Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Cops driving dangerous?!

Hi All,

I dont want to turn this into a cop bashing exercise but I have to wonder what is going through the mind of some police officers. Last night in the pouring rain a Red SS commodore (Number plate SSV 80Y) complete with stripes, lowered and 20 inch wheels notices a car passing at about 95 maybe 100 on the M4 (for the sydney people) just before the Homebush bay Drive exit.

This guy tried to bait me a couple of times by revving his car next to me and looking to accelerate but I wasnt having any of it.

This guy in the AU goes past him and then changes lanes. This is when things get strange. The SS suddenly dumps it, the car twists and fish tales (at over 100 kms/hr in the pouring rain) then he swerves to the right lane. The AU is now in the left lane trying to exit with me behind. The SS then goes ahead and to the left lane at the exit and the AU in the middle lane. The SS then realises that the guy was turning right from the middle lane so he swerves right infront of me, no indicator, nothing. I hit the brake and flashed him to which he accelerated to give me some room.

All in all, no flashing lights, driving like a complete muppet in the pouring rain. I think this is totally unacceptable driving. And all for a guy barely over the limit. If he was serious about pulling the guy up why not turn on your lights and pull the guy over. Plain and simple.

Not impressed at all. I want to make a complaint but feel it might just fall on deaf ears.

kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 
Default Re: Cops driving dangerous?!

So did he actually pull him over? Because a rego check shows the Commodore is an '07 build which is a little old for a current police car. You sure it wasn't just some muppet?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
So did he actually pull him over? Because a rego check shows the Commodore is an '07 build which is a little old for a current police car. You sure it wasn't just some muppet?
He had the lights on the back (flashers next to the numberplate) and the antenna on the rear window. Unless the guy has an elaborate setup just to fool people?! (such as me?!) I think I'm gonna make a complaint cause he shouldnt have lights on the back anyway.
Old 23-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He had an antenna on the back window!??!?!?!? OMG!!! must be a cop then...

If its bucketing down rain how do you know what you saw on the number plater were "flashers?"

Were they definately red and blue?

Most unmarked cars will carry rear flashers on the parcel shelf or incorporated within the actual rear tailamps so they arent visible.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

What is needed is a dash cam ... and then upload it for the world to see.
Will eventually get the attention of someone higher up in the Police Force ... and eventually these things will be stopped.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

Most unmarked cars will carry rear flashers on the parcel shelf or incorporated within the actual rear tailamps so they arent visible.
Not in NSW, some unmarked cars have rectangular LED's next to the rear number plate.

But in saying that< i highly doubt it would have been an unmarked car with it having 20" wheels. they are just something that the police would not use.
Especially on a highway patrol car.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Right you are, number plate flashers, rear parcle shelf flashers, wired into the headlamps / tail lights, hidden behind the grille, attached to the dash and I've even seen an undercover use a flasher attached to an elastic strip which can be mounted on the sun visor, very stealthy!

Generally I look for no numberplate surround, aerial, flashers and if all else fails, look for a uniform!

Might have just been a spanner, but I have personally know people who have been baited by the police up here in QLD, so I wouldn't put it past them.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Some of the undercover's going around have the rear flasher hidden in the taillights now ... and not current models either. radio gear and other equipment is concealed a lot better as well.

Has been known on some of the larger cruises where there has been a VY/VZ modified commodores used for surveillance purposes ... these vehicles are usually on-loan for short periods of time and turned over quick enough that they are not noticed a regular vehicles.
Old 23-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Right you are, number plate flashers, rear parcle shelf flashers, wired into the headlamps / tail lights, hidden behind the grille, attached to the dash and I've even seen an undercover use a flasher attached to an elastic strip which can be mounted on the sun visor, very stealthy!

Generally I look for no numberplate surround, aerial, flashers and if all else fails, look for a uniform!

Might have just been a spanner, but I have personally know people who have been baited by the police up here in QLD, so I wouldn't put it past them.
Recently saw a new Mondeo Zetec hatch ... that had none of the telltale sign.
Even if you looked in the window ... there was no giveaway in the interior either. They are starting to really think about being as stealth as possible down here in Sydney.
Old 23-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Recently saw a new Mondeo Zetec hatch ... that had none of the telltale sign.
Even if you looked in the window ... there was no giveaway in the interior either. They are starting to really think about being as stealth as possible down here in Sydney.
It's only taken them how long? Seriously go back to the VY/VZ era and they stood out like dogs balls! The general formula was antenna x 3, steel wheels, stupidly dark tint and lowered slightly.

The only one I've seen so far that I wouldn't have picked was a Golf R32, got chatting with the copper who drove it (top fellow fyi) and he said they now wire everything into the lights of the vehicle or behind the grille. He also showed the centre console where they operate it from, which is more or less a wodden box with a bunch of little silver switches like these:

All they need to do is just tuck it out of the way and you'd never guess it was a cop car looking in.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 23-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Pretty much ... radio is hidden under the seats as well.
Old 23-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

There is a F6 in parramatta as well that does the rounds. Its got stripes and non standard wheels. The copper in it tried to egg me on on hassle street but I again was having none of it. stopped at the lights and sure enoughyou could see his uniform and screen inside. Had the lights next to the number plate just like the SS and the antenna.

Is it fare they can rev their cars and bait you just to fine you? I know its your fault if you get baited but still they shouldn't be allowed. Maybe a case of entrapment?.

And going back a few years there was a XR 6 with Gt stripes (BA xr 6) in st ives that used to do the same.

Last edited by kypez; 23-07-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 23-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez

Is it fare they can rev their cars and bait you just to fine you? I know its your fault if you get baited but still they shouldn't be allowed. Maybe a case of entrapment?.
No such thing as entrapment....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to make a complaint why does it matter if it was a cop car or not?
Old 23-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
cartaa100
FG POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline

hey mate how did you do a rego check on the number plate if you dont mind me asking. hahah :P

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Can they fine you for revving back?..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
No such thing as entrapment....
Well there is, but not in Aus.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Can they fine you for revving back?..
excessive noise, excessive acceleration, take your pick..tip, if somebody is acting like a muppet next to you just ignore it. Not that hard, they'll get bored and move on to the next sucker.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #19
Sterling
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

off topic, but this reminds me of the time when i was 17 and didnt even have my liscence yet, saw a fully marked xr6t cop car chirp the tyres up around a curve, (going uphill) then speed off, only to slow down again, and return to normal driving... pretty rediculous.. me and my friends were on the cliff by the beach so we could see the whole road from sort of a birds-eye.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
excessive noise, excessive acceleration, take your pick..tip, if somebody is acting like a muppet next to you just ignore it. Not that hard, they'll get bored and move on to the next sucker.
Strewth..... thanks. Nobody really acts the fool next to me, nobody wants to race a diesel truck haha.

I reckon the Australian national anthem is a bit out of date now.. "for we are young and free" yes very free..cant rev my car incase its too loud.. please..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #21
StrokedXT
Banned

Lots of baiting going on by nsw of late, wonder if it's a new directive.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

It's not just hapless civilians they pick on

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225948559778
Old 23-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #23
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Qld Klugers have exposed lights next the the rear plates.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
It's not just hapless civilians they pick on

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225948559778
Hahahhhahahahaha

He still get off it though.

Anyway ... what a police officer needs to realise is ... the Commodore ute is classed as a commercial vehicle (not practically ... but it is complianced as one) ... and you can have a dark as you like on the rear window and rear quarter windows.

Inspector Death was stupid enough to fall into the trap ... next time when on holidays (ie: off-duty) ... make a note of it and not be a idiot like he was.
Old 24-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #25
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Inspector Death was stupid enough to fall into the trap ... next time when on holidays (ie: off-duty) ... make a note of it and not be a idiot like he was.
I nearly ****ed myself
Old 24-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Coppers don't have 20" wheels and being an 07 build the car is to old.

When coppers want to pull you over, and whilst they're stopped, they have the lovely flashing lights. (OHS ruling especially when stopped)

It actually sounds like this commodore driver was chasing this falcon driver because they knew each other ot they wanted to have a "rumble in the bronx" as such.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Coppers don't have 20" wheels and being an 07 build the car is to old.

When coppers want to pull you over, and whilst they're stopped, they have the lovely flashing lights. (OHS ruling especially when stopped)

It actually sounds like this commodore driver was chasing this falcon driver because they knew each other ot they wanted to have a "rumble in the bronx" as such.
Who says????
They have been known to drive stranger vehicles than this.
Old 24-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #28
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Who says????
They have been known to drive stranger vehicles than this.

Do you pull over for anyone chasing you?

I don't unless I see 2 lovely colours

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #29
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Never said I'd stop for anyone without flashing lights.

What i am saying is ... in NSW anyway ... the Police Force are using obscure vehicles now ... with blue/red strobes fitted in stealth positioning (along with sirens as well).

There'll be a lot of covert operation vehicles out there on the road ... that you would least expect ... even I wouldn't have guessed myself.
Old 24-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #30
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
hey mate how did you do a rego check on the number plate if you dont mind me asking. hahah :P
https://myrta.com/regcheck/

Just punch in the rego.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post