Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #31
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Hi guys,

Those who have the newer Diesel hatches and wagons eg Titanium models, what is the airconditioning really like? One of the prerequisites for my replacement car is an aircon system comparable to the AU and BA Ghias. I would buy an FG wagon but Ford dont make those so am looking elsewhere.

I read about Mondeos with a/c systems that are not quite up to it, and suspect these are the older models. Also lack of gas on delivery and leaks. The Mondeos are supposed to be 'global' cars, therefore supposedly tested for all conditions.

Any feedback please from newer owners, especially after the hot days recently?
Black 2009 Titanium Petrol. Air Con's not quite as good as a Falcon's, but it's still very good. On a 40 degree day it has no problems cooling the car down and maintaining a happy and comfortable medium. Certainly no complaints with mine at allm and it is black!

Global open is brilliant. In days under 30 degrees where the car heats up in the sun but the air temp is not too bad, the global open is amazing and genuinely has to save fuel as you simply don't need to crank the air-con that hard to cool it as much.

Honestly, it's not often in the 40's or even high 30's and the few days it has been this year, I've had no real complaints at all.
Old 25-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
wusyc

I have a Titanium diesel. It has rear air vents on the b-pillar. I find that being big help in circulating the air making the aircon more effective. The aircon is powerful enough in my opinion.

We all need to be a bit realistic in that if the car has been parked under the 40 degree sun for a few hours, the aircon got to need a min of 15 minutes to cool down the car. I usually leave the sunroof open in tilt position to let some hot air out when parked under the sun. The inside shade can be closed as it has some airvent as well. I also put up a shade on the windscreen to lower the effect of direct sunlight to the dash and steering wheel.

With the amount of torque that the diesel engine has, I don't find aircon dragging down the car performance as much as any petrol car I drove before.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #33
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
Dusty: I'm still working on the XL economy file, but it takes a little while to input 300 formulae - there must be a way to repeat a formulae set with indexing, but I ain't found it yet!!
Cheers
Alan, don't worry about it! It does it's job as an indicative reading.

Based on the Excel file, Alan is talking about above, my 07 diesel is getting under 9 l/100km with just under 40K on the clock. That's with the A/C always on and a mixture of city weekdays (20ish km round trip) and country weekends (usually about a 400 km round trip).
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #34
Mondeotragic
Banned

Just on this whole petrol/diesel thing, I thought the petrol engines were the ZETEC Mondeo's? But I have seen 2 Mondeos recently with the ZETEC badge on the rear right with the TDCi badge right underneath.
Mondeotragic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #35
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondeotragic
Just on this whole petrol/diesel thing, I thought the petrol engines were the ZETEC Mondeo's? But I have seen 2 Mondeos recently with the ZETEC badge on the rear right with the TDCi badge right underneath.
They do this now on the new MB Mondeo's. Zetec is more just the model type, as in same feature specs. For the diesel type they add the TDCi badge now. Same for Titanium too.

They did not do this for MA Mondeo's.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #36
Mondeotragic
Banned

Thanks RicOz. Confusing.

The moment they bring out the wagon with the diesel engine, we will be getting our second Mondeo for the family.
Between my wife and I, we have owned 22 cars in the past 20 years. The diesel Mondeo is by far the best of any of them.

To the OP, do yourself a further favour in the comparison stakes and test drive a new BMW 3 series diesel. Then ask yourself if you think the BMW is worth $30k more. This comparison puts into perspective just what a great car the Mondeo is.
Mondeotragic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #37
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Hired an Audit A3 manual 1.9 TDie diesel recently. Super y-a-w-n. Died on the rises (not hills, just slight inclines). Spent the weekend checking out all 6 gears ...frequently. No cruise, very hard ride. Around $37K worth. Only good thing was 4.3lt/100km for just over 1000kms travelled. I think I'd rather feed it more and get more driving enjoyment.
Is this a good example of modern European diesel technology? Geez, I hope not . Almost anything else must be better to drive.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 05:22 AM   #38
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Hired an Audit A3 manual 1.9 TDie diesel recently. Super y-a-w-n. Died on the rises (not hills, just slight inclines). Spent the weekend checking out all 6 gears ...frequently. No cruise, very hard ride. Around $37K worth. Only good thing was 4.3lt/100km for just over 1000kms travelled. I think I'd rather feed it more and get more driving enjoyment.
Is this a good example of modern European diesel technology? Geez, I hope not . Almost anything else must be better to drive.
Absolutely not. The VAG 1.9 is an old engine that's been upgraded over the years, mainly because it's very economical. The Mondeo 2.0 diesel is a joint Ford/Peugeot engine and is smoother, quieter, more powerful - and uses more fuel!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #39
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
They do this now on the new MB Mondeo's. Zetec is more just the model type, as in same feature specs. For the diesel type they add the TDCi badge now. Same for Titanium too.

They did not do this for MA Mondeo's.
Well, I guess we have a "rogue"?

MA Mondeo Sedan, Jan 2008 build.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Last edited by AlanD; 01-04-2018 at 11:25 PM.
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #40
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
The torque is amazing and although it is not frighteningly fast off the line, in the mid range speeds (overtaking) it is as good, or better, than other car we have owned. Remember it is geared for European AutoBahn type travel. Although you can't easily test this in Oz I'm sure it would hold 140 kph (or better) all day without a whimper.
We had a 1.6TD Focus hire car in the UK that sat on 85mph or 140km/h easily, did not have to think about maintaining speed. If only we had those roads over here!

Quote:
Dusty: I'm still working on the XL economy file, but it takes a little while to input 300 formulae - there must be a way to repeat a formulae set with indexing, but I ain't found it yet!!
Cheers
Do you want all rows to refer to a particular cell? You can lock/fix the reference in the formula by using a $ sign before the column and/or row reference - if that makes sense?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #41
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Excel is offset based. So If I copy a cell from A6 that needs A2, to new location C6, it will look in C2 for the referenced information.
You can lock it by having A6 as '=$A$2', then copy it to C6 which is now pointing to '$A$2'. A $ sign in front of the row/col part will lock that part e.g. A$2 will still refer to row 2 of whatever column this formula now exists in.

(28yrs Info Tech experience.....and Excel is still mostly a mystery)
(Oh Dear, I feel old.....some list members are probably born in the '80s....aaarrgh!!)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #42
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
We had a 1.6TD Focus hire car in the UK that sat on 85mph or 140km/h easily, did not have to think about maintaining speed. If only we had those roads over here!

Do you want all rows to refer to a particular cell? You can lock/fix the reference in the formula by using a $ sign before the column and/or row reference - if that makes sense?

Hi,

Thanks for the "assist". But the problem is that the sheet needs a sequence of formulae in each row that are identical from row to row - except that cell references increase by unity in each row.

I'd be surprised if this was a unique example of such a requirement, so I'm guessing that a method exists to do this automatically - be a cinch to code it in assembly language but the original Dusty provided was an XL file, so I elected to stick with that kind of file as most people are at least familiar with entering data into the cells.

Original problem was that hidden zero entries for cells that had not been calculated was throwing the overall averages into error. I'll get around to it when I get some time to hit the keybord for a few hours - at the moment I'm grappling with re-landscaping a rear garden that got destroyed when the sewer went in. :

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #43
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Thanks for the offers of help with the Excel file. It's worthy of it's own thread!

I think I've solved the problem of the noughts (that's a word those born in the 80s won't know!), I simply just move the blue square reading the figures to take out the noughts that alter the averages at the bottom.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 13-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #44
Fenno70
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im interested to know what type of economy people are getting from diesel mondeo's from city driving?
I have done 8000k's since last Nov and about 5000k of this would be peak hour driving.

I am averaging 8.0 litres per 100km.

It's pretty good. I have noticed on highways it'll average in the high 5's or low 6's, but in peak hour bumper to bumper it average's high 8's. It's a large car and doesn't like being idle.

If the dumb-*** Govt put in a tunnel between the Eastern and City Link I'd be home and hosed. Working in Kew I have to go through Carlton to get on the freeway and it's cactus since Eastlink opened.

You know why they won't do it - because it'll take traffic away from Burnley/Domain tunnels and Transurban wouldn't be happy.
Fenno70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #45
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Ours has been doing all stop-start peak-hour crawls lately, and the trip computer just peaked at 10.0L/100km. Has been in the high 9s for a couple of weeks now, which I'm not happy with.

Have had a suggestion to get the diesel & air filters checked out, in case they got blocked on our country trip over Christmas.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #46
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Mon30, I do mainly city with some country trips, maybe 350 every two weeks or so.
I'm averaging 8.5 l/100 kms, and the distance between fills is averaging at 641.4 kms. That's an average over the 36000+ kms I've done since I got it in Jan 08.
Previous:
Old 14-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #47
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30
Ours has been doing all stop-start peak-hour crawls lately, and the trip computer just peaked at 10.0L/100km. Has been in the high 9s for a couple of weeks now, which I'm not happy with.
At times same here especially with air-con on but looking at the actual fuel being used while stopped its under 1L/100km !! its like leaving the car on idle so the reading should be much lower than 10L/100km :

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #48
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Mon30, I do mainly city with some country trips, maybe 350 every two weeks or so.
I'm averaging 8.5 l/100 kms, and the distance between fills is averaging at 641.4 kms. That's an average over the 36000+ kms I've done since I got it in Jan 08.
Crikey mate you'll be up over a 100,000 km before you know it.
I'm at 94,000km now and still averaging 6.6l/100km.
I towed a car trailer with an EA Falcon on it today - awesome power in this vehicle.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #49
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Dusty1, only 350kms in 2wks or so.
That's just my weekly wokr commute, and then adding 'transport' for kids activities bumps it to 500-550/week. Leasing is definitely an option with those milages.
Diesel part >>>> Diesel owners seem very happy ! I'd better go drive one and see for myself.
Old 16-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #50
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Diesel part >>>> Diesel owners seem very happy ! I'd better go drive one and see for myself.
You will be disappointed with a new diesel as I was, now with 20000 km on the clock totally different car so a secondhand one will be better for a test drive

apstar
Old 16-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #51
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Dusty1, only 350kms in 2wks or so.
That's just my weekly wokr commute, and then adding 'transport' for kids activities bumps it to 500-550/week. Leasing is definitely an option with those milages.
I got the car when I started a new job, and I thought I was going to be doing more kms. Turned out I didn't. Ususally I fill up after about 600 kms every two weeks, so it's realistically 300 kms a week.

With the new child, the car suits and with the few kms I do, I'm very happy with the diesel. I do lease, and it's up in Jan 11, so I'm hoping for the Titanium diesel wagon next time around. If it's not offered, I'll look for something else.

My brother is looking at buying the car once it's out of lease, as he knows the owner and it hasn't been thrashed and is serviced regularly.
Previous:
Old 16-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #52
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

might try that, zero XR5s in town (popn. 300,000)
Old 17-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #53
dino999
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
At times same here especially with air-con on but looking at the actual fuel being used while stopped its under 1L/100km !! its like leaving the car on idle so the reading should be much lower than 10L/100km :

apstar
Fuel consumption whilst idle is actually 1L/hr not 1L/100km.

So if you spend say 30min stuck in traffic during a 25km trip - fuel comsumption for the trip will blow out from 2L into 2.5L - which equates to 8L/100km into 10L/100km.

So 10L/100km could be normal for heavy stop-start traffic.

Last edited by dino999; 17-02-2010 at 12:13 PM.
dino999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #54
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino999
Fuel consumption whilst idle is actually 1L/hr not 1L/100km.

So if you spend say 30min stuck in traffic during a 25km trip - fuel comsumption for the trip will blow out from 2L into 2.5L - which equates to 8L/100km into 10L/100km.

So 10L/100km could be normal for heavy stop-start traffic.
dion999 - you are spot on. I drive my diesel Mondeo mostly on short distances and I am getting 9.6L/100km.

I have to follow the manual's advice to make sure that I take the car out for a longer drive at higher speed (actually revs) on weekends to make sure that the soots in the Diesel Particle Filter are burnt off.
Old 17-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #55
rory84
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wusyc
I have to follow the manual's advice to make sure that I take the car out for a longer drive at higher speed (actually revs) on weekends to make sure that the soots in the Diesel Particle Filter are burnt off.
I have to admit i haven't read the manual thoroughly. I have a 2wk old MB Titanium TDCi which won't do too many kms over the next few years and will be mainly town driving. What's the go with burning the stuff out of the particle filters.

For the record 600km in and i'm gettin 8l/100km. But we'll see how that goes over time. Great car.

I tested the deisel and the petrol. It was a simple choice for me. The detrol was too week, the torque of the Diesel sold it.
rory84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #56
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory84
What's the go with burning the stuff out of the particle filters.
Apart from the manual, I found the following article is quite a good one:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html.
Old 18-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #57
Dusty1
Giddy up!

The AA article references a light on the dash. Never seen that on mine.
Someone will be able to tell us, but I heard that the diesel we get here is of a different quality than that in Europe so the particulate filters don't stop the particles that are detrimental to health. Could be wrong.
Previous:
Old 18-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #58
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
The AA article references a light on the dash. Never seen that on mine.
Someone will be able to tell us, but I heard that the diesel we get here is of a different quality than that in Europe so the particulate filters don't stop the particles that are detrimental to health. Could be wrong.
I checked the manual and could not see a mention of the light. I don't think the Mondeo has such a light. In terms of the diesel quality, I am not too sure.
Old 18-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #59
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wusyc
I checked the manual and could not see a mention of the light. I don't think the Mondeo has such a light. In terms of the diesel quality, I am not too sure.
I was part of this forum for a while archive still there for you to read
http://www.bpfuelexperts.com.au/

apstar
Old 21-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #60
Fenno70
Starter Motor

Exclamation Ford fraud ?

Quote:
Well, I guess we have a "rogue"?

MA Mondeo Sedan, Jan 2008 build.

Cheers
I was curious as to why my MB Mondeo purchased Nov 09 with a Jun 09 build date didn't have a Zetec Badge, only the TDCI badge....everything else looked like the MB Zetec Diesel including Chrome Belt line, HMI dash and Voice control.

However, when I checked the compliance plates on the driver door, clearly says MA Mondeo. So now I am worried about resal.

******** me if FORD aren't getting a call tomorrow with a big ************** please explain. All of my quotes and paper clearly specify MB.

I wonder if the shifty ************ have retrofitted MA's to move stock. Only cosmetic changes but if that's what they have done, that's ************** shifty.
Fenno70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post