Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #1501
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
TAS Greens senator upsetting the locals by going to his holiday home:

https://www.themercury.com.au/news/c...2c420690bd4dda
Need a sub to view that cob.
A petulant Green doing their own thing that contradicts their principles is no surprise.
Another silver lining of this should put an end to Green/watermelon politics and their delusional support base.
If predictions for a post lockdown financial downturn eventuates, people are going to have more things to worry about than cycle lanes, increasing the refugee quota, making more gender neutral bathrooms available or increasing the amount of women in managerial positions.
The Greens unrealistic ideologically driven policies that don't deliver in the real world are going to be at the bottom of peoples priorities when businesses are folding and they're been laid off.
5 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #1502
superyob
Banned

Quote:
TAS Greens senator upsetting the locals by going to his holiday home:

Big D! Stop saying words. Millions of unicorns may die because...

Words!!!

This user likes this post:
Old 12-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #1503
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
A petulant Green doing their own thing that contradicts their principles is no surprise.
Another silver lining of this should put an end to Green/watermelon politics and their delusional support base.
If predictions for a post lockdown financial downturn eventuates, people are going to have more things to worry about than cycle lanes, increasing the refugee quota, making more gender neutral bathrooms available or increasing the amount of women in managerial positions.
The Greens unrealistic ideologically driven policies that don't deliver in the real world are going to be at the bottom of peoples priorities when businesses are folding and they're been laid off.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #1504
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
This thread is a great platform for:-
1: Idiots
2: Trolls

I'd be in favour of closing it....

Quote:
Don't participate then?

Just remember, this is the only automotive forum that I know of that is allowing this sought of thread to continue in the fashion that it is.

If some of you want to continue keeping this thread open I strongly suggest that some contributors reconsider their posting style.

There's no need to reply to this post and if you do it will be deleted and you will be seriously risking the thread being closed.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #1505
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Quote:
Greens Senator Peter Whish-Wilson’s East Coast getaway has angered locals

A TASMANIAN politician staying at his East Coast shack has sparked anger among locals who say it “sends the wrong message”.

Greens Senator Peter Whish-Wilson said he been given the all clear from police on Saturday after self presenting to verify that staying at his Bicheno holiday home wasn't a breach of government-enforced protocols.

But Federal MP Lyons Brian Mitchell said by visiting his coastal residence, Mr Whish-Wilson had “disregarded pleas to stay home” by healthcare workers nationwide.

Mr Whish-Wilson said that apart from a parliamentary trip to Canberra last week, he had spent the past four weeks staying in the seaside town – arriving before Premier Peter Gutwein introduced a ban on Tasmanians visiting rural shacks.

A Bicheno local on Saturday told The Mercury Mr Whish-Wilson was seen near shops and beaches and not in self-quarantine.

Under federal legislation, senators and federal MPs are exempt from the recently-enforced 14-day isolation period for new arrivals to Tasmania.

“The police assessed my circumstances and have made it clear I am not currently in breach of the legislation and guidelines,” Mr Whish-Wilson said.

“I have fully complied with the stay at home directions and have been in my home in Bicheno for almost four weeks now with the exception of a brief visit to Canberra for parliament.

“I understand the fear and uncertainty in many Tasmanian communities at the moment – it’s important that we stay together as communities, support each other, follow the guidelines on staying home and staying safe during this time.”

Classic example of do as I say not as I do, everyone has to abide by these restrictions - except senators
Old 12-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #1506
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The ALP is trying to appease the Greens because they're a political threat in inner suburban seats, at least in Victoria, particularly Brunswick that is essentially The Great Wall of Quinoa.

That's why they're seeing leaders such as Albo who is too easy going and weak to lead a political party, he doesn't have the capability to rule the party with an iron fist to keep the factions under control.

They've shifted away from their traditional voter base trying to cosy up to the Greens and the Twitterati as such their traditional voters have started voting LNP and now One Nation.

Now we've got serious economic issues on the horizon all this BS is going to go by the wayside for the average voter, but the ALP are too insulated to see it.

Interesting times politically, I'm predicting 20% GST on the horizon.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #1507
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
You just might find that the Inbreeders will be back to normality in a month or so whereas the Waste Trailer mob will still be in lockdown at Xmas
All evidence to the contrary bloke, we’re not under house arrest in WA.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #1508
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

You’re all carrying on like Australia is the only place in the world with these inconvenient restrictions?
FFS... Have a feckin look outside ya self centred little bubbles.... Or is Australia now the centre of the universe??
There’s virtually not a “civilised” country on the entire planet without covid19 restrictions.
I’ll bet me left one that someone will reply with “It’s a world conspiracy”? I mean, we’ve had Nazis, Joseph Goebbels, A test for Communism, Police states, To Bill Gates funding The whole thing!
Unbelievable....
I
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 12-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #1509
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
I mean, we’ve had Nazis, Joseph Goebbels, A test for Communism, Police states, To Bill Gates funding The whole thing!
Unbelievable....
I
You forgot those damn Aliens.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #1510
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
but i get it you dont like it and feel you shouldnt be restricted by any laws as they are all stupid and dont relate to you
Can you please point to one of my posts that says that? I’ll wait. Don’t know why my point about it mostly being dangerous to older people and those with existing health issues has to do with the restrictions. I never mentioned them.

Nice job making that up though

You missed the point i was making about how coronavirus is being overhyped. Im fine with the restrictions although they probably go a bit too far here in vic, but it hasn’t changed much for me so it doesn’t bother me.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #1511
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You’re all carrying on like Australia is the only place in the world with these inconvenient restrictions?
FFS... Have a feckin look outside ya self centred little bubbles.... Or is Australia now the centre of the universe??
There’s virtually not a “civilised” country on the entire planet without covid19 restrictions.
I’ll bet me left one that someone will reply with “It’s a world conspiracy”? I mean, we’ve had Nazis, Joseph Goebbels, A test for Communism, Police states, To Bill Gates funding The whole thing!
Unbelievable....
I
How many restrictions and closures have the USA forced on its own citizens? Or are they only 'recommendations'?
Old 12-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #1512
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This whole thing could be done and dusted in this country if people just do the right thing for a few weeks.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #1513
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Unbelievable....
I

It's human nature to lash out whenever they feel threatened so that's what's happening.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #1514
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
How many restrictions and closures have the USA forced on its own citizens? Or are they only 'recommendations'?
Whatever they did or are now doing, it's not worked out very well. They are paying the price in lives lost. Trump seems to be more worried about the economy than his citizens wellbeing.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #1515
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a question guys.

If Australia was virus free with our external boarders fully locked down and only allowing people in via a strict quarantine regime say a Month with ongoing testing is there any downside by not interacting with the rest of the World?

With that in place all internal restrictions could go & everyone could get back to normal.

We could do without tourism, overseas uni students and international travel although it could still take place via quarantine.

Got me thinking, I wonder if we will see a World divided by clean & dirty countries.
Clean countries could still interact with each other without restriction so long as they had the same external border controls.

People could still leave they would just have to go though the mill to get back in.

Serious question, could we do that?
Old 12-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #1516
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

E: Big picture view:
No, because Australia's economy is based on tourism,overseas students and international travel and goods.

We have nothing besides that. Our own populous can't support are own industries so we don't have much secondary industry either. Even if we're clean we rely too much on the rest of the world for goods (selling and buying). What ships or aircraft would come here if we held them up and disinfected/quarantined them for lengthy delays? What customer would buy stuff from b&m retailers if they had to wait weeks for it to come from overseas?
Old 12-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #1517
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Probably not enough, considering that they now have almost 1 third of the world's total reported cases.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
Old 12-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #1518
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post

If Australia was virus free with our external boarders fully locked down and only allowing people in via a strict quarantine regime say a Month with ongoing testing is there any downside by not interacting with the rest of the World?

With that in place all internal restrictions could go & everyone could get back to normal.

We could do without tourism, overseas uni students and international travel although it could still take place via quarantine.

Got me thinking, I wonder if we will see a World divided by clean & dirty countries.
Clean countries could still interact with each other without restriction so long as they had the same external border controls.

People could still leave they would just have to go though the mill to get back in.

It wouldn't be possible from an economic perspective because of the global supply chain and Australia's dependency on trade with China.

Our universities are built around educating foreign students, they're cash cows on full fee paying hundreds of thousands.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #1519
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
Probably not enough, considering that they now have almost 1 third of the world's total reported cases.
What's the real figure out of China, the CCP isn't known for its honesty.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #1520
MercuryT
Banned

Interesting how Woolies sold out of most stock yet my local grocery store has pretty much everything.

Strange times.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #1521
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:

Huge changes await for people traveling, I would suggest that there will need to be a globally agreed standards/certification before allowing anyone to travel from one country to another. You’ll need 100% proof that you’re virus free before stepping onto a plane. The days of ‘open’ travel are over at least for the next 2-5 years. I’m of the opinion the cruise ship industry is sunk.

The big task to is keep australia spinning and to do so we need spare parts for cars, trucks, machinery, technology, telecommunications etc. Many of these items are made in China.

There would still be hundreds of thousands of people unable to work because they are/were employed in the global supply and demand of goods and services which will take months to restore.

Also there are already strong recriminations against China, extracting oneself from China will be a long and costly process. IMO long term China is finished, companies will be instructed to cease Chinese manufacturing operations and come on-shore or find divergent manufacturing.

Last edited by cheap; 12-04-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #1522
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Franco, Lots of states there are declaring "state of emergency" like us here in Victoria and NSW hence the restriction laws and powers the police have to enforce them, when it passes they will naturally lift those restrictions.

Old 12-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #1523
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Its a pity Australia didn't do this straight up, close international borders instead of state ones but greed won.

Old 12-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #1524
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Its a pity Australia didn't do this straight up, close international borders instead of state ones but greed won.
Tassie were best handling this quickly and pro-actively.

Still hasn't stopped cases but yes i think other States slow to react.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #1525
hayseed

Quote:

Interesting times politically, I'm predicting 20% GST on the horizon.

My predictions are;
GST of 15%
End of Franking Credits.
removal of the 50% reduction in Capital Gains tax...
Some type of Death Tax.

Our Kids will be paying for this for Decades to Come I reckon..
Old 12-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #1526
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely we can send and receive freight without human interactions, we're probably doing it now.
Uni students could quarantine for a month or go to a virus ridden country, their choice, same for tourists.
I called for a border lockdown 15/2/20 in the other thread, we had 5 cases at that time.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #1527
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
My predictions are;
GST of 15%
End of Franking Credits.
removal of the 50% reduction in Capital Gains tax...
Some type of Death Tax.

Our Kids will be paying for this for Decades to Come I reckon..
Add increase to excise on fuel also
Old 12-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #1528
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going on the absolute base numbers 6300 cases nationwide detected with 59 fatalities ... 0.93% fatality rate at the minute .

Look at Europe and the USA and such .. The UK had almost a thousand go yesterday and are nearly to 10,000 all up already . We all know about Italy , Spain , France etc..The U.S. is 20,000 plus .

Apart from the cruise ship balls up we're doing pretty well .

Maybe we should be grateful we're not yet running up massive numbers with cases and deceased .

No matter what we'll gripe about what happens next, when things resume , too much media content (my pet hate) , when social gatherings , hospital and nursing home visits are more normal again and if sport returns etc.

We can temper our gripes when we look at our current situation compared to most of the rest of the planet .

Last edited by roddy1960; 12-04-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #1529
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
All evidence to the contrary bloke, we’re not under house arrest in WA.
Yet! See how the next month pans out eh
Old 12-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #1530
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/04/0....activity.Mail
Closed Thread