Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-06-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default VIC High capacity metro trains project using slave labour suppliers

While not specifically related to cars it's still transport related and is related to local supply chain issues.

This is an interesting one, what happens is they have 'Australian content' requirements but they'll specify requirements specifically that they know the local suppliers can't meet, which then they go sourcing everything from China.

We have train manufacturing capabilities in Melbourne and a fully fledged supply chain supporting the industry in Australia but they decided to source from China anyway, even after knowing they were using slave labour.

Which is ironic as everyone makes you sign ethical supply agreement specifically forbidding us from supplying goods from suppliers using slave labour but I guess it depends on who you are.

What's your thoughts? Would you knowingly purchase from a company you know is using slave labour?

Quote:
Victoria continued to use Uighur labour firm to avoid delays on $2.4b rail project

Victoria’s Transport department advised the Andrews government to continue with the purchase of train parts from a Chinese supplier linked to exploited Uighur workers because it would have cost too much to find a different contractor on the $2.4 billion train project.

Documents obtained under freedom of information laws show department officials told transport ministers Jacinta Allan and Ben Carroll they should continue with their purchases despite the involvement of Chinese state-owned company KTK Group, which was using scores of Muslim Uighur workers sourced through a Chinese government program.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...14-p580x7.html
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: VIC High capacity metro trains project using slave labour suppliers

Does Nike count?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #3
slowsnake
Banned

The old rail workshops in Midland Perth are due to reopen apparently, the train shells are being imported, not from China, but from India!
But they will be fitted out here in Perth...

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
While not specifically related to cars it's still transport related and is related to local supply chain issues.

This is an interesting one, what happens is they have 'Australian content' requirements but they'll specify requirements specifically that they know the local suppliers can't meet, which then they go sourcing everything from China.

We have train manufacturing capabilities in Melbourne and a fully fledged supply chain supporting the industry in Australia but they decided to source from China anyway, even after knowing they were using slave labour.

Which is ironic as everyone makes you sign ethical supply agreement specifically forbidding us from supplying goods from suppliers using slave labour but I guess it depends on who you are.

What's your thoughts? Would you knowingly purchase from a company you know is using slave labour?

I absolutely agree with you but I would not say Slave market, that part is bit emotive.

Yes we quite capable of manufacturing our trains here since we did it in the past, I use to work for the railways back in the day.
Our typical governments just don't want to invest all our money in Australia.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
The old rail workshops in Midland Perth are due to reopen apparently, the train shells are being imported, not from China, but from India!
But they will be fitted out here in Perth...

Cheers King Billy
I believe the new rail workshop is 2 km down the road at the site of the old grain silo near Roe Hwy & Gt Eastern Hwy

It's a shame the old workshop shut down, thousands of skilled tradesmen came out of there
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare ss View Post
I believe the new rail workshop is 2 km down the road at the site of the old grain silo near Roe Hwy & Gt Eastern Hwy

It's a shame the old workshop shut down, thousands of skilled tradesmen came out of there
Parts of it have been retained, in fact the Police Dept refurbished one great big workshop, kept most of the original building and gutted the inside.
This was turned into heaps of new office space and there are still pieces of original machinery scattered within the building on display painted in vibrant colours.
The architect one an award for design.
Off topic a bit, sorry.

My answer to OP is no I wouldn't if possible. But nearly everything I buy from Bunnings comes from China, so I don't have much choice.
Unfortunately the manufacturing business in Oz has shot itself in the foot by paying it's workers a decent wage which is passed onto the consumer.
Whereas some poor guy in China with nothing is prepared to work for $1 a day, no unions there.
Old 15-06-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Modern Slavery Act is meant to safeguard consumers from buying goods and using services linked to exploited workforce.

Entities that trade over a certain value, and I assume that also means government, need to satisfy themselves that their supply chain does not involve use of slave labour or exploited workers. I have worked for several companies, here and overseas, that have sent qualified auditors onsite to conduct reviews. The legislation is still a bit wishy washy here, and needs to be tightened up with more mandate IMHO. In comparison, it is taken extremely seriously in the UK, where the penalties are quite severe.

Your obligation isn't just on your immediate supplier either, but also on the suppliers that your suppliers use. The thing is, it needs to be evidence based, rather than relying on heresay or reports from The Age or ASPI, all which have no authority within the Act. This particular article points to NSW and QLD transport department using the same supplier, but doesn't indicate if they found any wrong doing.

If you think an entity has contravened the act, you can always report it to the minister.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #8
slowsnake
Banned

It seems funny talking about slave acts and cheap products flooding the Australian markets.
But that's consumerism for you, we all want cheap and we got cheap, I doubt too many folk thought about the cost to the poor overseas workers.

But I am a big fan of rights for Australian workers, and that's why I was a union member, but that was the bad old days, for me it was the 70's, but I was not a fan of "closed shops" that's still going on now I think, but may have changed under the Howard Government.

On principle I will not purchase any GE products!...why?...well they are/were the biggest manufacturer of land mines in the World!

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2021, 10:43 AM   #9
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Whereas some poor guy in China with nothing is prepared to work for $1 a day, no unions there.
$1 a day might buy them 3 meals a day and pay for their living expenses

The modern slavery act doesn't set a dollar figure. I should have paid more attention in training, but I think its something to do with having to work "against your will" or where there is "coercion" involved e.g. being forced to work to pay off debt.......gees, come to think of it, isn't that all of us with a mortgage?
Old 16-06-2021, 10:46 AM   #10
hayseed

Go Fruit/Vegetable Picking here in Australia, & tell us how that Works out...

All because Colesworth want to drive Prices Down down...!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #11
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Go Fruit/Vegetable Picking here in Australia, & tell us how that Works out...

All because Colesworth want to drive Prices Down down...!
I had wondered about this very specific industry. So apparently if you, as a back packer, agree to work 18 hour days and get paid in meals and accomodation and have your working holiday visa extended, then the act hasn't been breached, and its "ok". I think.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #12
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

no i wouldn,t.

we can make trains ships etc,etc. why send overseas? how about those Parramatta river ferry's that nsw state govco got built in india, when the ferry goes under a bridge, the top floor travelers must vacate to the lower level, because they can,t safely fit under the bridge. and the problems with the tangra trains, collins submarine. all made overseas.

govco are happy to give work to other country's, and **** the aussie worker.

i worked a the fabrication workshop that was partitioned off, in one side was us and the other was 457 asian visa workers, doing our jobs.

but the tafe system is a disaster imo.

what a horrible mess and a can of worms.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
no i wouldn,t.

we can make trains ships etc,etc. why send overseas? how about those Parramatta river ferry's that nsw state govco got built in india, when the ferry goes under a bridge, the top floor travelers must vacate to the lower level, because they can,t safely fit under the bridge. and the problems with the tangra trains, collins submarine. all made overseas.

govco are happy to give work to other country's, and **** the aussie worker.

i worked a the fabrication workshop that was partitioned off, in one side was us and the other was 457 asian visa workers, doing our jobs.

but the tafe system is a disaster imo.

what a horrible mess and a can of worms.
Slightly off topic but the best one is the Strike force fighter jets named Lightning that can not fly in a thunderstorm. US built I believe.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 06:12 PM   #14
zilo
BANNED

John Holland........... build most of the train networks, tunnelling operations and a whole lot more diversified stuff like West gate bridges...rail maintenance...mining operations...

They were owned by Janet Holmes a Court and Leighton Holdings.

In 2014 they became 100.00% owned by the Chinese Government.

All profits (which in large civil construction is usually 13-15%) go straight to the Chinese communist govt.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
John Holland........... build most of the train networks, tunnelling operations and a whole lot more diversified stuff like West gate bridges...rail maintenance...mining operations...

They were owned by Janet Holmes a Court and Leighton Holdings.

In 2014 they became 100.00% owned by the Chinese Government.

All profits (which in large civil construction is usually 13-15%) go straight to the Chinese communist govt.
Yes and now a major contractor for ARTC (commonwealth owned) bulding the inland rail route.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post