Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #31
Blast2

dont know if jump start could have done this. so long as leads are anti surge and negative is not put on battery. earth point on head or chasis for negative clamp.
Blast2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #32
micktorr2000
Starter Motor

I've had the same problem with my XR5. There was no response from the start button. Even with the clutch out the dash lights wouldn't come one but the ford screen would light up. The RACQ came and the headlights, radio and power windows all worked. Tried jumping starting it but still nothing. Ford said that the battery was faulty and this caused the computer to come up with an error code that needed to be reset before it would start again. I'm not sure why a car wouldn't allow you to start it with a low battery but will allow the lights to come on.
micktorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #33
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by micktorr2000
I've had the same problem with my XR5. There was no response from the start button. Even with the clutch out the dash lights wouldn't come one but the ford screen would light up. The RACQ came and the headlights, radio and power windows all worked. Tried jumping starting it but still nothing. Ford said that the battery was faulty and this caused the computer to come up with an error code that needed to be reset before it would start again. I'm not sure why a car wouldn't allow you to start it with a low battery but will allow the lights to come on.
Because a starter motor will take up to 35 Amps and you are better off leaving what current available to get the car started and having safety lights on especially on some dark hi-way

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #34
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to bring this thread to the fore again but the car has let us down again; refusing to recognise the keys.
This time letting my wife & daughter down just on sundown at the local shopping centre, while I was away interstate.
Fortunately the dealer was able to organise the towie (now on first name basis!). Disconnecting the battery this time got the car onto the trailer & the problem has not recurred at the dealer.
Rightly the dealer is not happy, as they have exhausted all their options, & have escalated; a Ford tech will be sent out Monday.
In the meantime I have NO business car for a total of 10 days, as a loner can't be supplied until Monday afternoon (useless for getting to the office Monday!).
The CRC guy (again on a first name basis) claims not to have had this problem on Mondeo's reported to him; I've referred him to this thread.
I will be demanding some compensation; say free roadside assistance for three years (no it doesn't come with the Mondeo) etc and would appreciate your suggestions.
I love the car dearly when its running but this is really beginning to sour relationship and make me think twice about the central Queensland/FNQ roadtrip I was planning for mid-next year.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #35
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No need to be sorry mate that's why this forum is here at least Ford can hop on here to see the problem people on another forum had problems with a certain TV and the manufacture refused to believe they had a problem until they dropped the model because no one was buying the model after word got out

apstar
Old 20-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #36
FRIKA
FRIKA

Mate know how you feel. Happened to me twice. As mentioned before it is a problem with the keyless entry. Ford should have this on their bulletin now as a problem.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #37
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got the car back Monday & so far so good. Will need to return the CRC call Monday.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #38
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting thread. Subscribed. I went to test drive a Ford Focus XR5T sitting in the dealer's showroom today and it wouldn't start. Power button wouldn't start the engine.

I'm looking at a XR5T Focus or Mondeo, but after reading this, the last thing I want is to be stuck because the electronics have failed!
Old 17-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #39
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
Interesting thread. Subscribed. I went to test drive a Ford Focus XR5T sitting in the dealer's showroom today and it wouldn't start. Power button wouldn't start the engine.

I'm looking at a XR5T Focus or Mondeo, but after reading this, the last thing I want is to be stuck because the electronics have failed!
I have had mine coming up for 5 months.
No problems starting.
I was recently away for 2.5 weeks. It sat in the garage. Turned over first go when I got back.
So *touch wood* hopefully it doesn't impact all cars.
I love the touch button.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #40
scottyd6
Starter Motor

I have just returned back home after 6 weeks and was a bit worried about starting my car up after the long break, however, I encountered something strange. The car would not unlock using the keyless entry (boot would also not unlock). Tried the spare key and also got nothing. Decided to manually open the drivers door which worked just fine, and the car started up on the first push of the power button while I was in there (key in hand). Shut everything off and tried the keyless entry again and found the it all worked just fine. 1200km on the clock and the only other drama I've had is the "No key detected" warning come on when the key as inside of the car - car started up just fine with this warning.
I must admit that I lock the car everytime I exit as the HMI display must remain on for a period of time (that I am unsure of?) which I hope preserves the battery. Then again, I could be going over the top here.
scottyd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #41
damonix
Fergs

Default There is a fix

I have had the same problem with my mondeo. Unable to start twice in the first 8000 kms. After reading this forum and the xr5 forum I went in to see out local ford dealer. I initially went in to put pressure on management so they could push for this software update. Thankfully there has allready been enough pressure applied and a new software update is available.

It was a friday when I took the car in and didn't get it back until 3 working days later as they had problems installing the new software (noobs). I have the mondeo back and it hasn't failed yet. Fingers Crossed.

The service manager had a "special managers forum" where he found the details about this software upgrade.
damonix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #42
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd6
I must admit that I lock the car everytime I exit as the HMI display must remain on for a period of time (that I am unsure of?) which I hope preserves the battery.
I don't think so - I also lock mine everytime I get out, as thats the only way I know to force the HMI to switch off.
Battery levels are something I am concerned about too.
Quote:
I could be going over the top here.
Better safe than sorry.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #43
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

I leave mine unlocked and keys inside for hours on end.

No worries. The HMI shuts off after about 1 hour. I doubt it used much juice.

I've got 20,000kms on the clock, had no dramas.

From what I can figure, only cars fitted with the bluetooth are having the problem? I don't have bluetooth and everything has been fine, so maybe for new buyers, avoid the bluetooth for a happy experience?
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #44
warren77

I have bluetooth (and love it) and not had an issue with starting.
I have had mine nearly 6 months and only just clocked over 6300km. So doesn't get heavy use.

One thing I am conscious of is leaving my GPS and radar detector plugged in. They do run for 30 minutes after the ignition goes off. I have the 12V lead plugged into the rear socket, and just pull that out as I get out. I know from previous bad experience, that the radar detector can chew a bit of juice.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #45
bearass
FG XR8

From what I can figure, only cars fitted with the bluetooth are having the problem? I don't have bluetooth and everything has been fine, so maybe for new buyers, avoid the bluetooth for a happy experience?[/QUOTE]

I have had mine for nearly 12 months and is going in for a 15000 km service next week with no start problems at all and I have the bluetooth. As I work away for a week at a time it stays parked up for this duration with no dramas when I get back and hit that little button. Overall still very happy with it with no dramas at all except for the water thing in the boot.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #46
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Sorry to drag up an old thread 'again' but mine failed on wed morning. Left home in the morn, parked the car outside the office, went out at 11 to head out to an appointment and got no response from the start button. Same symptoms as reported in some of the posts above. Remote opened the doors no problem, got the welcome screen on the dash but when I pushed the button got zero response. Disconnected the battery, borrowed a colleague’s car and went to my appointment. 4 hours later I reconnected the battery and still nothing. Called the dealer, they sent a tow truck to pick it up and gave me a car to get home in and use until they could fix it. I got the car back this afternoon. They replaced the BCM (Body Control Module), reprogrammed the keys to suit and all good again. Also worth noting that mine does NOT have the full HMI kit which is interesting as until now all the ones I have read about that have failed have been fitted with the factory bluetooth......... until now!!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #47
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Paulie did the dealer say if they have seen a lot of the same issues still coming in.
With them fitting a new BCM will this fix the problem for good or are they still not sure?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #48
buts44
Starter Motor

The strange thing is that I started this over 12 months ago and had not had a problem again until this week. Car went in for 45k service on wednesday. Picked it up wednesday evening, drove home. Drove out the next morning to a local shopping centre and when I came back wouldnt start.

They had to send the service manager out to me at the shopping centre because they couldnt get the car out on the back of the tow truck because of the height in the multi level carpark. They ended up putting a new battery in and all good.

They believed that while it was in the service bay it had been left unlocked for most of the day and the car had been polling for the key all day and drained the battery. Not sure if that would be the case, but now have another new battery (car is just over 12 months old and this is the 3rd).
Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #49
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A 35 Amp battery assuming it was there for 8 hrs thats roughly 4 amps per hr it was using polling for the keys what a load of crock :

apstar
Old 05-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #50
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Paulie did the dealer say if they have seen a lot of the same issues still coming in.
With them fitting a new BCM will this fix the problem for good or are they still not sure?
I'm hoping its fixed for good, time will tell I guess, this is not the sort of problem you would want to have to pay for when the cars out of warranty. They really didn't say how many they had done but 'nobody' was scratching their head looking for the cause. The fault was picked up in the scan as a 'communication' error between the BCM and the keyless start system the BCM was the problem and the only fix was a replacement.

Mine was not at all related to the battery or programming.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #51
Pugsley_12
Starter Motor

Default XR5 Unable to be started

Folks,

I've had exactly the same problems regarding not being able to start my XR5 Mondeo Turbo. I've done approx 18,000kms and didn't have too many starting problems up until about 2-3 weeks ago when the car more and more frequently wouldn't start. I took it to my Ford dealership, they tested the security codes, etc and came back and said there wasn't a problem. I took the car home and couldn't start it to go to work the next day. I took the car back in and they tested the codes, etc again and came back with the same answer as before, that there wasn't a problem. Eventually I took the car back into them and demonstrated in front of them that the car wouldn't start. Since then, the service department have actually been ok and have been seeking assistance from the Ford HQ. It appears this is a common fault that Ford know about, however, they're not willing to admit that its a fault with the car. My car is currently in the Ford service garage getting the key fobs reprogrammed. I hope this is the end of my starting problems and I can actually drive it now. After paying such an amount for a car, I certainly was expecting this kind of problem after only just over a year.

As well as the car not starting, I've had to put up with the rattles from the B-pillars. These are ongoing problems, and I've had the car in about 15 times to try and sort the rattles out. I've managed to get to a point where they've dampened down however they certainly haven't gone.

I was looking forward to getting my Mondeo XR5 Turbo for such a long time and its the most I've ever spent on a car. Unfortunately my time with my Mondeo has been more of a hinderance than a pleasure. Hopefully I can get the not starting issue sorted and I'll be selling the car soon hopefully. My patience with Ford has worn thin and I'll never be buying another Ford again.
Pugsley_12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #52
scribbly

That's truly unfortunate.
The real problem is the lack of customer service in these cases because I've seen problems with other vehicle manufacturers over the years and at the end of the day it's about making the customer happy not just fixing the car.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #53
warren77

I am three weeks shy of owning my Mondeo for 12 months (wow that has flown by!).
Mine is an XR5, with Bluetooth and I am yet to have a problem. May 08 build.

I do occasionally get an error message saying "Low battery" but that is if I have been playing the stereo for too long whilst washing the car.

Thankfully never hit this problem and hopefully wont!
Old 22-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #54
Pugsley_12
Starter Motor

Ford said that one of the keys maybe faulty, they ordered in anew one and re-programmed both keys today. Again, one of the keys started the engine but the other didn't. Now they are saying that its a console problem and it can't pick up the weak signal. They're waiting for the technicians to provide further assistance. In the meantime my car's been in for almost a week and I've had to arrange other transport to and from work.

Since the car has been in from last week, I've not been contacted once by Ford Customer Relations to ask or provide any updates. Great customer service once again from Ford. As soon as you hand over the cash, I don't think anyone actually gives a . I just wish I could get my money back!

My trials and tribulations continue with my $48k paper weight!
Old 22-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #55
scribbly

You need to ring Ford Customer Service (FCS)and keep on being the proverbial 'squeaky wheel'. Quote some of the actions in these forums. I've found FCS response to be quite good almost to the extent of being annoying. Tell them if need be that your friends were thinking about purchasing this 'great looking' car but after seeing your problems are now looking elsewhere. Be creative and threaten if need be but do it lightly.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #56
DNKPWR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds like you got a lemon!
But you do tend to get a few rattles as such but nothings perfect.
Hope you get all your issues sorted and get back to enjoying the ride.

Cheers Andrew
Old 22-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #57
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford had brains they would get someone to monitor these forums if not already being done, and squash any customer backlash

apstar
Old 23-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #58
Pugsley_12
Starter Motor

Finally got the software update which would hopefully fix the starting problem. I got a phone call yesterday to say that the update seemed to have solved the starting issue. Great news!

I picked the car up last night and started ok. This morning the car started again, however, I knew my good luck had to run out at some point! After work the car failed to start again. The problem seems to be back and it looks like the software update hasn't helped at all. Back to the drawing board!

I'll have to take the car back to the garage tomorrow and contact the Customer Relations department yet again as they're not likely to contact me. They've not even been in touch since last week when I took the car to the garage. So much for following up on issues, etc.

The car issues have been a real pain in the @rse but the "Lack of Customer Service Department" have been absolutely useless. Not only do I have to waste time constantly taking the car to the garage but the amount of hours I've spent on hold to the Customer Service line is rediculous.

Anyway, the journey continues to actually get my car to start. Surely Ford should just come clean and explain to owners what the problem is or whether an official recall is required.

If anyone at Corporate Ford is out there...........Please Please Please give me my money back for this heap of !
Old 24-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #59
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you do if the car won't start? Do you have to get the car towed to the dealer? How do they fix it?

I'd suggest that you document this thoroughly. If Ford can't sort this, then I'm sure that you'd have a strong case to return the car and get your money back.
Old 24-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #60
Pugsley_12
Starter Motor

It appears this problem is more likely with the XR5 model.

The car can actually start, but the majority of the time it doesn't. Its a bit of a lottery at the moment whether it starts or not. Sometimes I can be sitting in the car for 30-40mins with nothing and then suddenly it will start. I've found that I usually need to get out of the car, double lock it, then re-open it and and try again but even this is hit or miss.

It never starts when I turn the engine off and try re-starting the engine again after a short period.

The dealership mentioned last week that it could be that the module in the dash isn't picking up the signal from the keys. That sounds to me like its a faulty model and will have to be replaced as they've tried plenty other options already. The car was in most of last week and I've still got nowhere. I've phoned both my dealership and Customer Service department this morning and I'm currently waiting to hear back what the next step of action is.

When I spoke to the Customer Service department today, I asked them to check with the technicians and give me an idea of what needs to be done and how long it may take to fix the problem. The response I got was "how long is a piece of string? (with a smug laugh)". Well to be honest Ford that just doesn't cut it! I've spent close to $48k and had the car for just over a year. These problems are just ridiculous!

The saga continues!