Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
nicrobell

Default OBD2 users

Who has used an OBD2 diagnostic tool on their Mondeo? I've just ordered one and just wanted to hear of anyone else's experience.
nicrobell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: OBD2 users

Don't have a Mondeo, but which tool did you order?
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
nicrobell

I ordered OBD-AUS Forscan Bluetooth-OBD2 from OBD2 Australia.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
manchu

handy tool. A no brainer to have for the $20 or so it cost me.

I used mine to reset a once-off DPF related fault a couple of years ago and then to monitor DPF related parameters for a while afterwards.

What's annoying with my Mc mondeo is you cant close the access door with the dongle connected.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-05-2020, 12:01 AM   #5
Mondaveo

I've an OBDLink MX (Bluetooth) dongle which I used extensively to diagnose the dreaded Powershift speed sensor fault (fault code P0715 - read about that here). I would connect wirelessly using my smartphone and FORScan app to log drivetrain data as I drove around and record occurrences of the fault.

The OBDLink is pricey (I paid around $130 from memory) but I feel it's worth it for the quality of the device and battery saver feature, which allows you to leave it plugged in all the time - although as manchu mentions, you can't close the cubby door with anything plugged into the OBDII port. I eventually modded mine by hacking off some plastic on the door and socket mount to allow a right-angle extension cable to fit with the door closed so the dongle could be connected all the time, but I don't often use it anymore - only a few times lately to monitor the state of the DPF when I was feeling superstitious. It definitely had already paid for itself on the journey to getting my transmission repaired though.

The biggest problem I've found is that my phone/app frequently doesn't connect to the dongle on the first go, and I have to retry multiple times and sometimes reload before it decides to play. Not sure why, it seems the Bluetooth device just doesn't wake from sleep. Which is frustrating and adds a lot of friction to the conceit that I'd be connecting to the car anytime I want by having the dongle always plugged in and ready. Also frequent updates to FORScan reset the app's database and force you to go through initial vehicle setup again (and lose all your dashboards - arrrgh!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
Lecherus

I too am interested in buying one of these to suit my MC diesel Mondeo and FG XR Falcon,
Can someone please recommend which one to buy,
Maybe a link to Ebay,
Lecherus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
nicrobell

I bought this unit recently from OBD2Australia.com.au
Forscan Bluetooth-OBD2 $45.00 includes free postage in Australia.
https://obd2australia.com.au/product...bd2-scan-tool/
Old 02-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #8
thebigd

Hard to tell from the link image, but is turbo boost an option to be displayed ?
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
nicrobell

The forscan software allows multitudes of PID's to be used and can be displayed on screen as analogue and digital gauges. Among the inputs there is possibly one to indicate manifold pressure (MAP). i have only just ordered mine, so have no user experience yet.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:44 AM   #10
Mondaveo

Red face Re: OBD2 users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecherus View Post
I too am interested in buying one of these to suit my MC diesel Mondeo and FG XR Falcon,
Can someone please recommend which one to buy,
Maybe a link to Ebay,
Many Ford models including Mondeo use two CANBUS networks, the common High-Speed CANBUS (HS-CAN) for drivetrain management, and proprietary "Medium-Speed" CANBUS (MS-CAN) which handles lower-priority modules like body components and the infotainment system.

When shopping for an OBDII scan tool, ideally you want to find one that says it supports both HS-CAN and MS-CAN (or be prepared to mod a basic one) to access all on your car. The "OBD-AUS" that nicrobell has linked does so, and it has a physical switch to change between communication on the HS-CAN and the MS-CAN networks. The OBDLink I have also supports both, and does so without a switch (it communicates on HS-CAN and MS-CAN simultaneously).

FORScan is the de facto and principal software to use to get the information from vehicles with HS-CAN & MS-CAN.

I've only used the OBDLink, and I'd recommend it but depending on your use case you would possibly be perfectly served using a cheaper option like nicrobell's suggestion or even the cheapest HS-CAN-only ELM clone from eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
Hard to tell from the link image, but is turbo boost an option to be displayed ?
As nicrobell says, the FORScan software exposes all the data readings from the car's control modules, and these may or may not map to the things you want to know. For instance I know you can get a value for mass air flow (MAF) and boost actuator pressure (BAP), but I haven't found a straight turbo boost pressure reading - shame as that would be insightful to watch.

Quote:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #11
steerage250

I have an MC petrol Titanium, OBDLink MX and FORScan. I have been chasing a rough-running-when-cold problem and would dearly love to have found a misfire counter (preferably "by cylinder"), but haven't been able to do so.

Modaveo's comments about HSCAN & MS-CAN were interesting. I get all the body component modules etc, so presume mine is reading the MS-CAN. How do I know if it's reading HS-CAN ? I'm guessing the engine control module (which I don't recall seeing) is probably on the HS-CAN, so that might be why I can't see a misfire count anywhere?

Has anyone seen a misfire count on an MC petrol ?
steerage250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #12
Mondaveo

Engine and transmission management is handled under the Powertrain Control Module - PCM. I expect misfire count would be available under there, but I've not looked (and I have a diesel).

Quote:
Old 10-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #13
Lecherus

Thanks for the replies, i will look into buying soon,
Lecherus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #14
nicrobell

After receiving my OBD2 adapter and downloading the Forscan software program,
I followed the instructions but it could not connect to the vehicle ECU. I tried two other software programs with similar results. The vendor is sending a replacement.
Old 26-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #15
nicrobell

Received a replacement unit and it returned the same result as the first one. I don't know if it's two faulty units or a fault with my car. As far as I can tell everything is working OK with the car. I'll try to find out some more details from the supplier.
Old 28-05-2020, 09:16 PM   #16
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

you seem to not be having a good run, I think I can help you out. It has been a while so apologies if I give you a bum steer in an area or two, my memory is only as good as the excitement at the time (of finding and fixing a problem) when I did this, and since fixing said problem it's been a while since using the adaptor.

1. You need to pair the adaptor to the phone or laptop, this has nothing to do with the app yet. So within android or windows.
2. You need to run the app and go into 'Settings' or 'Setup' something like that or the sprocket icon (now it's coming back).
3. Change the bt device from the default 'whatever' to the adaptor you've just paired, this section may also be under a 'connection' heading.
4. Save or back out and go back to the app home page and connect, it's at this stage you'll probably be asked if the device has a switch for High speed and Medium speed connections, answer that and you're good to go.

Now you should be set to connect, key on engine off and you should get some info on the vehicle and connection to various PCMs.

Put your coin in the slot, foot down on the pedal......you'reeeeee racing!

Hope it helps mate.

edit: Oh yeah if you're like me and have a problem connecting to the adaptor after pressing the power button on the adaptor itself (especially after successfully connecting to it), I found it needed a stupid procedure of removing the adaptor refitting it and turning it on/off (once or multiple times) by its power button to get the flashing sequence lights and it's good to go. Along with cycling the car keys.

Last edited by cobrin; 28-05-2020 at 09:28 PM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #17
steerage250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
1. You need to pair the adaptor to the phone or laptop, this has nothing to do with the app yet. So within android or windows.
Just a caution that this is not always true. The apps on my iPhone (and iPhones need Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) adaptors if they're going to be Bluetooth) say specifically DO NOT try and pair it with the iPhone first. And if you have tried, you need to power-cycle the iPhone before you can get it to work direct with the app.
steerage250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #18
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

It is true, because the OP has clearly stated and linked the 'BT adaptor' purchased, which is only for windows or android clearly stated on the website. Let's not add any confusion here, apple need not apply.

I didn't need any rebooting on android or windows 10, and forscan never picked up the correct device, not till I dropped down the options box only to now see it in the list to select it. Same on my laptop had to pair it to the laptop then have forscan select it from the list.

I don't know what apple do it's not the OS of choice for me because of the walls up approach, and premium sticker price of suitable quality devices.
Old 29-05-2020, 11:17 PM   #19
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had bluetooth connection problems but has
worked mostly (Android OBDLINK MX).

Codes can be deleted when ignition is turned off so I think it's handy to have the OBD2 interface always on with ignition and with auto shut down.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #20
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

Has any one gained any experience with the USB connected versions of OBD2 scanners.

I've had too much trouble with systems using Bluetooth connections and, as a result, am wary of Bluetooth interfaces if you plan on making changes.

Amazon have a USB version, see here:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Iycorish-D...0820840&sr=8-2

any information will be most appreciated.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #21
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some info here:

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6142

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1575

I'd pay a bit more and buy this one:

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-ex/...rce=obdlink_ex

for the reasons outlined in the links above.

For example:

"Also, important note about adapters with mechanical HS/MS switch: in addition to the fact it is not very convenient to switch it manually, it may be not possible to perform some operations with this type of adapter. If some operation requires a simultaneous access to both HS and MS (so FORScan needs to access some module(s) on HS CAN bus and, at the same time, other modules on MS-CAN bus), it cannot be normally executed using adapters with mechanical switch. Example: reading parameters (PIDs) in virtual module All, Module initialization subfunction in service functions "Remote keyless entry and Start"."

I think "virtual module All" refers to the Forscan feature of selecting multiple modules to display at once,

rather than having to select and view just one module at a time.

Last edited by rondeo; 31-05-2020 at 10:07 AM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2023, 12:47 PM   #22
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be taking the wheels off the car shortly and, among other things, checking brake pad thickness.

Which raises the question: Does Forscan allow access to maintenance functions, such as rear pad service mode. Howett shows the use of a "Scanner" to do this, but given the range of costs for these things I'm wondering how much I might have to consider to get the appropriate functionality.

Thanks in advance for any replies

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 21-12-2023, 08:19 AM   #23
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well some research says that FORScan does allow access to maintenance functions providing the OBD reader can simultaneously access both the HS and MS Canbus systems (thanks to Cobrin for this bit of information that not all readers, particularly the ones that use a switch, will work).

So a USB Auto reader is now on the way to Oz.

But it appears that accessing the function can be done without the use of a OBD reader via a convoluted method as detailed below:

Ford Electronic Parking Brake Mk5 Mondeo

Car needs to be on a level surface/plane. When you enter the car to start the procedure the HB will be ON.

1. Turn IGN to ON (not start)

2. Press down on the accelerator pedal and HOLD it there while you move the EPB switch down to the RELEASE position. Continue to hold the pedal down and EPB switch down in those positions, while you turn the IGN to OFF and turn back to ON within 5 seconds. Continue to hold the pedaldown and EPB switch down in those positions until the EPB indicator turns on and the Maintenance Mode displays on the message centre.

3. Turn the IGN to OFF and release the pedal and EPB switch.

4. To replace the rear brake pads, the EPB must be set in the Maintenance Mode before you retract the caliper pistons. You do NOT have to rotate the caliper piston.

Procedure to restore Electronic Parking Brake operation

Ford calls this the deactivation procedure because you are deactivating the Maintenance Mode.

1. Turn IGN to ON.

2. Press down on the accelerator pedal and HOLD it there while you move the EPB switch up to the APPLY position. Continue to hold the pedal down and EPB switch UP in those positions, while you turn the IGN to OFF and turn back to ON within 5 seconds.

3. The electronic parking brake system will apply and then release the parking brake to calibrate the proper air gap between the rear brake pads and the brake rotor.

4. Release the pedal and the EPB switch

5. Turn the key to OFF

Although this talks about a "key" if you have a push button "Start/Stop" car then use Ignition "ON"/Ignition "Off" (ie push the Start button without pressing the brake pedal) instead. Some of the feedback also indicates that the parking brake should be released before you start the process. Others that the car does not need to be on level ground for it to work.

Thanks to TrevorB at the Ford Owners Club site for the italicised quote.

Go Here:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forum...ntenance-mode/

if you want the original post.

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red