Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > Project Builds (non Car)

Project Builds (non Car) Here is an area where you can show / discuss other non car builds be they bikes, caravans, boats, BBQ's or whatever.

Old 30-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Woodworking tools

That is ambitious, cabinet scraper might have been another approach!

Get the iron sharper than sharp, you can cross the grain at 45-ish degrees then, provided its not rising at you.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
That is ambitious, cabinet scraper might have been another approach!
Ambitious or naive?
Quote:
Get the iron sharper than sharp, you can cross the grain at 45-ish degrees then, provided its not rising at you.

I make a near perfect pass down a section of the table, but unfortunately the plane strays on to the next board with the grain running the other way.
Old 30-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s a problem (picking up the grain) that’s worse with a short plane. Is your iron super sharp?

A torture board or speed file will allow cheating, you can subtly dress down the torn grain area in a work zone of a foot or more, and then scrape along the grain to remove sanding scratches. A properly sharpened cabinet scraper will deal with rising grain.

I don’t see it as naïveté to try your approach, it’s just the learning curve.
Old 30-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
It’s a problem (picking up the grain) that’s worse with a short plane. Is your iron super sharp?
Yes scarey sharp, I can shave the hairs off my arm or cut my finger if I go near it without gloves!
Quote:
A torture board or speed file will allow cheating, you can subtly dress down the torn grain area in a work zone of a foot or more, and then scrape along the grain to remove sanding scratches. A properly sharpened cabinet scraper will deal with rising grain.
It is not in the spirit of this thread, but I feel it is time for the belt sander!

Quote:
I don’t see it as naïveté to try your approach, it’s just the learning curve.
I have spent many many hours on the back of this plane, and yes it has been a fun learning curve!
Old 30-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It might sound odd, but try lightly planing at 90° to the problem area. Your shaving (per iron depth) should be one ply of tissue thick.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
nitro50th

Woodwork and owning a car are one and the same, You cant stop buying parts or tools!!

I have enjoyed working with wood for a few years and have accumulated lots of tools, especially clamps, planes and chisels. Bloody clamps, I have way too many.

I also have some tools from my father and grandfather, which are my pride and joy. I love that I can make something using a tool that my father and grandfather have also used in years gone by.

I mostly enjoy making boxes with various timbers. Here are the last ones I made, the same box using different species of wood. The Walnut box being my favorite.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
05 BF XR6
10 FG XR50

Present:
81 XD Falcon 351.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Tidy work! I like the tapering bevels.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2021, 11:21 PM   #8
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro50th View Post
Woodwork and owning a car are one and the same, You cant stop buying parts or tools!!

I have enjoyed working with wood for a few years and have accumulated lots of tools, especially clamps, planes and chisels. Bloody clamps, I have way too many.

I also have some tools from my father and grandfather, which are my pride and joy. I love that I can make something using a tool that my father and grandfather have also used in years gone by.

I mostly enjoy making boxes with various timbers. Here are the last ones I made, the same box using different species of wood. The Walnut box being my favorite.

image]image[/URL]

image]image[/URL]

image]image[/URL]
wow, i reckon your work is beautiful.
do you sell it?
if you go to Launceston ,tas. there is a wood product display and most is for sale. i thought there stuff was beautifully designed and made. but the woods products shop is defiantly worth a visit.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post