Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #31
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Yeah, but Cubie still has a pulse apparently....
:lookedat:
Yeah still got the pulse.....last time I checked.

Some good points for both, but the modded AU sounds like the most fun to me..

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #32
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cube
Yeah still got the pulse.....last time I checked.

Some good points for both, but the modded AU sounds like the most fun to me..

We can all give you advice but Iam 50 and have been wasting my money on cars since 1971. But have still managed to bring up a family pay of a house & do 8 trips into the US & Canada. (Plus import a corvette which neally caused a divorce. Money could of been spent more wisley my wife's advice.)

If your young saving for the future does not really come into it even though its good advice.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 11:02 AM   #33
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Another piece of advice = never listen to owners of Black AU XR's....
:monkes:
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #34
b2tf
not here much anymore

Been in this situation not so long ago. Dad has an AUII Fairmont with just under 90,000 on the clock now, we looked at going up to a MkII BA XR6 N/A. For the figures it just wasnt worth it - I mean yes the BA is a nice car, and in some ways its a lot better than the AU, but the pricetag to get into one wasnt justifiable when the AU has given over 2 years of trouble-free service.
Old 19-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #35
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I went and weighed my AU1 VCT Auto last week at the local weighbridge. With me inside and just about no fuel the reading was 1.68tonne. Taking myself out of the equation and it is 1600kg neat.

Used my friends G-tech straight afterwards and found the nearest 100 zone. I did a 0-60mile time of 7.17s on a dead flat stretch. The only mod so far being 2.5" mandrel exhaust. Headers to come next 2 weeks!!!
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #36
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats interesting., same so far that is all I have..

Don't think I will be ditching the AU, got a new found love for it today.. I gave her a wash, its funny the small things..

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Old 19-06-2005, 11:44 PM   #37
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Cubie, if I were you I'd throw that $11,000 into a managed fund or a long term deposit.
Be nice to see that little number grow into something more substantial later on in life.
You'll only get taxed on that anyway....

Quote:
Another piece of advice = never listen to owners of Black AU XR's....
Us Black XR owners only want the best for you lol.

Quote:
We can all give you advice but Iam 50 and have been wasting my money on cars since 1971. But have still managed to bring up a family pay of a house & do 8 trips into the US & Canada....

...If your young saving for the future does not really come into it even though its good advice.
I reckon get the whole, I-wanna-nice-car-thing outta your system first, then concentrate on your future.

If you're young there's plenty of time to save up for later. Maybe even compromise and put 5.5k away and 5.5k on the car ??

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 03:18 AM   #38
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

It's kinda funny, Strider and I saw this nice example of a Cobalt Blue EFXR6 with the works in a carpark at Harbourside.

Just thinking between ourselves - that machine is now near on twelve years old. It still looks hot today. Imagine what the AU's will be like in that time frame from now...
Old 20-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #39
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Just thinking between ourselves - that machine is now near on twelve years old. It still looks hot today. Imagine what the AU's will be like in that time frame from now...
A comment was made that the AU shape (and new edge styling) would be more appreciated in years to come rather than at the present.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 20-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #40
buickman
buickman

Mr Cube spend the money on your Au as most Ba's will drop just as fast in Value.
You will not be happy with factory conditon & the extra dollars you have spent in buying the BA you could of put it onto the AU and stand back a admire your mods & still have a holiday. I think the Au is a underated car. Plus the S3 Blueprint TE50 of te50 on this forum is a neat looking car & looks as good as BA's in my opion.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #41
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah definatly agree with the comments on here the AU is much better then the BA..

Though we may be a lil biased being in the AUFalcon forum...

AUI VCT:

Old 27-06-2005, 12:34 AM   #42
xrgran

Hey Cubie

Keep the Au mate. I nearly made the same fatal mistake with my AU1 Fairmont a few months back, and had the urge to trade the poor girl in on a newer version. I was offered a pitiful trade-in but at the same time the salesman, who I know very well, gave the old girl such a wrap-up, that I took her home, gave her a wash n polish and fell in love with her all over again. :

Glenn bought me some new rims for mothers day, so I lapped up 'n' down the street in front of the dealership to show how good she looked. :eclipsee_ I have always taken care of her, so she is a good example for her age (May 99), as she has the full body kit, etc, from being factory built.

Spend a bit on your AU and pocket the rest in the bank.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 10:53 AM   #43
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
A comment was made that the AU shape (and new edge styling) would be more appreciated in years to come rather than at the present.
I had my black AUIII Fairmont parked behind a (light blue metallic?) BA XR6 yesterday and decided that it could certainly hold its own against the newer model. Not bad considering that the AU shape had been publically released 4 years before mine was built. The BA body seems like a step backwards, to me it looks like a squaring up of the EF/EL body (which is still nice, but getting a bit dated). From a distance the front end looks identical.

The only thing I don't like so much about the AU is the bug-eye headlights.

(I know all this probably got talked about years ago, but I only got my AUIII last week. :1syellow1 )
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #44
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Here is easily the most comprehensive article regarding the AU to date:

http://horsepoint.com.au/print.aspx?...61&ModID=16538

Somewhat off-topic I know since this is more of a BA vs AU thread but since the conversation is steering in the AU direction I thought I'd throw it into the mix. This article definately played heavily into my decision to buy the AU over BA (not to mention the double, yes double, price tag)
Old 27-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #45
TCK-098

Well ive driven both and the AU has better steering "ba" is like a truck and like jonbays mine feels faster too i thought about upgrading to a BA what for to fit in with all the others :evilsasmo .

Well i know now if i throw some boost on it ill be a very happy AU owner and still be in front on costs for change over.
Old 27-06-2005, 03:47 PM   #46
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

One thing I'm suprised is that no-one mentioned the terrible resale a modded AU has.. Look at Dans XR he got the car for free and paid for the mods... And that is a high profile car... I would never spend 11k on an AU when the reality is a slightly tweaked BA will be a better complete package.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but you grow to love whatever car you own

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #47
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats true racecraft, the AU has no resale whatsover. But the majority of car buyers dont really want to buy a modded car I dont think.

They are all good but a BA T with a $5000 thrown at it would be on par with mine at the moment in a newer nicer car. But you have to pay a lot more for those benefits.

When modding cars the owner who mods it always loses money. No matter what.
Old 27-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #48
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
One thing I'm suprised is that no-one mentioned the terrible resale a modded AU has.. Look at Dans XR he got the car for free and paid for the mods... And that is a high profile car... I would never spend 11k on an AU when the reality is a slightly tweaked BA will be a better complete package.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but you grow to love whatever car you own
Well i know now if i throw some boost on it ill be a very happy AU owner and still be in front on costs for change over.

This point exactly is why I'm thinking that modding the AU is a better prospect. To save up for a XR6T/XR8 I'll need way more than what a turbo setup will cost.

That and the fact that the evil half is on the rego papers and she'd need to sign off before I could trade the car :

Has Fez and XB.