Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #3991
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Hopelessly managed self isolation system, inadequate supervision (oh yeah don’t forget The bonking), little-no training, lack of PPE. Quarantined people on walk-about... is it any surprise?

Just convene another BLM march to break the boredom !

Dan is making Palachook look like a freaking genius
7 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #3992
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post

Refer post 3890 in thread. No one agreed.

Maybe now?

Tassie has had poor leaders sure but this guy seriously, just so unimpressive. (just speaking from afar)
This user likes this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 10:53 PM   #3993
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

NSW has done less testing than VIC, but has a higher % of positive cases.

Surely it's only a matter of time before NSW finds itself in a similar, or worse situation than VIC?

QLD have done 1/3 the number of tests compared to VIC. But are matching VIC % for positive cases!

Tick, tock, tick, tock.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 11:10 PM   #3994
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Refer post 3890 in thread. No one agreed.

Maybe now?

Tassie has had poor leaders sure but this guy seriously, just so unimpressive. (just speaking from afar)
Jeez Mercury what sort of doo doo would be in if we were to rely on Rebecca and the O’byrnes to get us out of trouble
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 12:39 AM   #3995
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Jeez Mercury what sort of doo doo would be in if we were to rely on Rebecca and the O’byrnes to get us out of trouble
I went to school with her partner.

Rebecca is a beautiful woman and great at her job. Gutwein I wouldn't vote for but he's been surprisingly good.

Sure challenging, but watching Dan Andrews embarass himself on TV and Vic basically implode (again) I'm very confident.

I've met David many times. He's a good bloke.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:44 AM   #3996
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Hopelessly managed self isolation system, inadequate supervision (oh yeah don’t forget The bonking), little-no training, lack of PPE. Quarantined people on walk-about... is it any surprise?

Just convene another BLM march to break the boredom !

Mistakes were made

And...

Add into that school holidays to spread it!
Old 08-07-2020, 05:11 AM   #3997
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Nothing is quite right about it.

The greater level of fear and panic compared to the real/actual mortality rate that doesn't add up in my opinion. Not compared to other diseases WITH a vaccine available.

It's hard to point a finger at any one area.
Too bad similar drastic actions with media and government exposure aren’t directed towards real killers within society - drug abuse and dependence, suicides, depression and preventable road deaths/poor driving.

What does this entail for Victoria, 6 weeks of lockdown.... surely their hospo and retail businesses are going to be decimated? Along with many more business in other industries.

All for what, saving 80 year olds that already have a foot in the grave? **** me. There is going to be some real resentment with the younger generations when or if this massive over reaction comes to light further down the track.

Winter is here and like every year rest homes in cooler climates have old folks dropping like flies. I’m sure these deaths will be attributed to Covid.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:10 AM   #3998
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Too bad similar drastic actions with media and government exposure aren’t directed towards real killers within society - drug abuse and dependence, suicides, depression and preventable road deaths/poor driving.

What does this entail for Victoria, 6 weeks of lockdown.... surely their hospo and retail businesses are going to be decimated? Along with many more business in other industries.

All for what, saving 80 year olds that already have a foot in the grave? **** me. There is going to be some real resentment with the younger generations when or if this massive over reaction comes to light further down the track.

Winter is here and like every year rest homes in cooler climates have old folks dropping like flies. I’m sure these deaths will be attributed to Covid.
Melbourne is the countries hospitality centre, it's reputation is around food, art and culture - huge hit to business.

Hospitality is already marginal as it is hence the industry bulk dodgy practice and being a visa factory for European migrants.

The economic impact is mostly effecting under 30s so that's why the people calling the shots don't care about it's economic impact as it doesn't effect them.

Personally if I was running the show is have let it run rampant, perfect once in a lifetime opportunity to clear out the dregs of society who are a drain on the system, I'd be happy with a 20% reduction in our population, it'd solve overcrowding problems of Melbourne and Sydney that have been caused by successive failures by all the previous governments through lack of infrastructure investment and ridiculous migration scams to satisfy their 'Big Australia' fetish.

Case in point 3031/3051 USSR towers.

The people who came out on the other side (the majority) would have better quality of life.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-07-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #3999
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post

Surely it's only a matter of time before NSW finds itself in a similar, or worse situation than VIC?

QLD have done 1/3 the number of tests compared to VIC. But are matching VIC % for positive cases!

Tick, tock, tick, tock.
Fully agree with this, its just a matter of time and if NSW had half a brain they would go to particular socio-economic areas and test like mad.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #4000
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Looking at the Spanish Flu in Australia it killed 15,000 people out of a population of 5.3M in 1919

0.28% of the population.

That was with what terrible medical care they had back then.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #4001
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post

Yeah mate lets get rid of those pesky old people, i mean what have they done for society, fought wars built the country maybe gone with out so you have a roof over your head and clothed you, just wow. Maybe if you lot had just stayed home for the month not partied gone to the beach and kept out of random pointless protests you might be in a better position. Wether Covid is a thing or not your lack of respect for old people is a worry.

Last edited by five 7; 08-07-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #4002
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Personally if I was running the show is have let it run rampant, perfect once in a lifetime opportunity to clear out the dregs of society who are a drain on the system, .
Please don't do that to yourself.

3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #4003
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I went to school with her partner.

Rebecca is a beautiful woman and great at her job. Gutwein I wouldn't vote for but he's been surprisingly good.

Sure challenging, but watching Dan Andrews embarass himself on TV and Vic basically implode (again) I'm very confident.

I've met David many times. He's a good bloke.
Spoken like a true Labor red ragger!!
Old 08-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #4004
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve literally got thousands sitting in credit on “Consumer Directed Care”.

The very activities which are supposed to augment, enrich and meaningfully prolong the lives of aged people are indefinitely suspended out of a concern that it (assorted activities) may hurt them.

Talk about a paradox, and care recipients have to keep paying or forfeit the package plus the government portion of the credit - with a waiting list to resumption of another package then in multiple years.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:37 AM   #4005
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post

Tick, tock, tick, tock.
Agree, but all capital the cities, all those protests didn't cause one outbreak. come on.
Would make anybody start to believe it is a hoax if that wasn't the case.

2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #4006
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I'm not wasting my breath on smoo and his attitude toward the elderly - I'm sure the Karma bus will take care of that in time.

I actually think Daniel Andrews has done a decent job under trying circumstances and I'm far from being a supporter. He has always addressed the media and issues calmly and even though the quarantine fiasco has been almost as bad as the NSW Health Department handling of the Ruby Princess (just in case those in NSW having a dig have forgotten) the leader of the party can't be held responsible for every public service balls up otherwise we'd be swapping them on a daily basis.

Below is the comparison of total active case rates per 100k of population for NSW and Victoria over the last 3 months.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #4007
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I actually think Daniel Andrews has done a decent job under trying circumstances and I'm far from being a supporter. He has always addressed the media and issues calmly and even though the quarantine fiasco has been almost as bad as the NSW Health Department handling of the Ruby Princess (just in case those in NSW having a dig have forgotten) the leader of the party can't be held responsible for every public service balls up otherwise we'd be swapping them on a daily basis.
I think he did to, it's the people doing the wrong thing who have stuffed it up for Melbourne.

7 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #4008
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

OMG - some of the comments towards older gen is just pure selfishness and down right so wrong no wonder society is going down the toilet.
Every life matters (not just black) using the slogan.
I suppose you people have NO regard for your own older parents/grand parents/uncles/aunties.
Pathetic, think before you post and hear hear Russellw, Karma always makes its presence sooner or later.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 08-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #4009
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I think he did to, it's the people doing the wrong thing who have stuffed it up for Melbourne.
Bingo !!!
It’s amazing how self Entitled some of us are. Total lack of accountability, spill the milk and then cry for someone else to clean it up..... and of course blame everyone else but ourselves.
COVID-19 is a wake up call on how we all behave under extreme circumstances. Govts, social groups, employers, general public. There has been a lot of self serving and self entitled ugliness exposed. Sad to see how irresponsible and ****e parts of our community have become. All for one and ONE for ONE...

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 08-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #4010
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I'm not wasting my breath on smoo and his attitude toward the elderly - I'm sure the Karma bus will take care of that in time.

Below is the comparison of total active case rates per 100k of population for NSW and Victoria over the last 3 months.
Disagree. This fiasco pretty much lies with Dan Andrews screw ups. First he was too ****weak in stopping the protests. He was saying on the radio this morning he told people it wasn't a good idea to do it, but if he had of gone in with a tough stance of we are banning anyone from protesting, and anyone caught will face the consequences, then there was a fair chance it wouldn't have happened. His weak approach basically emboldened the protesters because they knew they would get away with it.

Then the hotel security debacle also falls on him. He was offered ADF personnel to do security, but he refused that and instead hired untrained, dodgy private security who couldn't have possibly done a worse job. And even now, Dan refuses to say why he made this decision. Just used weasel words about how there is an enquiry into it now ie. drag that on for months and bury the outcome later on, to remove himself from blame.

The protests also had a physcological effect on the rest of the population, who saw what was going on and just said stuff it, why bother sitting at home in isolation when it's ok to attend mass gatherings which the government allowed.

It starts at the top, and he has made some stupid mistakes that have basically caused the current problems. And yes, he can and will be held to account for his mistakes. The media is already turning on him.
5 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #4011
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

169 new cases for Australia (mostly in Victoria) and 0 deaths so CMR drops to 1.207% and active cases rise to 1,194 (13.6%). Queensland recorded its first case in 11 days.

2 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.432% and active cases remain at 22.

The UK recorded 581 new cases and 155 deaths yesterday so the CMR rises to 15.502%.

Just under 50k new cases in the USA yesterday and 378 deaths sees CMR down to 4.374% and active cases down to 52.0% but the raw numbers are rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global new cases were the 2nd highest recorded;
Qatar passes 100k cases;
Brazil completes 4M, India 10M and the USA 38M tests;
Africa passes 500k and Europe 2.5M cases;
Africa records a new daily high of 17,342 cases;

Venezuela (419), Algeria (475) - for the 6th day in a row; Venezuela (661), Israel (1,473), Argentina (2,979) and Colombia (4,213) recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #4012
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it is the Footy Gods punishing VicGovCo, the AFL VFL and Eddie for doing that 50-year MCG grand final deal where no other state or interstate team knew it was being negotiated until after it was signed and announced.

Now they are looking at no footy in Vic, and looking at contingencies in case the GF would be played in front of 0 fans at the G
Old 08-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #4013
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just wondering if anyone wants to form a Victorian curling or bobsled team, so we can be safely shipped away to train in sunny Perth or QLD? lol @ sports
Old 08-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #4014
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It starts at the top, and he has made some stupid mistakes that have basically caused the current problems. And yes, he can and will be held to account for his mistakes. The media is already turning on him.
You are entitled to your view but the last sentence sums it up doesn't it? I listened to Karl Stefanovic ripping in to Andrews this morning and it's a sad reflection on our society that a nobody who doesn't even have the credentials to be called a journalist (presenter or talking head being more accurate) has a platform from which he can help shape public opinion and pour scorn on someone else.

Under the old 'Westminster' rules you'd have been correct in saying that the titular 'head' should take responsibility for the actions of those below but the reality these days is (at worst) that would be the minister responsible for the actual department involved and (in practice) even that rarely happens.

Unless, of course, you'd like a dictatorship in which case then you'd be right.

It doesn't matter what you are running these days; a company, a State or an entire country.You take advice from those around you on policy and process decisions and then devolve responsibility for implementation of those to the people who are employed for their expertise. Of course, where that tends to fail in the (largely) protected public service is that it's a lot easier to hide not just incompetence but the individuals practising it.

I'm not saying that all the decisions even at the policy level have been right but nor are they as easy as they seem from the cheap seats. As you rightly pointed out the 'advice' to not ban the BLM protests was controversial at best although it's a balancing act when you know that (1) they are going to go ahead anyway and (2) your only option as a Government is to send in the police to arrest what could well have been 30k people. I can absolutely guarantee what public opinion (well to be accurate the media opinion) would have been if we'd seen an all-in stoush between protesters and police. Basically, it's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The quarantine fiasco is a different case. While the implementation got shunted off to some obscure Government department that we'd mostly never heard of, I'm sure the mandate came down to them with some provisos like (1) you can't use the police (2) it's got to be cheap given that we are paying for it and (3) it must be in situ yesterday. None of which is usually a great recipe for good decision making.

Let's not forget that NSW also used private security guards to police their hotel quarantine and that's also presently under scrutiny as well after their case numbers have started to climb again.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 08-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #4015
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To any Victorian members affected by this latest recurrence, keep your chins up.
As difficult as it may seem, it shouldn't be forever.
6 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #4016
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Personally I have found it a "breath of fresh air"(Covid free!), the way our political leaders have come together to deal with the pandemic in a bipartisan manner. Who would have thought a year ago, witnessing how tribal politics was becoming in this country(around the world), that our leaders state and federal would be meeting regularly and agreeing with each other on the best way forward for the country as a whole. The PM and Premiers of all stripes standing next to each other at press conferences to show support.

It has been pointed out from the beginning; we are all in this together, it's not over until we have a vaccine, eradication is very difficult/impossible (look at NZ), infection numbers would rise once lock down measures were relaxed.

Melbourne has again taken a bullet for the rest of the country. This is what can happen when there is a breach in hygiene protocols at quarantine hotels at the same time restrictions are relaxed. Other states are now restricting the number of daily arrivals from overseas. The public in the rest of Australian need to look at Melbourne and continue with; hand washing, social distancing and all the other measures asked of them to save them from the situation we find ourselves in Melbourne.

Last edited by Work Horse; 08-07-2020 at 12:11 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 12:12 PM   #4017
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey
I always liked 'Victoria - Garden State', everything since seems just ego.
I'll never forget the 90's: On the move...

To queensland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2
You missed the point. Of course high density is a factor, Hong Kong overcame this by having a 99% compliance with mask wearing. If they managed to do it why couldn't other places? They didn't even have to wait for their gov to tell them what to do, they worked it out for themselves.
Now I've no idea what you are talking about. I said HD living is a factor and I also said (in several posts) that a disobedient population was a factor. Can you explain to me exactly what you think I'm wrong about ?

If this sounds like an attack it isn't meant to. I'm confused...

Those of you rubbing your hands together gleefully waiting for us old and sick to die off just remember viruses mutate. In 1918 the first wave only killed a few, then the second wave killed a lot of people and quickly. It was helped by public apathy after the first round "fizzled". I guess the young and fit then thought they were invincible, until they weren't...

As for bubonic plague it's never gone away. Most people in Europe and of European descent have genetic resistance to it, that's the only reason we don't have regular plagues. The Chinese seem not to be so lucky, but it's contained by rapid responses.

No doubt some of you are acquainted with the fate of the Native Americans just prior to colonisation.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #4018
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Spoken like a true Labor red ragger!!
Ha......i'm not really. Politics not my go!
Old 08-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #4019
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont know if its possible to embed tweets in here, but I wanted to share Eric Bana's comment from yesterday - funny guy
5 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #4020
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually be trying to cross the Vic/NSW border but apparently business is booming for the police manning the crossings if media reports are anything to go by.

The list of permitted exemptions is very small so it's not going to be an easy thing for however long this restriction lasts - at least 14 days currently.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Closed Thread