Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 22-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
NevC
Red Back Ute

Exclamation Questions

Done 550k in Mondeo now and getting used to it. Still having trouble getting in and out, the thing is so low. After 4 wheel drives for years this is a different experience.

One thing that I have found is the rear door windows do not keep their calibration for auto up. Has anyone else had this problem? They can be re calibrated, and after locking car, its back to auto down and recalibrate for auto up.

Does the Zetec have heated external rear vision mirrors? Its not on brochure, but in hand book, and does not specify a model. They heat when rear window demister is active apparently. Salesman did not know.

I did not realise that the radio had to be on for blue tooth and voice control.
I have found that both work with radio on and volume at 1. It seems these 2 functions volume is not governed by radio volume? The Boss does not like local radio, so its normally not on. USB with her music is getting a hearing though. Good idea that.

What economy are you getting? With the low KM we have done its getting 8.6 per 100km, which I think is ok for such a new car. It has gone briefly to 9.2 when we were driving in town today.

One interesting thing to mention is that when fitting tow bar, Ford set the immobiliser off, and spent a fair bit of the day getting it going again. They have now had an experience for future reference from statement made.

Ford do not have genuine Mondeo rubber mats, all I got was Motorcraft ones.
I am ordering proper ones from UK, along with XR type pedal kit, chrome exhaust tips and whatever else seems a fair thing.

Put stainless scuff plates on it which look good and will do the job nicely.

Nev

BF XR6 Ute, July 2006 build, Seduce, Sports Bars, F6 CAI with K&N Filter, Turbo Upper Snorkel and Terri Air Pipe, Custom Cat Back Exhaust, 3.23 LSD, Lower Grille, Auto Glass, Bluetooth, iPod interface, Tie Downs, Analogue Clock, LED Mods

Hers 2011 SV6 Sports wagon, she has crossed to the dark side of the force.
NevC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevC
Done 550k in Mondeo now and getting used to it. Still having trouble getting in and out, the thing is so low. After 4 wheel drives for years this is a different experience.

One thing that I have found is the rear door windows do not keep their calibration for auto up. Has anyone else had this problem? They can be re calibrated, and after locking car, its back to auto down and recalibrate for auto up.
Holding the closed button down will close all windows holding the unlock button down will open all windows
Does the Zetec have heated external rear vision mirrors? Its not on brochure, but in hand book, and does not specify a model. They heat when rear window demister is active apparently. Salesman did not know.

Not to my knowledge

I did not realise that the radio had to be on for blue tooth and voice control.
I have found that both work with radio on and volume at 1. It seems these 2 functions volume is not governed by radio volume? The Boss does not like local radio, so its normally not on. USB with her music is getting a hearing though. Good idea that.
How else is it going to work if its not on it needs to pair with your phone!
What economy are you getting? With the low KM we have done its getting 8.6 per 100km, which I think is ok for such a new car. It has gone briefly to 9.2 when we were driving in town today.

That's about right will get better with more mileage under its belt take it for a Freeway run once a month to blow the cobwebs away

One interesting thing to mention is that when fitting tow bar, Ford set the immobiliser off, and spent a fair bit of the day getting it going again. They have now had an experience for future reference from statement made.

lol no they won't they will make the same mistake next time because someone else will get to do it

I got the Focus ones instead

I am ordering proper ones from UK, along with XR type pedal kit, chrome exhaust tips and whatever else seems a fair thing.

Put stainless scuff plates on it which look good and will do the job nicely.

Nev
apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
NevC
Red Back Ute

Holding the closed button down will close all windows holding the unlock button down will open all windows
Not if windows are not calibrated. It states this in handbook.

Territory Blue tooth used radio amp, but was independent of radio being switched on. Apparently all new Fords require radio on. To me this is bad design, or going cheap.

Thanks for reply

Nev
BF XR6 Ute, July 2006 build, Seduce, Sports Bars, F6 CAI with K&N Filter, Turbo Upper Snorkel and Terri Air Pipe, Custom Cat Back Exhaust, 3.23 LSD, Lower Grille, Auto Glass, Bluetooth, iPod interface, Tie Downs, Analogue Clock, LED Mods

Old 23-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Samy82

Hey Nev, I always thought like with the focus, the customer could reset modules and there were instructions... I could be wrong, but just take it to the dealer, they should be able to reset it under warranty, and if there is a module problem, warranty can take care of it.
Samy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I think they all come out with heated mirrors.

I've never seen mine work, but they probably just do without my knowledge or input.

Typical of the dealers not knowing anything about them, still!
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
bovva66

I seem to remember reading in manual that heated mirrors are turned on when rear demister is on.
Old 23-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
piquetcon
Starter Motor

To reset the windows, you need to hold the window up/down botton for a few seconds on the window(s) not auto closing.
piquetcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
warren77

Quote:
Not if windows are not calibrated. It states this in handbook.

Territory Blue tooth used radio amp, but was independent of radio being switched on. Apparently all new Fords require radio on. To me this is bad design, or going cheap.

Thanks for reply

Nev
Not sure I agree it is a sign of going cheap.
The bluetooth in the mondeo is fully integrated into the HMI.
The fact you can scroll through the numbers on the HMI make it relatively easy to make a call handsfree without touching the phone.

The integration back into the HMI is through the head unit - it is a sub function. So to me, it make sense that it would leverage the amp in the HU.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
NevC
Red Back Ute

Main question was had anyone else had trouble with windows going out of calibration. I did what book says to reset, and it works until car is locked, then it returns to no auto up on rears. I will get Ford to look at it when in for first service. I thought it may have been something that you have encountered and would have fixed, either by yourself or by Ford.

Warren77, What you say is sound. What I thought is that as the volume for Bluetooth is independent to radio, then radio need not be on to work.

Manual does say heated mirrors come on with rear demister. I would have thought Ford would be only too happy to say this in their brochure it it were so.
I have assumed they are fitted to Mondeo. Although the temp has been sub 8 here, the mirrors have not fogged up as Territory did.

Has anyone tried this rear camera kit? eBay item 130398817577

Must say not whinging, just curious as you are with something new.

cheers all

Nev

Old 23-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
warren77

In regards to that Camera, where are you going to connect it to?
It still needs an LCD screen for the image to be displayed.
The HMI screen won't work.

From my experience, all the various inputs have their own independent volumes.
I have my car on AUX mostly, CD occasionally and rarely on radio.
Bluetooth works on all of those.

If you do turn the stereo off, you do loose bluetooth. But as long as the stereo is on, it should still work.
I find this somewhat useful to force it to reconnect to the iphone, without having to play with the iphone (which would be illegal).
Old 23-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=NevC]
I've had occasional problems with the windows, but not for a long time now. Maybe use the rear windows for a while and see if it comes right?
Really depends on where/how you drive. I can get about 8.5 at 100 km/hr, or up to about 12 in heavy city traffic. If I don't reset the trip computer, it always sems to settle at 9.3, which strangely enough is the EU figure for mixed use.
Some cheap and nasty Mondeo carpet mats were supplied with the car. Must get something decent one day.
The Mondeo is not low for a car. Try a Honda to see what low means!
Old 23-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
warren77

Try ebay for the carpet mats.
They come up every now and then.
Old 24-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
NevC
Red Back Ute

The Mondeo is not low for a car. Try a Honda to see what low means!
It is low when compared to Territory and F350.

I wanted rubber mats as we are on a property where the main driveway/parking area is dirt.

We are 35kn out of Ballarat on Glenelg Highway, so most driving is Highway through hills. I got 10.8 to 11.4 from Territory with up to 12s around traffic and 14s towing tandem full of stock. I am interested to see how Mondeo compares when run in.

I did wonder if things would settle down with use. Will wait and see.

cheers All

Nev

Old 24-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
warren77

My XR (bluefin and CAI) is doing 10.8 to 11.3 around town. That is with an average speed of about 34km/hr.
On a down south trip (160km on open roads) I got down as low as 7.2L/100km.
I have also taken it 440km through some hilly country - air con, sunroof vent open, 38 degrees and got 8.2L/100km.

Obviously not the same car but does give you some indication on what is possible
Old 25-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nevc - just had a look on the Ford NZ website for floor mats. We can get Mondeo carpet and rubber mats in NZ. My driver's mat is a mess as I often drive in work boots, so I will visit a dealer and see what the rubber mats are like.
Old 25-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #16
NevC
Red Back Ute

NZXR6, I ordered these from UK already. http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/sear...tart=0&cat=228
It will be interesting to see if you have genuine mats in NZ. OZ Ford has Mondeo Rubbers mats listed, but they are Motorcraft universals, a big con.

Warren, did 450km at 58km/per hr average speed, 8.0L/100 fuel used. Was hills, highway and city driving. Distance to empty dropped 100km when city traffic encountered, but crept back up on way home.

Old 25-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
warren77

I reset mine before I went to Denmark and filled the car up.
The city driving was around 550km.
After an hour it was over 700km.
I only use 98 however.
Old 27-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #18
pac1977
Starter Motor

I have a Zetec Wagon and am having the same issues with the Drivers window. Will try to reset it again and if that does not work I'll take it to the dealer to fix.

Yes. And they work really well. Only when the rear demister is on.

I have done just on 6000kms and getting approx 9.8 per 100 with mainly around town driving. I have just driven 600kms to Canberra sitting on the speed limit and still had a quarter of a tank when I got here.
pac1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
NevC
Red Back Ute

In the fog yesterday I did discover that the mirrors were heated. They do work very well indeed.

I have tried recalibrating as per handbook, but they rears do not hold setting.
Will get Ford to check on first service.

There is a small boomp!! at times in rear, maybe exhaust or bushing settling in. One Territory had rubber noises for a bout 1200km then was quiet.

The Mondy is going great and we do not regret buying it at all. It pulls over the hills near home better that the Terri, which tended to die off and require more right boot to maintain speed. Only problem is we have to be aware of going over speed humps and drive way gutters and slow down.

Old 28-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
There is a small boomp!! at times in rear, maybe exhaust or bushing settling in. One Territory had rubber noises for a bout 1200km then was quiet.
I had this too. A couple of times. The service department re-tightened the rear suspension and that sorted it. My driveway makes the hatch flex a bit, so that might have had something to do with it when it was new.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #21
NevC
Red Back Ute

The rear end noise was bit of blue metal road fill lodged in spring. Apparently Mondeo has a deep spring dish and it can collect debris which can make strange sounds to worry us a bit.

Old 30-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #22
NevC
Red Back Ute

The European/UK Mondeo brochure shows Smart Phone GPS interface with the Convers+ HMI. It appears as Navigation item on Menu.
It does note that the UK does not get this feature.

I did see the GPS in picture of HMI in hand book, but assumed this was for inbuilt Ford GPS.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this? I wonder if it can be activated, similar to Hijack mode mentioned elsewhere on this Forum.

More questions for Ford

Old 31-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #23
1stFord
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac1977

I have a Zetec Wagon and am having the same issues with the Drivers window. Will try to reset it again and if that does not work I'll take it to the dealer to fix.

I had the driver window stopped working in auto up/down as well and had the switch replaced by Ford at first service. Also, the rear windows played up sometimes but they were reset ok.

Yes. And they work really well. Only when the rear demister is on.

I have done just on 6000kms and getting approx 9.8 per 100 with mainly around town driving. I have just driven 600kms to Canberra sitting on the speed limit and still had a quarter of a tank when I got here.
I've done nearly 5000 kms but getting 12l/100km with normal unleaded. Not sure if it will be better if using 98 octane fuel.
1stFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #24
fordmondeoman

1stford you will find you will get better with 98. even just 95
Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #25
pac1977
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stFord
I've done nearly 5000 kms but getting 12l/100km with normal unleaded. Not sure if it will be better if using 98 octane fuel.
Just a follow up to my previous post. I have just made the return trip from Canberra (over the hills so not all on the flat) and averaged 8.2 per 100kms. Total of 575kms ans still had well over a quarter of a tank to spare. Running on standard unleaded 91 octane fuel. Very impressed.
pac1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 AM   #26
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac1977
Just a follow up to my previous post. I have just made the return trip from Canberra (over the hills so not all on the flat) and averaged 8.2 per 100kms. Total of 575kms ans still had well over a quarter of a tank to spare. Running on standard unleaded 91 octane fuel. Very impressed.
That's good mileage running on 91. You would probably do a little better on 98 - the minimum octane specified in the manual is 95.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #27
fordmondeoman

We did our first long trip(canberra to melb) in our mondeo although diesel got avarage 6.1lt which i was very happy including driving around melb and geelong.(have also tuned the engine so that would have also helped a little)
Old 30-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #28
NevC
Red Back Ute

Have done 3200km now and all is well.

The rear window auto up problem that we had has now fixed itself.
I did recalibrate them a few times, so maybe it the settings stayed last time it was done, or maybe as someone suggested the car has settled down on its own.
Drivers window would not open once, and has never repeated that fault again.

A few (2 or 3) owners here have said things have sorted themselves out as the car has had more ks on it.

Do these cars have a mind of their own??

Old 30-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #29
marcusturbo

What you will also find is that along with the rear demister switching on the heated wing mirrors, it will also switch on the heating to the front windscreen washers!!!!

To notice this you will need to leave the car out over night, have a nice wet/damp bonnet, switch on the rear window and soon after you notice that you have 2 dry patches on the bonnet around the washer jets.

Not very necessary in this country but it does help in the freezin cold of the Scotland along with the heat front windscreen.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 AM   #30
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the windows sometimes need a bit of use before they "free up". I had trouble with the front passenger window initially but it's been fine now for well over a year.