Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default 2017 Mercedes-AMG E63 S new car review

Quote:
2017 Mercedes-AMG E63 S new car review

A bi-turbo V8 in a big luxury sedan makes for an interesting experience.

Drive

Daniel DeGasperi

25 May 2017

2017 Mercedes-AMG E63 S. Photo: Chris Benny Imaging

Manolo Blahniks and forestry trails. Airbus A380 First Class and hooligans. A large luxurious passenger sedan cabin and a hardcore driving experience. Of these apparent clashes the new Mercedes-AMG E63 S thrusts the last one into the spotlight and owns it.

There is no other way to introduce a full-sized five-seater with high-resolution widescreens, debonair circular silver air vents and black-ash woodgrain trim panelling. Oh, plus tombstone bucket sports seats, a micro-fibre steering wheel and 850Nm under the bonnet.

The latest E-Class flagship trades the old 800Nm 5.5-litre bi-turbo V8 for a 4.0-litre that now adds 50Nm. Enter a new nine-speed automatic and an all-wheel drive system (which can turn rear-wheel drive at a button-press) and one very aggressive posh sedan is the result.

One that, for $239,900 plus on-road costs, claims 0-100km/h in 3.4 seconds and even with $10K-optional carbon-ceramic brakes is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than before.

Over 300km of often greasy Victorian high country roads, the contrasting virtues of the latest E63 S kept bouncing for attention - with many of them regularly succeeding.

Being hungry for the road ahead grabs the driver first, of course. So quickly does this engine rev, and pile on speed, that using the paddleshifters requires faster reactions than playing a game of snap if snagging the 7000rpm redline is to be avoided. The rich tenor of the V8 immediately impresses, the exhaust blurting, booming and bursting in extra volume.

Yet in Comfort the engine is silky and quiet, the auto purring between ratios and the tri-flap sports exhaust is mute. Ride quality on 20-inch rims is only just comfortable enough, never plush but with enough thump and road noise to remind occupants that this is no base E200.

This is the first E63 to use an AMG-tuned version of Benz's Airmatic air suspension, and it especially proves its worth with a quick change to Sport mode.

Tightly controlled and firmly planted without being hard, it could have been engineered on bumpy Australian backroads. There is no need for the tighter Sport+ suspension setting, although there certainly is for the drivetrain setting. Thankfully, an Individual mode allows the driver to select, for example, Sport+ engine and transmission with Sport suspension.

There is also a Drift Mode that makes this AMG permanently rear-wheel-driven, but it turns electronic stability control (ESC) off and is for racetrack use only. Unlike the Ford Focus RS setting of the same name, it doesn't help a driver hold a powerslide. It is simply rear-drive.

It's the chassis that most steps up over the last model.

Gone is the slight hard-driven edginess, the entertaining but delicate dance between containing understeer and oversteer and tip-toeing around ESC intrusion. The new chassis offers composure and control at the front-end, while sitting flat and gripping intently. Yet the visceral appeal of old is not lost.

In Sport+ when the dynamic engine mounts are hardened, the majestic dashboard starts to quiver as feedback shivers through the tightened steering. It feels as though the steering wheel is drilled intimately into the front axle, which in turn is wound into the road surface. The almost telepathically sharp steering is then matched by superb throttle response and the intelligent new all-wheel drive system.

Not in an Audi RS6 Avant/RS7 Sportback, nor the soon-to-be replaced BMW M5, is the driver sent so much feedback and communication.

The E63 S also sends 100 per cent of drive to the back 295mm-wide Pirellis unless slip is detected. In corners the throttle can be lightly stoked, like you would a glowing fireplace in winter, to result in a slight nip-and-tuck of the quad-exhaust-tipped end of this sedan.

However, after all this intensity - and if it sounds too hardcore a $30K-cheaper regular E63 will be available from December without the clever torque vectoring - this is still an E-Class.

It reads lane markings and attempts to keep the car inside them, and it has three climate zones to pamper back passengers who are treated to headroom and legroom aplenty. It sits at 1500rpm at 110km/h in ninth gear and can shut down four cylinders to save fuel when cruising, as occupants gently crank the Burmester audio system.

Admittedly, an RS7 is more refined in terms of ride comfort and noise suppression. Its mongrel is only found in the hardest of hard driving, and right there it's brilliant. The E63 S makes no apologies for being a bit fizzy, raw and connected just like the model it replaces.

Only now, like muddy boots mixed with high heels, or a hooligan in first class who has become more restrained with the free alcohol, the edges of a big brute have been polished to deliver newfound chassis composure, high-end cabin class and first-rate technology. But be assured that a brutal beast still - thankfully - lurks within.

2017 Mercedes-AMG E63 price and specifications

Price: From $239,900 (plus on-road costs)

Engine: 4.0-litre V8 twin-turbo petrol

Power: 450kW at 5750-6500rpm

Torque: 850Nm at 2500-4500rpm; all-wheel drive

Fuel use: 9.3L/100km

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-revi...omePageReview7

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: 2017 Mercedes-AMG E63 S new car review

dream sedan right there!
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
dream sedan right there!
Agree, time for an upgrade. In my dreams.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some say if you pop out the wedged in tablet screen there is old analogue gauges behind it
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

'From $239,900'

Gee the Falcon and Commodore looks like real good value, too bad you don't know what you got until its gone, right?

$240K You're talking 7 series LWB spondoolies, the E class is a small sedan isn't it?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
'From $239,900'

Gee the Falcon and Commodore looks like real good value, too bad you don't know what you got until its gone, right?

$240K You're talking 7 series LWB spondoolies, the E class is a small sedan isn't it?
No, E Class is a large sedan, C class is the small one.
Old 28-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Love AMG's but the styling of the lastest c and e isn't doing it for me at all. They just look soft.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
GTMOND

Dash layout, with the bloody monster screen, looks too add on for me.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$110k in the US. I am not surprised that it's more in Aus, but it's more than double!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #10
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Don't know if its just me or not, but lately I seem to be seeing a whole lot more of high performance Mercs including AMG sedans and coupes on Melbourne's roads.

Anybody else noticing this increase?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

What's with the see through items on the engine cover?
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
Don't know if its just me or not, but lately I seem to be seeing a whole lot more of high performance Mercs including AMG sedans and coupes on Melbourne's roads.

Anybody else noticing this increase?
"Mercedes-Benz Australia sold over 4000 of their performance AMG models in 2015, the highest per capita sales rate of any country in the world. It’s also around 13% of their 31,700 cars sold in Australia throughout the year."

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...ne-else-2016-1
Old 29-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #13
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love these things, would have one in a heartbeat if I had the coin.... And I would have it white with the black rims just like in the photo's..

Cant even compare this to the Falcon or Commodore as they aren't in the same ball park...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
adz137

Car-advice clocked it at 3.3 sec to 100. This and the Audi RS6 plus are my dream family cars, if only i could win the lotto, haha.
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #15
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
2017 Mercedes-AMG E63 price and specifications

Price: From $239,900 (plus on-road costs)

Engine: 4.0-litre V8 twin-turbo petrol

Power: 450kW at 5750-6500rpm

Torque: 850Nm at 2500-4500rpm; all-wheel drive

Fuel use: 9.3L/100km
I've said this before, and it still amazes me how the Germans can make these immensely powerful and fast cars, yet still maintain pretty great fuel economy! How do they do it??
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #16
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner View Post
I've said this before, and it still amazes me how the Germans can make these immensely powerful and fast cars, yet still maintain pretty great fuel economy! How do they do it??
Not a reflection of the real world.
All lab based.
Old 29-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #17
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Turbos. Once the snails go to work it's game over. Keep in mind it's only a 4L engine and needs a lot of air crammed down its throat before you're getting your 450kw. On boost/off boost are like two different engines.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #18
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Gotta be the twin turbos pumping all that oxygen in.

I remember when the BA XR6T came out and 240kW was impressive.

But the 3.0 litre I6 M3 was pumping out the same figures with not a single turbo under the bonnet.....There all N/A.

Its all in the Variable Camshaft Timing.....Very complicated and lots and lots of mechanical and electronic parts under the rocker cover.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #19
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post

But the 3.0 litre I6 M3 was pumping out the same figures with not a single turbo under the bonnet.....There all N/A.

Its all in the Variable Camshaft Timing.....Very complicated and lots and lots of mechanical and electronic parts under the rocker cover.
GT3 RS, pumping out 368kw from flat 6 NA.
Old 29-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #20
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The great think about Turbocharging is it does'nt take any power from the engine to turn it/them like supercharging does.

And Turbo technology is now becoming so advanced that lag is very minimal.
Old 30-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #21
marcyeo

Quote:
Pretty sure its got cylinder deactivation as well?

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #22
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
'From $239,900'

AMG makes FPV and HSV products look crap.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #23
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Not a reflection of the real world.
All lab based.
ALL cars are tested according to the same ADR procedure so a DIRECT comparison between models can be made. FPV and HSV models under the SAME test conditions use more fuel than the AMG. That real world fuel consumption figures are above the ADR figure is a reflection of how unrealistic is the ADR test cycle.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 01-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #24
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
BS.
With what AMG are charging for some of their beautiful machinery one would hope that they would have a better machine. To say they make the FPV/HSV brand look crap is just snob arrogance.

When someone like Mark Webber praises the F6 (wanted to take one back to Europe) that says a lot about the FPV product. FPV is done, but Fme, if you're driving a 1/4 million AMG it's ****en obvious what the better machine is - doesn't take anything away from an awesome F6 or W1 and the like.

I will buy an AMG in the future, but I'd never stoop low enough or be arrogant to the point of making that statement.

As Dick Johnson said, he's mate owns a lot of exotics and sold his M5 for the F6.

What AMG have you owned or ridden in?

Last edited by GasoLane; 01-06-2017 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Not necessary
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #25
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's just being a badge snob. Typical butt hurt Ford fan.

But that E63 is just horn
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #26
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
What AMG have you owned or ridden in?
A friend owns a W204 C63 and it goes like stink. Sounds horn as well.
another friend own a W205 C63s but a yet to get a ride in it.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 02-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #27
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with all these 'high end' cars is the astronomical servicing costs.

Family friends of ours bought a BMW X5 when they first came out.

About 5 years later they were told buy BMW to sell it as the repair bills were going to cost something like 15k.

SO they sold it and bought a Territory lol!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #28
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
The problem with all these 'high end' cars is the astronomical servicing costs.

Family friends of ours bought a BMW X5 when they first came out.

About 5 years later they were told buy BMW to sell it as the repair bills were going to cost something like 15k.

SO they sold it and bought a Territory lol!
Goes without saying, can't afford to maintain, can't afford the car.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #29
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The great think about Turbocharging is it does'nt take any power from the engine to turn it/them like supercharging does.

And Turbo technology is now becoming so advanced that lag is very minimal.
Superchargers have this wonderful little thing called a bypass valve.

So no they require very little power to spin off boost.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #30
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A friend owns a W204 C63 and it goes like stink. Sounds horn as well.
another friend own a W205 C63s but a yet to get a ride in it.
They do sound bloody nice, and for the price they'd want to.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post