Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-05-2021, 09:15 AM   #1441
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Get a big bag of popcorn and sit back...the blood letting will begin soon enough.
A few places I've saved were passed in this weekend and now for sale by negotiation.

I agree with you. Last 3 months the media was buy buy buy 20% increase this year, get in while you can...

Now its about how many people are going to suffer from mortgage stress etc.

I've now changed my tact. I was attending several open houses each week looking for something semi decent with 3br and double garage circa $650-750k but it was always going to be temporary till I found another decent block or a house I really liked but then that middle section of the market is overheated and I'm dealing with first home buyers etc.

And then I would need to refinance to access my funds and rent it out...

Now I'm looking at the lower end of the market, 2br unit with garage between $320-360k as that bracket didn't go crazy and leave the rest in the bank ready to go when needed.

Easier to rent out after for 5% return, easier to refinance and should the market drop my losses would be minimal.

Was considering renting but don't see the point seeing I've got the cash and the stamp duty is around the same cost as a years rent. The way I see it after 12 months I would be ahead compared to renting.

I put in several generous offers in the past 2 weeks and not even a reply to negotiate... let's see what they go for at auction..

As for real estate agents... nothing ever changes. They should be charged for blatantly mis representing properties. So much wasted time going to places, lining up, signing in, taking shoes off only to walk out 30 seconds later ****ed off and mumbling... NOT AGAIN...

Part of the game I guess...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2021, 11:07 PM   #1442
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Get a big bag of popcorn and sit back...the blood letting will begin soon enough.
Two years interest rates to go up in USA. Three years to four in Australia interst rates will rise. Hate to have a mortgage of a lazy $500,000 then.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #1443
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Two years interest rates to go up in USA. Three years to four in Australia interst rates will rise. Hate to have a mortgage of a lazy $500,000 then.
Where are you hearing this? Management in our organisation is also predicting the same thing. We operate all over the world, and management in the US are also preparing for a rise within 2 years. Hmmmmm

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2021, 07:54 PM   #1444
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Where are you hearing this? Management in our organisation is also predicting the same thing. We operate all over the world, and management in the US are also preparing for a rise within 2 years. Hmmmmm
Pretty well documented. Things are going too well for them to drop any further. Only way is up.

I think the of dumping of mortgage stressed properties will start in 2-3 years. Once borders open most will pull any surplus funds to jump on a plane overseas based on the assumption that rates will stay low forever and that the government will bail them out should they screw up.

I wonder what has happened to our birth rate during this time??

Having said that, anyone who bought well over and above reserve would have bridged the difference themselves so their loan would be roughly based on market value.

Got 2 inspections tomorrow.... hopefully I find something soon.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2021, 12:41 AM   #1445
zilo
BANNED

It's not that houses are going up in price it is the fact that money is losing it's value due to quantitative easing....aka.. governments are all printing money.

It's a way of disguising inflation, no wage increases, rising commodity prices....Stagflation.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2021, 05:16 AM   #1446
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I often wonder if another country is helping us there, by printing yet more of our money without being asked to. Quite kind and charitable of them, really.

And before a government-of-the-day admits overt “failure” to contain the over-enthusiastic efforts of mortgagees they will likely allow a range of debt softeners; I expect new titling laws permitting separate titles on granny flats, tiny minimum block sizes mandated nationally, sales of parks, cemeteries and other reserves for redevelopment, even conversions of ownership to 99 year leases with more protections than a regular lease. This latter point in conjunction with retained enthusiasm for selling our assets to overseas interests will allow the “Great Aussie Dream” to malinger a while yet.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2021, 10:38 AM   #1447
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

CGT question, as we’re looking at buying to demolish, develop a duplex and sell within two years. A rough sketch is:

Purchase: $2.5M
Development costs $750K
Interest $200K
Other income in the period to settlement $350K
Projected gross return $4M (settled by 30 month mark)

Do the development costs offset the capital gain, or are they borne by the developer? I would assume the former, but cannot see a clear answer.

Note: I’ve scrutinised a number of similar projects from purchase to completion/sale in the subject area and am reasonably confident (conservative) with final sale pricing.
Old 21-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #1448
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
CGT question, as we’re looking at buying to demolish, develop a duplex and sell within two years. A rough sketch is:

Development costs $750K
Interest $200K

Do the development costs offset the capital gain, or are they borne by the developer? I would assume the former, but cannot see a clear answer.

Note: I’ve scrutinised a number of similar projects from purchase to completion/sale in the subject area and am reasonably confident (conservative) with final sale pricing.
I think you may need to consult your accountant for those answers. They can usually find the legalities with this.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2021, 09:54 PM   #1449
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
I think you may need to consult your accountant for those answers. They can usually find the legalities with this.
There’s more than one accountant on the forum, and more than one member who has subdivided for a profit. I’m surprised anonymous opinions are so thin on the ground.
Old 21-06-2021, 10:32 PM   #1450
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There’s more than one accountant on the forum, and more than one member who has subdivided for a profit. I’m surprised anonymous opinions are so thin on the ground.
I don't want to give you the wrong advice. I did one about 15 years ago. I think the development cost was capitalised, but its so long ago I can't be sure.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #1451
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
I'm being presumptuous but it could be because they usually get paid for offering financial advice like this so they prefer not to comment. I could be wrong.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2021, 12:42 AM   #1452
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Development costs $750K
Interest $200K

I know where you can get the exact answer to that question in a legally binding, formal way.....

Ring the ATO.....

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2021, 06:53 AM   #1453
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I'm being presumptuous but it could be because they usually get paid for offering financial advice like this so they prefer not to comment. I could be wrong.
You're not wrong.

Have a look here.

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/capit...r-real-estate/
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #1454
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Cheers, it’s interesting to note that my example is - to my inspection of Sydney - far from unusual, yet the ATO uses much smaller example. The reason I put actual numbers in, was in case it put me into a category that begat certain different strictures.

Interesting to note, too, that on a forum like HAMB, if you’ve got runs on the board there are all kinds of informed inputs forthcoming. People will disqualify their opinion as a legal precaution but it’s often on point because their credentials are current. (I only visit there for the old school tech, the politics don’t appeal.)
Old 23-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #1455
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do people find to be the best estimate on value of a property? They vary wildly.

Real estate website estimates?

Rates notice estimates?

Bank valuations?

Agent appraisals?

Rides (past and present)

Old 23-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #1456
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

If possible, look at nearby auction results of similar properties first. I’ve found agents to be cagey at best, veering towards covert. If a sale has done well, they usually trumpet the price loudly.
Old 23-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #1457
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If possible, look at nearby auction results of similar properties first. I’ve found agents to be cagey at best, veering towards covert. If a sale has done well, they usually trumpet the price loudly.
Real estate website estimates do use nearby sales and attributes as a guide. Must be some sort of algorithm that does the calculation. I found them to be almost on par with what some of the agents are claiming, but WELL above bank valuations and what is on rates notice. So hard to gauge what is sensible.

Rides (past and present)

Old 23-06-2021, 05:16 PM   #1458
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Every time I’ve compared with the realty websites, they seem quite conservative against hammer fall. I generally don’t go to auctions as they’re on Saturdays but wait for the “sold” sticker to go up.
Old 23-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #1459
nstg8a

We are currently going through a forced sale thanks to qld govt, and we have to get our house valued for that.

They suggest not using real estate agent style valuations as they tend to be unrealistic.

FYI, the valuators they suggest cost $3000-4000….
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #1460
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
We are currently going through a forced sale thanks to qld govt, and we have to get our house valued for that.

They suggest not using real estate agent style valuations as they tend to be unrealistic.

FYI, the valuators they suggest cost $3000-4000….
Who is "they"?
Old 23-06-2021, 09:48 PM   #1461
Trendseeker

This website gives a reasonably good indication of the market price for property.

https://www.propertyvalue.com.au/
Old 23-06-2021, 09:59 PM   #1462
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Who is "they"?

The govt officials that came and served us with “notice to resume” papers.
Old 23-06-2021, 10:02 PM   #1463
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
The govt officials that came and served us with “notice to resume” papers.
Gee, I wonder why Gov officials want you to use their recommended valuers and not an agents
Old 23-06-2021, 10:08 PM   #1464
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Gee, I wonder why Gov officials want you to use their recommended valuers and not an agents

Jobs for the boys… I wouldn’t surprised if they get kickbacks from the valuers.
I know at least three of our neighbors are using the same valuer. $12000-16000 for a days work is pretty decent.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 01:26 AM   #1465
sr71

^Collusion time. Control who benefits from the kickbacks! You! Offer a share of the spoils. For every extra $100k the valuer increases property value by, give them $10k.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #1466
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
This website gives a reasonably good indication of the market price for property.

I’ve punched in a few around my area and it’s clocking up to a million low. There’s one for sale with their estimate at $1.8M right beside a near-identical block that sold for $2.4M in April.
Old 24-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #1467
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post

Seems to be on par with bank valuation figures i.e. lower scale.

Rides (past and present)

Old 24-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #1468
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I wish they could be bought at some of those “valuations”.
Old 24-06-2021, 10:05 PM   #1469
Trendseeker

Quote:
I’ve punched in a few around my area and it’s clocking up to a million low. There’s one for sale with their estimate at $1.8M right beside a near-identical block that sold for $2.4M in April.
I often used that site few months ago when my daughter and son-in-law we’re looking to buy a house. It was valuing properties a bit low then in comparison to the sold price at every auction they were interested in.

However the prices they were achieving at auctions were a lot higher than the agent estimated (not surprisingly) and incrementally higher than similar places sold only a few weeks before. Prices were jumping $10K every week or two. I didn’t see the margins you’ve mentioned when I was looking, but it seems the algorithm needs some tweaking.
Old 24-06-2021, 11:37 PM   #1470
blueoval
Critical Thinker

with SA's current market trend, I have heard homes are going for 50-60k above asking price in some areas. Which is great if you're selling and buying a cheaper house. It sucks the big one if you are trying to put a foot in the market.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont