Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #121
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
i think the CIA is keeping fuel prices high so the aliens at area 51 cant afford to fill their spaceships and fly home
Thats the reason why the banks keep lifting interest rates as well. Those spaceship hangers are mighty expensive
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #122
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Oh, right....... if half a dozen of us boycott a petrol station, the global oil economy will sit up and take notice.

You really are an idiot, unfortunately there are more out their just like you.

This site alone as of just 5 minutes ago has over 45,000 members, each of whom would have at the least say 20 people in there phone list that they could rely on to if asked by themselves to help out.

That's almost 1,000,000.............people that drive cars that is, people that could join the other "half dozen".

Oh and imagine of those 1,000,000 then asked just another 10 people in there phone lists to help out, you seem to think you're a smart boy I'm sure even you could work that out.

Why does everyone suddenly assume it's bigger than it needs to be, if each person on this forum alone did what I mentioned above there are the numbers we'd need and guess what it would cost each of us (on here) no more than a quick lunch at Maccas.

Then imagine again if other forums did the same on a worldwide scale............. oh sorry I forgot that's where your problem lies.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #123
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
You really are an idiot, unfortunately there are more out their just like you.

This site alone as of just 5 minutes ago has over 45,000 members, each of whom would have at the least say 20 people in there phone list that they could rely on to if asked by themselves to help out.

That's almost 1,000,000.............people that drive cars that is, people that could join the other "half dozen".

Oh and imagine of those 1,000,000 then asked just another 10 people in there phone lists to help out, you seem to think you're a smart boy I'm sure even you could work that out.

Why does everyone suddenly assume it's bigger than it needs to be, if each person on this forum alone did what I mentioned above there are the numbers we'd need and guess what it would cost each of us (on here) no more than a quick lunch at Maccas.

Then imagine again if other forums did the same on a worldwide scale............. oh sorry I forgot that's where your problem lies.
Yes, I'm the idiot.

All those people, all these years of receiving these stupid emails and the net result up to now, record petrol prices. Bravo. :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #124
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear ya champ.

Was only 18 months ago fuel was under $1 a litre. Filled up the GT last night at $1.75 - $95 to fill her up. I went against the trend of a lot of folks and moved from a non turbo 6cyl to a V8 just after Christmas. However I use public transport to work and only us ethe BA on weekends...Probably fill her up once every 2-3 weeks....so fuel is not an issue for me yet.

If I ended up needing a daily driver, i.e say, if I worked in the suburbs miles from where I live and there was no public transport, that would be a different story and couldnt justify owning the V8 especially if I had to fill her up twice a week spending $800 a month on fuel. That's where I really feel for families in outlying new suburbs with no public transport who rely on the family car to get from A to B.

This talk about being $8 a litre in 10 years is pathetic. If that's the case then the prices of all goods would have to increase relatively due to freight costs. Any consumable item that involves freight or haulage (can't think of any that don't) would be impacted as well as air travel. So then comes inflation..then higher wages...then high interest rates...the spiral continues....until we reach a break point at which time consumer condidence falls, companies do not invest or hire staff ....unemployment....falls in asset prices....falls in interest rates

As for oil being in short supply....Sure production can't keep up with demand at the moment, but there's enough oil in the ground to last another century at least. The same old spin was let loose in the 1972 oil crisis...so people got rid of their gas guzzling HQ's and XA's and the Japanese small car revolution took off...

For Mr Rudd to get elected on a promise of stabilising , or reducing, fuel prices and cutting interest rates is a phalacy. These are things the government can't control...It's a worldwide phenomenen and we're not immune unfortunately. It's too bad he's devoting all his energy to the biggest myth of all time, that being global warming and climate change.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #125
Mayhem_07

Remove this please

Last edited by Mayhem_07; 12-07-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Mayhem_07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #126
XR8putts

Got a bit of a shock at the pumps half an hour ago..

$2.18 / Litre

Yes thats in NZ, but you guys are about 2 months away from the same price..

Will have to drink less tonight!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #127
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99

$2.18 / Litre

Well, if the oil $$$ keeps increasing, it would mean that more airline companies will go broke.

I'm not an economist or speculator... but I'd think it's not going to happen unless someone wants the global economy to collapse. That would also imply a great many American companies. As the American's are responsible for the high oil prices, it doesn't seem realistic to assume they'd want all their domestic companies to become foreign owned.

Or am I just talking turkey? I say, hang in there and don't buy up those Corollas yet. We've been through a few fuel crises... during my time at least.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #128
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99

$2.18 / Litre

Probably not a good idea to drink petrol. :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #129
snakeoil
Snake Oil

Default useless trivia

In the USA both ford and the dark side have launched a campaign to extend the engine oil service intervals on private vehicles away from the traditional US standard of 3000 miles (5,000klms) which is ludricous

In Australia the standard is 15,000 klm and has been for a long while now but I suspect in the future this will be pushed way further

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #130
Shounak

On British cars it's often 25,000km. Absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe it's just the conditioning, but I feel weird not changing oil every 10,000km or 6 months.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #131
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
i think the CIA is keeping fuel prices high so the aliens at area 51 cant afford to fill their spaceships and fly home
Exactly, its the CIA, the Aliens and the Icelandic chapter of the illuminati, they are to blame.
They have been plotting this from the planet Zophos....
fordAU is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #132
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Well extended service intervals are not so bad if you run fully synthetic oils but yeah, any longer than 15,000 km, especially in congested places like USA or UK is just asking for trouble...
Old 12-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #133
mainyard

I love the idea that people buy a brand new little car or turbo diesel with the idea that its going to save them money...

The single biggest cost of a motor car is Depreciation.

Unless of course you're going to own the car until the day that it refuses to drive. Then depreciation becomes unimportant.

Its also interesting to see that a lot of people drive their cars with themselves only in the car.

Anyway, I figure that we should all probably just leave the car in the shed for the weekend and all buy motorbikes!
Old 13-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #134
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
Exactly, its the CIA, the Aliens and the Icelandic chapter of the illuminati, they are to blame.
They have been plotting this from the planet Zophos....
Well that makes more sense than Hurricane Katrina, dunnit?
Old 13-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #135
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Yes, I'm the idiot.

All those people, all these years of receiving these stupid emails and the net result up to now, record petrol prices. Bravo. :
Yes, why didn't I think of that, why it's elementary Watson what, it must be all those emails that have caused the increase in fuel, you're right old chap.

What say we retire to the library and smoke some cigars. :togo:
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 01:53 AM   #136
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well I am not a high income worker, and I also have a family. My rent alone is almost 50% of my wage, chuck in fuel at 1.79pl regular bills, running costs etc. Sure my partner works aswell but we have another child on the way and if the cost of fuel gets any higher, my falcon may be garaged and I ride everywhere. I can't afford it much longer, $50+ just to fill up my mrs excel, costs me 120 for my falcon (98 octane) and it is getting worse. The government need to do something to ease the burden, just because there is a resources boom, doesn't mean we all ****ing work for a mining company, and that seems to be the attitude. "Oh we are in a resources boom, everyone is wealthy" get ****ed, take your heads out of your *** and help those who are not so rich. I hate politics.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #137
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Edfutura25, I'm curious, why do you have to fill up with 98? I run all my cars in 91 just fine... I refuse to pay 20c/L more for such fuel when 91 works just fine. Of course my cars aren't modded so I don't need it.

Costs me about $85-$90 to fill the Falcon these days with 91, so I now have a smaller car and am trying to drive less. Falcon sits on driveway looking very sad and lonely. I only drive it once or twice a week to keep the battery charged.
Old 13-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #138
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Edfutura25, I'm curious, why do you have to fill up with 98? I run all my cars in 91 just fine... I refuse to pay 20c/L more for such fuel when 91 works just fine. Of course my cars aren't modded so I don't need it.
This may be a false economy,

I compared 91 to 95 in the BF 2 (my prev car - 100% stock and 200,000 km old)
and it was worth it financially if the 95 was less then about 10% more expensive.

I compared 95 to 98 also in the BF 2
and it too was worth it financially if the 98 was less then about 10% more expensive than the 95.

since 20% is less than 20cents I would be very surprised if the 98 is not worth the extra money for you.

Try this: drive for two tanks of 91, as economically as you can. - note the litres per 100 that you do.
drive for One tank of 98, as economically as you can. - do note the fuel economy on this tank (give the car a chance to 'get used to' the 98, and flush the 91 out)
drive for two tanks of 98, as economically as you can. - note the litres per 100 that you do.

compare the figures

If you get about 12% better on 98 it is likely worth the switch.
I got almost 15-20% in this comparison

and please note I found Shell 98 to be nowhere near as good as BP or Caltex 98 - Shell 98 will almost certainly NOT pass the test above when compared to BP 91 or Caltex 91
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #139
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Because it has been run on it for the last 3 years. I keep thinking of just going BP 95 but I always end up with ultimate 98.

And to EgoFG that test of ltrs per 100km won't work as my odometer does not work atm, so I have no clue how far I am getting. My trip computer says 1l per 100km lol we all wish.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #140
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

A post I made on a predominately ladies forum, done in relation to a question asked;- 'who killed the electric car'. She saw a TV show and some GM electric powered car car that dissappeared......

Alternative energy driven cars are certainly not off the table. Increasing numbers and technology type abound; see the Net for examples.

This is the Canadian made (Electric) ZENN, take a look! This car would need to go through the ADR (design rule) process before it could be sold in large numbers in AUS.
http://www.zenncars.com/

As for Bush, he keeps repeating he wants the US to be free of the requirement of mid-east oil. Seems a common enough opinion across the political sprectrum stateside now.

http://www.greenfuels.co.uk/product/fuelpod-2.aspx

In the meantime, a major disruption to oil flow from the Mid-East, arising from war or war-like activity would have almost immediate effect here, serious shortages and so on.

Under such national fuel shortage circumstance/emergency, the Commonwealth "LIQUID FUEL EMERGENCY ACT (1984)" would be enacted.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/con...ct/lfea1984213/

Here, the primary reserves (as directed to be kept) are intended for defence and state authorities; power suppliers and so on. A citizens access to fuel, rightly, comes last.

Try and make a point of keeping your car full, particularly should the international diplomatic situation change over the next few weeks, months/years.

This is New Zealands (very recent) updated OIL EMERGENCY RESPONSE STRATEGY.
http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/ContentTo...y____37527.aspx
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 01:17 AM   #141
SSbaby
Banned

Forget supply/demand. Forget speculators. High oil prices serve to bolster the US economy.

If this article doesn't put all the jigsaw pieces together in the whole puzzle, you're not very switched on. The world is again propping up the US economy by accumulating US dollars in order to purchase oil... but that could change.

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/12125

Note: The article might be a couple of years old but it's quite factual... and the author foresees events that will likely explain the current motives of the Bush administration. It reads like a predictable game of chess.

The article is reason enough why oil prices will not fall in the next few years... unless the Euro becomes the prominent currency for purchasing oil... and this could be extremely plausible.
Old 19-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #142
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Forget supply/demand. Forget speculators. High oil prices serve to bolster the US economy.

If this article doesn't put all the jigsaw pieces together in the whole puzzle, you're not very switched on. The world is again propping up the US economy by accumulating US dollars in order to purchase oil... but that could change.

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/12125

Note: The article might be a couple of years old but it's quite factual... and the author foresees events that will likely explain the current motives of the Bush administration. It reads like a predictable game of chess.

The article is reason enough why oil prices will not fall in the next few years... unless the Euro becomes the prominent currency for purchasing oil... and this could be extremely plausible.
I agree somewhat, the sooner the world starts trading in a currency other then the US then better imo. And it looks like China may take it. Time for a change, and make the US honest.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #143
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

I reckon we need to hope for Obama to be elected, which seems definite at this point in time, to see if a new administration cant try to fix the US economy. Whether this is as simple as pulling out of the wars they're involved in i dunno, but would be nice. i'm sick of hearing about people dying, from both sides.

I dont think that Bush can afford to invade Iran right now, if he does it will destroy McCain's chances of being elected.

Living way out west, we're always paying more for fuel than the metropolitan areas, Diesel here is over $2 PL and regular is about $1.82 last i checked. My T doesnt do alot of driving which is a shame as thats why i bought it. someone once said that we shouldn't rely on something like LPG either because if everyone turns to IT, then its price will go up just as Diesels did. does this sound plausible?

Also, i'm still trying to wrap my head around this whole emissions trading system coming into effect. K Rudd was on Lateline the other night saying they are going to offset the price of fuel, cent per cent, by reducing the excise on fuel?! does this mean that once implemented the price of fuel here will in fact become static? at least until the excise amount is surpassed??? i'm confused, can someone explain it in laymans terms for me?
Old 20-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #144
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oil prices bolster the US economy??? What the freaking heck? - yeah... it really shows doesn't it. Detroit in it's own recession, home foreclosures are at a record high... hmmm something else is at a record high too... I wonder what that could be....oil?? This is the whole reason an economic stimulus package was needed.
Barack Obama for president? Yeah right... the guy is all talk..."we need change" He is not going to magically put oil prices down to $20 a barrel. He is still talking about ethanol, which most of us have moved on from and realized we just need to move more quickly to hydrogen. I think Bush has a better short-term strategy than Obama with the oil shale available in the mountain region.
StandardAU, in most cases LPG is a byproduct of petroleum, so it's price is reflected by the price of oil. Even though Australia is supposedly self-sufficient in it, it's value goes up and down with world prices (which goes up and down according to oil prices).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #145
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

anythings better than another Conflict.
Old 20-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #146
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
oil prices bolster the US economy??? What the freaking heck? - yeah... it really shows doesn't it. Detroit in it's own recession, home foreclosures are at a record high... hmmm something else is at a record high too... I wonder what that could be....oil?? This is the whole reason an economic stimulus package was needed.
Barack Obama for president? Yeah right... the guy is all talk..."we need change" He is not going to magically put oil prices down to $20 a barrel. He is still talking about ethanol, which most of us have moved on from and realized we just need to move more quickly to hydrogen. I think Bush has a better short-term strategy than Obama with the oil shale available in the mountain region.
StandardAU, in most cases LPG is a byproduct of petroleum, so it's price is reflected by the price of oil. Even though Australia is supposedly self-sufficient in it, it's value goes up and down with world prices (which goes up and down according to oil prices).
Do your research on macroeconomics. You'd realise Bush only cares about the rich and prosperity of his own nation relative to other nations. You only refer to microeconomic matters in your rant... in other words, he doesn't care about the GM, Ford companies of this world. He only cares about banks, oil, defense, the USD etc... and doesn't care about the US foreign debt because he believes there is only one strong nation on this planet and that it could do whatever it wants without interference. Even if the middle class has to pay for it.
Old 20-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #147
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
You'd realise Bush only cares about the rich and prosperity of his own nation relative to other nations.
I must admit that is unusual for a President or Prime Minister to care about the national interests of their own countries, bloody hell, that Bush must be an evil bastard.

Keep an eye on the Albanian Pickle growers Federation, Bush is meeting with those bastards in the next few days to finalize plans for the world takeover of oil, its not really OPEC you know...
Old 20-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #148
fordAU

Default An alternate view

For anyone thats interested, have a read of this from FORTUNE MAGAZINE , dated 16 July, 2008.

The leaders of OPEC have a long list of culprits for high oil prices: the falling dollar, U.S.-Iranian tensions, and shady speculators.

Here's one they seem to forget: OPEC.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/15/news...ion=2008071604
Old 20-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #149
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

When we were overseas in June, we took a pic of the petrol bowser at a station in Cairo.

This is what they were paying for fuel in Egypt on average. The price is in Egyptian Pound (1.10) which at the time, one Aussie dollar was buying 5.3 Eyptian pound. Petrol had just gone up by 25% when we were there and people were facing the same issues we are when it comes to prices. It is definitely a worldwide issue.

Old 20-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #150
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
For anyone thats interested, have a read of this from FORTUNE MAGAZINE , dated 16 July, 2008.

The leaders of OPEC have a long list of culprits for high oil prices: the falling dollar, U.S.-Iranian tensions, and shady speculators.

Here's one they seem to forget: OPEC.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/15/news...ion=2008071604
So you're the one who believes it's just supply and demand? OPEC is definitely to blame because... they're the source, right! :

Yes, I still believe in Father Christmas too! ;)