Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Zach
Starter Motor

Default Newbie looking to buy MA/MB Mondeo TDCi

I've only driven the MB but pretty much have made my mind on the Mondeo TDCi though not sure to get MA or MB due to budget.

The sticking point in the price after initially quoted $39k with prestige paint (no other accessories) we're down to about $37k which I still think is quite high in comparison I was quoted $32k for Maxima which is fully loaded (leather, electric seats, push button start, xenons, the list goes on).

Hence, I wanted to sound out if $37k is a good price or not. As another comparison a MA ex demo (less thank 500kms) with Bluetooth can be had for $33k.

If I were to spend extra on the MB what accessories, factory or otherwise have you found are a must have?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers!

Zach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

There was a price rise into MB, in fact maybe even 2 price rises which affectedc the whole industry.

Sounds like that price would be on an old Maxima surely. They're just made it even uglier with a newer model. $37k sounds like a very good price given the MB is something like $38,990 plus on roads, equating to something more like $42k D/A I think?!?! So $37k is a significant discount.

The only difference is the Chrome beltline below the windows, standard bluetooth/voice control and the upgraded dash. Beyond that, no changes. If you can get an MA with Bluetooth for $33k, you've found a winner.
Old 30-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Zach
Starter Motor

Thanks zetec. Price on Maxima is on new model and brand new not demo. A bit like Skoda they're trying to get the cars on the road as another form of marketing.

Looks as always is a personal thing. Also as often is the case in person it looks better than in photos/brochures.

MB is about $42k d/a so about $5k discount (fleet discount included).

Couple other questions - how much are servicing costs? what is real world fuel consumption like for TDCi?
Old 30-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

That's certainly sharp pricing on the Maxima, they can't be making a cent on those surely. Just glanced at their website and it's interesting how they spec them. Xenons and lots of bling form the base model, but no parking sensors until you go to the middle model! Well specced though.

Real world, you'd have to ask some TDCi owners on here, but it's incredibly good economy. I've done a highway trip from Sydney to Melbourne in one and arrived with another 200km still to go in the tank after driving 900km. It's genuinely incredible on highway, and from what I can tell, awesome around town. TDCi owners please confirm!

Bootspace would also be impossible to beat in the Mondeo. If you're going to be carrying children/prams/pets/furniture or anything more than once a year, consider the immense cavern that is the Mondeo's boot. Maxima being a sedna has much more limited boot entry space, limited to the size of the boot opening.
Old 30-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
Zach
Starter Motor

parking sensors can be added quite cheaply I was told but yeah very well specced especially for $32k! Hated the CVT though!

based on official numbers should get 1200 hwy kms, so pretty close. since I'll be heading to Sydney from Melb in November I'd love to have the Mondeo in the driveway to test out what you experienced.

yep economy and bootspace is why Mondeo is top of tree on my shopping list I'm using Maxima as guide to value for money propisition and leverage for negotiations.
Old 30-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still remember driving a Maxima rental when the model with the 3.5 first came out in NZ. Fantastic drivetrain but some strange Renaultesque styling. Sounds like they've reverted to traditional Japanese and it's caught the CVT disease, which has now spread to Subaru.

The MB seems to be an Australia-only model. No sign of a facelift Mondeo in NZ, or even in Europe. So definitely go for an MA if it's cheaper.
Old 30-10-2009, 05:44 AM   #7
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

I have a MA TDCi, ordered immediately on release in Aus and delivered in Jan 08.
It is top spec with leather, sunroof, euro plates and bluetooth possibly a bit over the top in some eyes but hey I plan to keep it for a while. I would consider the leather (heated) and bluetooth a must have for me .... but the sunroof I could probably do without, but still nice to have.

As far as comparison with the Maxima .... no knowlege as it didn't make my short list due its load carrying restrictions. (sedan) but compared it with a VW Passat Wagon and Peugeot 407 Wagon and I considered the Mondeo much better value even at around $45000 on road list. I have not regretted the decision.

Fuel economy is in the low 8's with a mix of mainly city and some freeway driving.
On a trip Brisbane - Sydney return (2100 km) recently she returned 5.8 l/100km driving cruise on at around 5km above the posted limit.
Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
RicOz

Zach, are you sure the 37K includes on roads? RRP for a Zetec MB TDCi is $39,990 PLUS on roads, so if your quote is correct, you are getting a great deal!

I would go for the MB if you can afford it. I like the extras you get like the impressive colour HMI display in the dash. You also get full ipod conectivity too, plus different cloth on the seats.

Also Mondeo's are more rare plus better looking than Maximas.
Old 30-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I'd only be interested in the Ti. I like a bit of luxury, and it would be a a $50K proposition according to their website. What's the New Titanium TDCi, $46 - 48K? I'd still go for the oil burner.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
I'd only be interested in the Ti. I like a bit of luxury, and it would be a a $50K proposition according to their website. What's the New Titanium TDCi, $46 - 48K? I'd still go for the oil burner.
I think that you can haggle the price down to about $46-$47k.

Ford advertise the Titanium petrol model at $45990 drive away. The Ti TDCi then becomes $48990 drive away. I am sure that you can knock off another $2000 more from that drive away price.
Old 31-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #11
Zach
Starter Motor

thanks for the comments. have haggled a MA demo down to $32k which despite being an 08 build is a reasonable price (i think). yes MB price of $37k was on the road and gut feel is dealer has some room left to haggle further. i'd love to be able to get the Titanium.

how's the build quality? any complaints/warranty issues?

also drove a 2L 308 Touring manual today purely by chance as it wasn't on shopping list as thought it was too small and expensive. great drive plenty low down grunt with the manual and huge sunroof with amazing seating flexibility.

this is now giving me headaches as I pretty much made up my mind on the Mondeo. arghhh!
Old 31-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #12
jazzfan
Starter Motor

Zach, I'm also interested in the TDCI, pretty good drive. If you're in Sydney, any chance you can let me know the name of your dealer? Your negotiation skills are outstanding based on those quotes that you got!
Enjoy the car, when you get it.
jazzfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wusyc
I think that you can haggle the price down to about $46-$47k.

Ford advertise the Titanium petrol model at $45990 drive away. The Ti TDCi then becomes $48990 drive away. I am sure that you can knock off another $2000 more from that drive away price.
Sorry guys... need to correct this...

Ford advertises the Titanium petrol model at $44990 drive away. The Titanium TDCi then becomes $47990 drive away (diesel engine is an $3000 option). I think you can get it down to around $46000.
Old 31-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I got some info that the Titanium TDCi could be got for $46K drive away.

But is availability the problem?

The 407 wagon can be got for around that price too - not the V6 though. And I think it's the same engine and gearbox as in the Mondeo. Few less features too.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 31-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
Zach
Starter Motor

jazzfan I'm in melb. but essentially you have the same upper hand, end of month (almost end of year) and they don't won't to be holding MA stock for much longer. I'm off today to get another quote for both MA and MB for comparison sakes as it's next to Peugeot it will allow me to make my mind up on which I'm after.

btw a demo Titanium TDCi was under $40k
Old 31-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
jazzfan
Starter Motor

Thank you Zach, good to know..good luck with the purchase.
Old 31-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If you are still looking at Maximas, take resale into consideration. They have terrible resale in the vicinity of 46% after 3 years. :
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #18
Zach
Starter Motor

naddis agree though resale is based on RRP. maxima is out of contention though sadly the mondeo is also looking to be on the outer as gut feel says I'll be bored within 6mths and want something more fun or luxurious.
Old 31-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #19
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

You also have to be able to look at the car you own. Maxima = : New model Maxima = : :
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #20
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Get the MB.

As for being bored or wanting more luxurious...

Get the XR5 for both more power and luxury, or the titanium diesel for luxury and diesel benefits.

The new titanium is a great buy IMO, If I were going to buy another mondeo I think I would go the diesel titanium. Great looks and diesel

That's pretty much why I didn't buy the TDCi, it just wasn't as sexy as the XR5. But thats a thing of the past now!
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #21
Zach
Starter Motor

agree titanium is nice piece of kit though is it worth 10k above std TDCi i don't think so. also $40k opens up a whole new realm of cars.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #22
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

WOW didn't realise it was that much more!
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder whether the Financial crisis has seen these cars priced quite high. Now the Dollar is strong, why don't we see a drop in the prices? Or are they unrelated.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #24
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I wonder whether the Financial crisis has seen these cars priced quite high. Now the Dollar is strong, why don't we see a drop in the prices? Or are they unrelated.
My guess would be that they are purchased in Euro as they come out of Belgium. The Aussie dollar is not as good against the Euro as it is to the USD. Plus they could have all been ordered prior to the meltdown, making their price what it used to be, not was it is now.

Could be wrong. But it is unusual for a car to come down in price. Imagine the bleeding heart dealer when you're trying to screw them down - 'I'm not making much on this car, and you want me to make less?' boo-hoo.
Previous:
Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #25
dino999
Starter Motor

We just bought a Titanium TDCi last week.

If you don't have any contacts in the car industry (like me), the easiest way to source out the best price is to phone all the local Ford dealers for a quote - then call back the nicest one and ask them to better your best quote.

We got the best price at CityFord Rockdale (NSW). Great service too. Car was home delivered to us within a week.
dino999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #26
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino999
We just bought a Titanium TDCi last week.

If you don't have any contacts in the car industry (like me), the easiest way to source out the best price is to phone all the local Ford dealers for a quote - then call back the nicest one and ask them to better your best quote.

We got the best price at CityFord Rockdale (NSW). Great service too. Car was home delivered to us within a week.
I emailed all the dealers and asked for them to come back with a best price on email. Put them into a spreadsheet and went from there. Some refused to quote unless I came into the dealership - they missed out.
Previous:
Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #27
jazzfan
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino999
Hi dino999, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of pricing did you get? Also, would it be presumptuous to assume that Titanium comes with all the bits and pieces like mats etc etc. Showing my newbness here, hope you guys can point me in the right direction.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #28
dino999
Starter Motor

Hi jazzfan,

The Titanium comes standard with all the features, including the mats.
As I am also new to this forum, I'm not sure if disclosing prices is wlecome here.
I can say that the best price we got was $3000 less than another dealer's quote - so it pays to shop around.

jazzfan - sent you a PM

Last edited by dino999; 05-11-2009 at 11:12 PM.
dino999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #29
Zach
Starter Motor

regretably we are not going ahead with the Mondeo or any other car due to being scared off from the interest rate rises and the future ones. some dealers have already told me they're numbers are droping so hoopefully we don't end up where we were 12mths ago with economy ceasing in it's tracks because of the reserve bank.

however, hope to be in a Mondeo sooner rather than later though perhaps in a Titanium TDCi with the 2.2 if they ever come out or the XR5 and in a wagon.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #30
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,

We paid $32880 for an MA Zetec TDCi that has just passed 1000Km. Took delivery on 13 October. The long tern fuel economy has gone from 16.9 l/100km to 8.7 L/100km across that distance. (We decided we didn't want a German Shepherd Dog so you could get track 4 of the CD, so that put the Titanium out of bounds ;) )

Tomorrow we head off for Adelaide (quick visit to see the relatives) 2 up plus moderate luggage. I'll fill up at Healsville and don't expect to have to put fuel into it again until we arrive in Victor Harbor. Taking the "senic" route via Bendigo and St Arnaud before getting back onto the Western Highway at Dimboola. Back via Naracoorte and the Otway Ranges.

I'll keep accurate fuel figures and give the group a heads up at what we achieve when we get back.

Thoughts so far - I expected it to be good and it is. Build quality is high (so far Ive found one missing PK screw and speed nut that ought to be in a rear wheel arch) It feels very solid, no squeaks or rattles, engine feels strong and the low down torque makes highway cruise speeds a breeze. I've been gradually increasing speeds on bends I know limits for in the Territory and it's now exceeding those, so I'm very impressed with the roadholding - more thoughts after a couple of thousand ks thanks to the upcoming trip.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post