Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
inAiS

Default Mondeo? Laser? Protege?

Hello everyone.. my first post but definatly not last..
ive been searching webpages for about an hour now, trying to find the differences between the mondeo laser and protege (mazda). one thing ive noticed just from looking at them, is the mondeo looks alot like a protege, and the laser looks similar to the mondeo, minus different tail lights and the laser having a smaller engine.. so the question i ask it what is the difference? can anyone help.

i should also state, that im looking at buying my first car a mondeo Lx 95' model. i found one on trading post, and yeh, it was cheap, and looked good.

if anyone can help, id really appreciate it.

Thanks.

inAiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
Mick K.

Laser and Mazda 323 are essentially the same small car - made in Japan.

Mondeo is a medium car and is totally different, made in Eurpoe not too many were sold here. You can get them pretty cheap, but parts and expertise in this model will be a bit harder to find than for more mainstream cars. 1995 was the first year they were sold in Australia, so it may have missed out on any gradual improvements brought in over time.

Redbook says that a 1995 Mondeo LX has:

Trade in price guide* $1,300 - $2,400
National average price - private sale* $2,200 - $3,900
Price when new (RRP) $26,990

Also, if you ever want to sell, a Laser or Mazda 323 will be much easier to get rid of.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
inAiS

so u think it would be a danger to get one? i really cant see much difference between them and the lasers, besides as i noted before, they appear to have only slightly different tail lights, and motor sizes?

thankyou for that.. the one in the trading post is 3,400 mags, and a stereo.. yay or nay?

EDIT: that car that was in the trading post was sold, or taken off.. and i cant seem to find any others that looked quite like it. may have been a GLX or another model? as u can tell, i havent done much researching, i dont know where to look.

Last edited by inAiS; 14-05-2006 at 12:26 AM.
inAiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I'd stick with either the Laser or Mazda.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I would say Laser as well. I had a Laser prior to my Focus. It was an old 1990 model and personally I thought it handled quite well. Good turning circle and was zippy enough to get around town. I'd still have it actually if it wasn't written off.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I learnt to drive in a Mondeo GLX 95 model, old 2.0 Zetec engine (same as my current Focus). Was a great handling car, slightly larger than a laser, huge boot, cheap to run, very comfortable. You wouldn't really notice a world of difference between that and the laser, the Laser would be a little smaller, not feel quite as classy or have as big a boot, but might cost a little less in fuel and be cheaper to repair. As a driver's car, I'd pick the Mondeo hands down though.
Old 19-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a former Mondeo owner, I'd pick the Laser or Protege!

The Mondeo's are good to drive (but really not all that fantastic compared to a lot of other vehicles) and bigger but spare parts are scarce and cost big $$$. The engines and front suspension bushes can also have issues.