as our main energy source. As oil prices increase, so will the general cost of living.............It will mean much more than thinking twice about driving to the milk bar..........for many people it will put many luxury items and leisure activities beyond their normal reach.........things we were all used to only 5 years ago may very well become extreme luxuries in the next 5 years as MOST businesses suffer and try to recoup their costs.................remember, its always the consumer that foots the bill for any business expense and most businesses are suffering the additional costs..........right now.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #113
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby

100%

Look at it this way, 5 years ago oil was around $30-$40 a barrell pump was around $0.80, today it's over $130 for the same barrell and fuel is around $1.65, more than a 4 fold increase in crude prices yet the price at the pump has only gone up by a factor of 2, please explain.

Governments and oil companies all pad prices in order to safe guard themselves in bad times, this is more like the biggest jumping castle in the world not just padding, they're all in their jumping around like little kids having the time of there lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Again with this silly nonsense. The point is, you're never going to polarise enough people to make a difference. I've been receiving these bollocks emails for years now and most likely sent to a much wider audience than a Ford enthusiast website, net result? 0.0 change.
And this is the problem, people love to have a big whinge about everything but when they are asked to contribute to something to make a change they are all either too busy or suddenly don't mind the problem.

If people are so happy with the current situation then why are threads like this even in existence let alone as popular as what they are.

It's the same as an election that brings a new party into government, enough people went out and made a difference, this is no different.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #114
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Tassie update.

Ultimate just hit 1.89, diesel 1.96.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 02:08 AM   #115
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
100%

Look at it this way, 5 years ago oil was around $30-$40 a barrell pump was around $0.80, today it's over $130 for the same barrell and fuel is around $1.65, more than a 4 fold increase in crude prices yet the price at the pump has only gone up by a factor of 2, please explain.

Governments and oil companies all pad prices in order to safe guard themselves in bad times, this is more like the biggest jumping castle in the world not just padding, they're all in their jumping around like little kids having the time of there lives.
Funny that, hey? The deeper you dig, the less sense things make. Recall 1999 when our AUD was just 49c USD? I don't think our fuel prices increased by the same (50%) amount as the dollar dropped, either.

Another point is that the news articles quoting 'speculators' when announcing pending oil price increases... the articles never seem to quote the actual source but instead uses some 'speculator' from an investment company, who happens to talk jibberish... but wait, there is no issue with supply as the oil reserves are higher than when fuel was around 80c/L.

It all seems like smoke and mirrors to me. Time and time again we've heard excuses ranging from supply/demand, hurricanes, China/India consuming too much, outdated technology, fewer discoveries, impending wars etc... but wait, this sort of stuff has been going on for decades.

More likely (IMO) the IMF has set the price artificially (or some other power?). Those in the loop engage the Cone of Silence so we'll probably never find out the true story.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #116
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Again with this silly nonsense. The point is, you're never going to polarise enough people to make a difference.

One more example I forgot about, most of us would not really remember this but saw it on SBS or ABC a couple of weeks ago (just remembered about it again). Anyway most of us are too young to remember the "OIL CRISIS OF THE EARLY 70's" where speculation was rife about "WORLD OIL SHORTAGES" , sounding familiar, anyway fuel prices hit record highs and suddenly there was not enough fuel to go around so they did the old odd and even day thing.

Well what basically happened is that this is when many people gave up there hungry V8's and started getting into compact cars, this is when the Japanese cars really came into play on a world wide scale due to there economical engines. But, as a consequence of this happening suddenly they found all this extra oil reserve, funny that, and we have been riding that wave now for over 30 years when at the time I think they speculated less than that in reserve.

Moral is that people can and did make a difference, the oil/fuel companies saw massive drops in profit by people converting to smaller capacity engines that used less than half the fuel of the big V8's. They quickly about faced there argument for higher fuel prices and came up (out of nowhere, it was a miracle) with all this extra oil reserve and prices suddenly dropped.

By then it was too late and many were enjoying the savings benefits of the smaller cars so prices have been kept as low as possible in order to increase volume by sales to larger cars. I think the problem now is that we are so close to an alternative source of fuel for cars that they see a mass exodus once it arrives that they are making as high a profit as possible before they are no longer in the game.

The other thing as mentioned last night on the news and a few months back when the ACCC investigated fuel docket scams was that companies like Coles might actually be increasing prices artifically in order to recoup lost profits through fuel dockets. To a degree it is true that these servos (Coles/Safeway/Woolies operated) tend to up the price before anyone else then suddenly drop it with dockets. It's as if they raise the price so others follow then drop it just in time for the peak hour drive home, the others can't match them quick enough so they (C/S/W) make an absolute killing.

The ACCC and the Fuel Commisioner are a joke and do nothing just as last nights response from the FC justifying the "Pump Out Of Order" scam proves, we're screwed but I guess we get the choice of who does it to us.

Last edited by XRQTR; 11-07-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #117
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Also as has been mentioned in the last couple days oil needs to stop being indexed in $US, as the $US is in rapid decline this reflects on the price of oil, the rest of the world is bolstering the US economy.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #118
SSbaby
Banned

Aren't our fuel prices set by Singapore? Who's to say those prices are determined by a even higher body (IMF?)... call me cynical but I don't accept the convoluted tripe we seem to continually read.

My basic belief is this, if an explanation isn't simple, then it's not all it seems to be.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #119
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think the CIA is keeping fuel prices high so the aliens at area 51 cant afford to fill their spaceships and fly home
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #120
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Moral is that people can and did make a difference, the oil/fuel companies saw massive drops in profit by people converting to smaller capacity engines that used less than half the fuel of the big V8's. They quickly about faced there argument for higher fuel prices and came up (out of nowhere, it was a miracle) with all this extra oil reserve and prices suddenly dropped.
Oh, right. You've completely convinced me that if half a dozen of us boycott a petrol station, the global oil economy will sit up and take notice. I'll even take it one step further. I won't buy petrol on a Thusday either. We should realise another 50% reduction in price right there.

So, where do I sign?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post