Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
Ay-You-Steve

Question Condensation in Headlight

I've got some serious Condensation in my AUI F'mont L headlight. First thing is to wipe it dry, so how do I take the h'light cover off ?, and do I just have to replace the rubber seal providing there are no cracks ? (can't see any).
Cheers :
Ay-You-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

If its inside the headlight you need to heatup the silcon to pop it open. Either a oven or a heat gun. Then reseal it.
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
Ay-You-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkau
If its inside the headlight you need to heatup the silcon to pop it open. Either a oven or a heat gun. Then reseal it.
Yep its inside, thanks.
Old 23-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ay-You-Steve
I've got some serious Condensation in my AUI F'mont L headlight. First thing is to wipe it dry, so how do I take the h'light cover off ?, and do I just have to replace the rubber seal providing there are no cracks ? (can't see any).
Cheers :
:Up_to_som Another common problem with AU headlights. Unless your'e real keen l wouldn't advise putting it in an oven etc. It has no rubber seal, it's actually "bonded" in place much like modern windscreens. Pm me if you like & l can give you some options!!!
Old 23-06-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
V8 Ghia
Formally ED I6

If you only want to get rid of the condensation, the simplest way is to take the main globe out and stick a hair dryer in there for 1/2 an hour or so (saves taking the head light out of the car)

---------------------------
Other
93' ED 5spd 4.0L NA Fairmont
13.75 @ 101mph
V8 Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED I6
If you only want to get rid of the condensation, the simplest way is to take the main globe out and stick a hair dryer in there for 1/2 an hour or so (saves taking the head light out of the car)
Band aid solution. "SERIOUS" condensation means there's water coming in somewhere. Good luck gettin a "hairdryer" in behind the RH headlight, can barely get my bloody hand in to change the globes!!! :
Old 24-06-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
V8 Ghia
Formally ED I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Band aid solution. "SERIOUS" condensation means there's water coming in somewhere. Good luck gettin a "hairdryer" in behind the RH headlight, can barely get my bloody hand in to change the globes!!! :
Thats why it takes half an hour instead of a couple of minutes :
I did this in my EA when I bought it and there hasn't been any condensation since.

---------------------------
Other
93' ED 5spd 4.0L NA Fairmont
13.75 @ 101mph
V8 Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

ahhahaha.... dodgy!
AU headlights are notoriously bad for leaking, its common knowledge around the auto industry that ford sent out a memo to taxi owners not to use a highpreasure washer to wash their cars with because the headlights leak...

however, its kindof easily fixed... well for me and doc it would be anyway..
the headlight needs to be dismantled, no doubt about it...
then new sealant used in the chanel, then the lens re-aplied.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 02:37 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There's a tech article on aufalcon . com that describes how to remove the headlight from the car, and then how to pull it apart (and yes, it does involve an oven). While you're drying it you might as well paint the bezels black.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 10:09 PM   #10
Ay-You-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
not to use a highpreasure washer to wash their cars with because the headlights leak...
MY downfall right there.... : I'll stick to the bucket in the back yard.... :
Old 24-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Had this happen with my BA, I just took out the High beam globe and drove around with my headlights on for the day. The heat dried it out very well and when I put the globe back in it never came back.
Old 24-06-2005, 11:22 PM   #12
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
Had this happen with my BA, I just took out the High beam globe and drove around with my headlights on for the day. The heat dried it out very well and when I put the globe back in it never came back.
e Happened to me too (RH side) as l too use a pressure washer to wash my car, (was LAW in melb). Early indications (pardon the pun) seem to say, just like the AU, the BA's will suffer the same water pressure seal weakness, although it shouldn't happen!!! Could be worse though, on my EF, above RH headlight is the bonnet alarm pressure switch, hit that with the pressure washer & it's a great way to test the headlights, indicators, siren & the neighbours patience, all at the same time!!! :