Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Unhappy End of the world (kind of)

Ok its not the end of the world but its close. ( I have had a slow weekend)

Yesterday I marked on my car (an AUII) my BA 17" mags on a F@#&ing curb in a car park.
(You now the kind were you can only get a motor cycle around without hitting your rims.)

So my question to the all knowing forum is: What should I do ?
The marks aren't to bad and are on the ourside of the rim.
Should I file them back but with what and how?
Should I apply a coating of some kind to seal / protect the exposed area?

Uncle_Ken e
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Eh , bad luck... You got camera? If it's bad you can get your rims re-lathed. This can weaken your rims depending if they're heat treated apparently.

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

No its not that bad. (Cameras at work)

Its probably 3 cms long on the rim and about 1/4 to 1/2 cm wide. I bugs me because I can 'see it' everytime I have gone to the car since.
Uncle_ken
Old 13-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can get the rim repaired. Our rims are heaps scratched on the xr :(
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

my rims are pretty damaged around the rim.
have been for a while, i just left it.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
Ray
FORD POWER!!

One of my rims is fairly scratched (the others are perfect) It's annoying, but it dosen't really bother me, Since they were like that since I've had the car (My rims came off a BA XR6 that was written off, according to the dealer...) But I got them for free, so i'm not complaining!

Soon to come - XR rear wing, cat back exhaust - maybe a body Kit or a lowering job
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
One of my rims is fairly scratched (the others are perfect) It's annoying, but it dosen't really bother me, Since they were like that since I've had the car (My rims came off a BA XR6 that was written off, according to the dealer...) But I got them for free, so i'm not complaining!
Bugger I had to pay for mine.

I suppose I could move the wheel to the rear, that might help.

Damm free rims
Uncle Ken
Old 13-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Uncle Ken I know where you're at, I damaged my rim similar only last week and I am still peeved off I stuffed up, well they are not perfect anymore and it drives me crazy. I'm anal about these things, I'm due for new rubber right now so I may even trade them in for a new set lol........my wife will love me rofl
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Uncle,
Are the the Tickford SERII/III XR wheel, as fitted to my car( photo's in Show us your AU thread) If so they can be easily repaired. Get mobile scratch and dent bloke to look at them, or take it to your panel shop. I have had two of mine repaired and they only cost $40 and $50, can't pick which ones were done now, good as new!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:35 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Uncle,
Are the the Tickford SERII/III XR wheel, as fitted to my car( photo's in Show us your AU thread) If so they can be easily repaired. Get mobile scratch and dent bloke to look at them, or take it to your panel shop. I have had two of mine repaired and they only cost $40 and $50, can't pick which ones were done now, good as new!
Na they are standard BA XR6 17'' factory wheels.

Old 14-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #11
Ray
FORD POWER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Na they are standard BA XR6 17'' factory wheels.

Heh, the exact same as mine... I guess they have an attraction to being scratched :

Soon to come - XR rear wing, cat back exhaust - maybe a body Kit or a lowering job
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #12
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Yeah but they look sweet moving on the road...
I have done the Tickford Air as well
Uncle_Ken
Old 14-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #13
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

i know of a heapc good place in chipping norton that repairs rims, a friends mates business actually, ive seen alot of their work, they fix mags, incoorler/turbo plumbing etc etc, pretty much metal fabrication sorta stuff. they are awesome! ill get their details if you want me to.

cheers chris
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #14
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Thanks Chris,
Send me a PM or tell the forum, which ever you prefer.
Uncle_Ken
Old 17-06-2005, 01:36 AM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I think there's a place is Seven Hills called the MagMan ... they repair all manner of damage to rims ... a friend of mine got a massive crack on the inside of the rim ... was leaking air ... they repaired the rim and you couldn't tell where it was ... and the price was pretty decent as well.

It's well worth checking out wheel repairers/restorers ... they do a good job ... saves buying new wheels as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #16
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Thanks Mechan1k,
Will look him up. Hes close to wear I live>

Uncle_Ken
Old 17-06-2005, 07:28 PM   #17
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats no good... I have been so close to scratching mine lately, was trying a parallel park, which Im crap at so I don't know why I tried, practice makes perfect I guess... Anyways when I got out of my car, one of my clients was walking past and was watching me he laughed and pointed at the wheel,, was less then 5mm off the gutter..

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #18
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Missed it by that much....
Uncle_Ken
Old 18-06-2005, 06:43 PM   #19
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Mate,

Personally i would get it repaired. There are places that repair mags and it goes bac to brand new. : : Now only deal is to find a mag wheel repair place around your area.

Cheers,