Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #31
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Default Re: Automotive manufacturing could return to Australia, Robyn Denholm claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Automotive Manufacturing is already here.
Why hasn't everybody put down a deposit yet?
https://www.ace-ev.com.au/

If we pass the hat 'round, we can buy Cav one.

Ute tragic.
anobserver is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #32
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default Re: Automotive manufacturing could return to Australia, Robyn Denholm claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Eventually, when the number of people employed digging up the Pilbara exceeds the population of Sydney......
well said! and to add, i question if they have the ability or will to do these things, the boys will look after themselves, boys club.
sorry but i have a very negative view of our "politicians"
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #33
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Eventually, when the number of people employed digging up the Pilbara exceeds the population of Sydney, governments will be forced to start thinking about what else this country can do besides digging itself up. Either that, or they will just sell WA to the Chinese.
We SHOULD be making steel and steel products. We SHOULD be making copper, and electric motors. We SHOULD be making batteries.
Making ships, trains, and cars, is a logical extension

However the biggest challenge facing Australia, is the lack of energy devoted to pulling our politicians' heads out of their *****. Until me can achieve that, nothing is going to change.
And I imagine I'll be long dead before that happens.
When people start purchasing local manufactured goods instead of purchasing cheap inferior imports then Australia might once again have a viable manufacturing industry but in the meantime we are our own worse enemy.

BTW I'm working in the Steel manufacturing Industry and we are constantly struggling to stay afloat economically due to customers constantly wanting to import cheaper steel.
Not all government fault at times.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #34
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
When people start purchasing local manufactured goods instead of purchasing cheap inferior imports then Australia might once again have a viable manufacturing industry but in the meantime we are our own worse enemy.

BTW I'm working in the Steel manufacturing Industry and we are constantly struggling to stay afloat economically due to customers constantly wanting to import cheaper steel.
Not all government fault at times.
Yeah and the problem with the steel industry is that the miners somehow thought it was a great short term earner.No matter that it gets sold for a few dollars a tonne then we can buy it back next month for a few hundred dollars a tonne.Same thing with the timber industry,almost give it away so it can be bought back as cheap,rubbish furniture.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #35
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i worked on the darling harbor (sydney) expansion project some years back, as boilermaker/welder. there was hundreds of tons of fabricated steel imported from china, it was all chinese. imo the govco sets a very poor example. whats wrong using local industry?
4 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #36
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does this count

https://www.caradvice.com.au/893706/...h-700-million/
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I'm going to park these two clips here..

And yes Franco there is no plans to stop building the K200's in Australia.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #38
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah and the problem with the steel industry is that the miners somehow thought it was a great short term earner.No matter that it gets sold for a few dollars a tonne then we can buy it back next month for a few hundred dollars a tonne.Same thing with the timber industry,almost give it away so it can be bought back as cheap,rubbish furniture.
You have got it all wrong as you living in the past, everything is global on pricing, the only problem is we exporting good quality and purchasing import **** quality.

Do you remember when the East link freeway was built and the steel gantry's for signs were reported to be cracking and breaking from Chinese imports.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Aussie companies who make components for KTA.

Old 15-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #40
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post

Do you remember when the East link freeway was built and the steel gantry's for signs were reported to be cracking and breaking from Chinese imports.
thats cause chinese can,t weld for ****. ive heard many times in the structural steel business that imported chinese structural steel has faulty welds, these welds are cut out in Australia , and then rewelded to pass the welding specification.
Old 15-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #41
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the problem that Chinese welders can’t weld or is it that Chinese steel is of inferior quality and breaks beside the weld.Some manufacturers here will not use Chinese steel,instead paying a higher price for Australian made.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 06:53 PM   #42
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We were doomed from the time the over powerful unions priced us out of the world labour market.Can not compete with labour rates at a maximum half Aust rates.Japan moved their motor manufacturing plants for that exact same reason.
well said. i forwarded this to your boss. He said he will have your new contract ready in the morning
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #43
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Either that, or they will just sell WA to the Chinese...
no need to. they are just going to come and take it.
they already own the ports soo they can just turn them off and sail their battle ships in
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #44
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
well said. i forwarded this to your boss. He said he will have your new contract ready in the morning
Yep ready to go.Someone has to be the leader
Old 15-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #45
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Is the problem that Chinese welders can’t weld or is it that Chinese steel is of inferior quality and breaks beside the weld.Some manufacturers here will not use Chinese steel,instead paying a higher price for Australian made.
i can,t comment on the steel, there welding is poor. if there is a break next to the weld, that is a weld fault. its called cracking in the "heat affected zone" or a fatigue crack which is a design fault.
Old 15-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Thats what everyone else said about their products they manufactured in Australia, until they didn't
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #47
xb74_black

I hate to get all academic on the forum, but the first roll back of tariffs occurred in the early 70's when Whitlam ended preferential commonwealth tariffs (remember pommy cars?) and eased import tariffs (remember the flood of jap cars?). This was to lower the cost of living for the average person.

Destroying local manufacture probably wasnt envisaged by the proponents of the policy. It occurred across all sectors from clothes, footwear, light industry.

Ultimately we decided what we spend our money on. The majority choose foreign imports.
xb74_black is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #48
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb74_black View Post
I hate to get all academic on the forum, but the first roll back of tariffs occurred in the early 70's when Whitlam ended preferential commonwealth tariffs (remember pommy cars?) and eased import tariffs (remember the flood of jap cars?). This was to lower the cost of living for the average person.

Destroying local manufacture probably wasnt envisaged by the proponents of the policy. It occurred across all sectors from clothes, footwear, light industry.

Ultimately we decided what we spend our money on. The majority choose foreign imports.

You're showing Your age there mate... I Too remember That.
However Most Blokes (or Leesa)Here probably weren't even Born Then...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #49
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If we could harness the massive power of belief that we can't do it, I am sure we are capable of anything.

Tony Robbins type stuff - in reverse.
Old 16-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #50
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
no need to. they are just going to come and take it.
they already own the ports soo they can just turn them off and sail their battle ships in
not sure if serious

recommend history of battleships on youtube
Old 17-06-2021, 06:11 AM   #51
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
I'm going to park these two clips here..

Don't forget Volvo in Queensland, although I am not sure they do or use much Aussie 'manufacturing', but the trucks are assembled there
Old 17-06-2021, 06:14 AM   #52
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Aussie companies who make components for KTA.

they have used the same leather interior supplier since they started making trucks here in the 1970's

They only use women to install the interiors - why? because of their eye for detail

I used to take logistics cadets for tours at their plant in Bayswater
Old 17-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #53
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
If we could harness the massive power of belief that we can't do it, I am sure we are capable of anything.

Tony Robbins type stuff - in reverse.
So true, most consumers here just gave up for a cheaper short term deal.

Going to be fun in the future when Australia will have to battle for water rights and farming land but hey at least we can have cheap motoring and housing investments now.

3 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2021, 07:49 AM   #54
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Just wondering how Oliver boots (now off my list of workwear) are going after manufacturing boots here for 132 years, closing up manufacturing in Ballarat at the end of 2019 and going offshore just before the Pandemic.

I reckon that was a good move.

Old 17-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #55
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Don't forget Volvo in Queensland, although I am not sure they do or use much Aussie 'manufacturing', but the trucks are assembled there
Don't forget IVECO & the venerable ACCO, There's also a couple of Models of the STRALIS range assembled here as Well...

My Money's on IVECO being the First to hoist the White Flag & cease local Production..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #56
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Don't forget IVECO & the venerable ACCO, There's also a couple of Models of the STRALIS range assembled here as Well...

My Money's on IVECO being the First to hoist the White Flag & cease local Production..
They do sell alot of motorhome cab/chassis but don't see much bigger stuff besides G.T ACCOs.

Old 17-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #57
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iveco could probably build a F150 sized competitor if they tried.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2021, 11:40 PM   #58
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
even if we could invest in mega factories to build the volumes, we'd need to improve our port handling facilities significantly to push that many cars onto that many transporter boats. Not saying it can't be done but the the recent governments of both sides reluctance to spend any money on real infrastructure improvements makes me doubt the will
You would assume considering what we import compared to export that there would be many near empty ships leaving our ports?

Would be a good angle to offer low cost exporting as a sweetener?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2021, 11:48 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

IVECO has massively downscaled it's capabilities, shell of its former self.

They don't even have value adding type work, they rely on third parties they contract to for their modified platforms, think garbage trucks etc.

Isuzu Australia has the capability of second stage manufacturing in house to an OE standard.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #60
Trevor 57
is now there